11. Taemin

Giddy

(OST- Footsteps by Taemin for Prime Minister and I OST)


“Is this where we can see you pick your nose?” I just smiled embarrassed at Jonghyun hyung’s loudly spoken teasing. He and Minho hyung had come to give me support but from how it was turning out it seemed that it would be nowhere like that.

Minho nudged him in the arm. “Maybe we’ll see him talking with Bomi-sshi. Do you like her Taemin?”

Alarmed and taken off my guard I shook my head. “No it’s not anything like that hyung!”

“Oh sure,” they both kept on teasing. I heaved a sigh. It was like them to joke with me. I guess it was because they could see how tired I appeared to be. The results of every live show made me worried because I didn’t know how many dancers would be left.

I went to my seat on the stage when I saw someone standing next to Shin Dongup. No it couldn’t be. My spirit soared as I recognised them from closer up. She was in a white blouse and a bright pink skirt and black heels. Her hair had been tied in a ponytail and she had white and red bracelets on one arm. Even with a cute outfit like that she still was a stunning woman.

My arm was getting nudged and I realised Bomi next me was the culprit. She winked at me and I realised that I’d been busted. Their company must have wanted them to wear the same sponsor for she had the same style skirt but it was in mint green, her shirt was a t-shirt instead. She leaned in and whispered to me. “Have you spoken to her yet?”

I said no and then whispered back, “I haven’t had the chance.” My face started to flush when out senior Poppin Jung Hoon spoke to us.
“You two look like a couple.”

“Ah that isn’t true—“

“You could be right hyung.” Oh Jaewook hyung not you too! Bomi stopped talking to me afterwards and I didn’t blame her. More people seemed to have caught on and appeared to give us both quick glances. At least Naeun didn’t appear to have heard it.

The audience was hushed as the music played and the show began to film.
“Welcome back to Naeun-sshi who had a brief break for the past two weeks.” There was wild applause for her and a rather obvious whistle. Minho hyung you will pay for that.

“Thank you, I will fulfil my duty to work hard on the show and finish what I began three weeks ago.”

“Excellent now let’s begin.” The rest of the show went smoothly. And then were the results for this week’s performances. We glanced at the screen for scoring of each time. There was a cheer as Hyun Joon senior’s team were first and Bomi’s second.

“Who will be last?” Shin Dongup asked Naeun.

“Indeed who can it be?”

Fortunately it was Jaewook hyung’s team and I found myself more relieved than I had expected to be. Safe for this week at least; there was no knowing how they would perform the week after.

“Now onto last place,” Naeun said. So far Jaewook’s team had come first, Hyung Joon senior’s team second. It was between me and Bomi for last. If I was last again then this would be for the second time since week two.

“Naeun-sshi, it’s between your team member and your former husband. Do you have any idea of who the unfortunate team will be?”

I sensed my pride starting to twist. Naeun shrugged and people laughed. She had played it safe and for once I was relieved she didn’t express herself more this once.

“Let us find out.”

There was flashing as the name came up. I found myself stuck to my seat. Everyone let out gasps or exclamations of shock. Even the MC’s were stunned.
“Whoa Bomi-sshi congratulations you managed to stay out of the dreaded last place.” He then turned to me. “Taemin-sshi this must be your worst nightmare. Second week of eliminations and you’re here again how does it feel?”

“Ah,” my voice was deflated. “It really is a blow to my confidence and that of the teams. I have such good dancers… To have someone leave again is disappointing.”

There were sympathetic nods from the MC’s. Naeun did you really feel for me?

“So now it is on to the dance off. Oh what to do,” Naeun said reading off the script. “Let’s start with the males. Remember this is your last chance so do your best.”

“Is there anyone that you are going to root for?” Shin Dongup asked. I sat right up in my chair. What kind of question was this?!

Even she seemed a bit bewildered at getting put on the spot. “Umm, Park S-Seungwoo,” she stammered. Some of the responses from the crowd were a little dubious and I only hoped they weren’t trying to encourage more.

Shin Dongup nodded. “Ah he is one of the best dancers in Taemin-sshi’s team. Let’s hope our judge over there doesn’t cut him.” Some people laughed while I couldn’t help but glare a little at him. Naeun’s expression didn’t look good when she saw my face however a moment later it had become composed and unyielding to any conflicted emotions.

Naeun, why do I feel like that was a stab in my back?

“Now we’ve seen all the dancers show what they’re made of,” Shin Dongup shared. “Taemin-sshi we’ll give you a moment to collect your thoughts and we’ll replay the highlight from last week.”

Everyone was talking as they watched Jaewook’s team complete a well synchronised part in their last group performance. I had to stop and think, go over how all the members went. Seungwoo would survive simply because he outshone the others in the solo. So I picked a guy I knew hadn’t been keeping up with the rest of the group. The girl was harder. I had three on my mind. The moment I chose one there would be another outpouring of tears.

“Taemin-sshi,” Naeun said as the crowds were focusing on us again. “Have you decided on your dancers?”

I nodded pressing my microphone on. “It was a hard choice and… I’m sorry Kang Junggyu and Kang Joonah but you will be leaving tonight.”

Her face crumpled and it crushed my heart. She had been my favourite female dancer. Unfortunately her level of performing had been decreasing and the stress of the show was taking its toll on her.

Bomi patted me on the back as I slowly stood up. “Let’s give them one last round of applause,” Naeun said and everyone did. They stepped aside to let me join them and the other dancers on the stage to say goodbyes.

“I’m Son Naeun.”

“And I’m Shin Dongup,” was the echo.

“Until next time, see you again.” They signed off while we group hugged the two leaving contestants. There was so much noise that I couldn’t hear half of what I was saying. I only heard my voice say ‘I’m sorry’ over and over again.

Joonah came over to me and I was saying it to her with a strained voice. “Thank you for the chance sunbae,” she said while crying. Reaching to her I patted her on the back, swallowing hard. I had to keep my hand there as she tried to restrain sobs. Meanwhile I could see Naeun walking off with a stylist close by.

“Sorry Taemin,” Bomi said to me as we walked back to our dressing rooms. “No one likes being in the bottom. It’s probably the main reason why my team works so hard for long hours.”

“Nothing can be done,” I replied with a heavy heart. No one likes being last. “But I missed my chance to speak to her.”

The way her face twisted suggested she may disagree. I asked her why she was looking at me like that.“W-Well… Another chance will come. I’m sure of it.”

I was glad for her sympathy for the time being. I just hoped that chance will come quickly. Just to be even surer I prayed for it as I walked into my changing room. Slipping into black jeans, a white hoodie, a cap and black sneakers I felt more like myself. Lee Taemin, the shy, happy youngest member of SHINee.

 Walking out Minoh hyung closed the door for me. A door close by shut as well. Turning to the side I saw her leaving with her manager.

Naeun, it can’t be.

“Hyung please wait for a moment,” I was hurrying after them without even consciously realising it. Pushing past her surprised manager I grabbed her on the shoulder. She spun around, eyes widening as she saw me.

“Naeun, please wait. “ I glanced at her manager who was bewildered by what I had done. Minoh hyung came after me and they greeted each other before starting to catch up.  She pushed her hair away from her face.  Why wasn’t she saying anything?

“Naeun, can we talk?” My voice was pleading, “Just for a moment?”

She glanced at her manager who was immersed in their funny conversation. Wetting her bottom lip as though she was trying to check something by applying saliva she nodded at last and we went for a walk.

Neither of us spoke as we found ourselves in the back of the studio just next to the backstage door. Light peeped through the slight gap. Naeun put her hands in the pockets in her jacket.
“Naeun I was just—“

“—I changed my number.” Pausing for a moment I patiently waited. “I didn’t tell you since… I felt it didn’t matter…” Her words trailed off along with her gaze.

“I know,” I said to her. “I guess I didn’t know when to ask you.” She nodded. I changed the subject. “Anyway how are things?”

She shrugged as though it was nothing important. “Not a lot. My drama’s finished, just filming the show with you.” A second later she added, “What about you T-Taemin?”

It wasn’t formal but not quite completely comfortable again. “Finished promoting for now; I’ll have a comeback in a few months though. Plus the show—“

We paused as we heard our names being called. Naeun’s was by a female, Bomi I presumed. She looked at me. “Let’s hurry back. T-they’re waiting for us.”

“Wait,” I said to her. “Do you have a pen on you?” She paused. I almost thought she would decline. However she opened her small bag and took one out.  Taking her hand I scribbled numbers on her palm. She had such soft skin.

I chuckled and she asked why. “Your hands are cold; did you miss me warming them for you?” She pulled away abruptly turning her hand over. “In case you want to be in touch again.”

She nodded and walked away. I came after her as Minoh hyung found me, reprimanded me and took me straight to our vehicle.

At least I had taken initiative to do it again. It was not as romantic but it was important to me. I just hoped she wouldn’t wash off my touch and leave me hanging like she had done that one time back stage.

A longer chapter with some exciting stuff! Are you pleased readers?!