Sungjae

Upside Down/거꾸로

Sungjae glanced at his portfolio in happiness and grinned in excitement. He was going to a model casting this morning, and was really excited. Since he was little he loved to pose in front of the camera, as well as dress up in many different outfits. But today he was doing all those things with a serious approach, as he was choosing to work as a fashion model.

He thought that modelling would be a great way to relieve his stress. Having just graduated high school, modelling to him was like art, and art to him was like having a sense of freedom.

As soon as he graduated high school, he moved with his brother Sungwon into a tiny hanok. It was not very comfortable, yet Sungjae wanted to experience his fortune in the big wide world for so long, that they decided to move into the hanok from the big apartment, once his older brother got a part time job as an E-mart clerk, and was still consistently getting scholarships due to his maintenance of his high grades at university.

Sungjae stared at his photographs: his full body shot, his chest up shot, his face shot, his side shots, his back shot, as well as a shot of him in sports gear.

I hope these photographs are presentable, he thought.

He looked in the mirror, hoping that his outfit was suitable for the job interview. He looked at his reflection in the mirror. He chose to wear black pants, black plain T-shirt, black shoes, black jacket, as well as spiked bracelets and necklace to show his unique sense of style.

He grabbed his portfolio and tucked it under his arm as he embraced his brother.

"Good luck, Sungjae," said Sungwon, hugging him, "I have faith in you."

"I'll do my best." said Sungjae.


Sungjae left for the subway station, and took the train that would take him to the studio Mega Model Management.

He sat in the train, his heart thumping from apprehension as well as excitement to be able to get this job. To get this job for him was a dream, a dream that was hard for everyone else to accomplish.

Eventually he reached Apgujeong station and got off the train, quickly heading up the flight of stairs.


He continued walking until he finally reached the office building of Mega Model Management.

He nervously stepped in the clean, palace-like building as he took the elevator, clutching his portfolio tightly.

He stepped into the elevator and went up until he eventually reached the 5th floor, where he walked to the casting office.

He knocked on the door.

"Come in." said a voice from the inside.

Sungjae opened the door and walked in.

Sitting at the desk was a man in his 40s; he had dyed hair, yet he did not seem that excited nor pleased to see Sungjae.

Sungjae took in a deep breath.

"Hello," he said as he bowed, "My name is Yook Sungjae. I am 19 years old and I am from Seoul, South Korea. Here is my portfolio, I would love to work here."

Sungjae walked over and gave the man his portfolio, which he looked through.

He continued until he stopped and looked up at Sungjae gravely.

"Please take a seat." he said, gesturing towards the chair.

Sungjae tooked the offer generously and sat down. As he read the name board on the desk, it was revealed that the boss' name was Moon Heejun.

"Alright, I have some questions to ask you if you don't mind." said Heejun.

"Not at all." said Sungjae.

"First of all, tell me why do you want this job?"

"I want this job because I believe that I am not only photogenic, but I am also comfortable posing in front of the camera. I am very easy to work with, I am fun, friendly and out-going, and I will do whatever anyone here tells me to do. I have the determination to work very hard and I will do absolutely anything it takes for me to remain in this job. I also have a love of fashion, and other than that I can describe myself as confident and a person ready to take risks."

"You mentioned that you have a love of fashion, can you tell me who is your favourite fashion designer?"

"My favourite fashion designers are the Brookes Brothers and Tom Ford."

"You also mentioned in your application that you have had previous experience in dancing and singing, can you please tell me how they would support you in this job?"

"Well I think that because singing and dancing involves creativity and body movement I can translate the creativity and body movement I use in those into modelling, which encompasses a variety of those elements too. I believe I am capable of that, because I can use my creativity with what is around me in front of the camera and I believe I am able to do this."

"What do you think distinguishes you from the other candidates applying for this job?"

"Ummm, I think my face? I think my face has unique features and I love them a lot. I think that my personality distinguishes me too because I am fun and easy to work with, and I will take in all the advice I get and absorb it in the benefit of me to become a better model."

"This company at occasions tells our employees to pose topless, semi- or fully . If you had to do those things, would you do it?"

"Yes, especially if it would offer me a lot of money."

"Okay, how tall are you? And how much do you weigh?"

"I am 180cm and 68kg."

"Can you stand up for me please?"

Sungjae stood up.

"Can you please remove the accessories and the jacket? They look a big mess."

Sungjae did as he was told.

"That's much better. I see a model slowly forming. Right now your attire is simple, yet very clean, and less is more, as they say. Can you please do a walk for me?"

Sungjae did a walk for him and back.

"Now for this round, I would like you to model these clothes for me."

Heejun went to a closet and brought out a suit for him.

"Can you model this suit for me? Please get changed and come back here."

Sungjae went outside and got changed, just before he came back into the casting room, wearing the suit.

"Now, do a walk for me."

Sungjae walked in front of Heejun.

"Thank you, you may change into your normal clothes."

Sungjae walked out and eventually came back in, in his usual clothes.

"Please take a seat." said Heejun gesturing him to the chair.

Sungjae sat down once again.

"Considering your overall performance during this interview, I admire your confidence and enthusiasm that you put in this interview, and your eagerness to grow. Look at your body shape I do however think that you are a bit overweight, and looking at your walk you look a little weird. However, considering your unique facial features, as well as the enthusiasm and willingness and effort you put into this interview....."

Sungjae stared in apprehension.

"If you take some time and consideration to slimming down or building on some muscle, whilst you work here, I believe I can hire you. Can you do that?"

"Yes sir."

"And for that, you are hired."

Sungjae gasped in relief.

"Thank you so much!" said Sungjae, nearly tearing up.

"But promise me that you will continue to remain healthy, and I strongly advise you to exercise around 3 to 5 days a week, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, and very few junk food."

"I will sir."

"Great. I'll see you tomorrow morning."

"Thank you."

Sungjae bowed as he shook Heejun's hand again.


Sungjae came back home.

"So what happened, did you make it?"

Sungjae just frowned at his brother.

"You didn't make it?"

Sungjae sighed.

"Well, you see...........I MADE IT!"

Sungwon jumped for joy as he embraced Sungjae.

"Dude, you're a really good actor." said his brother.

"Awwww shucks." said Sungjae. "I was just trying to lighten up your mood."

"So when do you start working?"

"Tomorrow morning at 9 AM."

"When you do work?"

"Everyday from 9 AM to 5 PM, like most 9 to 5 jobs."

"Good, good. Sleep well tonight, you'll need your rest if you want to have some fun at work."