Hospital.

Across The Canvas.

 

All I see is a very bright white light that was flashing in my face. Like how the cameras flashed at me the other time at the airport. There was numbness at the back of my head. I felt like I slept for a very long time.

I open my eyes. Did somebody switched off the lights? Why is it pitch black? I blinked a couple of times, slowly. Nothing. I see nothing. Everything is in darkness and not the kind where you can see shadows but all I see is pitch black, absolute darkness. I rubbed my eyes and opened them again, still the same, nothing but darkness.

My hands searched the darkness, waving in the air. This is strange.

“R-Rae?”

I recognized that voice at once. “K-Kyu?”

Kyuhyun suddenly shifted and sat next to me on the bed. “W-Where am I-I?” I asked, confused by the entire situation.

“You’re in the hospital. Remember what happened? To protect me, you got hit on the head with a glass bottle.” He said with a hint of anger in his tone of voice.

“A glass bottle? No wonder it numbs. Kyu, why is the light switched off?” I questioned.

“What?” He sounded shocked.

“The lights, I can’t see anyth-I can’t see anything! I can’t see! I can’t see!!” I squirmed in the bed as I rubbed my eyes, trying to see, blinking them again and again but nothing changed. Kyuhyun came and placed his arm around my shoulders, bringing me close to him so I won’t move much but I couldn’t take it.

“Rae! The doctor did say that you might lose your vision but this is only temporary. It is not forever!” He said, holding me down.

“I can’t see. I can’t see.” I said, slowly calming down. I hate to let Kyuhyun see myself in this state, in this miserable state.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be here. I’ll be by your side. I’m so sorry, it’s my entire fault.” He said, placing his chin on my shoulders as he hugged me tightly.

“L-Like you said, it’s only temporary right?” I was trying to be strong.

“Yes, it’s only temporary.” He said encouragingly.

“Rae!” Kim Mi’s voice pierced the room. “Oh my goodness, how are you? Are you alright?”

“The doctor was right, she lost her vision.” Kyuhyun explained to Kim Mi.

“Oh honey, I’m so sorry!” She said, sitting on the other side.

I searched for her hand as she quickly placed them in mine. “I’ll be fine.” I croaked.

“Kyu? Can you go call the doctor? I want to speak with him or her.” I turned and asked him.

“S-Sure.”

 

Cho Kyuhyun’s POV

 

“S-Sure.” I said.

Upon opening the door, I turned to look at Rae Young one more time; she seemed to be so strong and aware of her condition earlier on.

When I look at her face, it was different. Terror and fear was shown across, her eyeballs staring at a certain object, as she held Kim Mi’s hand tightly.

“I-Is he gone?” She whispered.

I knew something was not right. I stepped back into the room silently as I pushed the door closed, letting her think that I left the room.

I signaled to Kim Mi to continue the conversation. “Y-Yeah, he left.” She answered, staring at me.

I stood by Rae’s bedside, watching her.

“Kim  Mi, what am I going to do?” She started. “I can’t see. I can’t see anything at all. When I woke up, everything was in total darkness. All I can ‘see’ is pitch black, not even a single shadow.” Rae was on the verge of breaking down.

“I want to s-see Kyu’s face so badly. I want to see him so badly!” She cried. “I-I can’t see his face! I can’t! What am I going to do, Kim Mi? I can’t see Kyu anymore! What am I going to do?”

My heart squeezed together as I saw the scene in front of me, Kim Mi looked at me, teary-eyed, and I too was tearing. Seeing Rae Young so helpless, so vulnerable, my heart wrenched.

“I knew this day would come, sooner or later.” Rae Young stated.

“But this is only temporary and it’s because you saved Kyuhyun!” Kim Mi debated.

“How long is temporary? A day? A week? A month? A year?” Rae Young argued. “I won’t be able to paint anymore. I am going to be a useless person who has to rely on someone else for everything! This was why I wanted to leave Kyu so badly! I don’t want to be dependent on him; I don’t want him to feel burdened with me. He is already so busy with work, how can I ask so much from him at once? I just want to see his face again. I just- Oh my goodness, Kim Mi, when Kyu and I were quarreling the other day, I shouted at him, I told him I didn’t want to see him again. And now it has become true! Kim Mi! I want to see Kyu’s face! I want to see his face!” Rae Young cried and sobbed heavily as Kim Mi caressed her hand, squeezing her fingers tightly.

I couldn’t stand there and continued to watch, it was just too much to bear. I walked forward, sitting down next to her on her bed and pulled Rae Young into a tight embrace.

I heard a loud gasp. “Oh my goodness!!! K-K-Kyu?????!!”

“You silly girl. You silly girl! I’m so angry with you. How can you continue to act strong in times like these? How can you be so stubborn?! Lean on me, be dependent on me! We are a married couple! Cho Rae Young, do you even know what you just said?” I scolded her as I brushed her hair, keeping her as close to me as possible.

“Y-You heard everything? I thought you went- Kim Mi! Why didn’t you tell me?!”

“I’m sorry, Rae. I think Kyuhyun has the right to know! I’ll let you two be alone for a while; I’ll go find the doctor.” Kim Mi said as she left the room.

I pulled away and looked and Rae. Her face was covered with tears, hair sticking onto her cheeks and all. I wiped her tears away and kissed her cheeks. “I’ll always be here for you. In sickness and in health.” I said affirmatively.

I took Rae Young’s hand and placed them on my cheek, “Touch my face, and remember how it’s like.”

Rae Young stared at something else as her hands cupped my cheek, thumbs brushing my cheekbones. She leaned in closely and unsurely, placing her lips on top of her thumb, removing her thumb and kissed my cheek. “I-I love you.” She whispered.

I smiled. “I love you too, so much more than my own life.”

Rae Young smiled as I tilted my head and kissed her lips. Her fingers knotted themselves in my hair as my arms wrapped round her.

“I’ll be by your side, no matter what happens.” I said to her as I kissed her tears away.

“I-I should have told you everything.” Rae Young said softly.

“It’s alright. All that is over. Now we just have to get you recovered.” I said, brushing her hair.

“Will you forgive me?” Rae Young asked, hand clutching onto my arm.

“I want you to know that I wasn’t angry with you. I was angry by the actions you did. That you didn’t tell me about your issues. But this incident was my fault; I didn’t protect you from it.” I said calmly.

Rae Young’s hands went up my shoulder, towards my neck and eventually rested on my cheek. “It’s not your fault; we didn’t expect it to happen.”

“My manager called me earlier to warn me about him but I didn’t care and that’s why you are here.”

“Who is he?” Rae Young asked.

“Remember Da Jin? The one who wanted to compete with me to win best album? He was a sore loser and didn’t accept defeat. He has gone mad.”

“Oh dear!” Rae Young gasped.

“He hasn’t been caught yet but not to worry, I’ll be here, right by your side.”

"I’m so lucky to have you as my husband.” She said while gently rubbing my cheek.

“You should be lucky. I’m just glad you are safe in my arms now.” I said, soothing her lower back.

“Mmmmm.”

 

Da Jin’s POV

 

Your wife saved you from my attack, count yourself lucky but it is not over yet, Cho Kyuhyun. 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey readers *waves*

WOOHOOO, the previous chapter was such a cliffhanger, wasn't it? Heh. DRAMA DRAMA!

Commmmmmment!

 

Xoxo.