Your is Not a Hat

My Mind's Eye
Please log in to read the full chapter

Monday March 28th 2022

 

Jessica decided to take Tiffany out on their first official date. It had been three days since she had confessed to the younger girl but they had yet to actually go out formally. Tiffany was pretty busy with the ballet company and to be honest Jessica was quite content just hanging out with the younger woman at their usual haunts or just chilling at her place. But she knew she owed Tiffany at least this.

 

She had picked the younger girl up after her practice. This was the first time she had ventured back to the theatre since Tiffany had tossed her out last, and Jessica knew Tiffany’s entire ballet company was piqued as to what her relationship was with their youngest dancer.

 

Tiffany herself had told her she hadn’t yet told everyone else that they were dating. But Jessica got the feeling it wasn’t because the younger woman was uncomfortable about dating a woman, more so it was that Tiffany was not really one to broadcast personal details. That aside, Jessica wanted to make their relationship a bit more blatant. For all the vagueness she had burdened Tiffany with in the past, she felt it important to solidify her intentions to the younger woman.

 

So she showed up that night at the theatre with a bouquet of pink, red, and white dahlias in one hand and a small intricately wrapped gift nestled safely in her camera bag. The stage staff already knew her by sight and let her in to watch and wait for rehearsal to finish from the side of the stage. She had made a point tonight of not wearing her ever present sunglasses. Tonight, she wanted Tiffany to be able to really see her for her.

 

As she approached the side of the stage, Jessica could pick out Tiffany’s breathing and movements in the fray and found herself zeroing in on the girl. She didn’t even notice the director studying her from his vantage point on the other side of the theatre.

 

Jessica had made sure to show up at least half hour before Tiffany’s practice was to end. She wanted to grab some more pictures if she could. But she found when she got there she was more content just to watch the younger girl rather than focus on capturing her through the camera lens. Before she knew it, practice was over and the dancers were making their way off stage in her direction.

 

Jessica could sense the looks she was getting as they passed her. It was more out of curiosity at this point as almost all of them knew something was going on between her and Tiffany. She could hear Tiffany approaching but before the younger girl could reach her someone else stood in her way, right in front of Jessica.

 

“So…you’re dating our Tiffany?” a delicate voice that Jessica immediately recognized as Aubrey’s queried. The question was a simple one, with no preamble or projected feelings per say, it was just really to state a fact more than question if anything. Jessica gathered perhaps either Tiffany had told some of them about her stupid behavior or more likely than not, the company had gathered as such given that she had clearly been an idiot the last time they saw her. It was more likely the latter as Jessica was pretty sure Tiffany was not loose-lipped with her personal life.

 

“Are you going to be an asshat about it?” another voice chimed in, this one Jessica knew as Diana. And that question was much more pointed, laced with protectiveness but forgoing the malice. Jessica could feel the other dancers crowding around her, they too wanted to hear her answer to both questions. She was surrounded at this point.

 

She could hear Tiffany pushing and shoving her colleagues to get to her, muttering and telling them to leave Jessica alone. But Jessica knew they were just looking out for Tiffany and didn’t want her to get hurt. She could respect that. And they deserved some sort of answer.

 

“Yes. I am seeing Tiffany. Yes. I have finally pulled my head out of my as I realized it’s not a hat and that Tiffany deserved more than I was giving her. Today is our first official date and I wanted to take her out to a nice dinner, maybe a short walk after, and then get her home before 11. I promise to have her best interests at heart and treat her as she is so-deserving. I’m not asking permission to date Tiffany, as we are both consenting adults, but I am aware that my previous behaviour has been disrespectful an

Please log in to read the full chapter