Chapter 23

A Thousand Years

That night, Sunggyu went home after promoting his single to KBS Super Junior Kiss the Radio. He was exhausted and had no energy left in his body. His body seemed to be weaker as the schedule was getting busier. Moreover he was also helping the sub unit of Infinite, Hoya and Dongwoo, to prepare their up-coming single. It was too late to have a dinner and too early to have a breakfast, so he decided to sleep and ignore his stomach which craving for food.

Sunggyu stopped to tidy up the messy shoes shelf. The other members never put their shoes into the right place and just threw them wherever they liked.

He thought that the other members had gone to sleep, but they were still awaked and sat on the living room. It seemed weird, but he continued walking to his bedroom, ignoring them.

“Hyung, if you’re hungry, just go out and have some food.” Sungyeol shouted from outside. Sunggyu didn’t answer, but he was sure they knew that Sunggyu would do it if he was hungry. So he changed his outfit to T-shirt and pajama’s pants without noticing that it was suddenly quiet outside. Curious, he took a look and true, no one was there except…

Kelly was there! She was here and there looking for something. That was what Sunggyu caught from his sight. He wanted to hug her from the back, but he suddenly blew his cheesy mind.

“What are you doing here? Where are the other members?” Sunggyu finally voiced up. Kelly who got shocked by the voice, turned back and found out Sunggyu was right about five steps behind her. She stepped back.

“Why are you stepping back? Do you think I would eat you?” Sunggyu walked closer to her. She kept stepping back. To be honest, she was very afraid with Sunggyu that time. She didn’t know why she could get trapped here with only Sunggyu in this house. A minute ago, the noisy members were still there but Dongwoo picked her up from the manager house to Infinite dorm and put her here.

“Umm… they said… you… you… took something from my room and… and… they said to take it back… they said… it is placed… in… in… your r… rrooom…” Kelly hardly told her motivation of being in Infinite dorm at this time. “Me? Taking your thing from your room? What?” Sunggyu turned around; he looked so dumb.

“I don’t know… right…” Kelly shook her head in nervousness.

“Just tell me the truth, Kelly ah…” Sunggyu sighed.

Kelly widened her eyes. “You know me already, Oppa?” she asked unbelievably. Her heart began to beat faster than before. Actually her heart had already started beating ever since the battle happened. That was the reason why she became un-immortal anymore.

“The hell when did I say I didn’t know you?” Sunggyu was getting closer to her. She could hear the sound of his breathing. He might be as nervous as her. The fact that they knew each other and got the same feeling, they surely couldn’t resist it. Sunggyu still had that feeling for Kelly, as Kelly did.

“Oppa, you said you didn’t remember me at all… that time… I remember…” she said. Sunggyu sighed as he remembered also when he said that he didn’t know Kelly that time. Anyway it had been a week since he broke up with Jiyoon which actually wasn’t a “broke up”. He didn’t love her, could he tell that they broke up? No ever way.

“Anyway, I won’t disturb you for ‘looking your thing’. I just checked why it was so calm outside and I was about to eat something before I sleep. But I lost my appetite already. Go… go on looking for your thing.” He blabbered.

“They told me if you want to eat something, go to the balcony… if…  you want…” Kelly continued being stuttered. Her brain wasn’t working well today especially when she met Sunggyu face to face like this. She got into the wrong timing and the wrong place. So she pretended to look for something again while Sunggyu checked the balcony she told him before. He was being so curious.

“Kelly, what’s this?” Sunggyu stoned in the border of the sliding door.

“What’s what?” she was confused but she walked closer to Sunggyu to see what Sunggyu meant by. As soon as she reached the balcony, she was startled. A set of table with two chairs, complete with the dishes and wine on the table. There were also two pieces of candles and a pot of red rose which made it looked even more romantic. Moreover, the scenery of the night Seoul in front of them really supported the situation right now.

“You prepared this?” Kelly asked Sunggyu innocently. Sunggyu threw his glare to Kelly, how could she ask that? He was the one who supposed to ask her about this. This was totally not him. “Aish, just tell me the truth…” Kelly giggled; she tried to but it failed anyway. He showed his-not-good-face to her right away. He just wanted Kelly to believe that it wasn’t his work anyhow.

“I just came here. Hyoan Oppa drove me here and all of them went out, so I really don’t know about this. I didn’t set this up.” Kelly answered when she knew Sunggyu glared at her once again, trying to figure out if she was lying or not about setting up this romantic table dinner. But it didn’t seem like Kelly, she wouldn’t do this. She was too innocent to know about romantic dinner or what. So he decided to stop being suspicious with her. And one more thing he just knew, Kelly stayed in Infinite’s managers’ house. He felt betrayed!

Sunggyu went into his room and brought something out. A pot of yellow tulip that looked so familiar. It was Kelly’s. Sunggyu brought it up to Seoul because he worried that he might forget all of his memories with Kelly, at least the yellow tulip would keep him remembered about her.

Kelly widened her eyes as she saw the yellow tulip, which always stayed on the edge of her window, was right in front of her. In fact, Sunggyu brought it with him. She couldn’t hide her smile after all. She was so happy she could die. She thought her mom threw it up to somewhere before Sunggyu even read the letter yet. Right! The letter! Sunggyu must have read it.

“Why is this tulip with you, Oppa?” she asked, pretending that she knew everything already.

“Why would I?” Sunggyu gave the tulip back to Kelly, but Kelly refused it. “Answer me first. You said you didn’t remember me at all. Is it true or did you just pretend like you didn’t notice me before? What’s with this tulip then?” she kept asking.

“Was it wrong if I pretended like I didn’t know you before? You left me after I told you my feelings. You didn’t even show up for the past ten months. What were you doing?” He finally got the brave to ask her. He deadly wanted to know her reason for leaving him like that with only a piece of letter.

“I was really sorry back then because I didn’t tell you what was going on. My dad was being arrested with The Chucks and I thought I had to save him. So I went out with Seungho Oppa without even telling anybody even my mom. That day I asked Yonghwa Oppa to take care of you and the rest of members until all of you arrived safely to Seoul in behalf of me.” She told him.

“So you went to save your dad?” he asked.

“Oppa, I’m really sorry to tell you about this just now. I really wanted to tell before I left, but I was afraid if they harmed you and the others. So I decided to go secretly.” Kelly bowed down her head. Truthfully, she felt kind of guilty towards Sunggyu.

“Well, if you just told me the truth that time… I would help you no matter what.” Sunggyu sighed. He was so screwed and his mind folded up shortly so he couldn’t think well. He felt embarrassed because of his childish un-manner attitude. He should have thought positively, but he didn’t.

“I never expect anything from you, Oppa. Knowing you live well without me is enough for me. I’m serious… and I’m glad to meet you today, as Kelly. Kelly that you know before,” Kelly smiled in a deep thought. “I’m sorry,” he didn’t know, if it was right to say ‘I’m sorry’ to her just like this or not. He knew Kelly must have been suffering a lot by herself.

Sunggyu was also in a deep thought but suddenly he realized that they had been standing in the balcony like for a long time. So he pulled the chair and let Kelly sit without putting down his manner.

“What a beautiful night…” Kelly mumbled and Sunggyu nodded, agreeing Kelly’s statement. The night was so starry and looked so peaceful; everybody could look at the sky for a long time even it dropped until the bright sky greeted them. It was so quiet for about some time, until Sunggyu got the courage to say something left unspoken before.

“Once again I’m sorry, Kelly.” Sunggyu said it in fully regretful.

“For what? You did anything wrong to me?” Kelly jokingly asked.

“For pretending that I didn’t know you and hurting your feeling because of my poor and childish attitude.” He said from the bottom of his heart. Kelly knew Sunggyu seriously felt regretful because of his foolishness, so she had nothing to argue anymore. This was a rare moment so she wanted to enjoy it together with Sunggyu, because she might not get the chance to be in Sunggyu’s side anymore. Kelly smiled widely to Sunggyu.

“Oppa, you suppose to have dinner with Jiyoon Unnie here, but you end up being with me like this…” Kelly said.

“Jiyoon and I are nothing. We don’t date like what you think… we don’t love each other…” Sunggyu said while looking straight to Kelly’s eyes, hoping Kelly wouldn’t misunderstand about his true feeling. He had to admit it, his feelings towards Kelly had never changed a bit. He thought about her like almost every time. The song he sang ’60 second’ was meant for Kelly. He sang while thinking about her, that’s why he sounded so emotionally when he was singing that song.

“Oppa and Jiyoon Unnie aren’t dating? So what kind of relationship you have? Ah… it’s not like I really want to know about your private stuff, it’s ok if you hesitate to tell me.” Kelly smirked. Sunggyu chuckled; he didn’t know if he did right or wrong but he pour some kind of red wine to Kelly’s glass and his glass. Suddenly he remembered that Kelly used to drink blood, not something like this.

“I drink this also. The color looked like blood somehow…” Kelly said.

“Really?” Sunggyu drank it in one gulp. He was paying attention to Kelly as she began to slurp the red wine. She really drank it anyway. It was good to see Kelly had adapted well in human surroundings but he still worried if she got indigestion.

“Actually my feeling will never change. It’s still the same and will still be the same like that. Me and Jiyoon, tch… I tried so hard to forget you like you’ve written in your letter, I learned to love someone else but not you, I tried to survive without you. And Jiyoonie, she just came in the perfect time to my life. We were getting closer day by day and thought it was love.” Sunggyu said while looking at the dark sky.

“I know, I don’t have any deeper feeling for her but she innocently put her whole heart to me without knowing the fact that I don’t have that kind of feeling. When I saw you in the café a few days ago, I got the courage to tell Jiyoon about my true feeling. She got upset but the next day, she texted me and told me that she was alright and gave fully support to me for my promoting…” he told, Kelly listened to him carefully.

Kelly nodded enthusiastically, “Me too, I love your new album and listen to it like almost every time. I never get bored. Oppa’s voice is really amazing,” she smiled super wide.

“Really? Aish, I really feel bad because I acted stupidly before. I should have known someday you’ll come but I thought you left and never came back.” Sunggyu hit his own head. “I would do the same if I were you. I thought I would die and never come back. It’s a relief to know that I’m still alive,” Kelly puffed her cheeks to avoid her eyes from being teary.

“It’s also a relief to see you so close like this…” Sunggyu almost slipped his hand from touching Kelly’s head. He shouldn’t do something cheesy like that after his stupidity action which was so unforgivable.

“Let’s eat.” Sunggyu smiled.

 

***