24. Naeun

Giddy

(OST – Secret Garden by Apink)

Sitting in the restaurant we waited for the food to come out. The side dishes such as the kimchi and the lettuce to wrap the meat were set before us on the table and Eunji unnie the biggest drinker had begun pouring the beer.
“It sure is busy here, careful unnie the plate is getting hot.”

Our leader smiled briefly at Namjoo for her concern. Checking my phone I saw that the only message I had was from Saeun. It had been a while since I saw the family last. The last time had been at my birthday.

“What does your dongsaeng say?” Hayoung had been reading over my shoulder.

“She just wants to see me.” I answered, “I don’t blame her. I have a lot to tell her.”

The others leaned in, their ears tuned in. “Yes such as the love story which could potentially be the biggest scandal of all time.” My face started to heat up.

“What is the story with you and Taemin? Why did you say you wanted to see him again and at Jeju Island?”

Pausing I sipped my beer, hoping the strong alcohol would open my heart and loosen my tongue. “It is complicated… It’s a third chance for him.”

Bomi unnie sighed and Eunji unnie shook her head. “You’re too kind Naeun. If it had been me I would have given him a goodbye.”

“Well…” I giggled, suddenly realising what he was doing. “He doesn’t want to give up on me so… I’m going to see if he’ll be patient enough to wait for me like I have waited for him.”

Hayoung spoke up. “Are you sure it’s not because of the kiss…?”

“WHAT KISS IS THIS?!” We felt many pairs of eyes all staring at our table. If there had been any way to blow our cover then this was it. Lowering our heads and turning to each other we also toned down the volume of our voices.

“Naeun… When did he kiss you? Why did you say nothing about it?”

I had to think, it had been a while. “It was shortly after the news of his ex-girlfriend came into the open. At the end of December, we had a talk, I tried to leave and then he chased after me.” I said remembering. They looked at me gobsmacked. The waiter had to clear his throat to bring the meat we had bought to cook up.
“Wow,” Bomi unnie said. “He’s more reckless than I thought. It’s the sort of thing a bad boy would do. So are you expecting to see him in Jeju Island?”

I shrugged, watching the meat that Namjoo placed on the pan sizzling away. “I would hope so… But maybe I won’t. In a week’s time I’ll see.”


 


 

Even though spring had come it still felt a little cold when I arrived at Jeju Island for the photoshoot. The concept was warm pastel tones with the feeling of newly blossomed nature. From baby blue overalls with white, knee high socks to a pale pink dress similar to the one I wore for part of the We Got Married photo shoot it sure matched the warmer but not boiling hot weather.

The locations of the shots had been in the forest, the same one Taemin and I had walked in, a waterfall which I had to stand near and a temple with a lovely lake and rocky garden.

“Here,” the director for the shoot had bought a bunch of flowers on our journey to the fields. He handed the small bouquet of pink, lilac and yellow blossoms to me, “for this group you can imagine that you look like a bride walking to meet your groom.”

It felt weird, posing as a bride. I was twenty six years of age and the thoughts of marriage had grown stronger over the past view years. Wearing a long white dress with lace at the shoulders, a wreath of roses on my head, I guess I must have looked like some sort of vintage bride except I didn’t have any shoes on.

Walking with the flowers held before me I imagined seeing my husband to be. I ignored the cold ground underneath my feet and strolled in a slow pace. It made me think of how Taemin would feel on that day. Would he be smiling bravely at his bride to be or would he let tears fall? Would his suit be white or black? Would he even have a tuxedo and wedding dress wedding?

“Naeun look up,” stopping the thought train I lifted my head up and they took a picture. I blinked; the sun had gotten in my face.

The head photographer called it quits for the day as the sun was starting to set. We would be up early the day after for the final photos before flying back to Seoul.

He hadn’t called me. I wondered if he knew that we would only be here for two days. Maybe he thought it was the week after. He could have forgotten, but maybe he should have looked at my text I had sent that morning.

Flying to Jeju, will be here until tomorrow 10:30pm.



 

The phone ringing in my ear was an unexpected wake up call. Sitting up I glanced at the time. It was ten to five. The shoot wasn’t supposed to start until six. What happened to them waking me at five?

“Hello?” I answered and regretting how groggy my voice was sounding so early in the morning.


“Good morning, sorry to wake you like this; you received a message which says you are to come to the Seven Nymphs Bridge at five thirty.”


“Did they say who they were?”

“Their name is Lee,” I thanked them and hung up. I wondered if the staff would get upset if I disappeared for a bit before the shoot. Who was this Lee? Was it someone I knew well? Was it their first name or was it…

It couldn’t be.

Quickly flipping off the covers I hurried to have a shower. Getting changed into a loose apricot coloured dress with a grey rope belt and a white cardigan I slipped on some white lace up shoes, left my hair down and hurried to the bottom floor of the hotel to grab a quick pick me up in the form of a coffee with a double shot.

I saw a taxi and hailed it down before the driver pulled away. Getting in I told him the place and he took me to the park where Cheonjeyeon Waterfall was. Thanking him I paid the fare before hurrying to the map showing the location of the bridge. It was going to be a long walk.

I felt worn out by the time I reached the grand bridge. The sun was close to coming up, the sky tinged pink and warm orange. The structure itself was red and white in colour. The railing was lined with lanterns; the sides had seven celestial creatures or nymphs as the legend referred to dancing away in the waves of the water created by white swirls.

Glancing around it was hard catch sight of my mystery visitor whoever it was. Looking at the bridge I spotted someone standing at the top. He waved to me. He was dressed in a V-neck grey shirt, black jeans and a leather jacket which he’d left ped.

I had to shield my eyes slightly as the sun was starting to rise. He was the same height, the same build…

“Naeun,” he called out and I felt my heart soaring in my chest. “I called you here for a special reason.”

These words made me pause and feel warm inside. He had a good way of surprising me. “This bridge represents us. I’ll give you three minutes to decide whether you want to stay on the path you are now… The one without me; or choose the path with me.”

What a peculiar way of looking at things. But then, I became uneasy. Did he mean that if I didn’t move by then…? Would he be stay out of my life forever because I chose it?

“I started the time,” I broke from the state of panic thanks to his words. “I won’t force you to come here Naeun. You know my heart… It’s time that I know yours truly. So I can hold on or let go.”

Tears were filling my eyes. Why did I want to cry at such a time? Wiping my eyes I realised that I was wasting time by standing there. Son Naeun what did you want? Did you want a fresh start or did you want a timeless…?

No.

I knew what I wanted. I wanted a love I’d read about in Twilight. I wanted my own kind, strong man who saw me as his moon and he as my sun. I wanted someone who would be at the beginning and the end, just like Alpha and the Omega we wore around our necks.I wanted someone who would try to fix things if he messed up and would always listen…

That was when my heart decided. Lifting the edge of my skirt I inhaled and exhaled slowly, lifted my feet and started to run.

 He watched me, the closer I came the more I could see that large smile he had. It said, ‘I’m glad to see you,’ and ‘hello.’

As I appeared less than a metre in front of him there was beeping as the alarm went off. Getting his phone he turned his head to turn it off. I expected him to stay where he was but instead he closed the space, grabbed me by the waist and lifted me in the air. My face touched the warmth of the sun, the shade of the clouds and the welcoming deep amber rays the large sphere of light emitted.

After spinning me around in the air he lowered me down gently where we stood close. I saw the glimmer of silver around his neck. Even in this time of uncertainty he still wore our couple item.“Naeun,” his voice was inviting, making my insides melt. “I’ve fulfilled the bargain you made. Now…”

“Now,” I repeated after him and laughing when he became speechless in a good way for a moment.

He continued again, “now… Tell me why you wanted me here. It couldn’t just be because you missed me right?”

I did miss him. Looking at his face, shaded by the sun from behind I had never known a man’s expressions so familiarly before aside from my other dad’s. But it wasn’t just missing him either, I wanted him. I wanted him in my life as a secure key to the door of my heart. I wanted no other man to have access and I could see no other.

It was time for me to be brave. I wrapped my arms around his neck. I watched him exhale and I then pulled him down to my level. Slowly opening my mouth I pressed it against his lips. Seconds later his hands were on my back, deepening the kiss.

Pulling away I watched him take in what happened, his expression beaming and full of joy. “I wanted you to wait for my response because I wasn’t sure what I wanted.”

He nodded, his eyes swivelled to my lips. “And… What is it you want?”

I started to smile before I even answered. “To be with you like this with our stories that no one else will know; to be with Lee Taemin whom I love.”

For now on I would not be running from him. I would not be running away from the feelings we have, the choices we would make together and the commitments we’d promise each other.

Because Son Naeun is in love with Lee Taemin and I will choose to love him for now until forever.

 



 

Are we squealing? Are we delighted? I can’t wait to hear what you all have to say about this chapter it was such a delight to write.