03. Taemin

Giddy

(OST- Amigo by SHINee)

“So Taemin have you thought about appearing on that show?” I glanced at Jongin. The three of us me, Jongin and Kwonho were by Han River in our secret place all sipping beers. Fortunately no saesangs or normal fans had discovered it yet.

Putting my can down, I just shrugged at him. “I am pretty busy as it is. I wouldn’t mind having a rest after I’ve finished promoting.”

Kwonho gave me a sly smile and letting a noise escape his mouth after drinking. “That isn’t like you. Don’t you mind being busy?”

“Of course not, it means I get more money.” I agreed. “But I have to really have my heart into something to keep at it. Who knows how long the show will go for?”

“You probably won’t film that much since they’ll be four coaches and all of them with a set number of dances.”

I nodded. Truthfully I’d told the guys about the offer since I’d received it three days ago. They were going to do a talent survival show in a similar format to The Voice but for dancers. Instead of solo performances there would be groups of dancers all performing together until a team gets eliminated. It was going to get a lot of hype from the sounds of it.

I glanced at Jongin and Kwonho who had gotten quiet. “Be honest, do you think I should do it?”

“Yes,” they said together making me laugh. “Are you going to stop being annoying hyung?” Kwonho retorted.

“Ok so I’ll do it then.”

Something seemed to cross Jongin’s mind as he suddenly pointed. “Ah do you know who the other coaches are?” I shook my head. “Well I think I know who may be the female coach. I overheard someone, they’re going to get Apink’s Bomi.”

“Whoa really is that really true?”

My mind was in another place. Bomi, she wasn’t the main dancer. But that means…

“So how come they didn’t get Naeun?” Kwonho suddenly saw my face. I looked at him, wondering why a cat got his tongue.  Jongin cleared his throat and intervened on his behalf.

“It does seem a little strange.” He quickly added. “But I’m sure she’ll do well right hyung?”

I nodded but it was too late. My mind had drifted somewhere else. To somewhere that I hadn’t dared let myself travel to in a long, long time.


Five years ago
 

“Ah we’re here.” I said to myself as the car pulled up outside the airport. Getting out the response I got was hot from people who recognised me. They had to get guards to keep people at bay as I entered the terminal to get my ticket for Jeju Island.

“Taemin-sshi, can you go up the escalators for us please?” The Producer asked me. Nodding I rode up, the camera crew filming shots of me going up and getting to the top.

“Attention passengers, gate four to Jeju Island is now open and boarding.” The sound speakers uttered in the air. The Producer pointed me to the right direction. The crew came after me with their boarding passes onto the flight.

Sitting on the plane they relaxed a little giving me a chance to think over what would happen. I kept my drawing close to me, sitting near the window seat.
“So you aren’t going to tell me who it is?” I asked eagerly.

“No you will find out when you arrive there.”  That was a slight let down. I wanted to know if I really would be with someone older like Lee Nayoung or a comedian. Sitting in my seat I ended up feeling sleepy. The crew were preventing people from coming over to ask for signs which I was relieved for.

Clasping my hands together I said a prayer. A prayer for whomever I would be partnered with on the show. It would be the first relationship I had, faked or not. Not dating in Primary school but a possible first love.

We landed in Jeju where they showed me a car that had been hired for me to use while we were there. My hands felt sweaty as I put my seatbelt on. Soon I would be meeting her, my ‘wife’ on the television screen.

Driving there I bit my lip, hundreds of thoughts flooding over me. Would she like me? Would I like her? Is she going to be older, same age or younger? What if she’s younger than me? What if I’m the oppa in our marriage? Would I be able to do well? Did I look alright? Should I ditch the hat?

The navigator showed me to a house that looked rather familiar before. Getting out I stared at it. The closer I got the more I realised it definitely was the place in Architecture 101. Going to the front door I stepped inside, suddenly becoming more anxious and nervous.

Pausing I sat in the same place as the picture had been taken, admiring what I saw from my back. Jeju Island really is beautiful.

They directed me to enter up the stairs. That must be how you got to the top. I went up the stairs, each step making my pulse speed up. I wonder if she could hear my heartbeat; it must be really loud.

And then I was there. I was at the top, the focal point of the building, the place of interest from the films. Here I was on the upper garden, where there was a view of the beach, sand that was in the skies instead of the grass which was a slight downfall.

And there she was. Sitting on a chair, her back to me, hair long and blowing in the wind. She looked picture perfect in her dress and cardigan, a picture of warmth. This was the spring that would be the beginning of our marriage on the televisions screen and the beginning of something special perhaps.

I walked up to her, my feet taking me faster than I imagined. Stopping by her chair I decided that I had to see her. I had to see who it was that I’d been brought together with. Bending down I looked at her from the side. Unfortunately she had turned her head.

“Oh that scared me.” In reaction her hand went over bowing down towards the table.

I couldn’t believe it. Like her I was in shock but it was pleasant shock. How did I end up with someone so pretty? The smile wasn’t going to leave my face. Standing at a distance with my hands behind my back she rose to greet me, both of us bowing shyly. Even with a hand over her smile she was still the prettiest sight to see.

“Are you… My marriage partner?” Why was I stuttering? I needed to really relax. She replied sounding just as shy as I did.

“Yes, I-I am.”

I couldn’t help but respond with, “cute so cute,” as she bowed to me again. It was true and I was the kind of person who said it how they saw it. And then it became awkward, neither of us knew what to say. At least the crew was there to help. We needed it to get things rolling...

     Present

Before the show would start filming we had to come together for a meeting with the other coaches and staff.  The show was going to be hosted by SBS where live shows would air after Running Man.

As I went inside the building someone quickly brushed past me. “Oh pardon me…” She stopped. I blinked. Wearing a scarf, jeans and a loose shirt I almost didn’t recognise her with her shorter dark hair.

“Bomi, how have you been?”

“Ah Taemin hello,” she quickly responded after we had forgotten our manners. “So you’re one of the judges for the show?”


“Yes so I guess you’re the other one then?”

She nodded. “There is us and two more. I’m not sure who but we’ll find out soon.” That was true.  Going inside we met Nam Hyunjoon one of the best pop and lockers in the country and YG’s head choreographer Lee Jaewook.  The drinks were poured and the meat placed on the plates before the discussion could begin.

“Alright so the idea of this show is by elimination.” He began.  “You will select one hundred dancers from the auditions so twenty five in each group. It will work similar to the Voice but instead of pressing a button and turning your chair around they will dance and if you want them on your team then you are to get out of your chair and dance on stage with them. If anyone is not picked then they will be out and if more than one judge enters the stage then the dancer can choose who they want to be with.”

“So how will the group dances work?” Jaewook asked, “since there will be too many dancers in each group to fit the stage? Is there going to be eliminations?”

The Producer nodded. “Yes, there will be dance offs between the twenty five where they will dance for a minute to claim their spot in the groups for the final six. So nineteen people from your group will not pass that stage and you will have two groups of six for the first week. Once you have the twelve the eliminations will commence based on the votes of the public. The group that came last will have a last chance dance off between the members and their coach has to decide who to eliminate.”

It was already sounding like a lot of pressure for us. I didn’t know how I would feel about telling someone that they would not be making it to the next round. Glancing at Bomi she seemed to have the same thoughts as me.

“What’s the grand prize?” She asked at the end.

“They will get to be recruited by one of the top three agencies as a dancer for their company and a prize of twenty five hundred thousand won.” All of us judges let out murmurs of surprise and awe.

He continued with the rules. “The only exception is said that the winner dancer can’t join the same company as his judge. So say Taemin’s last dancer is the winner then he can’t join SM because it is not fair. However if the companies like anyone else that gets eliminated then they can sign them to their agency after the competition has finished.”

“Seems reasonable,” Hyunjoon sunbae agreed. I was feeling better about the show now I knew that the other dancers wouldn’t miss out on the chance to follow their dreams.

“Do you have a name for the show?” One of the other staff asked.

“You can’t stop the Beat.”

“Isn’t that under copyright?”

“We’re in the process of getting permission.” This satisfied them. Three of the staff members who had brought coffee for us all passed around our orders. The producer had a sip of his drink before adding some more news. “We also have confirmed who will be the MC’s for the first live show. One of them will be the main MC and will have a guest with him until a female MC has been picked.”

“Who is it?”

He cleared his throat. “The first show will be hosted by Shin Dongup and Son Naeun.” I suddenly put my drink down, coughing. Bomi reached over and thumped me on the back. What had caused my sudden reaction?

“Are you alright Taemin-sshi?” Jaewook asked me. I nodded before apologising to everyone.

“Sorry I don’t know what came over me.” Of course you do Taemin! You cannot believe it. What are the chances that your paths would cross again like this?

I didn’t edit so if you find any mistakes… Then yes I am sorry and will get onto editing it when I can.