Chapter 16- Sad Maknae

Change of Heart

Chapter 16-
Sad Maknae

Days passed. Sungyeol and Minchae got closer, they aced their essay project, and the maknae seemed to be unexpectedly gloomier. Not everyone noticed, but those who did grew worried for him. 

It was now lunch on a Thursday afternoon and Infinite and Minchae were having their usual lunch at their table. Everyone was smiling and chatting except for Sungjong who was just stuffing his face with bland cafeteria food. Minchae stopped chatting with Dongwoo and saw the maknae in his lonely corner. Her smile faded a bit and she stopped her chat with the dino. "I'll be back." She slid herself in front of the maknae at the corner of the table.

"Hey." She softly smiled at him. "What's wrong? You've been gloomy lately."

The latter didn't even look up from his meal, he just shrugged it off. "It's nothing really."

"Really? It looks like it's something to me. You want to tell me about it?" 

Slowly, he looked up and shook his head. "You wouldn't understand." 

"I'm not going to force you to tell me, but if you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here for you alright?" 

Sungjong gave her a small smile, but you can see a little hint of sadness in his eyes. "Thanks noona." She gave him a warming smile, patted his head and went back to talking to the dino. 

*I hope the maknae's alright...* She gave him small glances from time to time as she chatted.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Dongwoo said as he stopped laughing from his previous joke.

"Oh, just worried about poor Jongie over there. He's been depressed lately."The other 5 heard what Minchae said and turned their attention to her. 

"Yeah, I've been noticing that too. Wonder what's wrong..." Sungyeol said worriedly. Everyone nodded their heads respectively.

"I asked him, but he said it was nothing much. He won't tell me." Minchae pouted.

*Maybe he needs a little hyung to dongsaeng talk.* Woohyun thought. He slipped away and went over to the maknae.

"Hey Jonggie."

Sungjong was now reading and he looked up. "Oh, hey hyung." He said a little too solemnly. "Need anything?"

"Yeah, what's wrong Jongie? Something bothering you?"

Sungjong just looked away as he was thinking in his mind. *Should I tell hyung? Hmm, maybe I shouldn't. Agh, but is it better to-*

Woohyun saw the glint of sadness cross the maknae's eyes in the very little time before he turned his head. His eyes widened a bit. *That look...* Him being the experienced flirting 'casanova', he immediately knew what was wrong.

"It's about a girl, huh?" He interrupted Sungjong from his thoughts. 

Sungjong's eyes widened. "W-What? No, hyung it's not! Why would you think that?" His voice sounded cracked.

*Aigoo, the poor maknae is experiencing his first love.* "It's about Minchae isn't it?" He softly said as he sat down next to the maknae and put an arm around his shoulder.

"What? No!" 

Woohyun gave him a look that said 'Really now?' and the maknae gave in. He looked down and mumbled,"Yeah, it is..." 

"Is it because you're jealous that she is getting closer with Yeol?" He asked carefully with warm eyes. The other just nodded sadly.

"Aigooo, Jongie is experiencing love problems! He's really growing up!" He pinched the little one's cheeks.

"Hyung! Stop it!" He slapped his hands away. Sungjong sighed. "I don't know what to do hyung. I like noona so much, but I know that she's meant for Yeollie hyung..." Woohyun sighed.

"That's what everyone thinks. It may looks like that, but who knows maybe they aren't meant for eachother. We won't know for sure." He smiled at the maknae. "I'm not saying that you're meant for her, but what I'm trying to say is, it doesn't hurt to try and confess to her. I mean who knows, maybe she reciprocates the feelings."

Sungjong smiled a bit and hugged Woohyun. "Thanks, hyung. Your advice helped me alot."

Woohyun laughed, "Don't get your hopes up now. Good luck maknae."

"Oh, hyung. Can we keep this a secret? Just us?" The latter nodded and gestured zipping his lips sealed. 

Sungjong smiled to himself. *Like Hyung said, it won't hurt to try at least. Right?*