18

what is infinite

            Sungyeol sat on Myungsoo’s bed and looked outside the window for a bit. Myungsoo smiled when he saw him, and he sat down next to him.

            “Get enough sleep in the car?”

            Sungyeol scoffed and rolled his eyes playfully. He stretched his arms and lied down on Myungsoo’s bed.

            “I don’t think I’d ever get enough sleep, Myung.”

            Myungsoo chuckled and leaned against the wall as he watched Sungyeol close his eyes.

            “Are you going to sleep here tonight?” he asked with a slightly hopeful voice.

            Sungyeol opened his eyes and the bed to face Myungsoo. He rested his head on his hand and his elbow on the mattress. He gave a sad smile.

            “I don’t think so,” he replied.

            Sungyeol looked down at the mattress for a few seconds and then looked back at Myungsoo.

            “I don’t think I can, right now.”

            Hiding his disappointment, Myungsoo simply nodded and feigned a smile at his best friend.

            Opening the bathroom door, Sunggyu walked out while drying his hair with a towel in one hand. Dongwoo immediately walked in after he walked out, and Sunggyu smiled a bit when he saw Sungjong sitting against the wall with his eyes closed and his pajamas and towel in hand.

            He saw the lights still on in his room with Sungyeol and Myungsoo, and he contemplated about going in. He wanted to talk to Sungyeol, but if Myungsoo was awake, he wasn’t sure if he wanted to. Sunggyu’s known about Myungsoo’s feelings for a long time now, but he didn’t know what to do about them. When they first started as Infinite, he was so sure that Sungyeol would eventually return Myungsoo’s feelings, and that they’d end up like Hoya and Dongwoo, but he wasn’t so sure anymore, not with Sungyeol just kissing him like that.

            Does Sungyeol really like me? Was he just playing around?

            Those two questions had been circling his head every second since the event had happened, and Sunggyu still hadn’t found an answer to them.

            He stopped rubbing his hair with his towel, and he held it in his hand in front of the door to his room. He placed his other hand on the doorknob.

            I have to know.

            While Sunggyu was worrying his head off, Woohyun layed down on his bed and stared at the ceiling. He put his earphones in, and he placed his hand on his stomach. He ran his hand up and down the bare skin, and he thought about what would happen if he listened to Hoya.

            He knew that he had to listen to Hoya now.

            What if he tells Sungyeol what I tried to do today? What if Sungyeol wouldn’t talk to me after that?

            Woohyun closed his eyes after thinking of those possibilities. He felt so stupid for trying to kiss Sungyeol like that. Sungyeol was asleep! What was he going to do if Sungyeol were to wake up with Woohyun’s lips on his? He opened his eyes and turned towards the wall. He chuckled bitterly because the one thing that Sungyeol wouldn’t do was kiss back.

            He saddened at the thought of Sungyeol pushing him away. Woohyun didn’t like that thought one little bit.

            He sat up in his bed and went to turn off the lights. However, just as he did, the door to his room opened, and in came Sungyeol.

            He widened his eyes when he saw Sungyeol close the door behind him, and he leaned over to turn the lamp on, so Sungyeol could see where he was going. Woohyun knew that Sungyeol wasn’t that used to the complete dark like he was, but he found himself hoping that one day he would be.

            He watched as Sungyeol walked towards him and sat down on the bed next to him.

            Sungyeol turned to Woohyun with sad eyes. He leaned closer to him and hugged him tightly. Woohyun felt his shirt dampen slightly and wrapped his arms around Sungyeol’s waist.

            “How long do you think we’ll be like this?”

            Woohyun sighed and rubbed Sungyeol’s back slowly. He listened to Sungyeol’s worries and felt his heart ache again. He felt a tear escape from his eyes as he heard Sunggyu’s name over and over again from the crying person in his arms.

            When Sungyeol stopped crying, Woohyun wondered how long he was going to do this for.

            How long am I going to listen to Sungyeol talk about Sunggyu? How long am I going to stay here, not letting him know how I feel?

            He stood up and sighed, watching Sungyeol close his eyes. He stared at Sungyeol a bit to make sure he was asleep, and he then moved to leave the room. Woohyun turned off the lamp and started to head towards the door. He wanted to talk to Sunggyu. He wanted to find out what happened that night, but he suddenly heard a rustle behind him, and he turned around.

            Woohyun was surprised to see Sungyeol halfway up in the bed with a scared look on his face.

            “Don’t go, Woohyun,” he whispered.

            Woohyun swore that he could have cried at that moment.

            Meanwhile, Sunggyu sat down in his bed, a little disappointed. When he walked into the room, he found that Sungyeol wasn’t even in the room. Myungsoo was sitting in his bed with his knees against his chest, looking at the ground, and the door to Woohyun’s room was closed. He sighed and placed his damp towel on the nightstand by his bed. He plopped down on the bed silently and layed his torso down on his mattress.

            “Myungsoo, do you think he’ll ever talk to me again?”

            Myungsoo looked up and stared at the leader.

            “I don’t know,” he said honestly, “What even happened that night?”

            Sunggyu sat up on the bed and stared at the visual. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. He didn’t want to tell Myungsoo anything, but if he kept it in any longer, he didn’t know what would happen. It was affecting the group’s practices, and it was even affecting his recording for his second solo album. He had to fix this, even if the entire group had to know what happened. It seemed like there was no way that Sungyeol would talk to him willingly.

            “Sunggyu, what happened? There’s no way I can help if I don’t know what happened,” Myungsoo said, interrupting Sunggyu’s thoughts.

            Sunggyu sighed again.

            “I-I can’t say,” he replied.

            Even though it wasn’t good to keep everything in, it still wasn’t as bad as telling Myungsoo that the person Myungsoo was in love with kissed him instead. He didn’t know how Myungsoo would take it, but he knew he wouldn’t take it well. Sungyeol ignored him for a day, and Myungsoo basically broke down. The fact that Sungyeol wasn’t sleeping in the same room was already showing to have an effect of Myungsoo. Sunggyu didn’t want to add onto that.

            “Whatever happened, you still have to talk to him. If you won’t tell any of us what happened then none of us can help you,” Myungsoo continued after realizing that he wasn’t going to get a response.

            Sunggyu layed down and closed his eyes.

            “I know.”