10. Naeun

Giddy

(OST Time Machine- by SNSD)

The door opened and I smiled at my mother who opened her arms in a tight hug. “Naeun I’ve missed you.”

“I’ve missed you too mother.” I said as she let me in. My father came over and gave me a big hug.
“My little Naeun, we’ve missed you.”

I smiled at him afraid of how emotional I would get from having not seen him face to face. “Is Saeun here?” I asked.

They nodded. “She’s coming out of her room.”

 Another face entered the room. “Unnie,” she said beaming when she saw me. I was soon in her hug and we both held hands as we went to the dining room. Mum had generously cooked a large amount of meat for us and sea food which I enjoyed as well. The smell made my mouth water.

They seemed amazed at how much I was eating. “Slow down,” my father said after he’d finished a mouthful. “It isn’t like they do not feed you at your company.”

Saeun shook her head with a smile. “Father did you forget, she could fit about eight cherry tomatoes in .” She glanced at me from the other side. “I laughed when I watched that part. Do you remember it unnie?”

How could I forget? Remembering that show reminded me of how I had been happy and how I had once been so close to him.

“Hello Naeun? Are you alright?” Mother’s words broke through and I realised I must have had my mind somewhere else. Apologising I kept on eating, slowing down this time.

After dinner I helped with the dishes. Since I was not at home much, Saeun had her modelling and father was working mother would be alone for most of the time. It was a good chance for us to talk.

I picked up a plate from the rinsing sink and placed it in the dry rack where I would soon be drying it. “You’ve been more quiet than usual. Is there something wrong?”

“I am quieter?” I had no idea I had become closed in all of a sudden.

“Yes you normally can express yourself well but tonight, the mention of We Got Married seemed to make you sad. Am I right child?”
 

She wasn’t wrong. I breathed out and put away some cutlery in the drawer. “It was a long time ago. I don’t think I was ever fully over leaving.” I felt her pat me on the shoulder gently. It reminded me that she knew when to draw the line.

 
“Unnie come in here,” Saeun waved to me from her room. I came over and joined her on her bed. On her walls were posters from some of her advertisement shoots. It could appear a little vain to some but Saeun wasn’t the kind of girl to express her confidence in her looks out loud.

She flopped back so she was on her back. “Ah it’s nice to be talking with someone you know and love. I get so sick of those models sometimes, always self-conscious about their appearance or groaning about a diet.”

“You would since you’re around them more than me.” I didn’t have a lot of time to join shoots but my company made sure I participated in them at least once a month for more popularity.

Sitting up again she grabbed her phone. “One of the guys I worked with recently wants to know if you would be interested in getting together with him soon. I said I would give you his number so you could decide for yourself.” Handing the device to me I stared at his photo. The makeup did not detract from his looks. “He’s Catholic like us so he wouldn’t try to do something lewd or inappropriate in the eyes of God. Also he is really, really nice. Unnie I think you two might be good together.”

I didn’t have to decline verbally. She just noticed my expression and became disappointed. “Ah why unnie, you should date it’s been too long.”

She wouldn’t understand. Saeun had never faced the building of a bridge only to tear it down easily. Turning to her I told her my honest reason.
“Oppa… He’s wanted to talk to me recently.”

Realisation dawned on her and she let out a silent ‘oh’. Saeun was clever in that I could refer to him like an older brother and she knew what I meant. “Unnie, do you mean… He would like to be in your life again?”

“I guess it could be that. He wanted to talk with me backstage at that concert but I ignored him. And I’ll be filming the show with him again soon once my drama’s over.”

Saeun appeared to be listening, her occasional nods made it clear she wasn’t trying to be a nodding head doll. “So what are you going to do?”

Pausing I had to think about it more. “… I guess, see if it’s possible to be friends again.”

“So go to him.”

“Saeun what are you—“

“—aren’t I right?” She asked appearing to be confident in her answer. “He chased you once. By now he probably thinks you are not interested. If you want to show him you are happy to be on friendly terms once again then take some initiative and approach him first.”

Her answer had struck me in a vital point. It was true; Taemin probably wasn’t as patient as he had been back then. I hadn’t been sure about letting him back in but now I had begun to think that it wouldn’t hurt, just this once more. To be even more careful I would keep that particular door shut and padlocked.

In three more days I would be filming my second appearance on that show after my two week hiatus. The last episode was close to being completed, the director appearing less stressed since there had been some improvement in our once dismal ratings.

“So Bobae will order a coffee and wait for Sanghyun to appear.” The director then went over to the person who would be acting as the coffee shop worker, Jaehyo, a member of Block B until they had disbanded.

 He paid attention to his directions while glancing over at me. I think I knew why it made me a little uncomfortable. He had been an admirer of mine for a few years even after We Got Married.

 “Alright quiet on the set.” The director left and I was sent to the front door of the shop in order to give the impression that I had just entered. He stood there appearing calm and composed.

The director counted down and I stepped into character. Going over to the counter he turned to me, his face somewhat serious. “How may I help you?”

“Cut,” the director told us. “Jaehyo-sshi, you are serving coffee not working at a mortuary. Be a little more cheerful alright?”

He bowed to him. “I apologise I’ll try harder.”

In my mind I understood what the director was saying and didn’t feel he was being harsh on him. Jaehyo had acted a lot in the past so he couldn’t make the excuse of saying he had never acted before.

“Ok Bobae back in your spot.” I walked back to the door and waited for the cue again. We wanted to do this scene well since it would be the final one in the drama.

A few hours later the end scene had been completed. Bobae and Sanghyun had their proper and first date at a coffee shop. “See you at the after party,” the staff called to each other as well as thanking the other for their hard work.

“You’ve worked hard Naeun,” one of the writers and I rallied between us. I bumped into someone who had crossed my path. Lifting my head to the tall figure my heart did an uneasy twitch when I recognised their face.

“Naeun, can we talk?”

Jaehyo’s tone was serious.  Instantly I had a faint idea of what he wished to discuss with me. I stood still, watching him try and lean closer to imitate intimacy which I did not felt at all when I was with him.

“W-what would you like to talk about?”

“Come and have a coffee with me.” He stated. The way his confidence carried his statement caused nervousness with me. “I’ll be heading to the army soon, so why not just this once?”

“I can’t… I’m sorry.”

Like he had done before his expression had changed to show that while he was hurt at the rejection he would rather not make it obvious to those watching. Nodding he breathed out through his nostrils.

“Alright,” he accepted defeat like that? “I thought that maybe… Maybe with you ending We Got Married that maybe I had a chance again. What are the chances that one month after your conclusion rumours would trickle among our kind about you being taken? I think the fact that you lasted a year and two months with him is astounding. You really are one amazing girl.”

Before he disappeared he took my phone from my hands. With rapid tapping on the screen and beeps in different tones he entered in a mobile number. “If you change your mind… Then you’ll know where to reach me.” He saved it without my input and walked off.

I knew I didn’t have time to delete it so I decided to do so when I was alone. Going to my wallet my fingers slowly lifted out a Polaroid. The edges were slightly rough and the light had faded on it due to age. But if one peered closely they would see a guy wearing a hat, holding up a peace sign with his large lips in what appeared to be kissing the camera.

It had been so long. His number would have probably changed by now.

Since there was no Taemin appearing here this chapter is a little bland. But I wanted you guys to feel hopeful about how Naeun feels so I included this part at the end for good reason. Don’t worry he’ll be back on the scene with her come the next chapter.