The Slip

Remember The Forgotten...

 

Minho’s POV

I was just an innocent guy going in for a casual day of work when all of a sudden; someone appeared in front of me out of thin air. Se Kyung’s nostrils were comparable to an angry bull’s as she looked at me with all the hope in the world. I sighed. It was so obviously written in bold across her face that I didn’t even have the mood to play Q & A with her to find out what’s in her head. All I need to know is how she could pick up her courage to display her feelings this clearly to me.

“Se Kyung.” I nodded, acting natural like I don’t know what she wants.

“Hi, Minho!” she greeted me with too much enthusiasm and followed beside me as I made my way to the changing room.

I stopped in front of the door. She stopped too.

I tried hard not to roll my eyes. “Se Kyung, is there something you want to say?”

She tilted her head at me. “Key said you have something to tell me.”

“Key?” I asked before looking around the place for him. He wasn’t anywhere to be seen and the reason for his absence immediately presented itself to my mind. I should have known.

“She’s not here. Did she go to see Jonghyun?”

The girl nodded. “She told me she’s taking the day off because Jonghyun’s sick.”

I laughed in amazement to myself. So that’s why she needed to use me for her escape. You’re so dead when I see you the next time, I thought. But since he has provided me with the opportunity to get this matter settled once and for all, I wouldn’t hesitate any longer.

“Well, I did have something to say.”

Se Kyung’s eyes grew even rounder as she refrained herself from jumping up to the roof. “Yes?” she asked breathlessly.

“I already have someone I like and you can’t begin to imagine what I’ve been through just for her. So I’m sorry but I can never return your feelings.”

With that said, I went into the changing room. I didn’t need to stick around to know what her expression was going to look like and when I had emerged from the changing room, she was already gone. I have a feeling that I might not be seeing her from now on but I guess it doesn’t hurt me either way whether she’s here or not. It just means that I have added double the amount of work onto my tray. A piece of cake compared to having a 24/7 drooling admirer.

 

 

The minute I got off my bike in school, the two people I saw were Jonghyun and Taemin standing face to face with each other. I tell you, there can be no worse combination on earth. I took in the expressions Jonghyun was making with his face as he was talking to Taemin. It was all confusion and surprise.

“This can’t be good,” I said to myself as I made my way towards them.

I was halfway there (with a good distraction plan in mind) when Onew jumped out of nowhere and beat me to it. He was behaving like a maniac as he literally ran towards them, screaming his head off and pulled the bewildered Taemin away with him. Jonghyun blinked once at the spot Taemin was just standing in before he disappeared. It took him a second longer to digest the fact that Onew had kidnapped the boy and then, he turned to yell after them.

“Jonghyun!” I distracted him towards me, pretending like I hadn’t seen Onew dragging Taemin away with him.

“Oh, Minho. You’re just in time. There’s this girly looking boy earlier. He was asking for you and he claimed to know who I-.”

“Hyung, I’m having a headache right now. Se Kyung fled from her job. Key didn’t turn up at all. How do you think I’m feeling after covering three people’s role yesterday? Do you think I still have mood to listen to you in the morning?" I had to say something that I know will bring his attention away from the confusion that Taemin had caused him. I can’t allow even a small spark to bring his old memories back to life. He will not revert to his old state as long as I’m alive because for all of our sakes, he is much better the way he is now.

"Ouch!" he feigned a hurt expression.

"And you sure don’t look sick to me." 

Jonghyun tilted his head. “I’m not.”

“You’re not? Then, why did Key take the day off just to go see you?” I scrunched my forehead like I really didn’t know that he wasn't sick and that Key had other reasons to see him.

He smiled so widely I thought his facial muscles would tear. “She took the day off specifically for me? Really?”

I rolled my eyes. “You have obviously seen her. Tell me everything.”

Jonghyun’s smile faltered and big round blush latched itself onto his cheeks. “Er…nothing? She just wanted to check if I was still alive. She didn’t believe it when we lied to her saying it was a prank.”

I glared into his eyes. He was telling me the truth. I could tell. But he was keeping the rest of the truth from me. And judging by the red tinge on his face and neck now, something I don’t like must have happened.

“That’s all? Nothing else happened?”

“Of course not! What else could happen? We’re not really seeing each other, are we? It was just an act. Hell, I was the one who pulled her into this. So she hates me, doesn’t she?” he said too fast and added a late sigh at the end. “She hates me…”

Something bad did happen yesterday. He must have made her angry by the looks of it. Just when I thought things were going according to plan, he had to mess it all up and dump another problem for me to take care off.

“She has always hated you. I thought you knew that.” Jonghyun flinched at my words. “Anyway, I’ll see you in class. I still have things to deal with before school starts.”

I didn’t give him any room to say anything else as I headed in the direction Onew had disappeared with Taemin while my head come up with all the possible places which could allow them to share a private conversation. It definitely has to be a quiet, distant place without risking any chance of people overhearing them. Come on, Minho. Think fast.

Suddenly, my legs came to a halt. I did not just see him. It cannot have been him. It was just an illusion. He doesn’t have a reason to be here, does he? Unless he found out that Taemin-.

“Oh, !” I said under my breath as I quickly side-stepped into hiding behind the end of the row of lockers. He had walked into the corridor I was in.

Just when I had Onew’s location figured out, another troublemaker had to hit me in my face. Now, what do I do with him? Do I risk my knowledge of his true identity or do I let him walk around until someone recognizes him? What if Jonghyun saw him?

Looks like this situation doesn’t offer me any choice.

The moment he was level with where I was, I stretched out, pulling him by his arm and together, we disappeared into the washroom.

“Why are you here?” I demanded the moment the door had slammed shut.

“Minho, you scared me!” he clutched at his heart.

“Kibum, why the hell are you here?” I repeated impatiently.

“Oh, I found out that Taemin came here so I was just-,” he started explaining and then, paused when realisation dawned on him. “Wait a second. What did you call me?”

Should I say it? Or should I minimise the damage? No. It won't work on him. He's too confident with himself to know exactly what he had heard.

“Kibum,” I said calmly.

His mouth gaped open in horror as he slowly directed his eyes downward to look at himself. “Oh my god! I’m so stupid! I totally forgot about it! What do I do know now? Oh my god! You’ve seen me! You’ve-” he stopped again, clapping a hand to his mouth.

“You know my real name…” he said dreamily. “You called me Kibum.”

"Yes, I did."

"But- but that must mean you knew me before I started working in the cafe. You must have known me before I lost my memory," he said slowly like he didn;t quite understand what he was saying too. "I'm right, aren't I?"

Here we go, I thought with a sigh. 

 

 

 

author's note

a very short dramatic update!

sorry for the y chapter...TT 

didn't have much time this week ;__;

bash me in the comment if you must...

 

so what do you think Minho will be telling Key?