Chapter 15

A Thousand Years

It’s the fourth day Infinite members stayed in Kelly’s pretty and silent house. Every morning, they woke up and sniffed the smell of delicious breads which were being baked in the kitchen. Jooyeon, Kelly’s mom, always made fresh bread every morning for the entire people in the house. Kelly usually helped her, but this morning she was hunting grizzly bear with Junhyung. The grizzly bears liked dark places and they usually lived near the river, where they hunted for fish.

Sungjong, as always, he always got up the earliest among the others. He finished taking a bath and went to kitchen. He actually wanted to ask where Kelly was, but he ended up helping Kelly’s mom stirring the dough. Anyway, he loved doing it. He always wanted to learn how to cook.

“Kelly was hunting a grizzly bear with Junhyung. She loves it very much…” Jooyeon answered when Sungjong didn’t even ask it. It seemed like Jooyeon could read Sungjong’s facial expression. So, shyly, Sungjong nodded and back to his stirring.

That time, Sunggyu, Sungyeol, and Yonghwa went downstairs. They took a peek to the kitchen and wowed to Sungjong that actually had the cooking skill. After teasing Sungjong, they sat in the living room. There was no TV, radio, or any electronic devices. That house wasn’t old-fashioned. They still had furniture and many other things, even electricity. So, here they were, silent in the silence.

“Somehow living here is quite helpful to avoid the boisterousness living in the city…” Sungyeol inhaled the fresh oxygen as much as his lung could fit.

“We avoid living in the city. It was too dangerous for us…” Yonghwa said.

“Anyway, where’s Kelly?” Sunggyu looked around to find Kelly, but she was nowhere in the house.

“I don’t know. Maybe… she’s going with Zico or Jun—“

“Hey, I’m here.” Zico, one of the twin brothers cut Yonghwa’s words. He went into the kitchen and grabbed some pretzels for him to eat. Then, he sat next to Sunggyu; he offered some pretzel in his big hand to Sunggyu and he only took a piece.

“They went to the dark forest to hunt a grizzly bear… or some grizzly bear?” Zico looked so funny with his head sideway. Sungyeol and Sunggyu didn’t seem to believe it, but looking at Zico’s pure face, he couldn’t be lying. Aside, Yonghwa laughed so loudly. “She loves grizzly bears. Don’t be shocked if she goes home with some grizzly bear behind her. The grizzl—“

“Hey, I’m homed.” Kelly greeted them cheerfully. Sunggyu and Sungyeol took a look behind Kelly’s back even looked outside the house from the window. There was no grizzly bears like what Yonghwa had said to them. It was only Kelly, yeah… Kelly and Junhyung. Junhyung smiled to them, “Hey guys, hey hyung, hey twins…” Junhyung waved something. Sunggyu knew it very well. It was liver, but the size was way bigger than cow liver he usually bought in the market.

“I got a grizzly bear. It was hard to lose him. Junhyung Oppa was nearly his end…” Kelly slapped Junhyung’s shoulder softly. “You should have asked me instead of him. I hunt better,” Zico was being proud to his own self.

“Oh, Sunggyu Oppa. You got up early today…” Kelly smiled widely when she knew Sunggyu was there, sat between Yonghwa and Sungyeol.

“Good morning, gongjunim…” Sunggyu replied her smiled. (gongjunim meant princess)

“Aish, should we leave?” Zico stood up already and dragged his twin brother to the kitchen. Yonghwa and Sungyeol giggled together. Kelly was about to sit when Jooyeon called them up to have their breakfast together. Kelly, Sunggyu, and Sungyeol walked straightly to the dining table, while Yonghwa went upstairs to call the other members.

This was the first time Kelly ate bread, not liver. Her mom got worried all of sudden, but Kelly convinced them all that she could eat it without getting indigestion.

The rest of the boys went downstairs and joined them in the super large dining table. Seungho was there, still wearing his pajama and looked totally sleepy. His hair was in mess because he just got up and he felt lazy to tidy up. Kelly looked at him for so long, wondering why was he doing here? He should be with their dad in the Chuckhill. It was a sacred place just for The Chucks. But she decided to ask him later after finishing their breakfast.

“Kelly, why do you eat bread?” Seungho asked her when he saw Kelly ate bread just like them.

“I love bread.” She answered briefly.

They ate more than usually, somehow it made Jooyeon smiled like forever when she knew that everyone loved her fresh homemade bread. Although she was quite worried when Kelly ate her bread, but nothing happened after that. Kelly was alright. She didn’t feel nauseous, dizzy, indigestion, nor faint. It was interesting because Kelly really couldn’t eat anything else except liver. She drank milk too, fresh milk and really nothing happened.

“Oppa, where’s dad?” Kelly asked when Seungho was about to take the newspaper in the terrace. Seungho didn’t answer. He tried to find the best reason to answer it; Kelly knew.

“Oppa, don’t lie to me…” she showed her straight face as her unpleasant.

“You said dad would come tomorrow. The day after he didn’t come and you said maybe tomorrow. The day after tomorrow he didn’t come and he would never come, wouldn’t he? Tell me the truth, where is he?” Kelly begged. Seungho sighed heavily. He knew someday Kelly would ask about this whether to him or Yonghwa.

“Kelly, let’s talk about this in dad’s room—“

“Kelly, let’s pick some flowers today…” Sunggyu came from outside; he was about to ask her to pick some flowers but he realized the time wasn’t right. So, Sunggyu walked back to leave them alone. Kelly felt sorry, but she was curious to death. She had to know where her dad was. She missed him and he wasn’t at home.

Seungho brought her to their dad’s room. It was his private room. The room was full with so many books and looked so tidy. Kelly sat on his dad’s chair, Seungho sat on the sofa not far from Kelly.

The door was opened, “Ah, I don’t mean to interfere, but I have to interfere.” Yonghwa came and looked at them one by one. Of course, Yonghwa could read everyone’s mind in this house. It was no surprising if he stood up here to ‘interfere’ Kelly’s and Seungho’s private talk.

“Oppa, just tell me the truth. Both of you.”

“Mmh, it’s not like I don’t want to tell you, Kelly. But, dad prohibited us to tell you. We didn’t know you would dare to come back here. You know, it’s way too dangerous, Kelly.” Seungho said.

“Yeah, how could you be such a short minded girl…” Yonghwa shook his head wisely. Her two brothers were here. The two wisest brothers she ever had. Seungho with his leadership ability and Yonghwa who was very clever, neat, and also elegant in everything he did. And she was just a girl with nothing to be proud of, just an immortal girl.

“Oppa…” she begged.

“Ah, actually dad is being arrested by The Chucks. But, it doesn’t matter. I tell you the truth, dad is ok. He’s alright. He said he missed you and he would soon come to meet you…” Seungho told her. Yonghwa still kept quiet. He nodded after Seungho said that. “Dad is being arrested? What’s the matter? It’s such a non sense if they arrest our dad with no reason.” Kelly stood unaware.

“Ssh, mom will scold us if they know we tell you about this…” Yonghwa bulged out his eyes to remind Kelly.

“She’s been suffering a lot you know…” Seungho exhaled a deep breath through his mouth. Kelly was getting more anxious. She had some thoughts in her mind, but she was too afraid to tell their brothers. If it just she remembered that Yonghwa could read her mind.

“Of course it’s not because of you… it’s just… uhm… they really want to meet you but we keep refusing…” Yonghwa finally said. “I don’t want to get them into trouble again...” Kelly watched out the window where she could see them all played cheerfully outside.

“Yeah, they’re just a bunch of innocent humans. We can’t get them even further.” Seungho wisely said. Yonghwa nodded as he agreed.

“We’re thinking how to solve this, Kelly ah. We can’t be reckless like seriously.” Seungho warned her and also Yonghwa as well. “Sooner or later they will attack us, direct or indirectly.” Yonghwa closed his eyes.

“Let’s fight then…” Kelly smiled.

 

***