Onew

PRINCEss [On Hiatus]

 

Onew’s POV:

                I was walking the school hallways when a memory from my childhood suddenly invaded my thoughts.

*Flashback*

                It was the weekends and my whole family decided to eat out in a small restaurant. I was only 9 years old back then and was sitting awkwardly beside my mom while the rest of my family were busy deciding what they wanted to eat. I felt out of place there and the not so quiet murmurs of the other customers were only making me feel more out of place beside my own family.

                “Amazing!” the girl and her friend sitting right across from us whispered to her friend.

                “Who are they?” a guy on our left asked as he stared at us.

                “Beautiful!” a kid around my age exclaimed as he and his mother passed by us.

                “Are they filming?” a random guy asked looking around to look for a filming crew and found none.

                I bowed my head as I heard what the people around us were saying and tried to not listen to them anymore but failed.

                “What is it, Jin-ah?” my mom asked when she noticed I was acting a bit weird.

                “N-Nothing. I’m fine.” I lied and gave her a fake smile just to reassure her.

                “Then, Jin-ah, hurry up and decide what you want from the menu. I’m hungry.” My older sister said as she handed me a menu.

                “Uh…Sorry, I’ll order now!” I said as I took the menu and started going through the list of food. I took a sidelong glance at the people who are still blatantly staring at us.

                “Jin-ah!” my older brother suddenly called snapping my attention back to the menu.

                “Look, look…” some guy said when he heard my brother calling my attention.

                “Sorry, I’ll order now…” I said going back to deciding what I want to eat.

                “Really…just him; what a pity…” some ahjumas murmured not bothering to keep their voices down.

                Having enough of what other people were saying, I tossed the menu back at the table as I stood up and started running out of the restaurant.

                                “Hey, Jinki! Jinki, where are you going? Jinki!” my dad called out to me and started to come after me but I ignored his calls and kept running away from there.

*End of flashback*

                “Onew-nim!” another student called out to me snapping me out of my revelry.

                “Annyeong hashimnika, Onew-nim!” his friend greeted me formally like all other students do when they see me.

                “K-Kamsahamnida. Annyeong hashimnika.” I said in return as I stop my tracks.

                “Are you doing some work for the Student Council, Onew-nim?” they queried.

                “I am. Everyone is also working hard at their club activities, right?” I asked flashing them my fake smile.

                “No! Compared with what you do, Onew-nim, it’s nothing.” They exclaimed while I just laughed awkwardly to try and make them feel at ease with me.

                “Please keep up the good work, Onew-nim!” they said as they go to their club.

                “K-Kamsahamnida!” I call out to their retreating backs with my fake smile that I dropped the moment they disappeared from sight and turned my face to the window looking at the school grounds pensively.