The Glimpse

Remember The Forgotten...

 

Jonghyun’s POV

I was at the detention room again, yawning and wincing at the sudden pain in my cut lip every time the yawn stretches it. I shot a glare over my shoulders at the pig who was immersed in his stupid books again. I could have had more sleep if the idiot behind me now did not drop by a visit in the dead of the night and giving me a punch in the face.

“Would you stop glaring at me? You look hideous when you do that.”

He did not even look up from his book, damn it! How did he know if I looked handsome or hot? Wait…isn’t that the same thing? Man, Jonghyun! This lack of sleep is really doing something to your IQ level.

Hold on a second! Am I actually talking to myself?

“You’re neither handsome nor hot.” Minho’s voice stopped the inner argument.

My jaw dropped. How did he know that? I couldn’t have shown that thought on my face, could I? Minho’s trademark smirk came on and that answered my question. I groaned as I turned back to face the front at the same time as a teacher entered the room.

“Put up your hand when I call your names and tell all those who aren’t here yet to report themselves to the office later.”

She read off names in the small piece of paper in her hand and when she was done, she asked, “Did I get all of them?”

There was a murmur of ‘yes’ and “I don’t know” and a few shrugs while Minho and I remained as still as statues trying to be inconspicuous. Our efforts were to no avail as her eagle eyes settled on me.

“Mr.Kim! I don’t remember calling your name! Why are you here?” she barked at me as she quickly glanced through her list for confirmation to her spoken words. “And your name isn’t here either, Mr.Choi.”

I sighed and dropped my head to the table. Why did she have to drop by today when she has never done that before in the entire school history?

“Mr.Kim! Mr.Choi! Pack up your things and go back to class this instant!”

“What’s the point?” I retorted. “We’ll just get sent back here the very second Mr.Shim sees us so just save us the trouble and leave us here. Besides, it saves you the trouble to come back again later.”

“Mr.Kim! You watch your tongue or -”

“You’ll be here for the rest of the week?” Minho finished her sentence, his attention still focused on the page in front of him. “That’s exactly why we’re here right now.”

“Why, you!”

“Oops! She’s bursting soon,” I said in a mock sing song voice.

“DETENTION! FOR THE REST OF THE MONTH!” She roared before storming out of the classroom.

Minho and I chuckled in amusement as we exchanged looks and traded a high five. She had no idea that she has just given us the biggest favour yet.

“Great teamwork, you two,” came another chuckle from behind us.

“And what brings you here, Onew?” Minho asked with raised eyebrows.

Although Onew was clumsy and silly all the time, he somehow managed to always stay in the teachers’ good books. They all say that he was cute and adorable whenever he did those blank and confused look. I mentally rolled my eyes at that.

“Well, an occasional visit to detention is good for health. We can’t be goody goody all the time, can we? I mean, where’s the fun in that?” Onew said with a shrug.

Minho and I exchanged another glance. This time, it was a sceptical one. I pressed my hand to Onew’s forehead and scrunched my forehead in concentration.

“Your temperature is normal, though. Are you having any symptoms that’s not visible on the outside?” I said.

“Hey!” he protested and peeled my hand away from his forehead. “I was here because I was thinking that we should drop by our favourite fried chicken store on the way to Minho’s place. I haven’t been there since forever.”

Minho looked at me again. “Is he trying to say that he wants to skip school for chicken?”

“Aren’t you supposed to be the psychic one?” I asked him back. “You tell me.”

“Oh, seriously! Shut up, guys and let’s go!” Onew rolled his eyes as he walked to the door, tripped over a desk leg and fell face forward on to the floor. “Ow,” he said three seconds after he had landed.

The guys laughed at his clumsiness, the girls cooed at his silliness while Minho and I groaned at his stupidity.

“Come on, man. Get up before you humiliate us any further.” We grabbed him by his armpits, hauled him up to his feet and towed him out.

We dropped Onew on the ground when we had reached Minho’s bike. “So do we go by ourselves and meet up there or go in my car and I’ll drop you guys here later?”

“Together!” Onew was jumping up and down again.

“By ourselves,” Minho’s low voice suggested.

I nodded. “Okay. We’ll meet up in the club a few doors down from Minho’s. See you, guys.” We both ignored Onew’s complain of unfairness and about how much his life depended on that serving of fried chicken as we mounted our vehicles.

I had no clue why I suddenly thought about going there. It just sort of came up randomly. I guess the only rational explanation for that was because I needed to drown myself with alcohol and loosen up once in a while since being a student is such a pain in the .

But in a corner of my mind, I knew the reason was for me to not think about you for once in my life…

The moment the three of us stepped into the club, everything stopped moving as if time has halted like in Matrix and every head turned to look – or rather gawk - in our direction. Talk broke out immediately afterwards. We made our way to a booth furthest from the dance floor and Minho stopped a waiter, discreetly putting an extra bill into his front pocket (we’re underage) and ordered for a dozen of beers. Of course he knew why I wanted to come here of all places.

We all grabbed a can of beer each and clanged them together muttering a low ‘cheers’. I downed mine in one and reached for another ignoring the frown Onew was giving me. Let’s see how many I can drink before I lose myself, shall we?

I was at my fourth can when a hand slithered around my chest from the back and honestly, I was so close to vomiting the beer back up.

“Hey, handsome. Care to join my friends and me on the dance floor?” the purr in the voice gave me goosebumps instead of being seductive. Minho and Onew shook their heads with a sigh of pity for the girl but she did not seem to get it as she said, “I can rid your sorrows away faster than you can get yourself drunk.” Her lips were dangerously close to my ears.

“Get your filthy hands off me.” I growled, roughly throwing the arms away from me and the girl landed on the floor with a yelp.

“How dare you!” she screeched as she stormed away.

I did not even spare her one glance as I emptied the third can and went for the fourth. Onew’s hand shot out to stop me.

“Take a break, Jonghyun.” I knocked his hand aside and downed the fourth one too.

It was at my fifth beer that I could feel the alcohol slowly taking over my system. The pain in my chest was gradually fading. The hole in my heart seemed to have healed even if it was only for a day.

Until tomorrow, Key…

 

Onew’s POV

I looked towards Minho who was busy watching the dance floor where s of all kinds were busy grinding their hips against any male flesh they could find. Huh. I never knew Minho was interested in these kinds of girls but then, I don’t know if he was interested or he was merely analysing them like live experiments. Hell, I don’t even know if he was straight or gay. He doesn’t show much of expression, you know, besides the occasional trademark smirk of his and the cold mask he has on every day. I wonder if his five senses had been altered somehow. You might never know with a guy like him. He might have done an experiment in the past and the experiment had gone wrong and so he could no longer show emotion but has the psychic power instead. Eew…why am I making him sound like an altered version of Spiderman? Onew, pull yourself together! I mentally slapped my face.

“Ouch!” I shouted when the stinging pain told me that I had done it physically and not mentally.

Minho averted his eyes from the dance floor to give me a raised eyebrow. I have recognized that as “What the hell are you doing?” look of his.

“Sorry. There was a mosquito,” I laughed awkwardly.

His raised eyebrow went up higher. “On both your cheeks?”

I silently cursed my stupidity again. Change the topic, Onew! Change the topic! My head screamed at me. “I think you should get Jonghyun to stop taking the beers like he’s gulping down water.”

Minho glanced at Jonghyun and sighed. That idiot doesn’t even know we were talking about him as he downed his sixth can of beer when neither of us has finished our first. “Just let him be. I’ll deal with his craziness later.”

“Don’t you have work to do?”

“I’ll get Se Kyung to cover for me.”

Jonghyun suddenly hollered at a random guy and laughed childishly when the person stared at him in mild surprise and confusion. Minho sighed as he got up and bowed apologetically to the guy but Jonghyun wouldn’t stop at that. He sloshed the beer around as he waved the can in wild motions at whoever that walked past our table saying words like “Hey, bro!” “Stop shaking that , !” “Howdie, dude!”. Minho went to him and pushed Jonghyun further into the booth away from the walkway before he could cause any real trouble.

“Minho, I think you should really go to work and just leave him to me.”

He considered my offer for a second but decided against it as he shook his head saying, “I can handle it.”

As if to cut me off from saying anything more about it, he caught hold of another waiter, ordered for three more beers and went back to observing the dance floor. I could see girls eyeing him and giggling when his eyes settled on them for less than one second before darting across the floor again. It was a good thing Jonghyun threw off that girl or we would find ourselves swarming with them and it would be such a nuisance to get rid of them later on.

I don’t understand why Minho would go to such lengths just for Jonghyun. I mean, I get that they were childhood friends and all but not even childhood friends would do what Minho has done for Jonghyun. The things Minho did…it was as if he owed Jonghyun something that he could never pay back and so he was returning the debt this way, by standing behind Jonghyun through whatever. It wasn’t like he has always been doing this, too. He only started when Kibum left. I sighed as soon as the name came up in my mind. It seemed that everything revolved around one sole person, Kibum.

Everything was so perfect before he showed up in our school as a transferee from L.A. Jonghyun might have been the biggest playboy on earth but everything was perfect between the three of us. We were the inseparable brothers doing everything together and defending each other no matter who was right or who was wrong. Nobody messed with either of us and gets away with it. We would always hang out in Jonghyun’s house right after school, playing all the latest video games in his vast room. At that time, he was still living in his parents’ mansion.

Then, Kibum appeared and Jonghyun started spending lesser time with us. He was always with Kibum and whenever we tried to talk with him, he would say nothing outside the topic of how beautiful or how amazing or how almighty Kibum was. He moved out of his parents’ home and stayed in his penthouse apartment all by himself when they had an argument about how they would disown him if the news of him being a gay leaks to the newspaper. Well, they have been trying to force him into marrying a girl of their choice for ages but he had never been interested in any girl at all and that had them worried. Their nightmare came true when Jonghyun proudly brought Kibum home to introduce to them as his boyfriend and they freaked out.  You see, Jonghyun’s parents are very successful figures of Korea. They were behind half of the country’s economic growth, owning hotels and oil wells as well as prestigious music schools worldwide. So if such a news leaks into the media, Korea’s economy would be in danger when political and economic figures start doubting Jonghyun’s parents’ leadership and skills.

Oops, I‘ve side tracked too far, haven’t I? Anyway, I’m not saying that he being head over heels with Kibum was annoying. We were actually very happy for him for being able to find someone who he truly cherished and loved. It’s just that deep down, Minho and I have always known that one day, they would break up and Jonghyun would be a broken mess. One day…someday…it would happen…

We just didn’t expect it to be so soon…

 

 

Kibum’s POV

I waited for Taemin to go to school. The second his car disappeared around a corner, I rushed up to my room, threw on a pair of clothes (I’m just kidding. How can I, the diva, simply throw on any clothes?) and stuck my head out of the window to make sure that he was really gone before going out. Mind you, I do not usually do all this sneaky things but in order to not let my Minnie worry about how I might get lost and all, I had to leave after he leaves and come back before he does. That way, we can avoid any drama involving trust and freedom issues.

I hummed a random part of SHINee’s Life as I skipped along the side road heading to the row of shops where I worked.

I feasted my eyes at any little behaviour by anyone that passed me by, taking in the actions and reactions and wondering if I had done this or that or whether I had been in a particular situation myself. I was a few doors away from the café where I worked in when I heard some loud music booming from the store next to the one I was standing in front of. I tilted my head questioningly and went to look at what was so interesting in there. It was only then that I realized it was some kind of a dance club with lots of s and drunkards or at least that was what Taemin said when I had asked him some time ago. I stared at the entrance guarded by two buff looking guys curiously and the question “Have I ever been inside a club?” popped up in my head.

My legs carried me forwards disregarding of the screaming objections in my head. I was already at the entrance when an arm from either side of me shot out and barred my way.

“I.D.” one of the scary looking guards said.

“Um…I don’t have one,” I said truthfully. If I had one on me, I would have been able to figure out who I am, who my parents are and where I live instead of hogging off Taemin.

“No I.D. no entry.”

“But I just-,” I was going to come up with an excuse but my eyes had caught someone in there at the same time as he saw me. He was talking to his friend whose back was facing the entrance. His eyes widen in disbelief and something else…was it hope? Was he gonna apologise and do something to make up for what he had done yesterday? Anyway, I couldn’t care less. I just need to put as much distance as I can away from him. My curiosity about clubs had also vanished at the sight of him and so, I decided to leave. There was no point in going against those giants just to confront another idiot in there. My scalp throbs just seeing him.

I got back on the street and took a look at my watch. It was one hour to my working shift and I figured going to work early would do me good in the future. The café was so near, anyway. Going home would be stupid since I have to come back out in less than half hour later and I didn’t feel like walking around anymore after seeing that face so I might as well just go to work early even if I would have had to see another annoying face for an additional one hour. It was a good thing I had thought of putting an extra set of disguise into my locker in the café. This way, I wouldn’t have had to worry if I forgotten about it or if I was out somewhere before work. I stepped into the coolness of the air conditioned café and breathed in satisfaction.

I sat at the table nearest to the staff’s changing room to the back of the café so that I could sneak in there when on one was looking and change into being the girl version of Key. I called for a coffee and as I was waiting, I looked around realising that none of the workers from my shift was here yet. God must really be on my side. Then, I caught movements outside the café. Some drunken person was staggering around and his mouth was opened in what looked like a frantic shout for something or someone. It was quite rowdy in the café so I couldn’t catch what he was saying and I couldn’t see the face as well since he wouldn’t stop searching around like a maniac. He staggered forwards a few more steps and fell, tripping over his legs. Two pairs of arms immediately went to his aid and tried to pull him up but he was having a childish fit as he pushed them away, apparently wanting to get up on his own. I snorted as he fell on his every time he tried and his friends hovered above him in worry. He finally gave up and stayed on the ground in a kneeling position. Was that a sign of pain and despair? It looked that way to me as he slammed his fist against the ground repeatedly. What a drama, I thought and turned away from the scene to find more interesting things to look at.

 

 

Jonghyun’s POV

I was just there being a damned drunk, laughing at every little thing and waving to anyone and everyone who I think was looking at me. I waved Minho off every time he wanted to say something to stop me. Why spoil my fun when I have not had it for ages?

“Hyung, that was your seventh one. I think it’s time you stop,” Minho gripped my wrist when I reached for the eighth.

“Oh, come on,” I slurred. “You’re no fun,” I said with a hiccough. “Just because you can’t drink doesn’t mean-”

The blaring music went mute. All the swaying hips vanished from my line of vision. I must be seeing things. This can’t be true. It just cannot be real. That cannot be Kibum I just saw at the entrance of this club. It cannot be him who saw me and then, walked away like he was seeing through me like he didn’t know who I was. Like I wasn’t there. I must be drunk. I must be really really drunk.

“Jonghyun?”

I pushed Onew out of the booth and ran after him or at least that was what my mind wanted to do. My limbs, on the other hand, wobbled beneath my weight and I held onto the nearest table for support. I ignored the sound of breaking glasses and yelps as I pushed anything and anyone out of my way in my effort to chase after him. The one person I could never reach no matter how long I ran. I have no goal in my life except to get him back. That has been the one goal in my life. To get him back. I pray to whomever up there that was willing to listen to please not let my mind be thinking things. Let Kibum really be back. Let me be able to see him. Let me be able to hold him – to feel him alive and warm in my arms. I promise that I will let him go once I know he is breathing, walking and happy. Please. I just need to know that he’s happy and I will be happy. I will convince myself to be happy as long as you let me see that he was happy. I will let him go, then and bury my heart for once and for all. Just please…

I staggered out of the club and looked around me frantically for any sign of him. What was he wearing? What did his hair look like? Was his face thinner? I don’t remember. I can’t remember. Goddamnit! Why did I get myself drunk?!

“KIBUM!”I shouted hopelessly at the top my lungs and pedestrians stopped to glare at me.

I don’t know which direction I took. I only know that I had to look for him. I swayed left and right still shouting his name. My head felt like splitting into two. I didn’t even know I had tripped and fallen if it wasn’t for the pain in my knees. I had to keep going. I have to reach him. He will disappear again if I don’t. I have to… I have to! I HAVE TO!!!

“Hyung, that’s enough! Get up, now!”

I felt pressure on my elbows. Someone was holding me but I couldn’t see who it was. My vision kept going in and out of focus. “Minho? Is that you? I saw Kibum! I really did! He’s back, Minho! He’s back! I have to find him!”

“Jonghyun…,” Onew’s shaky voice called.

“You’ve had too much to drink.” It was Minho again. “Come on, hyung. I’ll get you home.”

No.

They don’t understand.

Didn’t they see Kibum?

They had to!

How can they have missed him?

My mind was going berserk. The headache was getting overwhelming. I shrugged off their hands on my elbows and tried to get back up on my feet so that I can continue searching but the pain and dizziness in my head was just too much.

I slammed my fist against the ground, concentrating on the pain shooting up my arm from my knuckles to divert my attention from the pain in my head and chest. I know I looked pathetic and hopeless but I can't help it. I can't help feeling this way when it comes to you.

“KIBUM!” I screamed one last time as I knelt on the cold concrete floor that reflected my feelings before darkness took over my system and my consciousness slowly faded into nothingness.

Why give me false hope when you know my entire life depended on it?

 

 

 

Are you guys happy i updated a lot sooner than i said i would? lol~

it's just that i was co-incidentally free today so i wrote this chapter in one go...

hmm...i hope i didn't make any silly mistakes...

and i think its kinda boring at some point...sorry TT

anyway, hope you like it!

and as usual, feel free to comment and criticize! ^^