29

what is infinite

            Lying down on the couch in the recording room and listening to Sunggyu sing songs from his upcoming solo album was a dream that Sungyeol had. It was something that he had always wanted to do.

            He closed his eyes, and he let Sunggyu’s voice drown out everything else he was thinking about. The only thing on his mind was Sunggyu: Sunggyu and his small, adorable eyes, his soft, milky skin, his cute chubby cheeks, and his wonderful, wonderful voice. He was truly glad that Sunggyu had asked him to come along with him to this recording. The vocal teacher had even helped him with his singing this morning, before Sunggyu’s recording had begun. He had sung some parts of Infinite’s older songs, and the vocal teacher showed him some tricks and things to practice to help improve his vocals. Sunggyu sat right in the room Sungyeol was in right now, and he shot Sungyeol thumbs ups and beautiful smiles to let him know that he was doing well. It was Sungyeol’s habit to look at Sunggyu whenever he sang to make sure he was doing well, anyway.

            Sunggyu was his very own idol when it came to singing. Sungyeol admired Sunggyu a lot, but there was no way that Sungyeol would admit to that. Not in public or during interviews anyway. Maybe it was obvious that he looked up to Sunggyu, maybe it wasn’t. Either way, Sungyeol was not about to tell the entire world that he thought so much of Sunggyu. If Dongwoo couldn’t handle that news, then he doubted the fans would handle it very well. He’d get teased for weeks.

            He remembered when they were just starting out and training for debut as Infinite, and he had gaped his mouth open in surprise the first time he heard Sunggyu sing. Dongwoo saw that, and he didn’t stop opening his mouth to tease Sungyeol about it until Sungyeol caught Dongwoo staring at a picture of Hoya, and threatened to tell everyone about his crush on him. After that, Dongwoo stopped making jokes at him about Sunggyu, and Sungyeol would like to think that Dongwoo had forgotten all about his awe at Sunggyu’s singing.

            Sungyeol smiled at the old memories from training. It was a difficult but fun time. They all got to know each other better, and they learned who they matched with the most. Sungyeol and Myungsoo clicked instantly, as did Sunggyu and Woohyun. Dongwoo and Sungjong pretty much worked well with anybody, but Hoya took some time to work well with everyone. He had preferred to work and dance by himself, but after a while, he found that being in a group and having partners made him better as well. He was always looking forward, and knowing that he’d have to be in a group with the other six members for a pretty long time; he decided to try to be friends with them all. This only led to him finding out that he loved each and every member like a brother (some more than others). If the old Hoya saw the current Hoya, he’d probably hit him and laugh at him becoming such a sissy, but every one of them had changed since then. Most of them changed for the better anyway.

            Sungyeol opened his eyes, frowning a bit.

            Woohyun was better, but then…

            Sungyeol sat up and sighed. He didn’t want to think of it.

            Woohyun had said he was getting better, right?

            Sungyeol hoped he was getting better. He saw him eat this morning, so at least Woohyun was eating now. He thought about other ways to make sure that Woohyun was getting better, but none came to mind. He had never been in this kind of situation. Everyone in his family, especially his handsome younger brother, never had any problems with their self-esteem or weight. Though Sungyeol had some issues once in a while, it didn’t go as far as purging. He had starved himself that once summer, sure, but he definitely learned his lesson now. He sighed again. He just wanted Woohyun to be ok.

            The singing in the background stopped, and Sungyeol immediately looked up to see what was going on. He had blanked out during the last song that Sunggyu had just sung.

            When he looked up, he saw that Sunggyu had taken off the headphones for recording and was looking at Sungyeol with furrowed eyebrows.

            ‘Are you ok?’ he mouthed.

            Sungyeol smiled and nodded.

            However, it was a small nod and a small smile, and Sunggyu was obvious dissatisfied with the unusually tame Sungyeol. He set down the headphones onto the music stand and stood up, asking the vocal teacher for a five minute break.

            The vocal teacher looked back at Sungyeol and then back to Sunggyu. He smiled, a bit knowingly, and told Sunggyu that since they were so close to lunch, that they could just begin the lunch break early. They had already run through the entire album a couple of times. It was another mini-album. If this went well, the CEO had talked about possibilities for a full album, and the simple thought of having a full album made Sunggyu had butterflies in his stomach.

            He walked over to Sungyeol and stood in front of him, crouching down to the younger.

            “Do you want to go to the café across the street? I heard they make pretty good coffee,” he suggested.

            Sunggyu smiled as Sungyeol’s eyes lit up at the mention of coffee. They had cut down his coffee intake a while ago, but he still enjoyed it whenever he got the chance to drink some. Sunggyu usually wouldn’t have been the one to offer to get him some coffee. It was usually Woohyun or Myungsoo, sometimes Dongwoo, but it was never Sunggyu, who was the one who was in charge of his intake anyway. The other members usually had to ask him first to be able to even buy some coffee for Sungyeol. This was another first, and Sungyeol was getting a warm feeling in his heart from it.

            Sungyeol nodded as quickly as he could and jumped off of his seat.

            “Let’s go!”