Who Are You?

Summer Love.

Myungsoo was a few steps in front of his door. He was excited to finally see his parents and his brother. 

Surely, they weren't expecting him. He told them he was coming home a week later. But it seems that the school had made a mistake in the schedules and they were set to go home a week earlier than what they had usually planned.

Myungsoo didn't bother writing a letter anymore. Since, it would arrive late. So he decided to surprise his parents.

When he was in front of the door, he excitedly knocked and waited for someone to open. But a minute had passed and no one was coming.

He decided to knock louder until he heard a female voice say "I'm coming!".

That was not his mother's voice. The voice was younger. 

Myungsoo tapped his foot at each passing second until the door opened at 16, revealing a young girl, about his age. She was pretty--pretty plain. But the longer you would look at her, the prettier she gets. 

But before Myungsoo could be mesmerized by her beauty, he snapped out and wondered aloud, "who are you?"

It sounded rather harsh, and the girl was completely taken aback, which caused her to grow irritated at the young man who harshly asked her.

"Who are you?" she replied in the same tone Myungsoo used.

"Me? I live here. You? What are you doing in my house?"

"House?" the girl wondered. "Omona! You must be Myungsoo! But...I thought you won't be here until next week..."

"Well, that doesn't matter, I'm here now, aren't you going to open the door and let me in my own home?" Myungsoo said, growing irritated as he was still carrying his heavy bags.

"Gee, you don't have to be so harsh, I live here too," she said and opened the door, letting Myungsoo in, she didn't bother helping him with his luggage.

Myungsoo stopped walking down the hall and turned to gape at her.

"Live here?" he repeated. "What are you talking about?"

"Noona!" a voice of a little boy called out in the living room just before the girl could explain.

"Is that Jihoo?" Myungsoo said, ignoring the girl.

Myungsoo speed walked towards the living room and found his three and a half year old brother playing with blocks on the carpet floor.

"Jihoooo!" Myungsoo said childishly and ran towards his younger brother, carrying him into his arms.

The little boy was clueless over the happenings, didn't cry or laugh. He was confused. Either he forgot his hyung, or he didn't really have much memories of his hyung, since he was still very young.

"Noona!" the boy cried, raising his arms motioning for the girl, as Myungsoo settled him properly in his arms.

The girl almost hesitantly picked Jihoo from Myungsoo's arms as she saw the disappointed look on Myungsoo's face. But the look on Jihoo's face made it unbearable for her to ignore.

As the girl was cooing little Jihoo, Myungsoo looked at her with questioning eyes.

"Okay, who are you?"Myungsoo tried to say.

But as the girl opened , the front door opened and footsteps could be heard approaching the living room.

"We're home!" two people chorused from the hall.

As the two people entered the room, they were shocked to find that they're son whom they haven't seen for almost a year, was home!

"Myungsoo ah!" the woman exclaimed.

"Umma, appa," Myungsoo acknowledged and bowed.

The woman let go of her bag and ran towards her son and hugged him and kissed him.

"Ummaaaa..." Myungsoo whined, embarrassed, as the girl was giggling at the show in front of her.

As Myungsoo's mom let go of him, he was then instantly enveloped into his father's arms.

"I missed you, son," his father said.

"Wait a minute, I thought you wouldn't be home til' next week?" his mother mused as his father let go of him.

"Uh, we were let go earlier," Myungsoo sheepishly said while scratching the back of his neck.

"Why didn't you write? We could have picked you up!" his father exclaimed.

"Uhh, you'd receive the letter later, so I decided to surprise you," Myungsoo stated. "Surprise!"

"Nice one, son," his father chuckled. "Now, come on, let's get you ready for lunch."

"Are you hungry, Myungsoo ah? Or are you tired? You can go rest first and I'll help you unpack your stuff later," his mother added.

"Nah, I'll just unpack now and go get changed and eat lunch with you guys," Myungsoo said. "I missed eating with you guys...and I'm not that tired. I'm too excited to be back."

"Good," his mother said. "Come on, yeobo. Let's get Myungsoo's stuff back to his room."

As Myungsoo and his dad were carrying Myungsoo's bags on his room, Myungsoo remembered the girl downstairs with his brother.

"Appa, who's the girl?"

"Oh, she's--"

But before Myungsoo's father could answer, his mom had called, asking what they wanted to eat for lunch.

Myungsoo's father replied with their favorites and soon, the topic of the girl and her name was forgotten.

---

At the dining table, they were joined by the same girl. Myungsoo's parents ate on both ends of the table, while the girl was sitting across Myungsoo with Jihoo beside her. She seemed to be really close to Jihoo since the little boy was resisiting being fed by their mother, only the girl could feed him.

"Uh, mom, dad...I just want to ask...who is she?" Myungsoo asked as the silence except for the sound of the utensils on plate could be heard. 

He's been asking that question since he's arrived, but when it was the other person's turn to answer, they always get cut off.

"Oh, you don't know each other yet?" Myungsoo's mom said. "I thought you were already pass introductions when we arrived."

"Uh, no," Myungsoo said.

Myungsoo's dad looked at the girl and nodded at her, the girl nodded back and looked at Myungsoo.

"I'm Jung Ji Min and I'm Jihoo's nanny, slash housekeeper, for the summer," she said.

Awkward. It was awkward. Never introduce or ask for someone's identity in front of the table or while eating. Ever again.

"She lives with us during the summer," Myungsoo's mom said. "She's exactly two months younger than you."

"Nice to finally get to know your name," Myungsoo said, somewhat sarcastically, and gave her a fake smile, plus an eye smile.

Myungsoo didn't seem to enjoy the presence of another girl in the house. What's worse is that she was around his age. 

Myungsoo didn't know what it was like to be around girls anymore. Heck, he didn't even remember if he ever had a friend which was a girl. He didn't even have a girlfriend yet. Oh the perks of living with boys.

Is 10 months in school too long that he had forgotten his friends outside school?