12

what is infinite

            Sunggyu stood there against the wall of the practice room shocked. He could barely comprehend what had just happened. He just didn’t understand.

            Did Sungyeol just kiss me?

            He shook his head, trying to shake the lingering memory out of his head.

            No, this can’t be happening. That didn’t just happen.

            He looked at the mirror and stared at his reflection. He blinked and held the hand Sungyeol’s tears fell on up to his lips.

            The fiery feeling was still there, and it almost shocked him when he pressed his fingers against his lips.

            He closed his eyes and fell down to his knees on the ground of the practice room.

            This can’t be happening.

***

            Meanwhile, Sungyeol ran down the hallway and into one of the managers. He looked up into the shocked man and pleaded with his tear-filled eyes.

            Please take me back to the dorm.

            Jungryul and Youngjun exchanged looks, and Jungryul then stepped forward to put his arm around Sungyeol. He started leading Sungyeol to the car before mumbling to the other manager that he’d be right back to get Sunggyu.

            When Sungyeol felt Jungryul’s arm around his shoulders, he started to sob loudly. He couldn’t believe he had done that.

            He probably just ruined whatever relationship he had with Sunggyu.

            Sunggyu probably won’t even look at me now.

***

            A couple of minutes later, Sunggyu snapped out of his daze.

            Youngjun had knocked on the door and slowly walked into the practice room.

            “Sungyeol’s on his way to the dorm right now. After he drops him off, he’ll come back to get you,” he notified Sunggyu. His voice had a careful tone, not knowing what had happened between the two members, but seeing Sungyeol, he knew that whatever it was, it wasn’t good.

            Sunggyu was barely listening to his manager though. After hearing that Sungyeol had left, his ears drowned out everything else. He still couldn’t believe that Sungyeol had kissed him.

            They weren’t even that close. Sure, they were both members of the same group, but they were never actually that close. They weren’t close to each other like Dongwoo and Hoya were. If this were to happen between one of the members and Sungyeol, Sunggyu was so sure that it would happen between Sungyeol and Myungsoo, or Sungyeol and Woohyun even. He just didn’t expect it to happen between Sungyeol and him.

            He wants me to think of him as a man.

            Sunggyu thought back to right before Sungyeol had pressed his lips against his. He had led Sunggyu’s hand around his slightly defined body: his arms, his chest.

            The thoughts sent shivers down Sunggyu’s spine.

            No, this is one of the members. I can’t think like this.

            “Sunggyu, are you alright?” Youngjun asked, interrupting Sunggyu’s thoughts. He had on a worried face. He didn’t want Sunggyu to have a breakdown either.

            “Y-Yeah,” Sunggyu croaked out. He hadn’t realized how hoarse his throat was.

            He nodded to make sure that Youngjun had understood, but he knew that it wasn’t going to be very convincing.

            The manager just sighed and started to head out of the room, leaving Sunggyu. Before closing the door, he glanced back at the leader of Infinite, knowing that if Sungyeol was the one who was crying, then Sunggyu would have to be the one to do something to mend their relationship.

            “You have to fix this Sunggyu,” he demanded.

            “I know,” Sunggyu mumbled softly, staring at the mirror again, his attention particularly on his lips.

            But how do I fix something like this?

***

            Woohyun sat on the couch, deciding to wait for Sunggyu and Sungyeol to get back. Even though his eyes were struggling to stay open, he tried his best to wait for them. It hadn’t worked out that well last time, but this time he was determined to stay up. He had a terrible feeling in his heart that at least one of them was going to need someone to talk to, whether it was Sunggyu or Sungyeol and he knew that he had to be there for them.

            He heard the door open, and he stood up from his sitting position on the couch. It was Sungyeol, and Woohyun expected Sunggyu to be behind him, but he wasn’t.

            Instead Jungryul was there. Jungryul saw Woohyun and walked up to him.

            He whispered quietly, “Woohyun, take care of Sungyeol tonight okay? It didn’t go very well. Make sure one of the other members’ talks to Sunggyu when he gets home too alright? You can talk to both if you can, but I think it would be best if one member talks to one member. See if any of the other members are up.”

            Woohyun nodded silently and glanced at Sungyeol. His breathing hitched when he saw Sungyeol’s tear-stained cheeks.

            What exactly happened between the two of them?

            Sungyeol’s eyes felt so tired. All he wanted to do was sleep at that time, and he didn’t really want to talk to anyone about what had happened. He didn’t need anyone else to tell him how much of an idiot he was.

            He wanted to sleep and not wake up the next morning. He was not ready to do any schedules, and he was not ready to face the world as Infinite tomorrow with Sunggyu in the same room.

            He saw Jungryul tell Woohyun something, but everything was just drowned out.

            He was still in shock. He couldn’t believe what he had done, and all of the worst scenarios played in his head. He couldn’t take anything in. He didn’t even notice when Jungryul had patted him on the back and left to bring Sunggyu home.

            While Sungyeol was having another mental breakdown, Woohyun quickly walked into Dongwoo and Hoya’s room. He knew that Dongwoo was also close with Sunggyu, and that with the members fighting, Dongwoo would never be able to sleep until he knew everyone was alright. Dongwoo would be able to talk with Sunggyu.

            Woohyun saw Dongwoo laying his head on the side of Hoya’s bed with his eyes closed, but he knew that Dongwoo wasn’t sleep.

            “Dongwoo,” he whispered.

            Dongwoo’s eyes immediately shot open and looked towards the door. He saw Woohyun and stood up quietly, trying to not wake up Hoya, who had just managed to fall asleep.

            “Is everything alright?” he asked as soon as he had walked out into the hallway with Woohyun. He closed the door before facing Woohyun, waiting for the answer.

            Woohyun looked back at Sungyeol, who still hadn’t moved by the door. Sungyeol was staring at the ground and breathing heavily.

            Dongwoo followed Woohyun’s eyes and cringed.

            “They didn’t work things out, did they?” he assumed.

            Woohyun shook his head.

            “I don’t think so,” he whispered,” Jungryul’s on his way to bring Sunggyu back. I’m going to try and console Sungyeol. Can you take care of Sunggyu? We don’t know what state he’ll come back in.”

            Dongwoo looked back at Sungyeol sadly and nodded.

            “Alright, I’ll wait out here for Sunggyu. You should bring Sungyeol into your room. I’ll try to get Sunggyu to sleep in my room tonight. Myungsoo can sleep alone. He’ll be fine.”  

            Woohyun mouthed his thanks to Dongwoo, and the two of them parted their ways. Woohyun went to get Sungyeol, and Dongwoo went back into his room to wake up Hoya.

            They both sighed as they stood in front of the person they were looking for.

            Tonight was going to be a difficult night.