Six

Blanket
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongguk yawned and took out his keys. Tonight had been a long one. And it wasn't over yet. He still had to cook for Himchan. At least it was only ramen this time. Unlocking the door, he trudged in with half open eyes, not registering anything. After closing the door and taking off his shoes he turned down the hallway.

“Holy !” he exclaimed in shock and jumped back a step into the door. There in the dim hallway, stood his roommate. “You gave me a shock!” Yongguk told the guy, while removing the hand from his heart. Himchan said nothing. He just stared at him, with an expression that couldn't be read in the dark hallway. Silence fell over them, making Yongguk nervous for some reason.

“I took everything out you need for dinner,” Himchan finally said in a dead voice and turned around. Yongguk shook out of the uncomfortable silence that had existed between them and followed the other to the kitchen. Indeed everything he needed to make ramen was out on the counter. His roommate sat down on one of the chairs at the table and looked at him. His eyes were dead and his face wore an odd expression in the light.

“Are you alright?” Yongguk asked, worried about the the expression.

“I'm hungry,” Himchan answered simply, voice still empty and dead. Yongguk looked closer to see if he could find a hint of what was going on, but nothing. Finally he nodded and turned around to start cooking dinner, with an uncomfortable feeling that he was being stared down by his roommate.

When the ramen was in the boiling water and all the ingredients were added, he turned around to see the odd expression was unchanged.

“Are you sure you're alright?” Yongguk asked. That expression was worrying. Silence fell over them again, as Himchan just stared in reply.

“What were you thinking?” Himchan finally questioned breaking the silence. Something flickered across his eyes.

“What was I thinking when?” Yongguk replied confused, while keeping a close eye on his roommate's face in case something showed again.

“What were you thinking, when you opened a window in a room full of paper?” Himchan asked, every word drowning in acid. His eyes were no longer dead but burning up. Yongguk felt goosebumps run down his back. He could see his death in those eyes.

“I was thinking you needed some fresh air,” he answered in a voice that came out a little too small to his liking. Not a word was said. His roommate just stared him down, silently asking what was the logic in that. Yongguk questioned the logic in what he had done too. Pulling himself together, he looked into the burning eyes of his roommate.

“I'm sorry,” he finally apologized, breaking the silence. “All I thought about was you needing fresh air and since you don't want to go outside, this was the solution I reached,” he explained. The hellfire in Himchan's eyes seemed to diminish a little bit. “I only wanted to do what was best for you, trust me on that.” The last statement made something undefinable take over the other's features.

“People can't be trusted,” Himchan muttered under his breath, Yongguk's ears just catching what was said. The tone confused him. It sounded so broken and exhausted. The sound of it broke his heart. He wanted to say something. Something that would cheer the other up or comfort him. But saying that he could him didn't seem like it was the right thing to do in this situation.

“You can trust me to do what I think is right,” he said after a while, looking directly at Himchan, trying to find his eyes. A heavy silence lay upon them.

“I'm going to bed,” Himchan announced and with heavy steps moved past him.

“Himchan,” Yongguk called the name with worry laced through every letter in the name. The other didn't answer but just kept walking towards his bedroom. Cursing himself, he t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter