Sungjae

Upside Down/거꾸로

The next morning, before Sungjae was about to leave to work, Sungwon stopped him.

"What?"

"Sungjae, I want to speak to you."

He sat Sungjae down on the dining room table.

"I know that you are very stressed, but it is important that you are happy and healthy with what you are doing - "

"I am happy with what I'm doing. I choose my choice."

"Now, can you tell me what happened last night?"

"Another person killed himself in the elevator. And I literally piled right after that."

"Oh dear....." said Sungwon. He put his hand on Sungjae's forehead. "Are you ok? Are you running a fever."

"No!" said Sungjae, annoyed.

"Sungjae, please. I know that it's hard. But I love you and I believe in you and I support what you do. Besides, today is your first fashion show. You always wanted to walk on that runway, didn't you?"

Sungjae sighed.

"Yes, I did. This is my only chance."

"And so you shall. Just take it easy and don't stress on yourself."

"But I was not stressed! Why don't you believe me?"

"I'm sure it was stress. I couldn't imagine a ghost being there, I've know that you are stressed sometimes because you used to groan about high school grades and such. But I'm telling you, just do your best and don't play it too hard on yourself."

"Whatever." Sungjae said as he immediately headed for the door. He turned to see Sungwon who was smiling at him and pumping his fist.

"Good luck, Sungjae." his brother said with a smile. "Hwaiting."

"Thanks."

 

Sungjae went to the studio that night at Gwanghwamun Square, which was inside a large caravan, where the models would be changed into different clothes for the show. They would then be escorted through a curtained corridor all the way until they reach the entrance of the runway.

It was an hour before the runway show would start.

Sungjae sighed as his stylist Ilhoon came over and started preparing his makeup, adding some powder and cream on his face to make his skin look blemish free.

"Are you nervous?" asked Jihoon.

Sungjae nodded.

"Don't worry," said Jihoon, "When you step out on the runway, it's a wonderful experience. Once you have the crowd cheering for you, you will feel empowered a lot and ready to finish the task."

 

Half an hour passed. The models were busy getting changed into their first outfits; for the summer collection.

Sungjae quickly changed into the prescribed set of clothing; a Hawaiian-shirt-like top with skinny jeans, a fedora hat, a pair of sunglasses and white sneakers.

"You look fantastic." said Jihoon as he started getting changed into his first outfit for the show.

 

Before he knew it, it was time to start the show.

The MC came out on the runway, introducing the show whilst the audience surrounding the runway in Gwanghwamun square cheered on.

"Are you ready for this?" the MC cheered.

"YES!" the audience responded.

"ARE YOU READY TO GET THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD?"

"YES!"

"WELL THE SHOW STARTS NOW!"

A blast of music played from the radios, as the models, one by one began to step out onto the runway.

Sungjae sighed in anticipation and waited, Jihoon being in front of him in line.

Before he knew it, Jihoon was escorted out onto the runway. He whispered behind his back to Sungjae, "Good luck."

Sungjae sighed and waited, trembling with nervousness. It was his first runway show but he really had to give it a shot.

 

Before he knew it, he was escorted to the entrance of the runway.

Sungjae walked out from behind the curtains, just in time to see Jihoon walking back from the runway into the backstage again. He winked at Sungjae as he back to walk.

The crowd cheered on as Sungjae walked down the runway, and photograph flashes started as Sungjae became the source of attention, the lights catching him in the full moonlight.

Sungjae turned to the front of the runway and posed, whilst photographers snapped camera shots of him.

He smiled at the audience as he turned back to the runway, but he was being escorted back to the backstage as fast as possible.

"Quick!" whispered Heejun, "Change your clothes! The next set of clothes is coming up!"

Next would be the Gothic Hip Hop look. Sungjae changed into a set of white T-shirt trimmed with black patterns, a pair of baggy white pants with black belt having a star buckle, long black and white striped socks, white high tops, bracelets, as well as a black jeweled rosary, whilst Ilhoon rushed him to the chair to redo his makeup.

He put on Sungjae's eyelids some eyeliner to exaggerate the cateye look, whilst he put some gel in his hair to make it stand up on end.

The process was long, and before Sungjae knew it, it was time for him to go back on the runway again.

 

He reappeared on the runway once again, the audience cheering for him as he stepped out.

Sungjae grinned as he continued to walk on the runway, showing the clothes as the photographer continued again.

 

Next up was the 90s look, consisting of a multi-coloured jacket with white top with red and grey geometric testellation pattern on it, a pair of blue jeans and black earrings and shoes, whilst a grey and white shirt with denim jacket with badges and pants came after that, as well as a patterned jacket and matching pants.

The outfits went on and on for the night, as he kept changing and the crowd continued to watch.

 

However, after a tiring moment of changing and reapplying makeup, it was eventually time for all the models to reappear on the runway in single file.

Sungjae joined the other men in line as they reappeared on the runway, clapping as they bowed to the audience, and headed backstage.

 

Once everyone was done, Heejun appeared once again, applauding for them all.

"That was amazing, well done! I could not be happier than I am right now. I'm proud of you all. Especially Sungjae, who has been the most improved of the bunch, and made the show! Give another round of applause for Yook Sungjae!"

Sungjae stared in amazement, as he started to tear up from happiness.

"Good job Sungjae," said Jihoon, patting his back.

"Thank you so much." replied Sungjae.

"For some of you this has been your first runway show, yet you have done an amazing job for it. Keep in mind that we may get more offers, so keep practising and maintaining your fitness! And in that case, I'll see you all tomorrow morning."

"Bye." the models said as they began to change into their normal clothes.

"Well done Sungjae," said Jihoon, "You looked awesome on the runway."

"So did you," said Sungjae.

 

Sungjae pranced back home, feeling happier than ever.

Sungwon opened the door.

"How was it?"

"It was wonderful. You should have been there."

"See, I told you if you relaxed then you would have fun like you did just now."

"Thanks hyung," said Sungjae hugging his brother, "I knew I would feel empowered."

Sungwon chuckled.