54

Just When I Thought I Was Over You
 

LIV

 

 

By the time Kai reached his room, he immediately closed the door and threw his bag on the nearest chair before diving onto his bed.

“Damn! What was she thinking? Does she even know how bad it looks like for a girl sleeping over at a guy’s place especially if it’s just the two of them, even if they’re friends?”

Kai tossed his pillows on the floor, on the wall, on the ceiling, anywhere where he could slap the pillow hard. He didn’t care. No one would hear him anyway or even witness his emotional tantrum because Seyoon was gone and he was alone now, all alone.

Just seeing Seyoon as she was being grabbed by Kris and left the theater, just looking at her as she turned her head to look at him one last time, he knew he should have stopped her right there and then. But he didn’t and even if he wanted to turn back the time he knew he couldn’t. And now Seyoon was together with him, with that tall, Mr. Got-It-All, whatever-his-relationship-with-Seyoon guy.

Kai buried his head on the remaining pillow on his bed. “I should’ve stopped her,” he mumbled.

 

~*~

“What?” they all asked in unison when Seyoon said that she wouldn’t be coming home for the rest of the weekend.

“Actually, we’re—” But even before Seyoon was going to say something, Kris cut her off.

“You heard her. She’ll be away for the weekend because she’s staying with me,” Kris announced with his usual emotionless face. Seyoon glared at him but even before she could protest, Kris already grabbed her hand. “Let’s go. We don’t have enough time.”

The rests watched them go without even having the chance to say anything or to protest. Seyoon looked at Kai one last time and Kai could see her apologetic face but he didn’t do anything to stop her.

“So Seyoon will sleep over at Kris’ place?” Luhan asked again.

“Nothing will happen. Nothing will happen. Chanyeol, stop thinking about it. Dirty thoughts go away,” Chanyeol kept repeating on himself when Baekhyun went to him and knocked his head.

“Babo! Stop talking. You’ll just continue thinking about it if you do,” Baekhyun said to him.

“Don’t worry too much about it. Even though that Kris guy looks scary, I don’t think he’ll do something to—”

“Nothing will happen to Seyoon,” Kai interrupted Xiumin. “We all know Seyoon. I am sure there’s a reason why she went with Kris. Seyoon will not…do anything.”

Sehun and Chanyeol noticed the worried tone on Kai’s voice. Even though he said and believed that nothing would happen, there was still a hint of worry and doubt in his voice, and also a hint of dejection. 

“Okay. I think we’ll just see each other on Monday. Don’t forget to read your scripts and study your characters,” Sehun said to them one final time before going to Kai and tapped his friend’s shoulder. “She’ll be fine. Let’s go.”

---

“Seriously Kris, why?” Seyoon glared at Kris. The two were seating inside the car which was parked in front of the place where Kris was staying. Kris was itching to go out but Seyoon started complaining and arguing about what happened earlier. “Why didn’t you let me explain anything to them?”

“What? What is there to explain?”

Seyoon looked at him in disbelief. “What is there to explain? Ahh…you said that I’ll be staying with you for the rest of the weekend…”

“Well, isn’t that true?”

“It’s true but you didn’t let me explain further. Just what are they going to think about me? About us?”

Kris let out a chuckle; his hands were still holding the steering wheel. “Why? Is there anything to think about?”

Seyoon glared at him which had Kris stopped whatever mocking laughing expression he had. Kris heaved a sigh before letting his hands go of the steering wheel and instead, find their way to Seyoon’s face, cupping her cheeks.

“Look at me. Okay, sorry if I didn’t let you explain anything to them. But you don’t want these ingredients we’ve brought from the grocery to spoil here, do you? We can’t just sit here and argue about your complaints. I still have to prepare our dinner for tonight. Come on princess,” he said while squeezing her cheeks.

“Stop it,” said Seyoon as she let go of Kris’ hands. “You have to do something,” she said as she crossed her arms and stared at the windshield.

“Alright,” Kris sighed. “You don’t have to worry about it. They will know eventually anyway if that’s what you wanted to happen.”

“Huh? What do you mean?”

~*~

 

Kai woke up the next day when the sun was already at its peak and the clock that was sitting on the nightstand beside him was already dancing in alarm because it was already a minute past twelve.

Kai stretched his arms and feet and noticed that he was still in his school uniform. He tried to sit and saw all the pillows lying around his room. He sighed before grabbing his phone under the remaining pillow in his bed. He was surprised to see a lot of missed calls waiting for him. Most of them were from his friends especially Baekhyun and Chanyeol and a few from his mother.

“Mom? Why would she call me?” he asked.

He put his phone on the nightstand before standing up and did a few morning stretches. He looked at himself on the mirror and he noticed how haggard-looking his face was and his hair disheveled like a bush squished by a truck or something.

When he was about to go to the bathroom to freshen up, his phone rang. He looked back and saw the name of his mother on the screen.

“Hello? Mom?”

“Jongin? Did you just wake up?”

“Uh, yeah. Why did you call?”

“Why? Is it wrong that I call my son just to say hello?”

“No…”

“Anyway, I saw Seyoon yesterday. I wasn’t able to greet her because your dad and I were inside the car and it happened that she was talking to someone else.”

“Wait, what? Where did you see her?”

“She’s…”

---

“What? So you slept here last night?!” Chanyeol asked happily after finding out that Seyoon was safe and harm free from the hands of Kris.

“Yeah. Sorry if I didn’t tell you guys about it. Kris is just…we’re in a hurry last night so—”

“Oh, you don’t know how worried I am. I thought you’re really staying with our scary play director. Thank goodness you’re here,” said Luhan as he tried to capture Seyoon in a hug but Chanyeol stopped him.

“He promised my parents that he’ll prepare dinner for them so we have to leave immediately.”

“Oh kids you are here. Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, Baekhyun, and Sehun, right?” Seyoon’s mother asked them as she entered their living room together with Kris and laid the breakfast she made for Seyoon’s friends on the table. The boys nodded at her and bowed to greet her. “And who is this new handsome face we have here?” she asked.

“I am Luhan. I am Seyoon’s friend. Nice to meet you Mrs. Jin,” Luhan bowed.

“Nice to meet you too. Oh well, these are the only food I could prepare today. Kris and I prepared it for you guys so don’t be shy. Just dig in and finish it all.”

“Thank you very much!” they said before sitting around the table and started eating.

Kris made his way between Chanyeol and Seyoon and sat beside her. Chanyeol wasn’t really surprise but definitely got pissed off with Kris’ constant blocking scheme between him and Seyoon. And even though he wanted to toss the table on Kris’ face, he couldn’t because Seyoon’s mother was somewhere inside their house and he knew he had to maintain his good image.

“So, I only ask for the student council members, what are these non-members doing here?” Kris asked as he looked at Luhan and Chanyeol. Chanyeol tried to protest but he restrained himself and just held his chopsticks tightly (though he wanted to stab it on his bowl of rice but that would be inappropriate). Luhan, on the other hand, looked at Kris, smiled and was about to say something but Seyoon started talking first.

“Just let them stay. Chanyeol has always been helping us even though he is not a member. Trust me, he’s a great helper. And Luhan, well, I really don’t know why he’s here—”

“Because I miss you, that’s why.”

“Missing Seyoon is not an excuse,” said Kris with his eyebrows furrowed.

“And I want to help the student council too. I think that’s a great excuse,” Luhan replied with his eyebrows more furrowed than Kris.

“You won’t look scary no matter what you do Luhan,” Seyoon said to him. “Kris, just let them stay okay. You owe me something yesterday, remember?”

“Alright. But if that two get on our way today,” Kris glared at the two of them. “I’ll send them home right away.”

“We won’t,” Chanyeol and Luhan stated firmly.

---

When Kai hung up the phone, he immediately when to the bathroom to have a shower and then changed to his casual clothes. He didn’t know if what he was doing was alright but just to make sure of what his mother said to him, he would go home today. Anyway, he and Seyoon were neighbors so there would be no trouble seeing her. And in case, Seyoon would ask why he was there, he could just reason out that he decided to go home to his parents’ house for the weekend. As simple as that. But what was bothering Kai was the fact that his mother saw Seyoon talking to someone yesterday. Her mother didn’t mention who it was the Seyoon was talking to but there was a chance that Kris was there too. And if he was, it meant that Kris and Seyoon’s parents knew each other.

To confirm everything, Kai decided to go home for the weekend to their main house. He grabbed his phone, house key, and his wallet. When he was about to lock the door of their apartment, his phone vibrated signaling for the incoming message.

“Chanyeol? He must be worried about Seyoon too,” he said as he looked at his phone screen and saw Chanyeol’s name all over his inbox. There were several messages prior to the one that he just received now. For the sake of calming his friend, he decided to tell him about Seyoon but when he opened Chanyeol’s message, he didn’t know that he would be the one to be surprised.

From Chanyeol:

|12:36 pm|

We’re currently having our lunch here in Seyoon’s house. You’re not answering your phone since a while ago. Please reply back if you read this message. I’ll be waiting. Nom, nom, nom.

“What? So he already knew about it?” Kai decided to read the rest of Chanyeol’s messages and was surprised that it wasn’t only Chanyeol who knew about Seyoon’s whereabouts but in fact, the rests of his friends including Luhan.

From Chanyeol:

|11:35 am|

Seyoon is helping her mother to prepare our lunch. I decided to help. Uhm, we decided to have beef stew for lunch. Yum! Yum! Yum!

|10:10 am|

Seyoon gave me back my phone. That bratty Kris is getting on my way. Argh! Anyway, we’re having a meeting about the play and that Kris wouldn’t take any of my suggestions. Brat! Anyway, please reply asap if you read this.

|10:01 am|

Whoever this person is texting to, I temporarily confiscated his phone because it is a distraction on our meeting. I hope you understand. Don’t worry. He’s currently sitting beside me. No harm done.

|9:12 am|

Kai? Are you still sleeping or what? They’re currently planning for the setting of the stage. Kris is in front of the computer together with Sehun. Seyoon, Kyungsoo, and Baekhyun are planning for the costume.

|8:12 am|

We just arrived at Seyoon’s house and her mother prepared breakfast for us. But the bad news Kai, Kris is the one who opened the door for us. Why is he here? WHY?!?!? >_<

|7:00 am|

We’re going there now. Kai, why wouldn’t you reply? Wake up!!!!

|6:30 am|

You didn’t reply huh? Are you still sleeping? Anyway, in case you don’t have any idea. We’re going to Seyoon’s house today. Yeah! Aren’t you coming? Please reply before 7.

|6:22 am|

Kai! Kai! Kai! Baekhyun said that they’ll have a meeting today and Seyoon will be there. Guess where? Guess where?

Kai read it and the rests of the messages that were also sent by Sehun, Kyungsoo, and Baekhyun. There was also one sent by Luhan.

He couldn’t wait any longer so he ran to the nearest bus stop. Whatever he would do for the next few minutes, he didn’t know. What’s important for him now was to go home. He didn’t know if he would drop by Seyoon’s house but the important thing was that they were only a few houses away from each other.

---

“I said stop texting. Do you want me to confiscate that phone again?” Kris asked Chanyeol angrily.

“Why? You’re not taking my suggestions anyway.”

Well, it was true that he was not taking Chanyeol’s suggestions since earlier but not for the reason that his suggestions were sloppy or bad. It’s just that it was out of this world extraterrestrial suggestion. And Kris didn’t know if Chanyeol’s world was actually different from theirs or his mind just worked differently.

“Okay. Stop that. Let him handle his phone Kris. We’re almost done anyway with the stage setting. And Chanyeol,” Seyoon faced Chanyeol who sitting beside Kris. “The reason why Kris didn’t take any of your suggestions is that we don’t have enough budgets for it.”

Chanyeol and Kris still exchanged glares and Seyoon knew that the two would just continue fighting if she wouldn’t separate them.

“Okay, Chanyeol and I will just wash the dishes while you (referring to Kris) check the design for the costumes that Kyungsoo, Baekhyun and I prepared. Is that okay?”

Chanyeol quickly stood up and went beside Seyoon. Kris sighed and looked at Chanyeol with a scowl before getting the designs from Kyungsoo’s hand.

“Let’s go.”

“Wait. Let me help too,” said Luhan, who stood up and followed Seyoon to the kitchen.

Luhan and Seyoon did most of the work while Chanyeol was standing at the corner waiting for the washed dishes to be given to him to dry them off.

After two hours, they all finished the plans and budget allocations for the play. Kris and Sehun did most of the work during the last hours while the rests started playing cards including Seyoon. It was already half past three when the boys went home.

From Chanyeol:

|3:47 pm|

We’re going home. Where were you the whole day? Are you still sleeping?

From Kai:

|3:48 pm|

I just c0me home.

From Chanyeol:

|3:50 pm|

What? Where did you come from last night? Did you go to a club or something?

From Kai:

|3:50 pm|

Pabo! I’m inside our house, the main house. I’m just a few houses away from Seyoon’s house.

From Chanyeol:

|4:02 pm|

What? Since when have you been there? Why didn’t you tell me? You should have dropped by earlier. >_<

From Kai:

|4:04 pm|

Been here since 1pm. I decided to just stay inside the house. So how’s your meeting?

From Chanyeol:

|4:07 pm|

Kai, pabo! pabo! pabo! You should’ve come. We just play cards. Kris and Sehun did most of the work. Aigoo! Baekhyun is kicking Sehun’s car chair right now because of frustration. You should be there.

From Kai:

|4:10 pm|

Sorry…

From Chanyeol:

|4:11 pm|

Is it because of Seyoon or because of Kris?

Chanyeol waited for the next message from Kai but he didn’t receive anything anymore after that. He closed his phone.

‘Must be both…’

---

“That would be great. We will be there after an hour,” Kai heard her mother talking to someone on the phone.

“Hey mister, stop burning the couch with your . Prepare yourself and get dress,” his mom said to him.

“Why?” Kai lifted his body into sitting position and faced his mother who was standing at the kitchen.

“I just tell Seyoon’s mother that you’re here so we decided to have a family dinner tonight. Besides, she said that she’ll introduce someone to us later. I’m so excited!”

Kai watched his mother wriggled of excitement as she went upstairs to get dress.

He admitted that he came here to see Seyoon but their distance was enough for him now. He just wanted to make sure that Seyoon was really staying in their house. But he was not ready yet to face her now.

He would see Seyoon later but he didn’t know how to face her. Seriously, things had been really awkward between them lately and Kris’ presence just made it worst each day. What was there to talk about anyway?

---

When they entered her house, he was expecting to see Seyoon but she was nowhere to be found, even Kris.

“Jongin-ah, I haven’t seen you in a while,” Seyoon’s mother greeted him.

“Nice to see you again aunty.” He bowed politely to her before his eyes scanned their house again.

“Seyoon and her friend are on the roof deck. I told them to prepare the table so we could have our dinner under the stars,” she said.

“Oh, that would be interesting and romantic,” Kai’s mother added.

“I know.”

Kai felt his mother nudging her. “Why don’t you go upstairs and help Seyoon?” she said to him.

“Alright.”

“Jongin, wait,” Seyoon’s mother called him. “Please bring these utensils.”

“I will.”

Kai went upstairs until he reached the fourth floor which served as the roof deck of the house. It didn’t take long before he found Seyoon arranging the table but Kris was also there helping her with the sheets. They didn’t notice his presence because he refused to show up anyway. He didn’t know how to greet them especially when they were currently talking in which Kai was able to hear some of it.

“You should decide Seyoon. You shouldn’t let your parents control your life for you,” he heard Kris said.

What were they talking about? He didn’t know but he wished he knew because the words he was hearing were somehow giving him a hint of what their conversation was all about.

“But I couldn’t just…I don’t know Kris. It’s hard to go against their rules.”

“But you are a grown up now. Come on, you should decide for yourself.”

“I wish I could but I just don’t know how to…how to tell them.”

“You don’t have enough time Seyoon. Would you just wait for it to happen then you’re stuck in a world where you don’t want to live in the first place. Okay, you don’t have to worry about it. I’ll be there with you if you wanted to tell them your decision. I’ll support you.”

“Thank you. I’ll think about it Kris.”

“You should. It’s for your future.”

For your future were the last words the Kai heard before he heard a voice coming from his back.

“What are you still doing there? Here. I forgot the plates,” Seyoon’s mother said to Kai as the two entered the roof deck.

Seyoon and Kris noticed their presence and Seyoon couldn’t hide the shock after seeing Kai.

“Here’s Mr. Dancing Machine,” she heard Kris muttered.

“Kai…”

“Hi. I just came home a while ago.”

“I know. Mom told me. I just didn’t expect you to be here at this time. Did you just came here or—”

“He just came here with your aunty. I asked Jongin to bring the utensils here so you could prepare it. Oh, by the way, Jongin, this is Kris,” Seyoon’s mother grabbed Kris arm and pulled him beside her.

“You don’t need to introduce us aunty. I already knew him. He is Seyoon’s schoolmate.”

“Oh right! I forgot that you’re helping Seyoon with their play. So you already know Jongin.”

“Of course, he’s one of the lead roles of the play anyway,” Kris announced with a smirk and sharp eyes directed to Kai.

Kai didn’t know if Kris’ face was permanently like that but whenever they saw each other, there was always a smug smile drawn on his face like he was mocking him or something. That was one of the reason why he didn’t like him.

“You got the lead role? Oh you’re so great!” Seyoon’s mother hugged Kai. “I’m proud of you.”

“Thank you.” Kai tried to at least loosen up from Seyoon’s mother’s embrace but it was too tight and he saw how Seyoon slightly smiled upon seeing him in that state.

“I have to leave you kids now because I still have to go down to start cooking. Make yourself at home Jongin,” she said before leaving Kai with Seyoon and Kris.

And there was an awkward silence…

---

“Kris right here is our Seyoon’s childhood friend,” Seyoon’s parents started introducing Kris to Kai’s parents.

The two, Kai and Seyoon, just watched them without joining the conversation. Kai could see how Kris was close to Seyoon’s parents. And there was a little jealousy creeping on Kai, not only because of Seyoon’s parents’ stories about the closeness of the two, but also on how Kris was a good conversant with the adults. He was mature, Kai could see especially on his demeanor and the wit with his words.

Kai wished he was like that so he could converse with them like him and so he wouldn’t leave out like what he was right now. Seyoon wasn’t talking either but Kai knew that she was on a more comfortable place. After all, she was the topic of the conversation so she could relate to them unlike him.

The conversation went on with Kris as the main topic of the conversation for the whole hour of their dinner. Kai was just thankful that there were times when his name was mentioned especially when her mother would boast how he helped Seyoon to adjust when she got to Korea for the first time. He could see how Seyoon would smile when their mothers recalled their times together. Kris would comment once or just stayed silent. Sometimes, Kai would notice Kris glancing at him with a visible smirk but Kai would immediately turn his head away. He didn’t want to have a longer eye contact with Kris. The man had eyes that he just couldn’t decipher. It seemed like he would eat him any time.

During their conversation, Kai found out that Kris and Seyoon were schoolmates in America and they only separated when Seyoon was sent to Korea. Seyoon’s mother also mentioned how the two cried when Kris sent them to the airport. They must be really close, Kai thought.

“So Kris-ssi, why are you here in Korea now?” Kai’s father asked.

“Well, I have to attend some university lectures and,” he paused and looked at Seyoon. “I kind of miss Seyoon so I decided to help her school for their upcoming school festival. That way, I could see her every day.”

Kai saw Seyoon smiling at Kris’ words about her.

“Actually, he’s their play director and Jongin is one of the main lead,” Seyoon’s mother announced.

“Really? Omo! That’s my son,” Kai mother boasted. “Please take care of him Kris-ssi. And if he acts awkwardly, don’t hesitate to tell him and correct him.”

“Mom…”

“Don’t worry. I will. But I don’t think he needs more coaching. He’s a great dancer,” he said.

Kai wondered if his words were true. He rolled his eyes, only to land on Seyoon’s whom he noticed was looking at him. But it didn’t take long because Seyoon averted her gaze somewhere after they made eye contact.

“Omma, I want some beer,” Seyoon’s father said to her mother.

“Aigoo, but we don’t have beer. You should’ve told me earlier.”

“I kind of craving for it too,” Kai’s father also said.

“Appa…” Kai heard her mother mumbled.

Kris let out a chuckle. “Don’t worry. I’ll go and buy it. And it’s my treat for this wonderful dinner you made for us.”

“Oh Kris-ssi, you don’t have to do it. Our Jongin will just buy it for us,” Kai’s father suggested.

“No. It’s okay. I am also looking forward to drink a can.”

“Alright. I’ll do it. Kris,” Seyoon extend her palm to Kris suggesting to give her the money.

“But you’re too small to carry loads of beer. Do you want me to accompany you?” Kris asked.

“Wait. Since it’s already dark, I’ll just go with her,” Kai suggested. Kris looked at him with his expressionless face but Kai didn’t let go and looked back at Kris with firm looks.

“Alright. Here’s the money. If you see anything you want just buy it.”

“Okay.” Seyoon looked at Kai. “Uh…let’s go,” she said softly.

Kai nodded before giving Kris one final glance. Again, his guess didn’t fail because Kris was also looking at him with the same smirk embedded on his face, only scarier than usual.

---

“I didn’t know that you and Kris are that close,” Kai decided to break the silence. It would be a long walk to the convenience store and he didn’t want the dead air hovering between him and Seyoon.

“Ah, yeah. We’re kind of inseparable when we were still young,” she said.

The two weren’t looking at each other but Kai would sometimes look at Seyoon through the corner of his eyes.

“It is kind of funny when you’re mother told how you and Kris cried when you two separated.”

He looked at her and she noticed her face turned red. Was it because of embarrassment or something else? He didn’t know. Maybe he didn’t want to know.

“Well, I don’t really imagine myself separating from him that time,” she said.

There was a few seconds pause before she spoke again. And she looked at him.

“I never thought I would like Korea that fully or like school for that matter because I wouldn’t be able to see him but then…I met you and Chanyeol and Baekhyun and Sehun and Kyungsoo. And life here has gotten better each day. Well, I really couldn’t compare Kris with my friends here because life during middle school and high school is surely different than those times when I was still in America. It’s a different kind of happiness. And maybe because I didn’t only gain one friend but a lot of you so…”

They stopped in front of the convenience store.

“So?” Kai asked.

“Thank you. Thank you for your company for the past four, almost five actually, years. Thank you for being my friend.”

She smiled.

Kai didn’t speak anymore because Seyoon opened the door for the two of them to enter. And they went back to her house with the heavy feeling lifted from their shoulders.

---

Kai felt a little dizzy but he still managed to walk from the bathroom to the roof deck. He was on the verge of getting intoxicated so he decided to stop.

When he got on the roof deck, their parents were still talking but Seyoon and Kris were nowhere in sight. He asked the adults of their whereabouts and Seyoon’s mother told him that Seyoon accompany Kris to his bedroom because the latter was already under the influence of alcohol.

“Hmm, he must have had a low alcohol tolerance.”

“If only your father and your uncle didn’t ask him to drink those cans there, he would really get intoxicated. He was just too kind to not turn down their offers,” her mother told him.

“I’ll go check him,” he said before dashing to Suho’s room where Kris was currently staying.

---

“Seriously Kris, you should lose some weight. You’re kind of heavy.”

“What? Hey, even though you’re my princess, talking about my weight is not an excuse.”

Seyoon tried to turn the knob to the room while her other hand was placed on Kris shoulder as his body weight was totally leaning on her.

She walked rather slowly because of his weight until they got near his bed.

“I’m kind of dizzy.”

“Hey don’t pass out here yet. We’re almost near your bed.”

“I know. I know.”

But when they got near his bed, Seyoon suddenly tripped from stepping on the carpet crease and the two fell on the bed with Kris on the top.

“Oh my goodness, you’re heavy,” Seyoon protested as she tried to move underneath Kris.

“Am I?” Kris propped himself up using his arms but he was still on top of Seyoon. “You’re lips look plumper today,” he said with a hiccup.

“Oh no. You’re totally drunk. Get off of me Kris.”

“Seriously. And you’re eyebrows, wow! Did you shape them?”

Seyoon gapes in surprise as she tried to cover her eyebrows. She didn’t shape it really but it was her mother who refused for it to be shaped in the salon.

“Can I,” Seyoon noticed that Kris’ head was getting nearer to her. “Can I,” his lips were protruding than usual. “Can I ki—”

Before Kris could even finish what he was about to say and before Seyoon could push him off of her when their faces were merely an inch apart, she just saw Kris being pulled away from him and she heard a loud blow. And Kris was already lying on the floor.

“What the heck?” Kris tried to stand up but his sight was too blurry, not because of the alcohol but because of the punch he received.

“What are you trying to do? You maniac!” said Kai who was breathing hard and looking at him with fierce eyes.

“What?” Seyoon heard Kris chuckle which made Kai’s anger heightened. “I’m not doing anything.”

“What? Obviously, you’re trying to do something to Seyoon? If I didn’t come here, who knows what you would do to her. You ert!” Kai bent down to grab Kris’ shirt but Seyoon stopped him.

“Stop. Please, don’t punch him anymore. He’s drunk Kai. He doesn’t know what he’s doing. Please, just let him go,” she pleaded. “Please.”

Kai let go of Kris but in turn, grabbed Seyoon’s hand and dragged her outside the room. “Let’s go. I’ll send you to your room,” he said to her.

Seyoon had one last glance at Kris who just nodded at her to tell her he was okay before she went with Kai.

Kai just let go of her hand when they were already in front of her room.

“Please don’t be mad at him,” Kai heard Seyoon said.

‘After what he had done, she was still protecting him. Is he that important to you, Seyoon?’ Kai thought.

Kai almost punched the wall behind Seyoon but it only landed as a loud thud. Both of his arms were resting on the wall behind Seyoon and Seyoon was captured between. Seyoon looked at him in surprise.

Kai closed his eyes and heaved a heavy sigh before opening them up again to look at Seyoon’s surprised and anxious face.

“Why didn’t you try to push him?” he asked with words that only within their close distance that she could hear clearly.

“I…I would but then you came and—” Seyoon voice was shaky, Kai noticed.

“If I wasn’t here to help you, do you think you could push him off like that?”

“I…Of course, I could.”

“No you couldn’t.” Kai interrupted quickly. “No you couldn’t because you’re weak. You’re weak in front of him,” Kai said with his teeth gritting in anger.

Seyoon didn’t know why Kai was acting like that towards her. Was it because he was also intoxicated? But if he was, he couldn’t possibly save her from Kris earlier.

“What are you saying? I’m not weak.”

“Yes you are. And I always come to save you from whatever disaster or problems you’re having Seyoon. I am always here for you. Always,” his voice getting softer.

Seyoon could see something different in Kai’s eyes. Anger? He was angry but his eyes were showing something else – like it was longing for something, like there was something he wanted to tell her but couldn’t escape those eyes of his.

‘What is it?’

“I know Kai and I’m always thankful that you’re always there but please would you just let go of this, of Kris. He didn’t meant to do—”

“Never mind. Forget what I said. Forget everything. I think the beer, the alchohol…it’s…” Kai’s hand left the wall as he massaged his temple. “I’m just worried about you. That’s all.”

Kai sighed before both of his hands fall beside him.  “Good night,” he said without looking at Seyoon.

Seyoon just watched him leave without saying. She couldn’t understand what had happened to Kai or any words that he had said.

 I am always here for you. Always. His words still resonated inside her head. Of course, she knew that and she would acknowledge Kai’s presence whenever she needed help. But he didn’t need to remind her that or tell him that.

‘Why?’

---

“Damn it,” Kris cursed under his breath whenever he held that spot that Kai punched earlier.

“What have you done for him to do that to you?”

“Tsk. I’m just doing a good deed here and this is what I get. Damn it! Damn it!”

“Hey! How many times do you have to curse? Your words are too clear over the phone.”

“You know how much I love your sister that’s why I’m doing this but , I don’t want to end up going back to America with a soiled face. I take care of this more than any parts of my body and you know that.”

“Well, it’s your fault anyway. If you just did a better job on your part of our research, I wouldn’t have to go back to America immediately. Then, I should have investigated further and help my sister with her problems. It’s your fault so while you are there, you should do what I should have done months ago.”

“Damn you…”

“What?”

“I said you’re not an angel like what they usually see you. You’re a devil.”

“Whatever. Just do what I told you.”

“Damn it. You owe me a punch, Suho.”