4

what is infinite

          After taking a quick shower, Sungyeol came out to see that Woohyun had already woken everybody else up, and that he was currently cooking. The smell made Sungyeol close his eyes and smile. He absolutely loved it when Woohyun cooked.

            He walked into his room to get his jacket but froze when he saw Sunggyu changing. The elder was just about to put on his shirt, but for some reason the little peek of skin that Sungyeol could see set his mind on fire. Sungyeol stopped at the door and closed his eyes. He clenched his fists and walked in. He literally felt like his head was burning, and he almost had no idea why.

***

            Once Sunggyu got his shirt over his head, he noticed Sungyeol walking in.

            “Ah, Sungyeol! You’re awake early today.”

            Sungyeol continued right past Sunggyu and muttered, “Yeah.”

            Sunggyu raised his eyebrow. Was something wrong?

            His eyes followed Sungyeol as the younger picked up his jacket, put it on, and left the room. Sungyeol tried to get out of there as fast as he could. This wasn’t something he wanted to deal with that morning.

            I knew I shouldn’t have told them, Sunggyu thought, believing that Sungyeol was mad at him for accepting the opportunity for a second solo album.

***

            Everyone thanked Woohyun for making breakfast and quickly dug in, since they didn’t have that much time before they would have to leave. They didn’t get to have breakfast very often either, so today was the start of a good day for most of them.

            Today was a day where everyone had something different to do. Even though they were all promoting ‘A Man in Love’, some of them still had more schedules planned out than others. Sunggyu had to go film for High Society, Myungsoo had to film for K.Will’s new music video, Sungjong went to follow him, and Infinite H had another performance to do. Sungyeol didn’t have a schedule today, and neither did Woohyun.

            When Sungyeol plopped down in his chair, he looked at everyone quickly, his eyes scanning over them to see how they were doing. He did this often, especially when they were all together eating. Sometimes he felt that he was so lost in this idol universe, that he forgot that they were all still humans. Watching them interact while eating helped him remember that yes, these are all normal people that need to eat. It was the same thinking that helped him get over starving himself during the summer. He realized that his fellow members still ate and that other idols ate and that he was still human, so there was no reason in trying to starve himself, because honestly, not eating made him feel less of a human.

            He saw that Hoya was eating happily, Dongwoo glanced at him every once in a while, to make sure he didn’t choke on his food, Myungsoo ate as if he were never going to eat again, Sungjong ate a little but ended up playing with his food after a while, and Sunggyu’s cheeks moved every time he chewed. He also noticed that Woohyun, too, watched everyone eat.

            Sungyeol noticed for the first time that Woohyun never really ate. He would make the food, set the table up, and sit with his bowl in front of him, watching everyone else eat his food. He never touched his chopsticks that morning, not even once. Sungyeol suddenly felt terrible that it was only at that time that he had noticed this. He wondered why it had taken him to realize this. Was Woohyun having troubles with himself?

***

            Everyone in Infinite but Woohyun and Sungyeol left to their schedules after the quick breakfast. They all had thanked Woohyun again, and left him and Sungyeol with all of the dishes to wash and the leftovers to pack into the fridge. After wishing everyone good luck, Woohyun walked back into the kitchen to start cleaning everything up. He was a little surprised to see Sungyeol already moving the dishes.

            “Sungyeol, you don’t have to do that,” Woohyun mumbled as he tried to take the bowls from Sungyeol’s hands.

            Sungyeol moved away from Woohyun and put the empty bowls in the sink. He turned around and squint his eyes at the elder.

            “Woohyun, you know that you have to eat, right?”

            “What do you mean? I-I eat,” he stammered.

            Sungyeol leaned against the counter, his eyes showing that he didn’t believe what Woohyun was saying.

            “I watched you this entire morning. You didn’t even touch your chopsticks.”

            Woohyun, feeling caught, exhaled heavily and sat down at the table.

            “I wasn’t that hungry…” Woohyun insisted.

            Sungyeol set Woohyun’s bowl from earlier down in front of him and sat down in front of Woohyun.

            “You still need to eat.”

***

            “Sungyeol,” Woohyun began.

            “Yeah?”

            “Anything bothering you?” 

            Sungyeol pursed his lips together as he layed on the couch. Woohyun sat on the ground and rested his head on Sungyeol’s thigh. He could just sense from the hesitation that there was something going on with Sungyeol.

            But the younger still replied with, “There’s nothing bothering me.”

            Woohyun let out a bitter chuckle.

            “Come on, you forced me to eat this morning; now I’m forcing you to tell me your troubles. Talk.”

            He glanced at him and saw Sungyeol smile sadly. It was times like this that Sungyeol really hated and loved Woohyun’s personality.

            “Fine,” he said, moving to sit down next to Woohyun.

            Sungyeol put his hands on his knees and rested his head on Woohyun’s shoulder.           

            “I guess I’m a little jealous,” he began, his voice quiet.

            “Of who?” Woohyun asked, turning his head towards the younger, “Sunggyu?”

            Sungyeol hesitated before replying and nodding, “Yes.”

            “Why?” Woohyun continued.

            Sungyeol closed his eyes.

            “Because…Sunggyu gets another solo album, and I can’t even get more than two lines in a title song…” Sungyeol laughed bitterly, “My singing must really , huh?”

            Woohyun turned completely to look at Sungyeol this time, the younger’s head falling out of place in the process. He hated when Sungyeol talked like this.

            “Sungyeol, stop talk like that. You know that your voice is getting better. You’re getting more lines, and you know that. Heck, you even bragged to everyone that you got two lines instead of one this time around.”

            Sungyeol moved and leaned his head on the couch.

            “But my voice will never be as good as Sunggyu’s, or Dongwoo’s. My voice will never be able to compare to yours either, and sure it’s two lines and more than I had before, but my part always gets cut anyway. I was excited up to the point when they shortened our song and chose my part to cut out. Do you know how hard I worked on my voice just to get those two lines? Yet Sunggyu over here gets handed another solo album,” Sungyeol ranted. The sorrow and self-pity in his voice decided to break Woohyun’s heart into little pieces.

            “Sungyeol…”

            Sungyeol sighed and looked up at Woohyun. “What now?”

            “I think your voice is perfect just the way it is. I don’t think those PD’s cut your part out on purpose either. You know that I think your voice is great.”

            The younger chuckled. “Yeah, you and you only. Don’t lie to me like that. You know that I’ll never get more than two lines in a title song, and that I’m a useless member…just like everyone says I am.”

            Woohyun suddenly got up and stared at Sungyeol, almost glaring at the younger, outraged at his self-deprecating words.

            “Stop it. I don’t want to hear you talk like that.”

            “But you know it! You know that I’ll never be good as Sunggyu!”

            “Dammit, shut up, Sungyeol, shut up! I don’t want to hear this kind of talk from you again! I always tell you time after time to stop victimizing yourself and to stop pitying yourself! You’re always so insecure, and I hate it! Stop putting yourself down! I’m tired of it!”

            Listening to the words coming out of Woohyun’s mouth, Sungyeol’s eyes had hardened and he felt like punching Woohyun in the face. Instead, Sungyeol got up and walked silently to his room, not taking another glance at the elder.

            Woohyun fell on his knees to the ground when he started hear Sungyeol’s soft cries, and he felt so damn frustrated that he started to throw the pillows he saw on the couch all over the small dorm. He was lucky to not have broken anything.

            The younger wouldn’t leave his room for the rest of the day, and the elder was irritated with himself and with Sungyeol to try and patch things up.

            They both wondered the same thing though: Why don’t you understand?

***

            When the rest of the members got back, Sungyeol and Woohyun had already fallen asleep. There was food on the table for them when they got home, and they ate it without questions. Woohyun had cleaned up the mess he had created earlier and made dinner for the members while trying to calm down and think of ways to get Sungyeol to forgive him.

            The members that had come back were all a little tired and didn’t find it that strange that the two other members were asleep and didn’t come out to see them all get back. They probably wanted to get as much rest and they could, though it was a bit weird that Sungyeol didn’t come out to greet them. Sungyeol was a light sleeper, and he usually would’ve woken up from the door opening.

***

            Myungsoo was quietly walking into his room, trying to be careful to not wake up Sungyeol, when his phone rang.

            He silently cursed himself, knowing that his ringtone woke up Sungyeol, and he felt like an idiot for not putting it on silent, because Sungyeol was literally the lightest sleeper ever, and after the past few days, Myungsoo knew that Sungyeol probably needed the rest the most. He quickly made his way back into the living room to take the call, since everyone else was either in the bathroom or in their respective rooms.

            “Hello?” he answered.

            “Myungsoo?”

            “Yes, sir?”

            “I want to inform you that you were offered another acting role.”

            Myungsoo was silent for a bit. He was a little shocked, because he didn’t remember auditioning for anything. In fact, he hadn’t been paying attention to castings for new dramas for a while. He had wanted to focus on the ‘Man in Love’ promotions. He sighed and glanced back at his room that he shared with Sunggyu and Sungyeol.

            He knew exactly what he was going to say.

            “Tell them that I don’t want it.”