Beauty & the Beast

My Mind's Eye
Please log in to read the full chapter

Thursday March 17th 2022

 

 

Tiffany was on her way home from the theatre in her beige long-coat with her bag in hand when she spotted a slender figure limping across the street to her left. She could recognize that silhouette anywhere.

 

The girl watched with narrowed eyes as the unsuspecting figure limped across the darkened street and strode with purpose to a...

 

Pet shop…? What the…

 

The blonde had something…squirmy tucked under her arm…

 

What in the world…

 

The chilly wind was being tunneled between the veins of the city and a gusty gale blowing from Jessica’s direction down to hers brought some of the blonde’s mutterings to her ears. Sounded like Jessica was talking to the cat…

 

Tiffany hid a giggle behind her hand before she abruptly stopped herself.

 

She was not supposed to find Jessica Jung cute nor attractive nor interesting! The young girl bit her lip and her heels to her right and moved to leave, but her feet stayed rooted to the ground.

 

She heard a long drawn out yowl from inside the store and deduced that Jessica’s new pet cat was not particularly satisfied with her owner’s decisions. Tiffany sighed and mentally berated herself for what she would do next.

 

The pink-lover hitched her bag higher, checked twice before crossing the street and entered the pet store as well.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“Dear god cat! What do you want from me? Just choose goddam-OW!”

 

Don’t you raise your voice at me hooman! I need time to choose my sustenance. The audacity!

 

Jessica growled, not unlike a spitting mad feline herself. She could feel the odd stares from the shop-owner and sent a glower his way before turning back to the cat in her arms. The blonde took a few calming breaths and said in a slow even tone.

 

“Listen. Cat. It’s late. You’re tired. I’m tired. Just…choose and lets go home. You can have anything you want in this place, just make it q–”

 

“Uh miss you realize yo–”

 

“Shut up! I know what I’m d–”

 

“What she means is that she knows she’s crazy but asks for your kind considerations don’t you Jung Jessica?” a soft mellow and silently amused voice rang out quietly behind her.

 

Jessica whirled around, flinging the cat’s feet out from underneath her, which earned her another claw-in-arm debacle. The blonde hissed down at the cat before her head shot up in the direction of Tiffany’s husky voice.

“T-T-Tiffany! W-what are you doing here?!”

 

“Watching you talk to your cute little …” Tiffany smirked, purposely letting her voice drop a couple octaves and watching as Jessica squirmed and blushed uncomfortably. She found she liked making the older woman wriggle like a minnow caught in her hands.

 

“…cat," Tiffany finished in a deliberately breathy voice.

 

Jessica blew out her cheeks awkwardly, hoping to ward off the warmth collecting in her face and creeping down her neck.

 

The cat meowed happily at Tiffany, her little paws kneading contentedly while affectionately head butting at the air, inviting Tiffany to pet her. This of course was done at Jessica’s expense and the blonde did not appreciate the fact that the little creature had already seemed to have taken sides.

 

Wasn’t she the one who had taken this little fluffy ingrate in from the concrete jungle in the first place?!

 

While the blonde was both irritate at the fluffball’s betrayal of allegiance and flustered with Tiffany’s obvious teasing, Tiffany had gently extricated the tiny cute little cat from Jessica’s grasp and was walking around the store asking the feline what it liked. And it seemed that the cat was much more gracious with Tiffany’s companionship than it had been with Jessica. In less than ten minutes, the two had jointly picked out a large bag of organic salmon and cod cat kibble (the most expensive on the shelf if you must know), two food bowls and a fancy wooden stand, two cat beds, one of which had a ridiculously vomit-worthy amount of pink on it and the words ‘Princess’ scrawled across the front in nauseatingly gaudy gold sparkly lettering, a mid-sized scratching tree, and a whole cart-load of cat toys.

 

Jessica was still standing there like a lighting-struck idiot until she heard Tiffany call out to her.

 

“Jung Jessica, I hope you don’t plan on having me pay for your 's necessities,” at which the blonde’s head snapped up for a second time that day.

 

She bustled towards the cashier, with every intention to pay, her cheeks still flush from Tiffany's teasing. But…only to end up crashing into a tower of canned cat food on her way and scattering cans every which way in a thunderous crash. Both Tiffany and cat watched wide-eyed as Jessica took one unsure step, stepped on a rolling can, balanced precariously on it for a few precious moments, her hands up and all a-flail…before careening down like a screeching tower of…jumbled blonde mess.

 

The poor woman lay there groaning for the sec

Please log in to read the full chapter