Chapter 5

A Thousand Years

Dang!

Sunggyu threw his alarm clock down forcefully when it rang like forever in his ears. He blinked for a few times to make his sight clearer. After his sight was back, he looked around and no one was in the room, he should be sleeping with Dongwoo and Myungsoo. So he got up and walked out of the room, found that those other members were gathering outside, laughing, throwing a joke to each other and many else. And of course, their lost fairy, Kelly was there. His heart suddenly rustled as he saw that girl smiled at him. Yeah, Kelly gazed him up and smiled directly to him. What a nice morning, he thought.

“You’re up, hyung? Hoya made many kinds of toast, have some…” Sungjong offered a pile of toasts with many kinds of flavor. He grabbed a single toast and chewed it greedily.

“We have no schedule except for Woohyun and…” Sunggyu stopped to think.

“I have,” Myungsoo cut Sunggyu’s words. “We have schedule except you, hyung.” Sungyeol seemed not to be interested about it.

“Alright, I will sleep all day long then…”

Sunggyu went back to his bedroom and didn’t go out until 3 hours later, when he found out that no one was in the dorm except the lonely Kelly, sitting in the living room, watching TV in curious. Again, she gazed him up but this time she didn’t smile.

“They’re gone?” Sunggyu asked.

“Why are you so serious watching the TV?” Sunggyu asked again. “I’ve never watched this kind of thing before. Woohyun Oppa told me earlier that this thing called tevelision.” Kelly explained in detail. Sunggyu almost spurted his water from his mouth as he heard Kelly pronounced it wrong. “It’s television, not tevelision. Anyway, have you eaten?” he asked.

“Yes, you should eat, Oppa. You only had a bite of toast this morning. I made you a glass of milk, it’s on the dining table.” Kelly pointed at the table. “Whoa, it must be delicious since you made it. Thanks,” Sunggyu grabbed the glass and drank it in one gulp.

“I’ve listened to your songs, Sungjong gave me this thing. What is this, Oppa?” Kelly showed her handphone to Sunggyu. Sunggyu didn’t answer but looked at Kelly in a long duration, “So tell me, is this real? You really came from the… err… woods?”

“The story is too long, I don’t even know the complete one. What I do know right now is I came from the woods. My oppa brought me to this place because he thought this is the safest place, there is a problem now and the matter is I don’t know what it is.”

Sunggyu nodded, he might understand but he was still curious about Kelly.

“Oppa, do you have a girlfriend?” Kelly suddenly asked the question that made Sunggyu’s eyebrow went up. “Ugh, it’s not that I don’t have a girlfriend, but we are forbidden to have a girlfriend. Our fans will be disappointed if we have a girlfriend…”

“Oh, I see.” Kelly nodded.

“Kelly, tell me about yourself or your family, I’m deadly curious.”

For a moment, Kelly stoned until Sunggyu waved his palm in front of her face. “Are you alright, Kelly?”

“Oh yes of course! Nothing, I suddenly miss my family. I have 4 older brothers and also parents. The brothers love me so much, they always take care of me well. Living with you sometimes reminds me of my brothers.” Kelly expressed her feeling. Sunggyu patted Kelly’s head, “What your brothers usually do with you?” He asked.

“The way you pat my head, reminds me a lot of them…” Kelly touched her head where Sunggyu patted his hand to. Sunggyu smiled and giggled a bit, “Like this, uh?” He even repeated it again. He felt glad that Kelly loved it. He should do it often then, if he wanted to steal Kelly’s attention. His silly mind came up to his brain.

“Sooner or later, we will tell our managers about you. But, you don’t need to worry because I will maintain you here, we will do.”

“Thanks, I really thank you a lot…”

“No need,”

Sunggyu stood up, “Let’s have some fresh air outside.” He grabbed Kelly’s wrist and pulled her out of the dorm. Sunggyu knew, Kelly didn’t lie about living in woods and wearing a gown every day, so he was going to buy some clothes for her.

“Where are we going? Why do you wear that cap?” Kelly asked when Sunggyu came afterwards. She was waiting for him in front of the door. “We don’t want to get caught by the fans, do we? Let’s go,”

They didn’t have any vehicles so the only choice was, riding a bus. He planned to take her to department store to buy her some clothes. 10 minutes later, they were already in the bus and sat next to each other in silence. No one would mind to start the conversation yet. Sunggyu thought really hard about how to start it, but when he turned his head to face Kelly, this girl was sightseeing the scenery outside the window. She seemed to love it, she even asked him, “Is it real?” and Sunggyu had nothing to do except nodded enthusiastically.

They arrived at the department store, Kelly felt relief that no one here recognized Sunggyu. She knew how popular they were right now. Anyway, this place was kind of new for her so she just sat down on the bench not far from the spot where Sunggyu was. She paid attention to Sunggyu, he was choosing this cloth and that cloth from corner to corner like a pro. Kelly didn’t really care until Sunggyu showed himself directly in front of her, bringing many pairs of clothes for Kelly.

“Try this, I think the size fits you…” he wanted Kelly to try on these clothes one by one. “All of them?” she asked unbelievably. Sunggyu gave his “sure” sight to Kelly, he didn’t need to answer this one with word, he thought.

Kelly smiled. Sunggyu was too nice, she thought. She couldn’t refuse this, the clothes were all pretty. She wanted to try them on. She brought all of them to the fitting room and put them all. As she went out, Sunggyu almost shrieked of cringe because of Kelly’s fabulous outfits. Actually it’s not fabulous, Kelly put all of them on, in this case, it’s really all of them.

“Wow, awesome. The size fits you perfectly.” Sunggyu clapped his hands.

“Am I pretty?”

“Of course you are! But this is not what I mean, you wear all of them, you shouldn’t be greedy, girl. I mean… aish just forget it, you look pretty. The most important thing is the size. We take all of this. You like it, right?” Sunggyu looked frustrated indeed. “I love it, there’s no reason to hate it.” She blurted sincerely.

After getting the confirmation that Kelly loved them all, Sunggyu brought them to the cashier and paid. Kelly stood behind him patiently, playing her pointed and middle finger on Sunggyu’s back like a kiddo. “Done, where should we go now?”

“Ah, I know this would happen…” Sunggyu talked to himself all over again.

“Ne, oppa?”

“By any chance, do you wear bra before wearing your gown?” Sunggyu felt ashamed with his un-manner question. Kelly raised her tone purposely, “Bra? Yes, you don’t have to get me those. It’s okay…” Sunggyu knew Kelly was trying to by raising her tone, he couldn’t lose. Kelly handled the matter first, “Just do not talk about this anymore.” But she still giggled no matter what, it made Sunggyu pouted his lips. “Aa okay okay…” she ended it up.

“Are you hungry?”

“Yes, I am hungry, leader oppa!” Kelly answered in a full spirit. Sunggyu gave her a wide smile then held her hand. Kelly was a little bit startled by Sunggyu’s action towards her. Once in her life, she finally could feel her heart beat. Her heart was beating! And it was because of Sunggyu, should she thank him?

Kelly was still a human somehow, she had a heart but it didn’t work. She always thought it was a waste. She wanted to know how it felt to have her heart beating. Just once in her life.

“Kelly, are you alright? Are you tired?” Sunggyu shook Kelly’s arm to make sure she was alright.

“Me? Well, never better! Oppa, I’m very hungry, come on!” Kelly shouted. Sunggyu was totally petrified with high-tension-Kelly.

 

Many dishes were served in front of them, started from the appetizers, main dishes, and desserts but none of them looked delicious in Kelly’s eyes. All of them looked disgusting. Just by sniffing the smell, she felt nauseous all of sudden. She totally couldn’t continue to pretend that she loved it. She had to eat cow’s liver as soon as possible. Suddenly she remembered that she had no stock of livers left and also mammals blood she liked. She ate the rest of the livers last night to survive from dying.

“What are you waiting for? You said you were hungry, right?” Sunggyu stabbed the pork beef with his knife and fed her. Kelly shook her head instantly. “You are not hungry?” Sunggyu tried to understand Kelly’s expression.

“Yeah, I mean I’m hungry but I can’t eat these.” Finally she stated. Kelly caught the ‘I-don’t-know-what-are-you-talking-about’ in Sunggyu’s face. This time, she should explain it.

“If you give me time to go, I’ll eat something, and be here with full stomach. I promise, I will never groan for food for 2 days.”

Sunggyu stopped her by putting his palms up as high as his chin, “No, of course you have to eat. Forget about that promise, you must groan three times a day for food! Anyway, you don’t like the food? We can move. What do you like? Bread?”

Kelly sighed, she felt sorry to Sunggyu, “Oppa this is hard to explain. I’ve tried to survive by eating normal food just like you, but I keep throwing up. My stomach can’t digest it.” She hoped she didn’t lie.

Sunggyu was quite frustrated, how could she suddenly change her mind? “So, you have digestion problem?” He made it clearer. He even lowered his tone so Kelly didn’t get scared. But Kelly once again sighed as she knew this would happen. “Fine, I will eat these all after that you have to tell me what do you eat, promise?” Sunggyu extended his pinky finger to Kelly. Kelly thought for a while, then she just twisted it to Sunggyu’s.

As he said, Sunggyu ate all of the dishes without leaving a single spoon of them. Kelly convinced herself that Sunggyu would never tell anyone about this, so she had the confidence to open up this secret to him. Sunggyu finished. It was like a second, waiting for Sunggyu paid the bill. He was now standing right in front of Kelly.

“Ok, what do you want to eat? You must be hungry right?” Sunggyu took Kelly’s hand and held it tightly.

“Let’s go home then,” she asked. Sunggyu robbed his head; felt confusion, he didn’t know what Kelly really wanted actually so he just followed what she asked.

30 minutes later, they arrived at home. Kelly asked him to come into her room which actually was Sunggyu’s room. Sunggyu sat on the edge of the bed while waiting for Kelly. Kelly opened her luggage and took out a big box. The box was big and it had sting-rotten smell. Sunggyu almost threw up, he just couldn’t stand with the smell.

“What’s that?”

“It’s liver.” Kelly answered it. “What? Liver?” he was totally shocked. His previous room had smelt rotten just because of Kelly. Even he didn’t know what she did with the liver.

“I eat liver. I only eat liver…”

“No way!”

“Yes, I told you it’s hard to explain!” Kelly growled.

“So, cow’s liver in the fridge was gone because of you? You ate it? You cooked it?” Sunggyu asked again. Kelly nodded, “I just ate it without cooking it.”

“You’re crazy! Are you even a human?!”

“Sunggyu oppa… I’m immortal. I’m an unwilling child. I should be devastated from this world. My heart isn’t beating. I eat liver and drink mammals blood. I never sleep and I can’t be under the sun for a long time. I lived separately from human. I can’t grow old…” Kelly cried as she described herself to Sunggyu.

“Is it for real? Why are you here then? You said you lived separately from human, it means you’re dangerous for us. Why are you here then?!” Sunggyu pointed at her.

“I must be devastated. My family wants to hide me from a flock that wants to devastate me desperately. My brother brought me here because it’s the safest place for me.” Although all of the entire family didn’t tell her about The Chucks who were currently looking for her, she actually knew. She knew everything, she just pretended to be innocent.

Kelly wiped her tears, “Come on, Oppa. I’m not that dangerous. I don’t eat human.” She said miserably.

“You won’t kill us?”

“That’s no way, it’s an unforgivable sin ever.” She murmured. Sunggyu nodded, “Okay then, no wonder you’re quite old-fashioned. You said you’re immortal… so you can’t die? Even, if someone stabs you with a knife?”

“I may be hurt but I can’t die.”

Sunggyu nodded his head again. Now he understood. “Even if you’re dying, you will never die?” Sunggyu kept asking, he was very anxious about it. “I won’t. I won’t die because I’m immortal. There is an exception, if I’m devastated then it would be my end.” She explained.

“How… how to devastate you?”

Kelly raised one of her eyebrow, “You want to devastate me? Seriously?” she threatened.

“No, of course not... Look, if the flock’s coming here, we can prevent them from doing anything that threatens your safety…”

Kelly giggled, showing her white sharp teeth, “I’ll be very honored if you think it that way. If my head was detached from my neck and then they burn all of the parts of my body, I will totally die. I mean, I will disappear, forever.” She told Sunggyu with a joke tone but Sunggyu didn’t even laugh.

“They think the immortals are dangerous. If we’re not devastated, there will be many more immortals in this world. And the world will also probably be immortal too then. It affects to the population too, so they have to devastate those kinds of me.” She added with smile. Sunggyu sighed heavily, from now on he promised he would keep her safe. His feeling said she was kind and didn’t have any intentions to harm him and also the rest of the members.

“I never knew there is another world beside this world I am living now…” he said this unexpectedly.

“They are hidden somewhere, faraway from humans. You’ll never ever find them,” She mumbled, but Sunggyu heard it clearly, so he took a deep sight into Kelly’s eyes. The prettiest eyes he had ever seen. Her eyes, nose, lips, hair, and every single part of her body were perfect. He might realize that human would never be that perfect, as perfect as Kelly.

“Looking at me that way is way too dangerous, oppa. I may chew you into pieces,” Kelly snarled him, showing her white-sharp-teeth. Sunggyu widened his eyes, he was too scaredy-cat, excessively fearful of her. Kelly laughed so hard as she looked at Sunggyu’s scared face. “I won’t do that. But anyway if I’m starved to death one night, I might grab your liver out and eat it right away.” She smirked slyly.

“You, do not ever dare to harm me, or I will call that flock right away.”

Kelly laughed low toned. She showed him her puppy eyes then, “Oppa, I’m hungry…”

“I know, I’ll buy some livers for you. I’ll be right back…” Sunggyu stood up to get prepared.

“And the blood… any kinds of mammal. But I love grizzly bear the most,” she told. Sunggyu snorted while laughed at the same time, “There is no grizzly bear’s blood in the grocery, as you know, they even don’t sell any animals’ blood in their shop.”

Kelly pouted her lips, a little bit disappointed indeed, it must be hard to find grizzly bear outside the woods. She didn’t know that there was no single grizzly bear walked around the city, her life and Sunggyu’s life were different. “So, no blood is sold here?” again she expressed her disappointment to him.

“We can handle it, now I have to buy some livers for you first. Is it ok if I leave you alone?”

Kelly grumbled, but then she nodded she let Sunggyu left.

20 minutes later, Sunggyu came and brought what Kelly liked. Kelly followed him to the kitchen. She couldn’t wait to eat it. After Sunggyu put a pile of liver on the plate, he pushed the plate to Kelly, let her eat. “Eat it all,” Sunggyu said. Kelly stayed quiet, and so did Sunggyu. They stood still until Sunggyu’s cough purposely, “What are you waiting for?” he asked.

“Do you want to stay? I want to eat, you may vomit if you keep staying here, watching me eating like that…” she told him.

“It’s okay, I’m deadly curious about it.”

“Okay then,” she didn’t want to argue anymore and just started eating it like it was the most delicious, the most precious, and the most expensive food she had ever eaten. No sound heard except the sound of cud from her, no wonder she could eat it up just in a few second and asked for more. Sunggyu was too astonished watching her ate like that way, she was the fastest after all.

“Wow, that’s fabulous. How do you do that?”

“Give me more, oppa. I’m still hungry…” Kelly pointed out her empty plate.

“Well, let’s keep it for dinner. You ate exactly one kilogram already,” Sunggyu stood up, walked through her to the fridge, he was about to keep the rest of the livers in it. Kelly looked quite sad yet disappointed, but she decided to follow up Sunggyu’s rules. He held the control over this house.

As soon as Sunggyu off to his room, Kelly washed the dishes that piled up in the wash basin, the boys didn’t have time to wash it. Moreover, she knew how to do this, so she ended up washed the dishes.

About 10 minutes later, the door was opened and she could hear Sungjong’s voice came first. “Hello, baby!” he greeted Kelly as if Kelly was his little sister. He patted Kelly’s back too. “You’re so clever, Kelly.” Sungjong praised her. Kelly just smiled and kept on washing. After that, Sungjong was gone inside his room.

“Annyeong!” another boy greeted. He was Sungyeol. Hoya followed him at the back.

“Are you alone, Kelly yah?” Hoya asked, he fell himself to the comfortable sofa in the living room. “Sunggyu Oppa is in his room…” she answered.

“Sunggyu Hyung is totally a bad guy. How could he let Kelly wash the dishes while he slept as if he is the boss? Omo!” Sungyeol grumbled. He didn’t know that Sunggyu was already out from his room and stood right behind him. Sunggyu slapped Sungyeol’s head and snored behind his neck, “I was tidying your miserable room, why don’t you look yourself?” he sounded a little bit annoyed.

“I’m sorry, Hyung. I was just kidding…” Sungyeol grinned, held so much pain on his head because of Sunggyu’s slapping.

“No, Hyung… Sungyeol was totally serious with every single word he said.” Hoya laughed hard.

“Oh, stop quarrelling you both, I washed these because I’m the one who wanted it. Ok?”

Sunggyu gave Sungyeol his mean glare. Sungyeol chose to runaway into his room before the leader erupted his furious volcano. Again, Hoya just laughed, until another ones came in.

“What’s up…” Woohyun jumped happily inside the living room and almost fell to Hoya.

Myungsoo came up a minute after, along with Dongwoo. They walked through the ‘noisy’ living room and just greeted Kelly. Myungsoo deftly helped Kelly to tidy up the plates while Dongwoo and Sunggyu came up into a serious talk.

“Have you eaten?” Kelly asked. Myungsoo shook his head and kept doing his works.

Kelly asked louder than before to the rest of the members, “Have you guys eaten?” she asked.

“Nope!” they answered densely, even louder than her.

“Ah, I’ll make lunch for you then…” Kelly said cheerfully. Sunggyu quickly grabbed her wrist to stop her for a while, “What do you want to cook? You can cook? Just leave the kitchen and bundle up with them, I’ll make the lunch for them…” he whispered.

“But I can cook sausages and eggs. Yeah, maybe with malt toast and bacon…”

“Listen, you can probably cook that, but we have no sausages, nor bacons, nor toasts.”

Kelly was startled, “You don’t have any of them? Gosh,”

“Ok, so leave…” Sunggyu smiled while pushing Kelly’s back to the living room. “Ok, ok, I see oppa…” she finally said. After that, she didn’t disturb him anymore. He cooked with Myungsoo and Dongwoo seriously in the kitchen. She was listening to Woohyun’s and Hoya’s terrible jokes.

 

***