A Better Day, Hopefully Part II

Can You Feel My Heartbeat Girl?

 

 We were picked up by a stretch limousine, and when Junsu explained that it was to avoid overzealous fans, I understood why. No need in having extra drama on a work day, I figure. Today I had on a lily-patterned dress, and it came to the perfect point on my hips where I could wear my black tights underneath it. My hair was in a swept bun, with my drop earrings, and my bow flats were perfect on my heels. A Lily crystal pin in my hair angle completed the look, and looking good just made me feel better after a day best forgotten.

All of the guys were wearing something that showed off their personalities: Nick a v neck shirt, and an open blazer over form fitting jeans, Woo was in a cut-off sweater top and short sleeves over jeans, Junsu a very suave jacket and silk shirt combination, Chan a hat and a designer t-shirt, Junho in an open vest and t shirt, Jay in a form fitting shirt and fresh kicks, Taec finishing off the group in a hoodie with no sleeves, showing his defined arms, and loose jeans.

Upon arriving at the JYP Recording Studio, I came to realize just how much 2PM was revered. There was nothing but smiling faces as we gave our greetings, bowing courteously and waving to everyone and walked upstairs to the Sound Bending Hall of Acoustics. Everyone here is so nice, so helpful-it’s hard to imagine that there are people who can’t stand this group-oh well, I’ve got to try my best to stay positive…The staff had already set up for the session, so all we had to do was find our positions-the boys actually went into the sound booths while I went into the sound board room to listen to them. “Can you hear us, Taren?” when Nick spoke, I jumped a good foot-it sounded like there was a God in the room with me. I could only put up the universal thumbs sign for ‘okay’ as the others laughed. “Oops, sorry about that Taren-unnie,” Nick scratched his head, smiling. “No worries, my friend,” I smiled even as the others began their vocal warm-ups.

“Okay guys, here’s what’s on the agenda for today: ‘I Can’t’, ‘Again & Again’, ‘I’ll Be Back’, and ‘Heartbeat’.” The others nodded and/or gave thumbs up to show that the sound was coming into their headphones just fine. As they did their vocal runs, my phone beeped with an incoming message from ‘Anthony E’, and I rolled my eyes and answered. Hey girlie, just texting to say hey, and that I miss you so so very much. How’s life in Seoul? When are you coming back to me?

Anthony was a guy that I met back in the States, and apparently he’d gotten in into his thick head that I wanted him, body and soul, as much as he wanted me. I’d thought I’d been pretty clear in my intentions, but some guys just don’t understand the no concept. I’d only have him in my phone for business reasons. I’m doing beautifully, Anthony, thanks for asking. I looked up and noticed that the boys had started into ‘Again & Again’, and Wooyoung had just started his solo. “Aww yeah!!” Inspired, I got up and acted like an obsessed fan, swooning and swaying, causing the members who weren’t singing to laugh outright and the ones who were to almost miss their cues completely. I started to groove to Woo’s beat in my chair, when my phone beeped again. Oh that’s so good to hear-when’s a good time for me to call? I really miss you being around me, and to look upon your beautiful face, and those soft, full lips…he had the nerve to follow up that little message with a bunch of smiley faces and hearts. I ignored the string of text messages that followed thereafter, but every time I danced and clapped, Anthony had something to say.

With an apologetic look to the others in the booth, I slipped outside the soundproof room and unlocked my phone. “Anthony? What is it? Why are you blowing up my phone like this?”

The honey in his voice was so authentic, so sweet- that I do believe it’s what made is so awful to my ears. “I only wanted to hear your siren voice again, my angel on earth. When are you coming back to me? I need you back in the States.” Little did I know that Taec had noticed my absence, waved to the others that something was wrong, and they stopped practicing to lean against the door to hear our conversation…

“For the last time, Anthony- I do not belong to you, or anybody else. I came here for change, and hope. There’s not a lot waiting for me back home, except for friends and family. All because you’re in business with some acquaintances of mine doesn’t automatically make us an item, or a couple, or whatever else you’ve got brewing in your head.”

“But you don’t understand-you’re the only one for me, and the only one I’d ever want. Do I have to come to Seoul and get you-“ *CLICK* I hung up the phone, trembling. Even though I’m practically a day and a half away from him-why does he still give me the creeps? Ugh..

…..When I walked back into the room, all eyes were on me. I waved at them hurriedly, smiling. “Don’t stop because of me-let’s rock this joint!!” Chan grinned, and they launched into “Tik Tok.” My phone beeped with a message-this time, I was wiser and blocked it out completely.

 The opening chords of  ‘I Can’t’ started in the booth, and I heard Junho solemnly say,“I dedicate this one to the newest, most precious love in my life-Taren-unnie..”

Ijeuryeogo haebonjeokdo eopseo
Naegen gachi eopneun iriraseo
Geudael tteoollineun iri maeil naegeneun
Sumswineun geotmankkeum sojonghae
I can't forget your love uh

Girl you know that I need your love, I need your everything I need you back
Kidaril su isseo till you come back
Comeback to me…..”


 

As the song  played, all of the men looked at me with true warmth in their eyes. Even though Junho’s gestures to me were walking the fine line of psychopath and cheesy, the sentiment behind it was greatly appreciated. A manager came in towards the end of the song, bearing great boxes of tatami and such for all of us.

One by one, the 2PM members filed into the sound panel room, gathering on different surfaces, chairs and couches as the assistant manager and I began to lay out the massive spread of food. With a “Kamhamsamida!!” everyone began to eat, spearing rice and rolls with pork inside with fervor. “So, Taren,” Woo said as casually as possible, “everything okay back home?” I waved my chopsticks in a blasé manner towards him. “Oh, there isn’t a problem-just a thorn in my side who thinks I’m his little housewife.” Junho choked openly on his noodles as Chan laughed and slapped him on the back. “You *wheeze* have someone back *cough* home?!” the vocalist managed to choke out comically as everyone laughed openly. “Oh come on, are you surprised? As good looking as our yoona is, she must’ve been knocking the suitors back with a baseball bat,” Junsu said, putting his arm around me. I laughed, “No no, it’s nothing like that-this one and I met at a business convention convergence, and ever since then he’s gone from friend to the ultimate creeper. I want nothing to do with him romantically, but he refuses to take no for an answer…”

Nick leaned forward then, and passed me the platter of Cumin rolls. “Sounds like a real problem-need us to take care of it?” I laughed as his brotherly persona came out in the form of an old school Italian Mobster. “Nah, I’ve handled him before, and I can do it again-hang on,” I said, inspired by where we were, “are you guys free right now? I wanna send him a ‘fun’ picture…” I tapped my fingertips together lightly, and immediately Woo, Chan, and Junsu’s face lit up with anticipation. “Whatever you want us to do, we’re at your beck and call,” Junho said, and I grinned evilly, “Perfect, my precious…”

We walked next door into the dance studio, and lined up so that we were directly across from the wall-to-wall mirrors in the room. Taec tapped me on the shoulder. “So what’s first on the agenda?” I smiled. “I want you all to show me the full dance routine to ‘Heartbeat’- I wanna learn as much of it as I can.” Jay crossed his arms and raised his eyebrows at me, smiling, “And how will this play into your plans of vengeance?” I patted his stomach as I walked by, “Oh ye of little faith….”

Taecyeon grinned at the others. “I’m fully on her side for this one, you guys- if she says she has a plan for revenge, and then I’ll help her all I can.” The manager was in the sound conducting room, and as soon as the boys were in their starting positions I signaled her to start the song.

Immediately, the beat kicked in and Taec was the first to start….

Can You Feel My Heartbeat? Girl Can You Feel Me?

He made his signature pumping motions in front of his heart, starting into his rap verse. I watched, following his motions the best that I could. Chansung and Woo did their parts to a T, and soon the rest followed in perfect synchronization. Jay of course, went above and beyond with his impeccable break-dancing skills, and when the song ended, the manager and I clapped enthusiastically.

“That was great-okay my turn!!” I set the video-camera that the assistant handed me to ‘record’ and walked onto the set with 2PM. “And what do you think you’re doing, Taren-ni?” Nick put his hands on his hips as he watched me gesture to the others to get back into their starting positions. I only smiled sweetly at him as I laid down to join Taec center stage. “You’ll see…”

The assistant started the music again, and Taec began his introduction once more-only this time, I was there with him. As soon as the music started, I began to pulse on the ground, and Taec pantomimed taking his own heart and giving me life, sliding to the ground as I jumped behind Chan to motion to his verses.

The beat kicked in for real, and this time Woo caught on-lifting me in the air instead of his real partner, Junho, who instead improvised and got on top of Junsu and Nick’s outstretched arms. Wooyoung tossed me in the air, and I stretched out like a swan, twirling a perfect bonze as Taec stepped in to catch me. He set me down quickly, nodded curtly at me, and the 8 of us finished the dance, together as one.

Jay, inspired, reached for my hand and led me forward. “Taren-yoona, I challenge you to a break battle!!!” I grinned. “I may not know how to be as fancy as you, but I’ll hold my own against you, bboy!!!” Chan grinned as I tossed him my earrings for safe-keeping, and he jumped in the sound booth to signal the assistant to ‘play something fun!!’ She complied immediately, and soon C &C Factory’s ‘Everybody Dance NOW!!’ Came blasting through the speakers.

Jaybeom burst out in a dance routine that no one could dare say he copies from anyone. He danced, jived, grooved and entered into a complicated freeze pose that only Michael Jackson could’ve successfully pulled off in the first go. “Lemme see what you can do!!” I nodded sharply. “Here I go!!!” Instead of sharp, accurate moves like the leader, I instead went for my own personal groove, ifying my hips and stepping into the beat completely. “Oooh~Look at her go!!” Jay folded his arms and acknowledged me, even as they egged us on. “Okay, okay, you got something-but can you do this?!” He launched himself into a ell placed, well-timed windmill that took precision and accuracy to control, to the shock of everyone. “Oooh~stay strong, my love!!” Junho placed a hand over his heart and reached out to me. I sways my hips as Jay came to a heart stop, gaining the applause of many. “That’s cute, but so yesterday-try this on for size!!”

Using my martial art techniques, I launched into the twisting lotus, one-legged cartwheels that the Chinese fighters were known for doing. Using one hand as a balance and the other as a fulcrum, I went through 7 complete cycles before stopping and hitting a pose against Jay. Everyone went wild, and I received a standing ovation for my efforts. Coming over and linking arms with Jay, I yelled out, “Come on then~ let’s groove together!!” We both danced our hearts out in the moment, and then we were surrounded by the other members of 2PM, laughing and gyrating and grooving to the music, all hitting the Idol Show pose when the beat stopped.

“And here we are-2PM there she goes~~!!” We hit cheerleading poses, and then collapsed to the ground in giggles, forming a massive dog pile on the studio floor.

“Oh my gosh, that was fun,” I gasped out, lying spread eagle on top of Junsu and Woo, who slid out from underneath me to pull me to my feet. Jay whistled low as he high-fived me, “I am impressed- not many people can keep up with us in a dance,” he said smoothly, walking over and stopping the video camera. I laughed and shrugged, “I guess I’m just really good at mimicry is all.” Chan came up behind us and cheered. “Well, I don’t care how you did it-just know that you are really good at entertaining, Taren-unni.” The others congratulated me, surrounding and patting my shoulders.

The assistant (her name was Minji, a shy but attractive force) walked in the studio then. “Sorry to interrupt, guys- but you have a model shoot for Coca-Cola in the next 30 minutes.” Nick slapped his forehead. “Oh wow, time flies!!Thanks Minji-come on you guys, we’ve got to go freshen up.” I dusted off my dress and straightened up my hair, reaching for the camera. “Sounds like we go our separate paths from here,” I said, winking at Jay. There was a general outcry of “What?” as Chan tapped me on the shoulder. “What will you do, Unni? Why don’t you come and watch us?” “You can at least hang around on set,” Junho added, trying to lead me in the direction of the boys. I gently shrugged him off, saying, “No no, it’s fine-I can always catch up later~ besides, I wanna upload this to my PC- it’s the start of a wonderful memory book.” With a wink worthy of SNSD, I waved my ‘ta-ta’ to the boys and skipped down the hallway to the elevator. There, I took the connecting hallway to the Guidance hallway to find my office….