Past.

Across The Canvas.

 

So I have Rae’s paintbrush, but where do I go and find her? Will she be at the beach again? Where was I going to go and find her? Other than the beach?

Is the name Rae very common? Lee Rae Young and now another Rae… Hold on, they are both painters? Rae dropped her paintbrush with initials of R.Y, could she be Lee Rae Young?

That is quite possible. I remembered in the small display area at the art gallery, there were a lot of paintings of the sunrise. There was a very high possibility that Rae, the lady I met was Lee Rae Young!

She was the one who said that my painting was ugly! She was the one who stopped my passion and desire to express myself through paint. She was the one she made me hate art lessons. She destroyed my entire interest in art.

Just with that one word. That one hurtful word. It stung so badly, as a child, praises were often encouraged and I rarely heard anything negative. I guess my parents wanted to boost my self-esteem and confidence. That was until Lee Rae Young showed up. She was a cute pretty little girl until she took my art piece and said it was ‘ugly’. I can never forget the day she said it. I went home and cry my heart out and told my mother I didn’t want to attend art lessons anymore.

It was all because of Lee Rae Young. And now after such a long time, we have crossed paths again.

Maybe it was time I went to the art gallery again.

 

Lee Rae Young’s POV

After my encounter with the singer, I went to look him up on the internet and listened to his songs. I was right; he was indeed the same Cho Kyuhyun that I knew when we were in kindergarten.

My impression of him hasn’t change since we were young; he still had an incredible voice. How am I going to apologize to him to what happen when we were younger?

Will he still remember me? Maybe he had forgotten what had happened between us. Maybe he doesn’t even know me. Maybe I shouldn’t even bring this topic back up.

I was on my way to the art gallery when I saw Kyuhyun hanging out outside the art gallery.

“Cho K-Kyuhyun?” I called out.

He immediately looked up at my direction. He didn’t have a really good expression on his face, I wonder why.

“Good afternoon. Why are you here?” I asked him.

He scoffed. “Lee. Rae. Young. Am I right?” He narrowed his eyes at me.

Did I do or say something wrong? What was with his attitude and tone of voice? Wait a minute, how does he know my full name? Did he figure out who I was?

“Yes, I am Lee Rae Young. Are you here to see my paintings?” I was curious.

“No.” Was the flat voice of Cho Kyuhyun.

I furrowed my brows, “Then what are you doing here? Are you going to get me another set of foldable chair and easel? Your fans damaged my set.” I whined.

He took a deep breath “Do you remember on the day I met helped you at the corner of the street and you gave me a travel size pack of paints? And I told you I didn’t paint? Do you know why? All this years, I hated art lessons; I skipped and avoided all art lessons.” He said.

Don’t tell me, it’s because of me?

“W-Why?” I asked stupidly.

“IT WAS BECAUSE OF YOU!” He shouted.

I blinked. Twice.

“You remembered?”

“Remembered what?” He asked. “I want you to tell me the exact event of what you are remembering now.”

I sighed. “It’s because I called your art piece ugly, right?” It’s not his fault; I understand his reason for shouting at me.

His eyes widened. “At least you still remembered the correct event.” He hissed.

“It was a misunderstanding!” I argued.

“How can that be a misunderstanding?”

“It is a misunderstanding! Trust me!” I said.

Kyuhyun kept quiet.

“When I was a little girl, my older male cousin told me that ugly was a word to describe something that was pretty and beautiful.” I admitted.

“So during art lesson that day, I wanted to talk to you. I decided to use your art piece as a way of starting a conversation so I took it and said it was ‘ugly’ but I really meant for it be pretty. You draw really well; your sketches were really nice if I could remember correctly.” I still remembered his pencil shading, it was good.

“I thought you would be happy with my comment but you burst into tears and it was only when I reached home then I found out the truth; that I was tricked by my older male cousin and that I had hurt you. I wanted to apologize to you the very next day but I never see you in any of the art lessons anymore.” By the end of this confession, my head was already looking to the ground.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry for saying the word ugly at your art piece. I didn’t mean it, I really didn’t.” I said, still looking towards the ground.

There was silence.

Fingers grazed my chin and made me looked back up to Kyuhyun. “You are forgiven.” Kyuhyun said with a small grin.

I broke into a smile. “Really? I thought you were going to be super mad at me. I’m really sorry! I really didn’t mean it.” I repeated my words.

“You were not lying right? I could sense your honesty through your confession.” Kyuhyun said as he pulled me into a hug.

“Of course. This is one hundred percent truth. I’m really happy to meet you again after so many years. I can finally lift this burden off my shoulders. You have no idea how bad I felt about the entire situation.” I said as I too s my arms around Kyuhyun.

We were kindergarten classmates. And now after close to twenty years, we reunited.

“That’s nice to clarify everything. Or else I would have hated you all my life.”

“Can you still draw?” I asked.

“I don’t know. The last time I did was in kindergarten.” He said as he pulled away.

I thought for a while.

“Let me give this to the owner of the art gallery and then I’ll bring you to somewhere. You’re free right?

“Yeah, I am.” Kyuhyun nodded.

Leaning in, I pecked his cheek before running off to give my latest painting to the owner of the art gallery.

 

Cho Kyuhyun’s POV

 

She pecked me. My hands rose immediately to the spot where she pecked me; my cheek. Blood flushed into my face as I felt myself blushing.

I shook my head and followed her into the art gallery.

“There, three sets of painting this time round.” I heard her telling the owner of the art gallery.

“Wow, that’s great. Oh! Mr Cho! Miss Lee, this was the guy who bought your most expensive painting.” The owner said to Rae Young as he pointed to me.

Rae Young turned to me with a shocked look on her face. “You were the one who bought my most expensive painting?”

I nodded hesitantly. “Yah! Cho Kyuhyun!” She exclaimed.

I got startled by her reaction. “W-Why?”

“You two know each other?” The owner said as I nodded.

Rae Young walked up to me, “Do you even know the meaning behind the painting?” She asked.

“I thought it looked rather nice so I bought it. My mother wanted a nice painting for her friend.” I admitted.

“So you bought it without any thinking? You didn’t view the painting at all?” She was getting a little agitated.

“I saw it. I liked it. I bought it.” I said with a smug grin.

She shook her head. “You bought it with no feelings of wanting to appreciate my painting. I want you to return the painting.”

“What?” I was taken aback, even the owner of the art gallery was a little surprised at Rae Young’s words.

“You want me to return the painting? But my mother gave it off to someone who can appreciate art.”

“Is that true?”

“Yeah. Her good friend collects paintings and likes to analyse them. Don’t worry; your painting is in good hands. I can bring you to see the friend if you are that concerned.”

Rae Young took a deep breath. “I didn’t mean to flare up like that just now. I’m sorry. I’m just quite cynical of my own way of selling art pieces.” She said as she clasped her palms together.

“It’s fine. I know you group of painters have a weird temper.” I sarcastically said it in her face.

“Whhhhhhat?” She glared at me.

I laughed at her reaction. Tugging her fringe behind her ear, “I was kidding. You have an adorable temper.” I said.

It was her turn to blush.

“Are you two dating each other?” The owner of the art gallery suddenly asked. “Cause previously, Miss Lee said she wasn’t attached.”

I turned to look at Rae Young. “Yeah we’re dating!” I said as I grabbed her hand and left the place. “Thank you! We’ll drop by another day!” I shouted as I dragged Rae Young out of there.

“So where are you bringing me?” I asked Rae Young.

There was no answer. I got pulled back as I turned to Rae Young.

She was staring at our hands. I let go immediately. “I was just playing around earlier on.” I said.

“Unless you want it to happen? I don’t mind.” I said, lowering my face so I could look at her at eye level.

She blinked.

“Y-You told him we are dating? Are you out of your mind?” She was clearly not into the joke.

“Why not? I think we look rather compatible.” I thought Rae Young looked really attractive; my friend had shown a picture of Rae Young to me when she was in middle school and gone were the spectacles and braces, she had grown into a beautiful woman.

“Even still, how can you say that? How about my image?” She questioned.

“I bought your most expensive painting, alright!” I argued.

“I didn’t ask you to buy it!” She debated.

“Rae.”

“I don’t want to talk to you.” She pouted and walked off.

I quickly ran after her and held her wrist. “Rae, look. I’m sorry alright? I-I was just being foolish. My fault, okay? We reunited after such a long time. Don’t be angry, please?” I said.

“Why did you say we were dating?”

“B-Because I like you.” I confessed. “Before that incident, I thought you were a really sweet girl and I looked forward to art lessons until you said the wrong thing.”

“I hated you all my life but after hearing your confession and after meeting you again, I’m attracted to you.”

“I know I was being stupid but I really-..”

“I like you too, Cho Kyuhyun. When I was a little girl, I looked forward to art lessons too.” She said with crimson red cheeks. “I was so happy when I found out that you were that little Cho Kyuhyun in my art class and we actually met after close to twenty years.”

“Really?”

Rae Young nodded. “Your voice was the one which attracted me to you from the beginning. I heard you singing in the kindergarten concert; your voice was lovely.”

I grinned. “I saw you painting during our first art lesson, that’s why I wanted to sit next to you.”

“After all these years…” She muttered.

I pulled her by her elbow into a tight hug. “I missed your smile.” I whispered to her.

“I thought you hated me?” She said as she too wrapped her arms around my waist.

“But your smile was captivating.”

Rae Young buried her face in the crook of my neck as I smelled her hair.

“Yours too.”

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey readers *waves*

I wanted to fast forward this story a bit. So yeahhhhhhhh. I'll be away from the 20th-26th! I'll be in Thailand! (Only going there after Kyuhyun left. Sigh.) 

Anywayyyy, COOMMMMMMENNNNNNTTT!

 

Xoxo.