The Past

Remember The Forgotten...

 

Kibum’s POV

 

I went home in record time. I wasn’t even aware of where my feet were leading me. All I did was run and run and run without thinking where I was going because I knew that if I were to start thinking, the first thing on my mind would be Jonghyun and Minho.

By the time I had reached my room and slammed the door shut, I was heaving and panting. Droplets of sweat dripped down my chin to the carpeted floor. It took me two minutes to get my breathing rhythm back to normal again and as soon as I have a steady breathing rate, I dragged my feet across the room to drop on to my bed. I shut my eyes tight and held on for as long as I could but when the first tear fell, I knew I had been holding in the pain for far too long.

It was the first time I had let my emotions get the better of me ever since Taemin found me.

I think I must have cried myself to sleep because the next time I was aware of my surroundings again, my room was slowly darkening compared to the earlier glare from the sun coming in through the windows. I blinked a few times feeling the soreness in my eyes and I raised a hand to gingerly feel around my eyes. They were no doubt swollen. A sigh escaped my lips as I my back and stared blankly into the ceiling above me. Suddenly, I heard the door click and I instinctively shut my eyes commanding my body to still and relax as if I was still asleep. My ears were on full alert, though and I can hear my room door creak open before a pair of feet stealthily made its way to my bedside. I mentally scolded my heart for the nervous loud beatings and tried hard to slow them down into a smooth rhythm. I almost jumped out of my skin when a sigh sounded above me.

“Key umma? Are you awake?” came my baby Taemin’s voice.

I contemplated on whether I should hold my breath but then realised that he would know I was awake then. There was a few seconds of a pause as if he was checking if I was really asleep.

“I’m so sorry, Key. I’m sorry for doing all these to you. I’m so sorry for all the secrets that shouldn’t have been secrets but still kept them away from you,” your Taemin said in one of the saddest tone I have ever heard from him. It made me want to sit up now and hug him in my arms and tell him that everything was going to be okay.

“But you know, they are all for your own good.” This time, the words came out stronger and more determined. “Even the packing and moving away to India tomorrow is all in the name of protecting you.”

There was another three seconds silence and then, my ears caught the sound of his feet moving away from me towards the door. He stopped down and I caught the almost inaudible words of “Goodnight, Key. It’s going to be a long day, tomorrow.” before the door was shut and a total silence enveloped me.

I waited, counting up to three minutes, to make sure that he really wasn’t going to come back. When the time was up, I opened my eyes and skyrocketed into a sitting position. My heart raced ahead of me. What did he say? India? We’re going to move to India? It was for my own good? What the hell? Now, I’m mad. I’m very mad. He was trying to control my life again. He was doing the “you have to understand that it’s all for your benefit” crap again. But this time I wasn’t just going to stand here and take it all in. This time, I’m going to fight for what I think is right.

I got out of bed and before I can second guess my decision, I went over to my closet and pulled out as many clothes as I can fit into my luggage.

 

 

Jonghyun’s POV

 

How long was I planning to evade the truth that has been thrown so bluntly at my face? How long am I going to deny the facts that had been laid out so clearly in front of me? Minho has shown his true colours. Minho has told his first lie. Minho cannot be trusted like I have been thinking all these time. It’s time I wake up and eat it all up. It’s time I stop seeing the pureness I have always hoped would surface in Minho one day.

All I’m asking for is a happy Minho.

I remember the first time I have met him. I was nine years old while Minho was eight. It had been a normal boring day beginning with the usual breakfast of bacons and eggs followed by going to school with dad and then coming home to tuition in my room, a quick dinner (of a different variety of choices ranging from Asian to Western food) closely tailed by music lessons differing from Monday to Sunday (Monday- vocal, Tuesday-Guitar, Wednesday- Piano and so on) and before I could even blink my eye, the day had gone and I was already in bed preparing to sleep because my curfew hour was up.

My life as a kid went by like that for as long as I could remember until one day, I had decided I would put a stop to this nonsense. I decided that I wasn’t going to do as my parents say anymore. I was going to do what I wish to do because even if I followed their every order for me, they never once look at me for a second longer before turning back to their documents again. So that day, when the driver dropped me off at school and dad gave me the usual nod and “Be good” without even looking at me, I had already decided in my head that I was going to try skipping school for once and disappear. It was a childish thought but well, all a kid could ask for is a little attention from their parents. It’s just that my idea was a more stupid and ridiculous one.

When the sleek black Mercedes had disappeared from view, I looked around me to see no one was paying attention to me before sprinting down the pedestrian road away from school. You cannot begin to imagine the feeling in me while I was running. Even to this very day, I cannot quite describe them myself. All I can say was that it was a mixture of exhilaration, achievement, fear, panic, regret, freedom and stupidity. I must have looked lost running around with my school bag bouncing on my back but I ignore all the stares I was getting and just continue running. I ran until my legs couldn’t take a step further. When I had finally exhausted my energy, I crouched by the side of the road to catch my breath and took the time to look around me. That was when the panic in me rose and overshadowed all the other feelings. I had no idea where I was but one thing is for sure, I had run to the bad part of town and sure enough a dirty looking guy with terrible looking clothes stumbled up to me, his grin was missing two front teeth.

“Hello, little boy. Did you lose your mummy?” he asked with a very sinister smile.

“Um…” I didn’t know what to say. I was only nine and I was scared. “Could you tell me the way to the SM elementary school?”

“Why, of course,” he said greasily. “I know the way on the back of my hand.” He started coming closer to me with his hand outstretched as if to grab hold of my wrist.

I backed away in fear and disgust combined into one. I could tell (being the small kid I was) that his intention wasn’t good but (being the small kid I was) I had no experience in encountering this type of situation. All I had wanted was for my dad to notice I had gone missing and maybe show some care for me but now, I most probably will never see his nod and hear his “Be good” ever again.

“Leave him alone.”

We both startled and turned towards the voice. I was shocked to see a boy who can’t be any older that I was but he was definitely taller, though. What shocked me most was the look in his eyes. There was no hint of warmth or light or innocence in the depths of them. His eyes only showed disapproval and strong confidence. It was a look that has seen too much.

The dirty man chuckled. “What are you going to do about it if I don’t?”

“You’ll regret it,” the boy said passively, like it was an everyday conversation. Then, his eyes cut to me and his stare meant for me to run and get out of the place but I couldn’t. I was too afraid that my limbs have locked into place. I could only manage a brief shake of my head back at him. He rolled his eyes in response.

“In three seconds,” he said out loud.

“What are you trying to do? Warning me?” the dirty man asked with a laugh but he ignored him.

“Three. Two. One!” he shouted the last count and threw something (so fast it was blur) to the man who doubled over clutching his crotch. Then, he ran to me (who was still rooted to the spot), yanked my hand and pulled me into a run with him out of the place. Before I knew it, I was back in front of the SM elementary school I had always dreaded.

He let go of my hand. “Next time, don’t be too smart and try a different way with your parents,” he said with disapproval layered into his voice and started walking away.

My jaw dropped. “How did you know that?” I demanded.

“You’re an open book,” he said, still walking away.

“Wait! I didn’t even get your name yet!” I shouted desperately after him. The truth is I thought I could be friends with him because he was the first person I have talked to. He was the first person to have done something for me without asking for something in return and I don’t have friends in school. Nobody talks to me because they were all afraid of my parents. Even the teachers try to give me the best without being in contact with me longer than was necessary.

He stopped for just one second and turned his head slightly without turning his upper body to glance at me. “Minho. Choi Minho. And don’t bother telling me yours because I’m not interested and this will probably be the first and last time you’re going to see me.”

Just like that, my hope of ever getting a friend was crushed to pieces. Not to mention the explaining I had to do to the school’s principal. Worst of all, my parents were called in and I was scolded so much on how I had made them lose the deal that had cost them a tens of millions but nothing about how I should not have ran away and how worried they were when they found out. When they had done venting out their anger on me, mum finally said, “Explain yourself.” And so with a bowed head, I told them about how I wanted their attention so I ran away and how I met the bad guy and then, about Minho who had saved me. Dad frowned a lot while I was talking and he only asked one question when I had done. “What’s the boy’s name again?”

I thought he would give me a hug or a comforting word at the very least saying that I should never have done it and that I should have known they love me but no such luck. I should have known that miracle is impossible in this house. But to my surprise, a miracle did happen the very next day after I came home from school because when I ran up to my room for my tuition lesson, I found a boy sitting on my study table reading a book so thick and old that it made me wonder what it was doing in my room.

“M-Minho? Choi Minho?” I stuttered.

He did not look up from the book. “Kim Jonghyun,” he said my name.

“You know who I am?” I asked bewilderedly.

He only glanced up briefly before returning to the book again. “It’s the only reason why I’m here.”

“But how did you get here in the first place?” I pressed on.

“Your dad.” it was a monotonous answer.

“My dad?”

“Yes.”

“How did he find you?”

“The place I found you.”

“The place you found me?”

He glanced irritably at me. “Stop repeating after me. You’re giving me a headache.”

Man, he’s moody, I thought. “Why are you here anyway?”                                              

“Your dad,” he repeated with an exasperated sigh.

“I mean the purpose.”

“There’s no purpose.”

“Ooh. Are you here to be friends with me then?” I was smiling like an idiot as I went up to him and stared at his reading face with wide excited eyes. I honestly look like an idiot on a trip to the museum. I was aware of that but I couldn’t help it. He was the first person of my peer that I have talked to for so long and he was just so interesting. I have not met a peer with a personality like his. None of them could match the maturity he displayed. Not even a group of my classmates combined can match his maturity.   

He shuddered before saying, “Sadly and reluctantly, yes. I am here to stay as your friend.”

I frowned. “But don’t you have to go home?”

His face was unreadable when he said, “I don’t have a home.”

That was how Minho became a part of the Kim family. It was the only nice thing my father had done for me but I was glad he had chosen this deed. I was glad he took the trouble to find Minho to be my friend although I knew that it only takes him a simple order to get his men to the job. Minho was indifferent at first. He was cold and silent but extraordinarily intelligent and mature. He knows exactly what to say and what not to say at all the right moments and he could always tell what I wanted to say and do before I did them. He found me annoying and childish but I found him to be the brother I had dream of having. But as time goes by, he started warming up to me. He doesn’t glare whenever I call him anymore and he would talk to me even when I had run out of things to tell him. I could tell that he was very thankful to our family for accepting him and giving him a proper place to stay as well as sponsoring his education.

However, it was the expression and his reserved heart that I can never change. Up to this very day, I (who can very well be his brother) or anyone else for that matter does not know his past. I don’t even know how my dad made him come and stay with us. Everything about Minho is a mystery and it will always be until he decides to recount them himself.

The lights in my room automatically turned itself on when it has become too dark to even reflect a shadow. I heaved a sigh as I looked out towards the city in the night. It was a beautiful sight of flickering lights on skyscrapers. I sighed again as I closed my eyes to sleep so I can forget about everything that has happened in the short hour of school today. Suddenly, my door bell rang and I immediately got up from bed. Could it be Minho again? Should I shoo him away? Or pretend I’m not in? But he already knows how to break into my house! What’s the point in ignoring him? I sighed again as I dragged myself out of bed and walked zombie-like to the foyer. Will anyone listen when I say I can’t face anymore truth from Minho or anyone else at all?

I went to look through the spy hole just to make sure that it really was Minho but when I saw the person out there, my eyes widened and I turned around to lean against the door for support. How did she get up here? Who gave her the access key to the elevator? What should I do now? Should I let her in? But what will Kibum think of me if he really is alive and he comes home to find a girl in my house?

The said girl rang the bell again and I turned around to peek through the spy hole. She was looking very uncomfortable as she kept glancing around her like she was expecting a stalker. My heart clenched at the sight of her being so scared and unsure. Maybe I should just let her in and ask the reason why she was here. She looked like she could use my help.

I took a deep breath (why am I so nervous?) as I took a step back and said “Open” to the door which emitted a soft humming sound as the security system processed my voice and a second later, the door clicked open to reveal a fragile looking Key standing in front of me.

I waited for her to say something like “Hi” or “I forgive you about the kiss” or “I like you” or anything at all but she only fidgeted with her feet and continuously rolled her luggage back and forth on the floor.

I sighed. It looks like I have to open the conversation, first.

“It’s kinda late, Key. What are you doing here?” I asked but then, I thought I sounded somewhat rude so I added a smirk and said, “What? You miss me already? I bet you couldn’t stop thinking about the kiss.”

Okay. That wasn’t what I had wanted to say, initially. It just somehow slipped my tongue. I swear I was going to say something nice. Especially after she had been concerned about my suicide and had came personally to check on me while all I did to repay her was forcefully kissed her out of nowhere.

She glared at me like she was ready to throw a punch in my face. “I wouldn’t have come if I had a choice,” she spat out fiercely.

I raised my eyebrow. “Oh? Really, now?”

“Yes,” she said through gritted teeth.

“Then why are you here instead of…I don’t know…anywhere else?” I asked with a shrug.

She started fidgeting again. “I don’t have anywhere else to go. I don’t know anyone else,” she said with a sad dejected tone and I felt like hitting my head on the wall for being so tactless at a time like this.

 I scratched my head, the guilt quickly filling up the empty spaces in my chest. What am I supposed to say now?

“Er…oh, just get in here!” I suddenly snapped when I couldn’t come up with something nice to say to her and pulled her in by her wrist before slamming the door shut. Hey, you can’t blame me, can you? I have never once been nice to her so you can’t just expect me to act nice all of a sudden right? It will definitely make this situation more awkward than it already is.

She stumbled into the bright lights of my foyer and straightened up silently. It surprised me that she did nothing to snap at me about how I was treating her. She must really have had a bad day and a very good reason to be here.

“So why are you here again?” I asked.

She resumed the fidgeting. Her back was turned from me so I couldn’t see what her expression look like but it helps with not feeling like I should be nice to her.

I waited for another minute but she still wasn’t saying anything. Annoyed, I walked past her, ready to go into my room if she wasn’t planning to start somewhere with explaining why she was here but I stopped a few feet in front of her. I couldn’t do it, after all. I couldn’t just leave her looking like this and not do something to ease her worries. I can’t just walk away when my heart feels like dying watching this side of her.

“I’m sorry,” I said so fast I blended the two words into one.

One second of silence and then, “What?” she blurted.

I turned around to face her and I saw the stunned look of disbelief on her face and something close to amusement.

“Forget it!” I screamed at her. “I’m not repeating what I said.” I was aware that my cheeks were flushed.

She blinked at me, her lips stretching more and more each time until the smile turned into an all out laughter. “You said sorry, didn’t you?” she said when she took the time to breathe in between each laugh.

I gave no response as I folded my arms in disapproval and tapped my foot on the marbled floor impatiently. What was I thinking about this girl being weak? To think that she even needed my help was absurd. I shook my head. Man, I’m impossible.

She finally stopped laughing a minute later (thank god) and wiped the tears from her eyes. “it's not your fault so you don't have to be sorry but I didn’t know you can be cute, Kim Jonghyun.” she smiled.

My heart lightened considerably when she said I hadn't done anything wrong because I felt like I was making mistakes the whole time I was talking to her.

“What are you saying? I’m the epitome of cute!” I snorted.

She rolled her eyes. “A small praise could raise your ego this much? You’re unbelievable.”

 I waved her remark off with a lazy flick of my hand. “Yeah, yeah. Now tell me why you’re here.”

She took a deep breath and turned away from looking at me. “I need a place to stay.”

A heartbeat of a pause. Then, it was my turn to blurt, “What?”

She didn’t answer me at first and just like that, out of nowhere, her lips started quivering and she had to bite her lower lip to stop the trembles. And I had to look away really quick before the urge to kiss her intensify even more. God knows what I will do, then. Then, all of a sudden, she started crying (like really bawled her eyes out) making me all flustered and awkward.

“Hell, what the heck are you doing?” I demanded with my hands waving frantically over my head. “What did I do?”

She sniffed and wiped her sleeve over her runny nose. “Y-you didn’t d-do any-anything.”

“Then, why are you crying?!” I asked, my hands are now dragging down my face in frustration.

“I don’t k-know,” she shook her head desperately. “I have never c-cried this much before. I’ve ne-never cried in f-front of an au-audience before. I ho-honestly don’t k-know why.” Then, she started wailing louder.

Oh, god, I thought. How am I supposed to deal with a crying girl? I have never ever been in a relationship with a girl. I hardly have any girls as friends. Hell, I chased them all away because I knew all of them will be like how Key is acting now. I hate dealing with whiny clingy girls. But Key isn’t being whiny or clingy, is she? This is really the first time I have seen a weak side of her. Anyway, the one person I ever love and will continue to love is only Kibum and he never cries. Never. Well, maybe for that one time when he was breaking up with me. Oh, crap. Thinking about it was tearing at my heart again so I focused back to the crying girl in front of me. Then, I realised that she was tearing at my heart too. Great. Just great. Can this day get any better? I grumbled. What do they always do in the B-rated romance flicks again? I can’t believe that wasting so much of time in front of the television with Onew watching all those gooey dramas like Sungkyunkwan Scandal, City Hunter, Princess Hour and Boys over Flowers actually has its benefits. Now, let’s see. What did Ji Hoo always do when that Jan Di girl cries (she is always crying, by the way). I gave an exasperated sigh as I unravelled my folded arms and before I could change my mind, I pulled her into them and tucked her head under my chin as I patted her back.

“Shh. Stop crying, now. Everything is going to be okay. I’m here to protect you,” I cooed to her and I could feel her relaxing considerably under my touch.

“Re-really?” she sniffed and wiped her nose on my shirt.

I gritted my teeth and suppressed a shudder. I thought doing this was somehow going to give me the comfort of being the good guy but I only felt awkward and she wiped her mucus on my shirt! This shirt is so going into the bin when she’s done crying and I am going to need a hot soothing bubble bath later. Calm down, Jonghyun. Delicate. Be delicate. These girls are breakable. I have to treat her like breaking china with the fragile word stamped on her forehead.

“Yes, really. I’ll always be here for you,” I said softly. “I’m your boyfriend, remember?” I added with a light chuckle to ease some of the awkwardness in the atmosphere.

I guess my trick didn’t work because shesuddenly stiffened in my arms and pulled back to look up at me with teary searching eyes. Then, she asked a question that had my heart stopping in its track, “Do you really love me?”

 

 

 

author's note

i'm sorry for the late update!

but i kinda make up for it by writing this LONG chapter   ^^

hopefully, it isn't boring though! 

and we're so close to revealing everything! hehe~

Tell me what you think in the COMMENTS!

 

anyway, could you do me a favour by answering a few questions?

1. Do you not like the suspense in almost every chapter's ending? (tell me honestly and I'll try to extend as much as I can without the suspense)

2. Do you think the Jongkey relationship has been dragging on for too long? 

3. Are the twists / dramas exhausting and frustrating? In a good way or bad way?

4. How is the story so far? Is it going downhill?

5. Whose POV do you like best? wHY? Should I add more POV of Onew and Taemin?

6. Please rate this fic out of /10. Why? 

 

I'm sorry if you find this troublesome but I'm really curious and this will most definitely help me improve with the following chapters. 

Thank you so much for your time.

btw, I chose India because I'm in India right now! LOL