Nineteen

Blanket
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Yongguk stepped through the door to the apartment, the first thing that hit him was a wonderful smell. The really wonderful smell that left his mouth watering and his stomach growling. He hadn't even been that hungry when he walked home. Now was a completely different matter.

The second thing he noticed, was the music emitting from the kitchen. It wasn't loud by any means, as the hour was late (or early). but the beat could be heard clearly from the entrance. Along with it came a deep slightly hoarse voice.

Leaving his shoes in the hallway, he made his way to the kitchen to see Himchan dance around the kitchen, stirring in a couple of pots and setting the table. He was singing along with the lyrics to the music, looking like he was enjoying himself. It was as if Yongguk was blessed to see something of the person Himchan was deep down.

There was no trace of a frown on his lips, instead a smile played on them. The tiredness still hung over his shoulders, but it didn't look as heavy as it usually did. A long high note played from the speakers in the corner and Himchan took it an octave lower. With a slight crack towards the end.

Yongguk couldn't help the grin on his face and chuckle that escaped from his lips. Himchan froze and spun on the spot, spatula raised high, ready to hit someone.

“Oh, it's just you,” the other breathed in relief.

“Just me?” Yongguk asked, feigning hurt.

“Yes, just you,” Himchan glared at him, underlining the point. A smile broke past his glare after a second though. “Sit, dinner will be served in a few seconds,” the other demanded and Yongguk did as told.

As said, a few seconds later, Himchan piled food from the pots on his plate. It looked and smelled delicious. When his friend sat down across from him, he dug in.

He could have moaned. It was an explosion of beautiful flavors.

“This is good,” he told his friend around a mouthful of food.

“Don't speak with your mouth full,” Himchan reprimanded him, around his own mouthful of food.

Yongguk swallowed the chewed food in his mouth. “You're one talk,” he snickered.

“I made dinner, I make the rules,” the other simply replied with a smile before sticking more food in his mouth.

“How is that fair?”

“It isn't. That's how life works.”

“I will talk with my mouth full if I want,” Yongguk stubbornly said with his mouth full.

“Oh yeah? Watch me never cook for you again,” Himchan grinned.

“Anything but that!” he protested in horror. That made the other laugh. Loudly and happily. It was a wonder to watch.

“How was your shift at the club bar thingy?” his friend asked when his laughter had calmed down.

“It was good. Nothing out of the ordinary happened,” he answered.

“Did you perform today?”

“Yeah, only few songs though. I was warm up for some bigger rappers,” Yongguk told him, trying to keep the pride out of his voice. Successful rappers had chosen him to warm up for them.

“That's pretty cool,” Himchan smiled.

“Yeah,” he nodded.

“Is it anyone I know?”

“I don't know if you remember them.”

“Play me something of theirs and we'll see,” his friend requested. With a smile, he shoveled a mouthful of food into his mouth and went over to the speakers to plug in his phone.


 

Yongguk told him animatedly about the rappers he had warmed up for. He had met them a couple of times, but never talked to them that much. But this time they had told him they liked his music. Which of course left him ecstatic and smiling as they ate. It was rather nice to see.

A thought had occurred in Himchan's head. What if he was a burden to Yongguk? What if he was a burden to his friend and that friend got tired of it one day? But his logical side told him that if Yongguk had time to do what

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter