16

what is infinite

            “Sunggyu went to record for his album again,” Sungjong informed Sungyeol.

            “I didn’t ask,” Sungyeol mumbled, walking back into his room.

            Sungjong knew that Sungyeol hadn’t asked, but he could tell the elder was wondering from the look in his eyes. Sungyeol had scanned the room for all of the members and there was a change in his expression when he realized that the dorm only held 6 people.

            No one really knew that the youngest could read people so easily. He was a lot like Dongwoo, except he never really acted on what he knew. He knew that Woohyun was having troubles with his looks and that Woohyun probably loved Sungyeol more than he loved himself, but he also knew that Myungsoo would give up his life for Sungyeol. Sungjong cared about all of the members, so he decided not to break both Woohyun and Myungsoo’s hearts by telling them both that the apple of their eyes was in love with the leader. Sungjong felt that it wasn’t the best idea to keep this away from them, but as time went on, there wasn’t much he could do.

            Woohyun had pretty much figured out about Sungyeol’s feelings for Sunggyu, and Sungjong didn’t want to hurt him more by just confirming his worries. Sungjong didn’t want anybody to be hurt, but it was hard when everything he could see from s would hurt each other. So he decided to just watch and stay away. He didn’t want to get involved, because he might lose himself in their troubles, and he didn’t want to lose himself—not when he was idol in a world where it was so easy to lose himself.

            Sungyeol walked into his room after Sungjong’s unnecessary comment to find Myungsoo reading the script for his new drama. He felt himself get jealous and mad all of a sudden, and he started to feel worthless as well.

            I can’t do anything right. I can’t act. I can’t sing like Sunggyu and Woohyun. I can’t dance like Hoya and Dongwoo. I’m not good-looking like Myungsoo and Sungjong are. I can’t do anything.

            Going through his thoughts again, Sungyeol realized that his mind was going to a bad place again and decided to leave the room. He wasn’t going to get into another fight with another member just because he was insecure about himself. He just couldn’t. He couldn’t lose Myungsoo too.

            The door slammed, and Myungsoo looked up. He realized Sungyeol was in the room and widened his eyes. Looking down at his script, his glanced at the door that Sungyeol just came out of. Realizing why the door had been slammed, he threw his script at the wall against the wall and kicked at the chair in front of him. He ran his fingers through his hair and got up, reluctantly walking over to where his script fell to. He should’ve been more careful to make sure that Sungyeol didn’t see him with his script. He really didn’t need to add more fuel to the fire that was in Sungyeol’s mind at the moment—he really didn’t. He wanted to be the one person that Sungyeol could lean on and be with no matter what—the one person that Sungyeol could be around without having to feel worthless. But he ruined it.

            Stupid, stupid, stupid…

            Meanwhile, Sungyeol sat on the couch and had his knees up against his chest.

            Sungjong walked in the living room with a glass of water and saw the elder with a sad expression on his face. He gripped his water a little tighter and walked towards the elder. He placed the cup down and sat next to Sungyeol.

            There was a long silence between them before Sungjong decided to interfere for once.

            “Sungyeol…” he began, “Myungsoo said no.”

            Sungyeol looked away from the ground and glanced at Sungjong.

            “What?” he asked with a bewildered look on his face.

            “Myungsoo didn’t want the part. It was late at night when he got a call from the CEO, and Myungsoo told him he didn’t want the part. The CEO told him he didn’t have a choice, that he already accepted it for him.”

            Guilt spread across Sungyeol’s face as he realized that the stupid little grudge he had on Myungsoo was for no reason at all, and he glanced back at his room. He was so stupid to think that his best friend would betray him like that.

            “Are you sure?” he asked.

            Sungjong grabbed the remote and the TV.

            “Myungsoo cares too much about you to take the part that he knew you wanted. He follows you to your auditions. Didn’t you know that?”

            Sungjong just sighed as he listened to Sungyeol race to his room where Myungsoo was.

            They really don’t see anything, he thought to himself, shaking his head.

            In the other room, Woohyun looked at himself in the mirror and frowned. He had gained a pound from the night before, and he was a little upset. There was a slight tan on his face, and he didn’t like that either. He slathered some sunscreen on his face, arms, and legs before grabbing his backpack. If he couldn’t get rid of his food by throwing it up, he’d have to work it off.

            He walked into the living room where Sungjong and Sungyeol were talking. He couldn’t hear what they were talking about, but Sungyeol looked sad. He looked at Sungyeol and wanted to walk over and comfort him, but then he took a look at how pale and skinny Sungjong was. He felt a little hurt that Sungyeol went to Sungjong for comfort instead of him, but then he shook his head.

            What am I doing? Sungjong is a member of Infinite. Sungyeol can’t only depend on me… No matter how much I wish he did.

            He started to walk out of the dorm until Hoya stopped him. Hoya put his hand on his shoulder, making Woohyun turn around.

            “What’s up Hoya?” Woohyun asked nonchalantly.

            Hoya put his hand behind his neck, looking a little awkward in front of Woohyun.

            “Um, the gym is closed today. I tried going there earlier,” the rapper explained.

            Woohyun looked at Hoya with a curious look on his face.

            “Are you sure?”

            Hoya nodded quickly.

            “Yup, I’m sure. You should work out tomorrow instead. I’ll go with you to make sure you don’t strain yourself too much.”

            Woohyun sighed. “Alright then,” he replied.

            Hoya looked around the room and saw Sungjong on the couch alone.

            “Why don’t you just watch some TV with Sungjong? He looks a bit lonely.”

            Woohyun rolled his eyes. “Sungjong’s with—“

            He looked back and Sungyeol wasn’t there anymore. He looked back at Hoya, who was still incredibly awkward since he and Woohyun didn’t talk that often.

            “Fine,” he said.

            Hoya smiled and patted Woohyun on the shoulder.

            “Remember that dinner is soon. Sunggyu said the manager is going to take us out.”

            Walking away from Hoya and towards Sungjong, Woohyun cursed the gym for being closed on the day he’d be forced to eat plenty. He hoped that the bathroom would be unlocked today. He turned around and watched Hoya go back into his room, wondering for a moment why Hoya seemed to be acting so weird lately.

            Coming back from the bathroom, Myungsoo opened the door to his room to find Sungyeol on his bed with the drama script.

            Myungsoo stared at the strange sight, a confused look on his face.

            When Myungsoo closed the door, he saw Sungyeol look up with a small smile on his face. The elder lifted up the script.

            “Do you need any help rehearsing? I can be the girl if you want, but only for a little bit,” Sungyeol said with a big smile on his face, “after that, I want to play the handsome idiot that follows his best friend to all of his auditions without telling him.”