Living With Max

Day X Night

“Sorry…there’s only something like this…” said the tall guy in apron, serving a hot bowl of noodles.

The tomboy’s still busy drying her hair with the towel but she nodded anyway, “Kamsahamnida…”

Max chuckled while cleaning the dishes, “Eventhough I live by myself, I’m not a good cook you know.”

Amber put aside the towel and stared at the bubbly noodle in front of her. She glanced at Max, asking for permission to eat. Max took off his apron before joining her on the dining table, “Go on. Eat. You must be hungry.”

Instead of attacking the noodle, she asked, “Why are you wearing an apron ?”

Max laughed, but not the usual cold laugh, a normal laughters. “I’m wearing my sleeping suit, I don’t want it to get stained…”

Amber chuckled, “Sleeping suit ? You mean pyjamas…”

“It’s the same. Come on, eat, before it gets cold.” he’s handing her a pair of chopstick.

Max noticed that she’s wearing the t-shirt and short pants he chose for her. He really does look like a guy, it’s amazing. She’s eating the noodle fast like there’s not enough time to finish that bowl. Is she always this insecure ? Staying alert all the time between her college days ?

“Tell me more.” he said, while enjoying his time watching her eat.

She looked up from the bowl, her face is all clean and Max was a bit surprised.

“How could you…You’re eating like a monster, how could you get so clean ?” Max’s trying to find any stain on her face.

“That’s just the way I work. Neat and clean.” she replied after finishing her bowl to an end.

Max’s giving her a tired look, “It’s not your work time- -“

“Yah !” she cut his sentence. “Thanks for…all of these.. But seriously, when are you going to tell me what happened in the police station ? Don’t act like there’s nothing going on…”

***

The sound of TV outside made the boys stayed awake. Minho’s laying down but he’s staring to the other guys silently. Taemin’s sleepy but he can’t seem to comfort himself under the blanket. Onew peeked through the door and he could see Key’s watching a midnight news. Jonghyun sniffed, “Aiishh jinjja… that guy…”

Onew raised a shoulder, “We all worry about Amber, but we know he’s the most…”

Jonghyun glared at him, “Yeah, but being depressed is not the answer !!”

“You’re becoming hot-tempered too Jjong… Don’t you think you need to control it a bit ?” Minho added from his bed.

Jonghyun slammed the door open and got out from the room. He decided to join Key on the couch, watching the boring midnight news. Key gave him a cold look, “Why are you here ?”

“This is OUR tv, so I can watch it anytime I want to !” he barked.

Key crossed his legs femininely and turned up the volume.

“YAH !!!” Jonghyun grabbed the remote furiously, which automatically drove the fashionista mad.

“What are you trying to pull hah ?!” Key tried to get back ‘his’ remote. He struggled with Jonghyun but eventually losing and was slammed back to the couch. Jonghyun took out the batteries and threw back the dead remote to him.

“YAH PUMPKIN !!! “ Key surprisingly landed a punch on his face…but he missed. Which made him even more angry.

“Just get some sleep, will you ?!” Jonghyun pushed him back to the couch and scattered the batteries on the floor. Before going back to his room he barked, “It’s not like WE don’t care about her. But there’s nothing you can do either, snap out of it !”

Key gritted his teeth, his fingers clawed deeply into the couch. “I’m the son of Seoul’s top detective and I can’t even do a thing !! You don’t know how I feel, bastard !!  All you know is how to date as many girls as you can in­- -“

BUK !

Key felt the the heat raised up to his cheekbone as Jonghyun punched him.

“Shut up! If you think you’re that useless why don’t you just ditch yourself somewhere in the dumpster !! And I’m not dating just ANY girl. What do you know about girls…”

“More than you think.”

***

The blue light from the laptop shining on her face is the only lighting in the library. Beeping sounds cracked the silence as Amber grunted whenever she fails. She’s sitting on the cold floor, hijacking Max’s laptop with no mercy.

“Forget it, you can’t trace them. Their level is beyond your expectations. They’re highly trained and professional.” said Max lightly as he play with his smartphone on the sofa.

“Why did they try to kill Taemin ? I mean, they got absolutely nothing to do with him. Taemin’s not even often seen hanging out with me. If it’s Key or Jjong, it’ll make sense. But it’s not like I want them to get hurt or something, it’s just…” Amber kept clicking on Max’s laptop no matter how noisy the beeping sounds get. These girls sure are driving her insane.

Max turned to her, “Don’t you think you should first concern about your doppelganger ?”

Amber scoffed, “I’m sure they’re one of Miss A.”

The detective chuckled, “Is that a lucky guess ?”

“No, it’s a speculation.” said Amber when she took a piece of paper (stolen from Max’s printer) and drew something. She then showed it to him, it’s a simple connection chart she made.

“Look. As far as I knew, Miss A has three personals. Suzy entered my campus to observe me. Jia has a hidden mission I haven’t known yet. Min is Taemin’s attempt murderer, but she did a suicide, which is FAKE.”

“What? You haven’t told me anything about it...” Max got attracted and joined her on the floor.

“She stabbed herself in front of me, to run away I guess. I don’t know how, but they somehow know my weakness…”

“You’re afraid of blood ?” asked Max while sorting the scattered notes on the floor.

Amber didn’t answer, she kept explaining her theory, “Maybe there’s another Miss A waiting for her down the hill, and I’m 100% sure that Min is still alive. And even so, she can’t be my doppelganger. Because she’s injured, in the arm, ah..from the explotion.”

“The choice is between Suzy and another Miss A member, if there is.”

“Because of the height ?” Max added.

Amber said with a proud tone, “Yup, as simple as that. Miss A is plotting up something, and I need your help on this.”

“I’m on it.”

***

Detective Kim got stomped to his chair in horror. The girl sitting next to him in handcuffs is smiling happily. She hinted to the computer screen in front of them, “See ?”

“I can’t believe it…” he zoomed the screen and melted in desperation.

Suzy, still playing her role as Amber, couldn’t stop smiling, “That’s why I told you to stay away from Amber Liu for a while…”

Detective Kim contacted his best IT people to come over to his office. His face is a mixture of fear, anger, and disappointment, Suzy couldn’t even tell what’s going on through his mind right now. But one thing for sure, she’s proud to finally prove something to this detective.

The IT man came in a rush, zooming and checking the map on the screen, “Wow…this is a very smooth satellite.”

Suzy bowed her head, “Why thank you…I made it by myself.”

The IT man looked pretty amazed as he clicked several settings on the screen. His forehead got wrinkly when he said, “Isn’t it Changmin-ssi’s apartment ?”

Detective Kim could feel his stomach ache, “Call my team.”

Suzy stopped him, “Jamkkanman…what team ?”

“Surveillance team. I won’t believe this junk unless I witness it with my own eyes. My team will surround his apartment 24/7 and that’s when I will find out if Amber Liu is really there or not.”

“Don’t be so naïve, detective. This is a proof already. Max Changmin is a double agent and that’s that.” Suzy’s waiting for his reaction.

Detective Kim got up from his seat, “Listen, I respect you and I hope that you could respect me as well. I’m doing this as part of the procedure. Are we understand each other ?”

“Sure, but one tip from me : Don’t get caught. He might be your junior, but he’s a sharp detective too.”

He smiled bitterly, “I know that. He’s a good kid… ace of my team.”

***

to be continued...

Sorry for the long update...

I've been doing some drabbles to celebrate SM Town Live in Paris (Kyutoria/Khuntoria) http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/37024/24-hours-sm-town-live-in-paris-drabbles-2pm-fxband-khuntoria-nichkhun-victoria

Updates might take a while, thanks for supporting this story !