26

what is infinite

            Everyone was in bed, but like the many times before, no one was asleep.

            Sungyeol was lying on his bed, staring at the ceiling, thinking about what Woohyun had told him the night before. He was still clueless and wondering who the person Woohyun loved was. He had this feeling that it was someone he knew, but then again, he felt that if Woohyun didn’t want to tell him who it was, he wouldn’t ask. He was still curious nevertheless.

            Their room was dark except for the light by Myungsoo’s bed. Sungyeol turned in his own bed and sighed. He’d probably have to give up on ever finding out who Woohyun had his eye on, but he guessed he’d be ok with that. It’s not like it’d affect him that much anyway, right?

            While Sungyeol was being completely clueless, Myungsoo was up late rereading his script for filming. They were going to film the next morning. He felt a little jittery thinking about tomorrow. He hoped that Sungyeol would ask to come with him or that the elder would just show up randomly. It was those little things that made Myungsoo happy; Sungyeol in general made him happy.

            He mouthed the words that he’d have to say aloud the next day, and he made a bunch of different faces to get the fear of making a fool of himself out of his head. The other members didn’t have a schedule while he was going to go film. The rest of them were probably going to practice Man In Love again, as well as other songs. The only other person who had a schedule the next day was Sunggyu. He had to record again for his second solo album.

            Myungsoo glanced away from his script to find Sungyeol staring at him. He widened his eyes. He didn’t know that Sungyeol was still awake.

            “Is the light keeping you up?” he whispered.

            Sungyeol shook his head no.

            “Is that the script for tomorrow?” Sungyeol asked.

            Myungsoo nodded his head.

            Sungyeol smiled and got up off of his bed. He didn’t feel like he was going to be able to sleep that night anyway. He walked slowly over to Myungsoo’s bed, trying hard to make sure that Sunggyu didn’t wake up. What he didn’t know was that Sunggyu was also still awake.

            Sungyeol sat down next to Myungsoo on his bed and took a hold of the younger’s script.

            “You ready for tomorrow’s filming?”

            “I think so,” Myungsoo mumbled.

            Sungyeol widened his eyes and playfully hit Myungsoo’s shoulder.

            “Hey!” he whispered loudly, “You’re Kim Myungsoo! You have to be confident!”

            Myungsoo smiled and pushed Sungyeol back.

            “I didn’t say I wasn’t confident!”

            Sungyeol stuck his tongue out at the younger, and Myungsoo made a funny face, making both of them cover their mouths with their hands to keep themselves from laughing out loud.

            After their short laughing fit, Sungyeol watched Myungsoo put away the script and turn off his lamp. He then proceeded to lay his head on Sungyeol’s lap, sighing contently in being close with his best friend again.

            “So, how have you been? We haven’t had our night talks in a while. What made you want to come over here?” Myungsoo asked.

            The two of them remembered while laughing that Sunggyu listened to music while sleeping, so they had decided to stop whispering. Myungsoo was a little disappointed though; they were forced to be close to each other to hear one another when they whispered.

            Sungyeol looked down at the younger laying on his lap and chuckled bitterly.

            “I don’t really know what’s bothering me. I mean, I’m actually pretty happy myself. I think it’s just that I’m worrying about Woohyun a bit too much.”

            Myungsoo felt a pang at his heart went he heard Sungyeol say Woohyun’s name. It almost hurt as much as whenever Sungyeol mentioned Sunggyu’s name. He sighed again, tired of Sungyeol’s affections for other people. Why couldn’t Sungyeol pay attention to him for once?

            “Woohyun seems fine though?”

            Sungyeol petted Myungsoo’s hair absentmindedly, making the younger grin in the dark.

            “He may seem like it, but sometimes I just really worry for him. He’s a better actor then you’d think.”

            Despite Sungyeol touching his hair, Myungsoo frowned. It wasn’t fair. The first time that Sungyeol came to his bed in a while was to talk about Woohyun? That bothered him. What happened to Sungyeol telling Myungsoo his problems? When did it become a time to talk about other people?

            Not getting a response, Sungyeol decided to change the subject.

            “How about you? How are things going for you?” he asked.

            Myungsoo reached up and took the hand his hair and held it in his. The action surprised Sungyeol a bit, but Myungsoo ignored it.

            “I-I’m actually having a bit of a hard time, Sungyeol,” he admitted.

            The protective side of Sungyeol came over him, and the elder leaned closer to the younger on his lap.

            “What’s wrong?”

            Myungsoo saw the worry in Sungyeol’s eyes through the darkness and realized exactly what Woohyun was going through at that time. It wasn’t the look he wanted to see from Sungyeol. But unlike Woohyun, Myungsoo was going to fight for who he wanted.

            Myungsoo took Sungyeol’s hand and brought it back to his hair, letting the elder go back to it.

            “I can’t say right now…but can you just be here for me?”

            Sungyeol, worrying for his best friend, nodded. Myungsoo usually told him whatever was bothering him right away. If Myungsoo wasn’t able to tell him, then Sungyeol assumed that it was something really bad. He hoped that everything was ok with Myungsoo.

            “Of course, Myungsoo, you know I’ll always be here for you. We’re best friends remember?” he added, realizing that Myungsoo probably wouldn’t be able to see his nod.

            Myungsoo saw it but didn’t say anything.    

            “Thanks, Sungyeol,” he whispered.

            He got up off of Sungyeol’s lap and sat in front of him.

            “Sleep with me tonight? You’re my good luck charm you know? I want to do good during filming tomorrow,” Myungsoo asked, knowing that Sungyeol would do whatever he wanted if he asked, especially if he said something related to his acting. He knew that Sungyeol always wished the best for Myungsoo.

            Sungyeol nodded but hesitated for a moment, glancing back at Sunggyu’s bed. A little ticked off that Sungyeol paused for a bit, Myungsoo took his hand and layed down with it, making the other lay down too. Before Sungyeol was able to do anything else, Myungsoo wrapped his arms around the elder.

            I’m not going to let you go, not to Sunggyu, not to Woohyun, not to anyone.