The Box

Day X Night

 

It’s  6  in the morning, and Key yawned while walking downstairs like a zombie, annoyed by the ring of the door bell. “What do you want this early ah... aiiiishhhhh...” he mumbled and grunted to himself.

As soon as he arrived at the first story, he threw his deathly glance to anyone outside the window. But he saw no one, so he madly opened the door and was ready to yell out, when he saw a familiar police officer standing there with a package on his hands.

“Good morning, Key! I’m just here to drop this off.” he said as he handed the box to him, “It’s Amber Liu’s confiscated belongings. We took it for evidence when we sealed her apartment, but now since...JYP took over the case, Detective Kim wants her to keep her stuffs back.”

Key took a cautious look of the box he’s holding, and after found nothing abnormal, he turned back to the officer, “Then how about her apartment? When will it be released?”

The officer chuckled indifferently, “He didn’t say anything about that. But from what I heard, it’s soon to be released.”

Key glared at him, “If it’s only ‘soon’, I know already. Seriously, he hadn’t said anything?”

“He’s you abeoji anyway, you can just call him or something, ok? Gotta go now, you know, morning patrol.” he waved politely at him before returning to the police car.

With quick steps, he climbed back to the second floor and smiled when he saw Amber still buried under her blanket. Not long after their little talk last night, she immediately fell asleep. Now that I think about it, how many days in a year can you spend your night peacefully like this?

Key managed to hold himself from waking her up, letting her sleep a little longer. He can’t see her face, but he could witness her soft breathing under those blankets.

He scoffed, “Ehh...sleeping like a baby.” after putting the box next to her.

***

Amber POV

I saw him.

Key.

I kept walking in this crowded city, following him. He’s walking backwards, keeping his eyes set on me. But there’s no smile on his face. Why...?

Suddenly I heard a roar from my back. I turned around and found a speeder on his motorcycle running fast toward me. I stepped aside, letting him pass.

“Amber noona!”

That motorcyclist turned out to be Taemin. I smiled.

“Taemin-ah! Slow down!” I could hear myself shouted at him.

Right after my sentence, Taemin started to cry, “I can’t noona... Ohtokke- - -“

“Taemin...? TAEMIN !!” I shouted even more.

But I was too late.

He disappeared into a pitch darkness.

I thought I’d screamed, but nothing came out of my throat.

My voice is gone.

And that’s when I see Key started turning around...

...disappeared into the crowd.

I wanted to chase him, but a pink-haired girl stand before me.

She touched my head with her finger, before she dissolved into a million pieces of codes in front of me.

Those codes swirled and swapped, assembling themself into appa’s face.

Appa settled, then talked very slowly, with a heavier voice than usual, “1 2 4 7 3 1 7

“... that’s my chicken!”

What the heck...

“HYEONG! You have your own chicken right?? Come on...”

I crawled out from my blanket, awaken by their noises and a freezing sensation under my shirt. I rubbed under my jacket and grabbed out the cold stuntgun. I shouldn’t have brought it with me while sleeping, man I’m lucky I wasn’t stunned. Key’s blankets had been folded neatly. So I guess I woke up late...

The smell of hot kimchi soup started to tickle my nose, and with the boys being so noisy, I guess they’re having a fun breakfast downstairs.

“Hhhhhh...” I exhaled while stretching my arms widely.

But that dream... aiiiisshhh, a real pain in the . Screw you stupid dream!

I wanted to get up, but my body is pulling me back to the futon. I don’t know what I’m going to do today. It’s like, a kind of day off, but with no vacation plan on mind. It’s simply blank. Seriously blank. But there must be something I can do!

Or should I go back to the mansion? They have something to tell about appa, didn’t they? And I have the right to know the rest of the information..

I jumped out of bed (finally) and making my way downstairs. I could smell better at those awesomely delicious foods served on table. Wow, I almost forget what a great chef Key is!

Yeah and I was right. Kimchi soup, egg rolls, and many other side dishes are dancing in front of me right now, and they actually fit in this small dining table!

“Morning, Ambro!” Onew, who was running around a while ago, now’s back in his seat with the stolen chicken. While Taemin, in the other hand, pouted a little, joining back to the table. Hmm, this scene of those two feels nostalgic~

Key pulled an extra chair to the table for me, “Please, enjoy your throne, your highness.”

“Ohh...awesome~ Now I’m a royalty!” I tried to reply the joke as I sit there with the rest of the boys.

There’s someone at the table, that’s been giving me a worried look since last night, and that person is Minho. I thought that kind of reaction would be shown by Jonghyun, but instead that casanova has been being quite cool about it. I peeked at Minho, and he’s glancing at me non-stop-ly, and I don’t even wanna know what he’s thinking.

“Did you have a nice sleep?”

I paused myself from spooning the soup when he finally talked. I could feel the others turned awkward all of a sudden as well.

“Ophh...mm...” I gulped, “..sure! Never slept better these days.”

He nodded warmly and exhaled like he’s been holding his breath for hours. “I’m glad you’re okay.”

“Ehmm.” Key faked a throat-clearing sound as he glared to Minho, “At least let her finish her breakfast before you start some detective scene.”

Minho glared fast at him, “But those men, even in that highly-secured building, could broke in like ghosts... What if- -“

“But I’m okay now, okay?” I cut in. Now I see why Minho’s been acting weird. I think he’s been thinking about of all the bad possibilities that might have happened last night. “They saved me, oppa. I’ve told you right? The first thing they did when they sensed danger last night, was making sure about my security. They’re, sort of, protecting me, I guess.”

Onew kept munching his chicken, trying not too get involved. While Taemin got all nervous by himself, and I feel bad for him to be trapped in this heating situation.

Key’s knocking his chopstick to his bowl, making a really noisy noise. “My, you just ruined our beautiful breakfast, Minho. Geez.”

I spotted a cloud of gloom appeared on Minho’s face. Now I feel bad to myself. Damn it.

Jonghyun spoke out, “Now now guys, Key’s right. This is Amber’s first breakfast with us after a while..”

Taemin slowly continued to eat while supporting Jonghyun with a strong head nodding.

Magically, Key managed to turn back the ‘breakfast mood’ and without even noticing it, we’re already drown in mindless conversations and stupid jokes (with some rounds of chopstick-showdown too). Minho tried his best to shake off his anxiety, and turned back into his competitive side when it comes to a contest. Umm yeah, it’s just an egg roll eating contest with Onew but still, Minho’s really serious about it.

A while after, Key sent everyone off to campus like a caring mom, before going straight to the kitchen, doing the dishes. He decided to stay home today to accompany me, and I must say, I kind of...thanked him for that.

As I’m bringing the bowls and saucers to the sink, he scoffed, “Hmm Amber, I can see how much you’ve been missing us. We’re too cute to be ignored, aren’t we?” and then he laughed.

The heat creeped up my cheeks. I have no idea why the hell I am blushing right now. Just keep washing... just keep washing...

“Why are you blushing like that huh?” Key turned to me, busting my embarrasment. “Oh almost forgot, your box is upstairs! My dad just sent back your confiscated things!”

It took me twice to really understand what he said, until I said, “Wah...are you serious?!”

“Yeah, it’s upstairs!” he repeated.

***

I raced upstairs and found the box right away. I mean, it’s a pretty huge cardbox left alone in the corner, why didn’t I notice it this morning?

There’s no time for cutter or scissors. Think I’m just going to give it a little punch and...agh...there it is. I successfully made a hole at the top of the box with my fist. Just a little more tearing here and there and hell yeah, I just defeated the cardbox, with no tools!

“Oh great. I’m just bringing this cutter for fun. No reason.” Key showed up behind me with a kitchen knife, pretty irritated by the way I chose to open my box.

“My laptop...He returned my laptop!” I could feel excitement running through my veins as I pushed my hand through the box, grabbing my most precious gadget.

“Aigoo..it got so dirty...” I carefully wiped the screen with my jacket after switching the laptop on.

Key took a sit next to me as he watched the screen, “I hope he didn’t erase your datas or something...”

“I think he couldn’t access those datas, my clients and all, I’ve never kept them.” I said while checking my generals programs and datas. Nothing has changed, except my wallpaper. I mean, seriously, I don’t remember using a landscape of flowers as my wallpaper. Very pretty, gentlemen.

“Hey don’t you wanna check the rest of your things?” Key peeked into my box. “Wah, what is this, they even confiscated your headphone!”

“Eh? Really?” I turned to him and spotted my old big headphone on his head. With his small head under those pads, he looks kinda...cute... Geez, what am I thinking.

He’s still using my headphone as he dug more out of my box. He took out my ‘Basic Coding for Beginner’ book and scoffed, “I really had no idea that you like to read something like this. Damn Amber, you’re a geek!”

I pulled the box over and searched inside. I found some old notebooks from my junior high, and I guess I know why they took it. I used to write my codes in any books to practice,because I haven’t got a laptop yet that time.

Then I found my iPod classic, the one mom gave me on my birthday, and I’m still using it until now. What? Those polices thought I might record something crime-like in it?

“Let me take a look at your playlist!” he said, taking away the iPod just like that. I sighed and continued to searched my box. There are my student IDs, my wallet, academic reports, hmm... I bet they found nothing on them.

Hey~
Yo! 

Na eoddeokkhaeyo eonni 
Nae mareul deureobwa
...”

I turned around as I heard the familiar song and Key’s smiling at me, “So you like f(x) too?”

I nodded, “One of my favourites!”

He put the iPod on the floor and reached out his hand to me, “Let’s dance!”

He’s asking me to dance...?

“Ah? No! No no!” I sticked my on the floor.

“Na Na Na Na NaNa Na~NU ABO!” he sang along and winked at me cheesily. “Come on, I know you haven’t dance in a while!”

After a few struggling seconds, I gave up and let him pull me up. He clicked stop on my iPod and then play the song from the top, before joining me on the ‘dance floor’.

The music echoed in this empty house and I couldn’t do anything but seeing him starting to move his body to the music. He’s slowly changing as the music flows, dived into his feminine side and  before I knew it, I already smiled as I watch him dancing flawlessly in front of me. I always love his bright eyes whenever he dances...

“Amber, your turn!” he said excitingly.

I waited for the beat and finally jumped into it, dancing with him. He’s sharp eyes challenged me and I had no choice but to show him what I got. I could feel the vibe everytime I stomped my feet and stretched my arms, flowing with every beat. I miss this feeling of freshness, it pumps up my energy and grows my mood rapidly, as if I am the music itself...

We kept dancing to the next few songs, and Key really blown me away with his perfect dance routines. He can dance to most girlgroup’s famous dances, and today might be the first time I see him dancing like this in this distance. Clearer than ever, I think I could even hear every breath he took. He’s moving like the song would never end, making every second even more powerful than before. This scene happened a lot when we were in junior high and high school. He has been always passionate about dancing and expressing himself with no limits. And now his feet barely touched the ground and somehow...I could feel he’s getting further away from me... it’s almost like he’s flying and leaving me...

“...Amber! Amber!”

“Oh?”

He already squatted down while checking on my iPod. I noticed the song had changed into a ballad one. That’s why we stopped dancing.

“...The left side of my heart hurts so much
As it gets crushed by something
Every time I breathe
When I think of you, when I hear something about you
For a long time, my heart was in so much pain
...”

Key sat in exhaustion, he turned to me, “This song...really sad...”

I’m still standing in my place frozen by the lyrics. I haven’t listened to this song for a while, but...why...

“Awww Amber...you’re a romantic girl, aren’t you...?”

How can you smile?
Because I still can't breathe...”

“Think you can dance to this one? Let’s see what you got!” he got up and walked toward me with his smiles.

How can you be happy?
When everything is still so awkward for me

The left side of my heart hurts so much...as it gets crushed by something...Every time I breathe...” I mumbled the chorus.

He’s smiling at me and pat my head roughly, “Don’t sing such a sad song..”

“...when I think of you, when I hear something about you...For a long time, my heart was in so much pain...”

Key seemed to be a bit taken back. He’s staring at me carefully but didn’t say a thing.

God! Did he...he didn’t think I actually sang that for him...right? It was...

“Oh, so... you have kept those for yourself..? For this long...?” he asked me bluntly.

My heart’s beating wildly, almost like it’s going to explode or something. I think I could kill myself anytime now. Anytime now. ANYTIME NOW.

“I...I was...” I tried to say things, but my jaw suddenly got heavy.

“GIRL, you got voice! You should sing like that more often! It’s beautiful!” he punched my shoulder jokingly.

What...?

“What?” I finally controlled my thumping chest.

He’s clapping proudly, “Amber, you’re a talented dancer, secretly a super-freakishly-genious-geek-hacker, and now you’re an awesome singer too?! Wow, you should be an idol or something...”

So he didn’t catch it. Gosh... I was scared to death, I almost wanted to bury myself alive...

Well, at least I don’t have to kill myself now.

But I wish he would remember those lyrics.

***

 to be continued...

***

Happy Valentine's Day !!! 

Sorry it took me long to update this, I haven't got enough sleep these days because of the crazy assignments >.<

But I thought I'll give you guys a special treat in this day full of love, so I hope you enjoy this chapter~^^

Have lots of love, guys! Spread the love~~

 

Oh, almost forgot! The song that Amber sang was, 'K.Will - Left Heart'. It's also a song she picked for SM audition back in 2007~ ^^