Chapter 17

A Thousand Years

It was 12 in the afternoon. The snow had already stopped but the cold still remained. The house was quiet, you could only hear the sound of something being cooked on the stove. Yes, Jooyeon was busily cooking something. This time she didn’t cook bread for lunch. Because today was the last day the Infinite members stayed at their house, she wanted to cook something different before their going. She even had the eggplants, lettuces, kimchi, and many other vegetables written oh her recipes.

All of the people in the house were outside, in the garden, playing with the snow. But there was something not usual; they didn’t see Kelly ever since they got up in the morning. Sunggyu had already asked Zico and Junhyung, even Yonghwa, but they said Kelly had gone to hunt a grizzly bear with Seungho. Usually, they would hunt in the early morning and come back before breakfast time. And it was nearly lunch time, she hadn’t come back yet.

“Grizzly bears are now getting harder and harder to be found. Many hunters come and go just to kill them. They want their furs because it’s so expensive if you sell them. It may cost as expensive as a car.” Junhyung giggled. He didn’t seem worried at all.

“It’s alright, as long as she goes with Seungho Hyung, it will be alright.” Zico added as well.

“Kelly loves winter grizzly bear.” Yonghwa also said. No wonder, Grizzly bears ate a lot in winter.

“But seriously, you don’t have to worry. Kelly and Seungho will be fine. They might go too far to eastern. The things I know, there were three waterfalls and five big rivers. It must be hard for Seungho Hyung and Kelly to get through them. It commonly takes three days to go and come back.” Said Junhyung, he must be the smartest among the siblings.

“But, she will be here tomorrow right?” Sungjong helped Sunggyu out.

“Yeah, Seungho Hyung can run as fast as thunder…” Zico giggled.

However, until night was getting late, Kelly and Seungho hadn’t come back yet. Sunggyu was too anxious that he couldn’t even blink his eyes. He ended up walking around Kelly’s room. He smiled when he looked at Kelly’s cute and flowery stuff. She must like flowers very much, no wonder their garden was full of flowers. Even on the edge of her bedroom’s window, there was a pot of yellow tulip. Sunggyu giggled when he suddenly imagined Kelly sat next to the window and stared at the flower.

Sunggyu was about to leave when he saw something like pink colored envelope under the pot. He took it. As he had expected before, there was a letter inside. That was from Kelly, but it seemed strange because it was a letter for him, Kim Sunggyu. He remembered Kelly couldn’t write and read well, but she sent him a letter?

 

Hello, Kim Sunggyu Oppa the leader of Infinite…

Oppa, this is Kelly. You must be startled right, reading this letter? Seungho Oppa helped me to write it down.

Ah, anyway… You’re going to come back to Seoul tomorrow and I might not be here to say farewell words for you and the other oppas. Oh, that’s too bad seriously… There’s something I have to do outside with Seungho Oppa right now. Oppa won’t be mad because of this right? I hope so.

I promise to come back as soon as possible, but it probably is a waste because I might not be able to come on time before you get going. It takes normally three until four days to reach back home and with Seungho Oppa, we can make it at least two days. But, you sure can’t expect anything. It might be over four days or many days… I can’t tell.

I’m sorry, Oppa. At first I thought it was our fate to live our life individually, separately, forgetting about each other memories. Yeah, just like we used to live. But I don’t know and we don’t know either. Time will show us everything, later.

Although I can’t see you for the last time, but I want to make sure you won’t forget to eat well, that’s the only way you could live your life. And don’t think about me too often, really, I don’t deserve it. You have to focus on your carrier, get married, have babies, and live happily ever after with the girl you love until the end of your time.

Your confession to me last night… I promise I will never forget it, Oppa. It was the first and might be the last thing I could hear from you. Trust me, oppa… You will be in my heart, soul, and mind, Sunggyu Oppa.

This might be my final decision not to meet you before your leaving. It would be hard for me and for you to let go each other in this kind of way.

Oppa, let’s meet after you get to use living without me. If you succeed forgetting about me and about our bittersweet memories, also when you’re ready to introduce your girl to me as your fiancée, I will come to meet you personally. You can keep our promise, right? I trust Oppa.

Ahh, seriously… I want to say more but Seungho Oppa keeps grumbling. What to do aish…

Okay, let’s end it up to here. I have to go before the sun rises or the grizzly bears won’t show up anymore.

Goodnight, Oppa…

 

Kelly

 

Sunggyu’s brain couldn’t work properly so he read it all over again until he almost memorized every line of her letter. Seriously, he wanted to see Kelly himself. Was it real? Was it really Kelly who sent him this letter through this pot near her window? Because it seemed like it wasn’t Kelly after all. Just yesterday they confessed each other’s feeling and she left him right away? Was it finished just like this? Was it their fate? Seriously he couldn’t hold back his curiousness.

“Did you just leave like that, uh, Kelly ah?” Sunggyu sighed. He couldn’t cry although he really wanted to. But it didn’t last forever because in the next minute, he cried out of his sadness and disappointment. It was just too unbelievable that Kelly had already left him. He could conclude himself that Kelly didn’t want Sunggyu to be in her life anymore and she also didn’t want to be in Sunggyu’s life. She even asked him to get married and have babies with other girl, not him.

We’re different, we’re different so that we can’t be together. Kelly had a thousand or maybe a billion years more to live, meanwhile me…’ he positively thought. He deeply sighed.

Sunggyu put “There’s something I want to give, but it seemed too late. But I’m unsure if I should give it or not. Kelly wants to erase her memories about me right? Maybe she won’t need it…” he put the necklace back to the box. He wouldn’t give to Kelly, but he would just put the box near the tulip’s pot. So the memories of them could remain there.

 

***