The Unexpected

Remember The Forgotten...

 

Taemin’s POV

 

I zipped up the oversized luggage and put it to the corner of my room with the other one. Then, I got my phone out to call Yoochun, my personal assistant.

“Is everything ready?” I asked the moment he picked up.

“Yes, sir. I have the flight tickets with me. I will be there to pick both Kibum and you in five hours time.”

I muttered a quick thank you and looked at the time flashing on my phone’s screen. It was ten past eight in the morning. I will just let Kibum hyung to have a couple more hours of sleep so he wouldn’t be s grouchy when I explain the necessity of us flying to India on such a short notice. I sighed as I went over to the windowsill and stared out into the mini garden below. If only I could turn back time, Kibum hyung will never have to suffer so much. He will never have met Jonghyun and the two of us will remain the best of friends with nothing to worry about except for each other. If only I was granted the power to change the future, I would ensure that the two of them would never meet and consequently cause him so much pain.

I could still recall how everything that was perfect fell apart…

I was thirteen years old when we met. Key hyung was a year older than me.  I was at the back of the school building being beaten up for having a pretty face and for forcing the girls to squeal over me every time I walked past them. I didn’t even lift a hand or even say anything, for that matter, to defend myself. I just let them leave hidden bruises all over my body without putting up a fight. Why, you ask? Well, the reason is simple. I have just moved in to this school and every school I have moved out of was based on the same reason and the same kind of bullies. So it was natural to me. A norm. I get beaten here. I get beaten there. It was all the same no matter where I ran to.

That was what I thought until Kibum hyung came to my rescue.

I was slipping out of consciousness when I heard a shout of fury and it was all that took to get them scurrying off in different directions. At first, I thought it was just another bigger bully coming to show me what real pain felt like so I just lay curled up and helpless on the ground awaiting the second wave when all of a sudden, a hand came to push back the sweaty hair covering my face. Two very worried feline looking eyes squinted down at me with so much concern I wished my mother had half of his.

“Are you okay? Does it hurt?” his voice was so soft; it felt like he was caressing me with his words and just like that, without me knowing it, a fat tear had leaked from my eye.

“Oh my god! Did it hurt that bad? Damn, I’m gonna kill them all!” he yelled as he stood up with so much force, I thought he could push a mountain with his bare hands but before he could take a step away, I held on to his wrist. It was on impulse. I didn't know i had stopped him if I didn't feel his thin wrist in my hand.

“Please…stay with me,” I begged him. I begged him to just give me that one hope that after transferring out of so many schools, I have found a reason to settle down in one rather than to move out again. I was desperate for a friend, a sign of acknowledgement not for my face or how I looked but for me as who I am the way I am.

His face softened at the tone of my voice and he knelt down to help me sit up, leaning me against the wall while he remained squatted in front of me.

“So…my name’s Kibum but you can call me Key and I already know who you are. I can spot you from a mile away just based on your looks but don’t worry too much about it because I’m a lot prettier than you,” he winked as he stretched a hand out to me.

I stared, dumbstruck at it. Who is this guy? How can his words overflow with confidence so easily? Why is he even introducing himself to me? Doesn’t he know that all the guys will come after him for this just like all the previous friends that I have had?

“Hey, you’re supposed to shake my hand, you know!” he sounded annoyed as he grabbed my hand and placed it in his. Then, he shuddered and pulled a grimace. “Seriously! Are you sure your mum wanted a guy? Or were your parents actually wishing for a girl but got you, instead? No offence but even your hand feels like a girl’s one. But as I said, mine’s prettier, anyway so don’t worry.”

At that moment, I just had to laugh and I did. I laughed and laughed and laughed with tears streaming down my face thinking that heaven has finally answered my prayers. They finally relented on my punishments. They finally granted my one wish to have a friend who knows my pain and understands them.

Ever since then, we were two limbs of a body that can never be separated by anything. I stuck myself to him like glue and went wherever he went. I wouldn’t enter a class if he didn’t promise to come pick me up later for lunch or after school to walk home together. To you, I may sound paranoid and retarded but to me, his small promise made all the difference in my world of past solitude. Then, there is also the very obvious observation that no one cornered me anymore. They hardly dare to meet my eyes when we crossed paths and I knew from the beginning that I was left alone because of who I was hanging out with. I was curious, though, of how a normal looking boy with no hint of muscle strength anywhere (he’s very much better without them but it’s a fact, all the same) could scare all the football jocks and tall basketball players away and it wasn’t until later that I found out Kibum hyung used to be bullied for his looks too until one day, he just couldn’t take it anymore and secretly took up taekwondo lessons so that when the time comes, when he knows he was ready, he would fight back until he remains the last one standing when it was over. No one dared cross him ever since that day.

When he thought that I was ready and on the road to recovery, he started bringing his friends over to introduce them to me. At first, it was just an acknowledgement that we know one another and we would exchange a simple greeting when we meet in the hallways. Then, by the end of the month, he proceeded to initiate a basic conversation and he made an effort to include me as much as possible and by the time six months have passed, I was well-known as the school’s ultimate maknae. In short, Kibum hyung was my hero, my saviour, my first friend but above all else, he is a person I respect and look up to with all my heart so even though I was developing a silent crush towards him, I dared not voice it out because I felt like I would be painting his pure image. I would be tainting the beautiful smiles on his face and I was so afraid that he wouldn’t want me anymore. It was fear like I have never known before so I figured that as long as we will remain together forever, it would be more than enough to me. It was all I need to get through my life.

Until that one faithful day when Jonghyun stepped into our lives by enrolling himself into our beloved school…

 

 

 

Jonghyun’s POV

 

Okay. I couldn’t have heard the question correctly. There was no way she would ask me THAT of all questions. I am almost a hundred percent sure I hadn’t heard what she said correctly. Almost.

My awkward laughter filled the ringing silence around us. “You’re kidding, right? You were just teasing me, aren’t you? This is your way of getting back at me?” I asked, still continuing my laughing charade.

“I’m not playing a game here, Jonghyun. I’m being serious. You kissed me, didn’t you?” she stared unblinkingly into my eyes. There was not a hint of smile on her thin line of lips but damn, they still looked kissable.  

I stopped laughing. Pull yourself together, I screamed in my head. “This isn’t funny, Key. You do know that what we had- if you can call it that- it was just a game. I was just playing with you because you’re so fun to play with. Your reactions to me are just too hilarious and amusing. That’s all, Key. I’m sorry if I gave you false hope. You and I…we’re just friends, best friends if you want because you are kind of the only girl I ever speak to so far,” I said my line without a break; my heart was going so fast while I waited for Key to say something. I waited for the hurt to appear on her face and I waited for the predictable slap that will usually follow after the short stunned silence. I knew my words sounded very cutting but I needed her to see that we were impossible. Besides, I already have my Kibum.

There was a long muted silence while the two of us assessed one another.

Then, out of nowhere, Key shrugged. “Good. Now, I can stay here peacefully without worrying about you assaulting me again,” she said simply and walked past me towards my room.

My jaw went slack.

“What?!” I rounded on her. 

Key stopped for a second and I thought she was gonna explain what she meant by her last action but then, she turned around, walked back towards me with an expressionless face and without so much as a warning, aimed a kick at my knee. “That’s for taking me as your amusement,” she said and before I could even bend down to rub at the aching spot, a slap has landed on my face. “That’s for the kiss. Again,” she grinned. “Okay. You’re now officially cleared off all charges. You may now speak to me and I, in turn, will respond to you,” Key winked at me, picked up her luggage and practically skipped away to my room leaving me standing rooted to the spot with my still open jaw.

What. The. Hell.

I heard my room door slam shut half a minute later and that seemed to wake me out of my trance.

“Key!” I bellowed as I stormed into my room after her.

I looked around wildly for the crazy woman only to find her settling herself down and pulling the thick cosy duvet up to her shoulder as she snuggled into my bed, her eyes already closed the moment her head touched the pillow.

Okay, seriously. What the hell!

I went to her and yanked the duvet off, earning a glare from her. “You! Who said you could use my bed? And you’re a girl, for god’s sake! How can you just randomly climb into a guy’s bed? Aren’t you worried about what I might do to you?” I demanded disbelievingly. “And come to think about it, I didn’t even say you could stay here!”

She sat up. “What? You’re not gonna let me stay, then? You’re gonna kick me out to the cold pavement and make me sleep there on the cold hard floor freezing to death? Is that what you want? Is that how cruel and heartless you are?” her voice magnified with each question she threw at me and I felt them pierce one after the other through my chest.

“I- I- I didn’t mean that. I was just- I-,” I stuttered and I can’t help it. I really can’t. I don’t know how to defend myself against her onslaught attacks. Where was that Girls 101 book, anyway? Wait, forget about the book. Where's Minho when you need him?

“You what? You can’t say the words Get out? Is that it? You want me to get the hint and leave so you don’t look like the bad guy here?”

I cringed. God, I need to disappear into the wall. I need a huge soundproof earmuff. Now, I know what it felt like in a marriage when the husband had done something wrong and the wife was there screaming and screeching while the poor man tried hard to stuff his fingers into his ears to block out the noise. I felt like I was in the exact same situation but the only difference is that we aren’t married. Can I admit defeat, then? Is that enough to make her stop? I’ll even throw in my white Calvin Klein underwear if that is what it takes to hand in my surrender.

Key suddenly threw the duvet away and got out of my bed. She grabbed her luggage which was just beside the bed and headed towards the door.

For reasons unknown, I panicked and reflexively shot out my arm to catch hold of her wrist. “Where are you going?”

Her eyes sliced into mine. “It’s obvious that I’m unwelcome here so I might as well leave and try Minho’s before he goes to sleep.”

My chest tightened. She is going to Minho? Why does hearing her say that initiate the boiling feeling in the pits of my stomach? I take back my thoughts on having Minho here to help solve this for me.

I took a deep breath to centre myself and the picture of her scared face when she was standing outside earlier came into my mind and already, I felt mean and bad. I shouldn’t have gone crazy on her. It was only natural for her to act that way, right? Hell, how am I supposed to know how a girl usually acts? I don’t even know how to handle one since I have never hung out with any before Key.

“I didn’t mean that. I’m sorry. This is really the first time I have had a girl- actually, you’re the only girl to have ever step foot into my place let alone my room- so I honestly don’t know how to react," I tried explaining myself and don’t ask me why I found the need to say that she was the only girl to have seen my place.

I waited for her to get the hint but she obviously didn't as she only stared at me expecting more out of my dry mouth so I sighed before continuing, "In plain simple English, you can stay here and you can have the bed. I’ll just sleep on the couch. And besides, Minho is already asleep by now. He goes to bed really early.”  

Don't ask me why I had to lie about Minho too. I just felt like it was necessary.

Key looked sceptically up at me for two seconds before shrugging, letting go of her luggage and stared down at her arm. “Aren’t you gonna let go?”

“Oh, right. Sorry,” I quickly released her wrist and wiped my hands consciously on my .

She said nothing as she climbed back into bed and pulled the duvet over her again. ‘Goodnight.”

“Goodnight,” I sighed, shaking my head as I made my way to the couch. Could she be on her monthly thing? Is that why her mood changes so drastically in just that short span of five minutes? I mean, when she was out there, she had been scared and insecure. When I opened the door, she had flung herself into my arms and cried. Then, she kicked and slapped me before proceeding to conquer my bed and room as well as shouting down at me like I had been a big meanie to her.

I heaved another sigh as I curled myself up into the most comfortable position I can find and closed my eyes, muttering the word "Off" to dim the lights. Can you imagine me, the Kim Jonghyun, being kicked out of his bed and into the miserable couch? Well, I can't.

“Jonghyun?”

“What?”

Three seconds pause and then, “Thank you.”

My face heated up. I wanted to say you’re welcome but somehow, the words mashed together into a grunt, instead.

"I really mean it, you know. Thanks for letting me stay."

I said nothing because I don't trust myself to speak now or it'll just end up all gibberish.

“And, Jonghyun?”

“Yeah?”

“If I see you anywhere near me when I wake up the next morning, I’m going to punch you.”

 

 

 

 

Author's Note!

yay! i did it!

i ended a chapter without any suspense!

so? did you like it? ^^

did i do well? lol~

i can't reveal everything in Taemin's POV yet or it'll extend into 6000 or more words and it'll just put all of you to sleep   :P

and now that they're under one roof, what's gonna happen? hehe

 

thanks again for answering the questionaire!