A Lead

Day X Night

 

“Hey...what are you reading?”

Key looked up to find the familiar smile greeting him. He let Nicole sit next to him on the open grass, while going back into the book. The campus park felt lively as usual, many grabbed the spots to just sit down and chat with their friends, the other thought the place was perfect to study and so books and papers were scattered around them.

“Hey...Tae Kwon Do for Beginners ? What’s gotten into you?” Nicole surprised herself after she read the title of the book Key’s been holding.

“Nothing, just got interested in martial arts, that’s all.” Key replied fast. Actually, he found it stupid, for him to learn Tae Kwon Do through books. Why is he even learning it? Even if he’s in a black belt or gold belt, or whatever, there’s nothing he can do now. Except waiting for a phone call, if they really gave her a communication access as they promised.

Nicole closed the book for him, taking away his attention playfully, “Don’t you have a line to work on for the Street Fashion Mob?

He sighed heavily, “I don’t know... There’s been so many things going on lately. Maybe I won’t participate. Haven’t prepared anything at all.” as his thought wander to the unfinished dress he left at the clubhouse.

Nicole raised an eyebrow, “It seems like you’re having an artblock. You need more fresh air! Find inspirations, silly little things, you know. Get loosen up.”

He sighed, “YES, I know. But it’s just-“

“How about Dongdaemun? After class?” Nicole quickly swiped in. Key was too weak to say no, so he grabbed his book back and said, “Kay, I’ll pick you up on the dance studio.”

Nicole pinched his cheek hard, “That’s more like it. Cheer up, ok?”

“I’ll try my best.” he said, losing to this girl in the end.

 

***

Jung Yunho is waiting in the helicopter impatiently. The pilot crew is ready and the engine’s warming up, but they are all still waiting for Max. The co-pilot is murmuring in French, pointing at his watch and glared every 5 seconds to him. Yunho sighed and decided to pick Max up himself.

“Give us 10 more minutes.” said Yunho before leaving the chopper, and he could hear more murmures and grunts from the co-pilot.

He dashed off back into the building, when suddenly the door creaked and Max squeezed himself out of the door before he even got there. Yunho held the door for him, “What took you so long?”

Max grinned a little and knocked his left foot to the floor. “Oiling a clicking knee every morning is not a usual daily morning routine..” Yunho gazed for a few seconds onto the steel leg under that fine pants and couldn’t help but feeling bad for him. They had to amputate his leg because of the broken knee, and now Max is a quarter a cyborg.

Yunho helped him walk to the chopper as fast as he could, trying to ignore the clanking sound Max’s foot made everytime it hit the floor. It’s only been a few days, but Yunho likes to think that it’s been years, and that he’s already used to it. But he knows it’s harder for Max after all.

They climbed into the chopper, and as soon as the door’s closed, Yunho hinted the pilots that they were all set. The propeller’s spinning faster, slowly they rised to the sky.

Yunho threw him a light, yet intriguing look to his partner. Right across him, Max is carefully lifting his left pants, revealing his bionic leg, trying to loosen it up a bit. He stared on those springs and brain cable, sculpting that prosthetic leg for a few seconds, wondering that this kind of robotic stuff will support Max for the rest of his life.

“Does it hurt?” Yunho didn’t realize until the words slipped. “Eh, forget it.” he quickly added.

But Max simply brushed it off, “I have to get used to it. Now we need to focus, hyeong. You said we don’t have all the time in the world.”

The guy agreed and slowly turning back into his sturdy manner, “Don’t worry, we have plenty now. I’ve contacted them.”

 

***

There’s no single life there except Amber in that neat black room. She’s been sitting there forever, in that huge, hard sofa, waiting for something to happen.

“Hello?” she tried to communicate with the walls. Again.

Slightly, somewhere in this room, Amber started to hear noises. A growing, slicing sound that seems to come from a machine. But she saw nothing there, except her and the floor, and the walls.

“Jia, seriously, come on! What’s going on?” she yelled again, trying to at least make herself heard to anyone around this room. She knows she’s not alone, but being neglected like this is very irritating.

But the wall in front of her suddenly blinked, a blurry movement started to appear there, and as soon as this happened, Amber knew she’s in a meeting with someone.

 “Sorry Amber, connection problems.”  a voice echoed throughout the room, and a figure of that squared-jaw man is getting clearer and clearer every seconds, until Amber finally saw JYP’s face all over the wall. Yes, his face popped around her, greeting her on all four of the walls.

“Man, this is too creepy! Can we just skype or something? On a computer?” Amber stood up, looking around the room that are now all smiling to her.

“But this is way cooler, right?”  the man raised an eyebrow to her, and Amber just nodded fast to prevent him from further non-sense.

“You owe me an explanation, about my father.” Amber immediately start the conversation. The face before her seemed to be prepared to her demand, as he sighed and switched the other 3 walls into a series of informations. Amber moved to her left, and found the newspaper headline with his father’s photo. She checked the wall behind her and a photo of an unfamiliar man is displayed there. And lastly on her right side, that code appeared:

1 2 4 7 3 1 7

A whirl in her stomach pushed her to stand closer to the wall when she saw the code. That is the code that’s been haunting her since the day she saw it. The one that’s been making her burn her brain trying to figure out the connection between the code and her father. And now this JYP guy, miles away from her, showing this code right in front of her, so it has to be clearer this time.

“I see you’re familiar with those numbers...” JYP’s looking at the code as well. Amber’s not happy about it and she turned to him, “Just explain it all. Please. What is this all about?”

His face dissolved, quickly replaced by a full profile of Lee Mun Hee. His bust photo, full name, birth date, some other detail informations and a brief description of his background. Amber had seen this kind of general profile hundreds of times before, and obviously she wanted something more than this.

JYP’s voice still can be heard all over the room, “I want you to address him professionally as Professor Lee Mun Hee. By day, he was a lecturer at Korea Institute of Science & Technology, by night he ran his own research and projects with his partner, Dr. Noh. A week after Prof. Lee Mun Hee passed away, this man came to this very facility and shared something, only he and the late Prof. Lee Mun Hee knows: the code.”

She checked the wall behind her and saw a clean picture of Dr. Noh, a short man with strands of white hair growing on his head, “I’ve been trying to look for clues and try to crack this code, but there’re so many missing links. To be honest, I don’t know where to start.” said Amber as she scanned his dad’s profile.

“Well, start with yourself. When did the first time you find this code?”

The flashback popped instantly, and Amber didn’t need minutes to recall everything. “It was that evening, after the guests had left our house. I was playing games, and accidentally messed up with appa’s work. It was just an accident, but something caught his attention that moment.”

“Did he say anything?”

Amber pointed fast on the right wall, where the code is displayed there bold and clear. “That code. After that he gave us a little lecture about codes, which we didn’t really understand back then. But it had nothing to do with the code. In fact, it was a totally different topic. It’s like, he was too excited he wanted us to understand the very basics of the coding world that instance.”

“Us? Was there another person along with you and Prof. Lee Mun Hee ?”

Amber inhaled deeply. She was being careless.

“Yes. My neighbour.”

“So little Max Changmin was there too when he lectured you? Amber, you don’t need to cover for him anymore. He’s on the run now, and is listed as a threat. Covering him makes you a criminal too, you know that too right?”

Amber remained silent, didn’t know what to go against that. Except a bunch of questions, of course. But this moment is too good to let go, so Amber’s planning to be a good girl and go along with what JYP’s leading her to.

“Had he ever mentioned that code after that day?”

“No, at least not in front of me.” Amber replied confidently.

JYP nodded, “If that’s so, I have something that might provoke your interest.”

Lee Mun Hee’s profile dissolved, and replaced by an amateur video. Amber quickly noticed her father’s voice, assuming he’s the one behind the camera because of his loud and shaky voice.There was a laptop on top of a messy desk, probably taken at night because the lighting was on.

“Lee Mun Hee here. Eh..eheh...well, this is it. There, everything is all set.” said Lee Mun Hee, short-breathed yet exited. It somehow sent the chills all over Amber, feels like only yesterday she listened to that voice.

The camera moved closer to the laptop, shaking all the way. “Hhh...haha! Introducing Profiler 2.1 ! All bugs fixed, faster, wider search area, AND with a new feature! Oh this is the best: access to facial topographies! My dear Amber helped me with this! She is a genius, I knew it since the day she was born! Hhh... I love you sweetheart. And you, Profiler 2.1, are going to make it to the states!”

The laptop screen looks blurry, but Amber could still see something’s going on there. The camera is now seated in front of the laptop, Lee Mun Hee’s hands jammed onto the keyboard. “A little demonstration!” he said, but his voice sounds a little further now that he’s not holding the camera anymore.

The program ran some sort of scanning through a lot of heads and faces and while doing so, Lee Mun Hee narated again, “Hhh..let’s try me, for example. So, you see, I haven’t put in any data of me here. But with my new Pyro engine, connected to the cyber system, this will trace every little details about me using anything accessable (and inaccessable) sources: websites, databases, personal PC, and this stuff doesn’t need any control at all. With a planted A.I inside, he can make his own choices and will not stop until he find the person wanted! Look, he has found me in...less than 30 seconds! Oh my... imagine how every intelligence force can rely on this things to search their most difficult fugitives, ohooo this is going to be great!”

Paused.

“Wha- let me watch the rest of the video!” Amber protested.

JYP’s face appeared once again and he smiled, “The rest is pretty much geek stuffs. But you’ve seen the point.”

“Yeah. It’s the project that I accidentally ‘helped’ him with. So...”

“I can see the answer on your face.”said JYP, giving his sincere smile before switching off the screens. And before she knew it, the room is back to black again.

***

Swimming through the ocean of people couldn’t take away Key’s attention from his own mind. He kept checking his cellphone for the past few hours, waiting for a phonecall, a text, or anything from Jia. It’s not like Jia promised him anything soon, but he couldn’t  shrug off the idea either.

A little nudge on his arms popped his tangled thoughts. Key finally got back on his feet and saw Nicole staring at him, worried.  “Are you okay?” she asked right away.

“Not really.” Key answered honestly. He could feel their walking pace has somehow slowered down now as they crossed the block of this busy market street.

“What is it? It can’t be about the design right? I mean, since that scene with Amber and the motorcyclist, you’ve been acting weird..” Nicole daringly pointed out her mind.

Key grabbed her closer to his side, whispering, “Don’t look, but I think someone’s following us.”

He didn’t lie. Ever since they arrived in this area, a man in a brown jacket has been eyeing them silently. At first, Key thought he might be working in one of the fabric stores. But then it got even weirder, especially after they stepped out of Doota Shopping Mall, this guy was also seen not far behind them.

“Don’t change the topic, Key. I know you’re-“

Key held her hand tightly, “The guy in an ugly brown jacket. We saw him at Doota! Slowly now, look around.”

Nicole peeped through her shoulder and found the guy just like what Key descripted. He straightly looked back into her eyes, trying to make an eye contact. So she quickly turned around and gave a nod to Key, “Is he really stalking us?”

“Just keep walking.” Key said, walking faster into the crowd.

Soon they arrived in the fashion market, where tons of fabrics, buttons, and accessories are sold along the downtown and inside. With quick steps, Key led her into the market area with the hope that they will lose the trace here.

“Do you know him?” Nicole asked naively as both of them stopped at a fabric store and combed through their collection.

“Of course NOT! But I might know who he is.” replied Key fast. His eyes are viewing around, watching if the guy is hidden somewhere around them now, while his hands are carefully admiring some silks. “I think we’d lost him.”

They moved to another store, and this one sells colorful threads and buttons. A couple of workers passing by with rolls of fabrics on their shoulders, and Key took the chance to hide behind them. He’s still looking out for the guy, but there was no sight of him now. His best guess was, that the guy is related to Max and for some reason he’s now hunting him down. Still mad because he managed to get Amber away from them in Paris.

“Let’s get- -“ Key stopped. Three men are circling him now, dressing casually, with a roll of fabric in each hand. And Nicole is out of sight.

“Where is she?! Where is Nicole?!” Key was surprised that he didn’t hear Nicole’s screamings or anything. What could have they done to her, he thought.

One of them, with a scar under his chin stepped up, “Quietly come with us, we don’t need to make a fuss here.”

“YAH! WHAT DID YOU DO TO HER??” Key threw his wild glance all over the place, searching, but there really is no sign of Nicole.

“Hurry!” said the tallest man out of the three. And with his order, the other two grabbed Key’s arm on both sides, ignoring his grunts and struggling, dragging him all the way out of the market.

“Are you all working for Max? Let me see him!” Key didn’t bother to keep his voice low while people are starting to notice their fuss.

Key struggled even harder to free himself when he got no answer. But then he saw that man in the ugly brown jacket, leaning to one of the fabric stall, slightly smiling at him. He moved aside, and behind him is Nicole, looking like a scared kitten.

“Nicole!” Key yelled, a bit relief that she’s okay.

“You boys might want to let him go.” the brown jacket let his voice out. “You’re dealing with the wrong guy.”

Key could feel the grips on his both arms got tightened, as the man with the scar replied, “We’re just doing our job, okay? Step aside.”

The brown jacket guy chuckled, “Congratulations, you just said the password! “

And after that, everything around Key was happening so fast. He heard a couple of punches on his ears, guys coughing, and bodies falling, it’s like someone clicked the fast forward button and he just couldn’t keep up.

“There’s no time. Both of you, come with me.” said the brown jacket man after he finished his job.

Key opened his eyes and all three guys have been knocked out around him. Nicole ran and hugged him, shivering and speechless. The brown jacket man made a hand gesture, asking them to follow him to the back of the market, before people started questioning them.

“Who are you?” asked Key while following him through fabrics and vendors.

“I’m assigned to guard you. Just like the rest of your friends, who are also under our protection.” he said, turning swiftly and made way like he owns the market.

“JYP- “

“Ssstt! You don’t have to mention it in the public.”

Key was still so confused. But he do remember something about this kind of thing when he was on the phone with Heechul. Well, he thought it was just an assuring promise, but JYP turns out to be a man of his words, giving them such a security.

“Who are those people?” asked Key.

The man stopped and asked Key to come near him, “I think we should talk when your girlfriend is not around.”

Key turned to Nicole and felt bad for her. She’s clearly clueless and frightened, and he has no plan of dragging her further into this mess. Even without words, he could see her asking over and over to him through her eyes, “What’s going on?”

“Come on, let’s walk you home.”  Key hugged her, but the brown jacket man stopped him.

“That’s not necessary. I have my people to drive her safely to her residence.”

And by the end of his sentence, Nicole was dragged by an ahjumma, and vanished into the crowd.

Key was still so shocked, he could only watch her go, without even saying anything. “What is this all about?”

The brown jacket man didn’t answer until they arrived in an abandoned store, where they can talk more of this. “Those guys have been following you for days. They notice your close relationship with Raven, and since they couldn’t find Raven, they decided to pry some informations out of you.”

“Wait, so now I am being targeted?” Key tried to sum it up as fast as he could, because this brown jacket man doesn’t looks like the type who likes to chat for hours.

“I’m afraid so. But I want you to stay at ease, because you’re safe now, and we will keep you away from any harm from any parties. Do you understand?” he a glance into Key’s eyes, making sure that his point is delivered.

Key sighed, “Okay, I think I understand. But since you’re here, can you connect me to Amber? I need to-“

“I’m afraid I can’t let you do that, especially after this accident happened. But there is one thing that we need to talk about. About your girlfriend.” he said.

“Yes, I want her to be safe! You should protect her 24/7! I’m sure JYP’s okay with that.”

The man shook his head, “No, JYP is not okay with that.”

“Oh please. What do you mean he’s not okay with that? He has men, he has you to protect me, and-”

“Kim Kibum-ssi.” he once again stopped him, “We need to let you know that we are going to perform a memory-erasing procedure, for Nicole Jung.”

Key thought he hears him wrong, but he now knows, in this professional world of crime-fighting organization, every words is said on purpose.

“Is this really necessary? I mean, I’m also a witness of many things happened! Taemin, was a victim! The girls, Suzy has told them everything! We know everything! Why don’t you erase our memories as well?!”

“As a matter of fact, we’re planning on doing that. When the time is right.”

 

***

to be continued~

Sorry for the late update! I've been busy with college works, but now I finally get my long long holiday~

Hope you enjoyed the update, and as always: critics, comments, anything is welcome !