The Memories

Remember The Forgotten...

I sat staring out of the window at the bright sky, sighing in annoyance that the cheery weather was taunting my bad mood. The birds chirping as they flew by and the clouds rolling lazily past the sky were all unnecessary reminder to the permanent wound in my heart. It pains me more that I have to remember this time of the year to be Key's favourite season. He used to love dragging me out to the park to enjoy the view of the blooming flowers all around us. He would be such a child skipping around the park and pulling me along when I lagged behind him.

 

As I thought of that, I was suddenly at the park with him again…

 

"Jonghyun! This way! This way!" he called out to me, his tinkling laughter filling the air around me.

 

"I'm coming," I called back but made no move to hurry my footsteps although I wanted so much to rush to him and claim his beautiful smile with a kiss. I walked leisurely so that he will come to me with his cute aegyo and tell me to hurry up as he clung onto my arms making us look like a very lovable couple. There is nothing I love more than him clinging onto me so I let him skip further ahead of me but I always made sure that he would be in my line of vision.

 

I watched as the love of my life skipped a few more steps before turning around to look for me. His feline eyes darting left and right in search of me and I bit back a laugh as I stood pretending to be a stranger waiting for someone. His face turned from being blissfully happy to confusion to frantic and then fearful when he could not find me. Those expressions tugged at my heart and made me feel suddenly very guilty for playing him.

 

"Key, I'm right here!" I called out to him as I ran.

 

His arms were already folded tight when I reached him and the cutest of pouts sat on his irresistible lips. "Where were you? I thought I had lost you!" he tapped his foot against the ground.

 

"I was right behind you all along," I said, trying to act innocent.

 

"Then why couldn't I find you? Also, you wouldn't have to run up to me if you were really behind me all these time."

 

"Hey," I whispered softly, pushing his chin up so that his eyes would meet mine. "You should know that you could never lose me because I’ll never ever let you out of my sight."

 

Key's face softened at my words, a pink tinge warming his cheeks but he maintained the pout, knowing full well that it was one of his trademark expressions that I love most. "Whatever. You're so cheesy."

 

I lightly flicked his forehead. "Oh, really? Then, why are you still sticking to me like glue?" I grinned teasingly.

 

Key's cheeks turned even redder and his feline eyes turned into slits as he glared at me (the gesture was cute instead of being intimidating). "Why, you! Are you trying to say that I can't resist you?"

 

I looked towards the sky in a thoughtful manner. "Hmm...maybe?" I winked.

 

Key cutely puffed out air in his cheeks and with one last "Hmmph!" he stormed away from me.

 

"Hey!" I chased after him, feeling bad that i had gone too far with the teasing. "Hey! Key, I'm sorry!"

 

He stopped in his tracks but made no attempt to turn around and face me. He waited for me to catch up before saying, "Look who's sticking to whom, now?" He smirked.

 

I was thinking that I would have to do something to apologise and here he is counter-attacking me when I least expect it. Key will always be Key, I thought as I laughed aloud. "You're such a baby," I ruffled his hair knowing full well that it was the one thing he hated most above all else.

 

"Oh, no you didn't," he hissed.

 

"Ooops!" I shrugged and ran away before he could pounce on me, laughing my head off.

 

"Come back here, you evil person! I'll teach you to mess with my hair!" he shouted as he ran after me.

 

"Jonghyun!"

 

"JONGHYUN!"

 

"KIM JONGHYUN!"

 

I winced as I was reluctantly pulled out of my fairy tale dream and into the reality of the classroom with thirty pairs of eyes on me and Ms.Jung, my Maths teacher, glaring at me. She was already ugly to begin with and with her eyes the size of slits, she was hideous. She was one of the teachers who are both ugly and incapable of teaching but thinks very highly of herself. That was why there is not a single student who doesn't like her. So when she had stopped my wonderful memory before it had reached the best part, I felt furious but at the same time, relieved to not have finished reminiscing or the consequences would be unbearable later. God, why couldn't my life be a simple black and white? Why must it be filled with all these emotions of pain and regret and confusion? Why was I born in the first place? Irritated at myself and at the stupid teacher, I completely ignored all the audiences around me and placed my head by the left cheek on the table as if I was preparing to take a nap.

 

"Mr.Kim!" I heard my surname called out through gritted teeth. "If you are done daydreaming, I need you to sit up straight and solve this algebraic equation on the board for us."

 

"Not interested. Call on Minho so that I can sleep."

 

Minho gave me a lazy glance. "Hyung, shut up."

 

I shrugged and was just starting to close my eyes when the bell rang right on time to save me the same boring lecture by the same boring teacher on respect and responsibility as a student for god knows how many times. I heard the chairs scrape back against the floor as everyone started packing up their things to leave while I took my time waiting for the axe that would eventually fall on me. True enough, my name was called out again as I was leaving the class and the words "detention for the rest of the day" was said.

 

"I heard from Minho. Why can't you just not get on any teachers' nerves for a day?" Onew had arrived at my locker.

 

"Mind your own business," I said without looking at him. There was another love letter in my locker again. I took it out in disgust, holding it by the tips of fingers.

 

Onew sighed. "You know, it really isn't the end of the world just because Key left you."

 

The minute the words were out of his lips, I slammed my locker door shut - which shook in its hinges - and grabbed Onew by his collar glaring threateningly into his passive eyes. The entire corridor went from being a night market to pin drop silent.

 

"Say that again and you're dead."

 

Then, I dropped him, tearing the letter in my hands into shreds to divert my anger without even bothering to glance at the name and threw it into the nearest dustbin before slouching off to the detention room, fury boiling my blood.

 

How long has it been since he left me? How long has it been since I had a good laugh? How long has it been since Onew and I played XBox together? The truth is it doesn't matter how many months or years or decades because it would never be long enough for me to revive the hole in my heart and gain my old personality back. Somehow, when he left, he had taken me with him and ever since then, I have been this dead person that goes through his routine life not for the sake of himself but for the sake of those around him.

 

Key, please...wherever you are, come back to me so that I can find myself again.