17. Taemin

Giddy

(OST- That Winter Story by The One)

How everything fell apart so soon I have no idea.

We had finished practicing that night or should I say early morning for my comeback. The time read three thirty three in the morning. I was walking to my car which I had parked at least a block or two away in an underground car park. The company had organised us to use their facilities under a confidentiality agreement that no one but the staff that worked in the building would know we were there and anyone who blew a whistle was fired immediately.

“Hello Taemin.”

I froze. Chills came down my body like I had been in a blizzard in the end of September. Glancing around it was still dark so I didn’t notice anyone at first. But then a shape moved and I jumped. They came closer and I recognised the face as long nailed hands pulled down the black hood.

It’s her.

No, why is she here? Why is she standing there watching me like that? Thoughts like that ran through my head.

She smiled and chuckled, I didn’t know what to do. “It’s been a while hasn’t it?” Her voice sounded sarcastic. “I guess it must be luck that I would happen to meet you like this on the street in the middle of nowhere.”

Luck or was it a nightmare?

Sooner or later I would have to say her name and so I did. “Jiyeon… H-how have you been?”

“Do you hate saying my name?” She said cynically. “Because there’s a member in a girl group with my name do you hate her too?”

“Who said I hated you?” I said trying to stay calm. “Why don’t you leave please?” I had no reason to argue with her but she stayed where she was.

Her hand went to her sleeve and rolled up the fabric. I saw the white link around her wrist with the circular face. Why was she still wearing it? Even though things were over with us?

She caught my eye and then revealed the watch entirely. “Still surprised that I wear this right?”

“You should have thrown it out.”

“But it is the only thing that you ever gave me; aside from disappointment and hurt.”

“I told you that I was busy!”

“Lies,” I jumped at this. Jiyeon’s eyes were filled with venom even though I was being honest. “I know you Lee Taemin. You would lie about your mother’s age if it meant you looked like a filial son. You can’t fool me.”

I had enough. Turning I made it look as though I was planning to leave. “We’re finished, don’t come to me again.” I felt my heart be struck like it was a dull gong when something tugged my arm causing me to stop. I didn’t have to look back to know it was her hand.

“Taemin, as mean as I may have sounded you know it’s because I don’t know how to love tenderly.” She began, “that’s what I’ve realised these past few years and I want to be with someone who can, even if they can’t give me things.” It didn’t take long before I realised what she meant.

I freed my arm, not facing her still. “Jiyeon, I cannot. I am sorry… I have a girlfriend.”

When I did glance back I could see a scowl darkening her face. How I had found her so pretty once upon a time I have no clue. Jiyeon spoke with an edge to her voice.
“Fine, you had your chance. Just know that this time… You won’t get rid of me so easily.”

It was then that her phone ran and I high tailed it out of there. Turning around a corner I grasped my jacket, panting and confused. What was she talking about? What did she mean that I wouldn’t be rid of her?  Why did I have such a bad feeling about it?


 

Having little to no sleep when you only get a few each night is a curse to an idol. I couldn’t think straight over what had happened. Meeting Jiyeon again like that had messed up me up badly. But it isn’t like we broke up that badly.

Truthfully, she’s older than me. Yes I dated an older woman but that was because at the time she had appeared childish like me. And the gap was only eight months which isn’t that much if you think about it.

Anyway it wasn’t long before my company called. “Your… Ex-girlfriend wants an apology for the way you treated her while dating.” The representative spoke with a lot of caution. “Everyone is asking questions and dispatch has already released two articles with her own words.”

How she managed to reach the press so quickly was suspicious. “I’m sorry I will go to them and clear it up.”

“You don’t need to,” he cut me off. “We’re taking care of it as we speak.” What did he mean by that? Were they planning to bribe her? Find a way to silence her already loose tongue?

In the end I had no control over what they did. “Alright… I understand,” hanging up I felt like all my energy had been drained from the conversation. I had a radio show appearance to do soon I needed to cheer up within the next three hours.

My phone went off and I saw a message. Immediately I felt my body become numb. I didn’t have the heart to say anything to my girlfriend right now. However I was intrigued by what she had to say.

I need you to respond.

I quickly typed back an answer. Where are you? Let’s meet

Not now, in the middle of filming I am on a break.

I will come to you! Tell me which studio.

It didn’t take long for her to reply. No… I’ll see you when I can. Just wait.

Even though her messages didn’t have a tone in them I knew that she was trying to be brave without expressing any hurt, disappointment or pain. It made me feel even worse.

I heard nothing from Naeun for the next hour and a half until she gave me another message to say that she was free two days from then. As much as I wanted to badly see her I also was terribly afraid like I was about to face a death sentence and its very contradictory compared to the usual mood I am in when I see her lovely face.

 

It was raining. The sky was crying heavy tears that dropped in messy splotches. Soon it became a constant patter that drenched my head and very soon the jacket I was wearing. Trust me to forget an umbrella.

I had been waiting for about twenty minutes and had heard nothing from her. I began to worry. Would she come at all? Or did the recent shock from Jiyeon’s reveal cause her to keep away.

“Sorry for being late.” I saw her walking over, a mahogany red umbrella used as her canopy against the weather. Her hair had been cut, it wasn’t much shorter but it gave more definition to the lengths and layers.

I shook my head. She came closer and we stood, face to face; her white clothing different to my black ensemble. Long ago the image would have been reversed.

“Naeun,” I coughed covering my mouth. “Naeun don’t listen to what she’s saying. I didn’t hurt her. She’s just upset that I broke up with her. It’s because she had been using me to gain—“

“No don’t,” I paused at her short speech. “Don’t say anymore.”

She didn’t understand. “Naeun-ah I’m serious! That’s why she’s doing this. I found out I was being used, I ended the relationship and now she’s—“

“—OPPA STOP LYING!”

Bam

I could have been shot if that sentence had been a bullet. Standing there senseless I just blinked in complete lack of control. She wet her bottom lips as she tried to form words together.

“D-do you remember… Do you remember why we ended in the first place?” Naeun’s voice shook as she tried to recall. “You said you wouldn’t go there… I told you why I didn’t want you there because the place wasn’t good but you did.” I winced at the end. “You went there, got so drunk that some strange girl had to call for you to take a taxi home.”

She had started to shake as she continued. “Why did you lie to me? And why did you have to let me find out through the television?!”

I had to speak again. “Naeun that was back when I was young and stupid; I am a lot more sensible now than before.”

“Then why did you lie about being alone ever since we dated?” She hesitated, thinking over something. With some resignation in her tone she spoke.
“Oppa you asked me once if I could trust you?"  Her voice was taught, eyes b with tears. I watched her; she tightened the clench in her fists. "Well would you... Would you Oppa?"
 
To that I had no answer. But then again I realised that I couldn’t be the only one at fault. “Well if you weren’t so stuck on your whole eternal love concept then I could have told you that yes there was an ex!”

It was true it had annoyed me for a while. Naeun said nothing to me in response. Instead she swallowed hard. “I guess this is it… I can’t be with you if you won’t be honest. Do you even really like me Taemin?”

This got me irked. “I can’t believe you would doubt it!” I snapped a little harder than maybe I should have. “I gave you so much Son Naeun but it seems that you are never sure of it! I can’t be with a girl who is stuck in the middle.”

I left pretty quickly. We had meant to fix our relationship but in the end I had gotten angry and stormed away, taking the rain with me. I didn’t even care that I had no umbrella with me.

There we go, we have the answer to why they split up in the first place and the second answer to how Taemin lied about not being with someone before he got back with Naeun. I hope this has helped all of you who were wondering and now the question is 'where do they go from here?'