8

Just When I Thought I Was Over You
 

VIII

 

 

Kai stared at her as she swiftly moved her fingers on the black and white keys. He slowly approached her as he softly touched her long silky hair. “Krystal,” Kai whispered on her ear. The sensation was so delicate. He tried to capture her in a hug. The girl turned her head and looked at him. “Seyoon?”

“Kai…Kai…KAI!!!” Kai was startled by the loud voice calling his name. Before he knew it, a large pillow was already flying on his direction and bam! It hit his face so bad the he wanted to kill whoever threw it on him.

“Yah! Why did you do that?!?” Kai shouted as he tried to gather his senses. He looked at the perpetrator's face who was seemingly angry at him too.

“YAH! I’m the one who should be mad at you right now. Remember, you called me at 3 in the morning saying I should be here by 7. Dude, it’s already 8 and you’re still sleeping soundly on your bed,” said the frantic Baekhyun. “Get up now. And by the way, I brought Chanyeol and Kyungsoo with me. They’ll help us with the packing.”

Kyungsoo and Chanyeol entered the room. Chanyeol immediately wrapped his head around Kai. “Do you think we don’t know that you’re already getting married? Why didn’t you say a word?!?” asked the angry Chanyeol.

“I’m…sorry…please…stop…choking…me…I…can’t…breathe…ha!” said the pleading Kai.

“You should have told us too. We’re your friends you know,” Kyungsoo added.

“I’m sorry,” Kai apologized to them as he gave Baekhyun a death glare. “By the way, where’s Sehun?”

“Well, Sehun and Seyoon have some business to do regarding the activities of the student council so Sehun was not able to come. But he said that he’s lending their truck to help you move.”

“That Sehun…I don’t need a truck. It is not as if I will bring the whole house.”

“I’m sure you need it. Just think of the dance shoes you have. It will surely fill half the truck.”

“It is as if I’m bringing all of those. Besides, I will be living with  Seyoon.” Kai’s voice suddenly turned low, gloomy. “I don’t want her to feel uncomfortable.”

Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and Kyungsoo looked at him. “Cheer up! I’m sure it will work out between the two of you. If you want we can visit your house everyday so you won’t feel unease,” suggested Baekhyun.

“Right. We will be there every day but not because I care about you. It is because I am afraid that you would do something to Seyoon,” Chanyeol jokingly said as he poked Kai's cheek.

“What? No way! I won’t do anything to her. Let’s start. We still have a long way to go.”

---

The day seemed too long for Seyoon. She just sat there at the principal’s office listening to their plans for the upcoming events of the school. The principal keep moving his lips but no words seemed to register on her mind. The stress of the whole marriage thing was slowly conquering her body. What made it worst was the fact that she had to live with him even if they still didn’t walk down the aisle. ‘Our parents are too much,’ she thought to herself. If only her grandfather was here, he might have taught them some lessons.

She didn’t notice that she already yawned during the meeting. Sehun nudged her lightly for her to come back to her senses. “Sorry,” she whispered to him. The meeting finished earlier than expected.

“Are you alright?” asked Sehun.

“Oh…Just the lack of sleep these past few days.” Ever since they entered high school, Sehun seemed to talk more than he used to. But he only talks if he needed to, like that moment where there were only the two them.

“Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Kyungsoo went to Kai’s house to help him pack.”

“Oh, I see. Maybe you should join them too. It’s still early.”

“I was thinking of that but I guess they are already sufficient for the packing and moving. Besides, I sent our delivery truck there,” Sehun smiled. “I was thinking maybe I could help you.”

“Help me?” Although, she didn’t really need any help, it seemed hard to turn down Sehun’s help. After all, it was rare to hear him talk. “Alright. However, I’m nearly done with the packing. There’s nothing much to pack anyway.”

“Oh…” Sehun suddenly became sad.

“But you can still help me. Besides, there are things that I couldn’t reach way up high on the cabinets. I may need your help there.” Seyoon smiled to him. This would be a long day, she thought.

---

“Sehun sent me a message. He said that he’ll help Seyoon with the packing,” said Kyungsoo.

“What? Ok guys, see you tomorrow,” said Chanyeol as he stood up going towards the door.

“Hey, hey! Where do you think you’re going? We’re not done here yet,” said Baekhyun as he grabbed Chanyeol’s collar.

“I think there are too much people here. Besides, Kai is guy. He is tough enough to move boxes. I’ll go to Seyoon’s place to help her,” said Chanyeol. “Please let me go.” He knelt in front of Baekhyun.

“No! You can’t go,” said Kai.

“Why?!?”

“We’re still far halfway there. I need to finish this for tonight. I’ll be moving tomorrow.”

“AHHHH! I want to go there. Seyoon-ah…,” cried Chanyeol.

“Hey! Check this out,” Kyungsoo said as he saw a strip of sticker photos hidden between the pages of Kai’s middle school Science notebook.

“Uwah. That’s the first time we hang out together with Seyoon,” said Baekhyun.

“Where?” Chanyeol grabbed the photos. “Ahh..gwiyeopda!”

 

~*~

 “Did you bring casual clothes?” asked Kyungsoo.

“Yes. It’s here,” said Baekhyun as he patted his bag where his clothes were located.

“Oh, they’re here,” said Kyungsoo.

Chanyeol and Seyoon walked towards them. They waved at Baekhyun and Kyungsoo who were the first one to arrive at the bus stop. “Annyeong! Did you wait too long?” asked Seyoon.

“No. We just finished our project. Where have you been anyway?”

“Well, Seyoon asked me to accompany her to our library. She needed help with the process of borrowing and stuff,” said Chanyeol.

“Uwah. That’s surprising. I don’t know that you still know how to use the library. I’ve never seen you there since what? Since for..never!” said Baekhyun as he gave Chanyeol a headlock.

“Yah, yah…what are you doing?” asked Kai as he and Sehun came late because of their dance practice. Seyoon just laughed at them.

“Well since we’re already here, let’s just ride the taxi so we’ll get there faster,” suggested Kyungsoo.

“When are we going to change our clothes?” asked Chanyeol.

“Let’s just change when we get there. There’s a café where we can change our clothes. I just hope that there will be no teachers that would spot us,” said Kyungsoo.

“All right! Ahh…Baekhyun and Seyoon, let’s ride the taxi together. Kai, Kyungsoo, and Sehun, you ride another taxi,” said Chanyeol as he placed his arms on Baekhyun and Seyoon.

“No, no. Baekhyun and Chanyeol always get lost and bringing Seyoon won’t help you. Sehun will come with you two. While Seyoon and Kyungsoo will come with me.” Kai grabbed Seyoon’s hands. “You’ll come with me right?” Kai smiled at her. Seyoon looked at Chanyeol and Baekhyun, who were obviously disappointed that they won’t ride the taxi together. But what could she do? Kai’s grabbing her hands tightly. And the way he smiled at her, it's frustrating to disagree.

As they arrived at Hongdae, they immediately went to the coffee shop to change their uniforms. Normally, teachers would inspect the area to spot loitering students going to arcades and such. Even though the building was owned by Sehun’s family, they changed clothes just in case.

“This place looks cool,” Seyoon said as soon as they enter the karaoke room.

“I’m glad you like it,” Sehun smiled shyly.

“Alright! How about we split into pairs? And the pair with the lowest score in noraebang would get punishment,” Baekhyun suggested.

“Eyy, you’re relaxed because you’re great in singing,” said Kai.

“Come on. Since we haven’t eaten dinner yet, the winning team could choose where they would want to eat. And the losing team would pay.”

“That’s not fun at all. Kai could pay no matter how much we eat,” said Chanyeol.

“Yah! It is as if you’re saying that I will lose.”

“You always lose,” Sehun whispered quietly.

“How about if we draw something on the losers’ faces and they are required to walk on the streets of Hongdae and get a picture from the photo sticker booth at the end of the street?” suggested Chanyeol.

“Come on Kai, you will not lose anyway, right?” said Seyoon convincing Kai.

“Arasseo!” Seyoon smiled at him.

“Alright. For the pairing…,” said Baekhyun. Chanyeol and Sehun both looked at Seyoon who was looking at Kai. Kai looked at Kyungsoo and Baekhyun.

‘I should be in the same team as Kyungsoo or Baekhyun,’ thought Kai.

“How about rock paper scissors? The people with the same choice should go together,” said Kyungsoo.

“Call!” said Kai. ‘Come on. Telepathy...scissor. Baekhyun or Kyungsoo. Scissor,’ he thought.

“Okay. Baekhyun and Chanyeol, first pair.” Chanyeol and Baekhyun had a fist bump. “Sehun and I, second pair. And Kai and Seyoon, for the third pair,” announced Kyungsoo.

‘Geesh…I didn’t even know if this girl knows how to sing,’ thought Kai as he stared at Seyoon.

“We will win this, I promise,” said Seyoon as she smiled at Kai.

Kai gave her a forced smile. ‘I hope so.’

 

---

 “Okay, Baekhyun’s score was 98, Chanyeol’s score was 92. That means that they got an average score of 95. I got 98, Sehun got 94. That means we got an average score of 96. Kai and Seyoon pair should get at least 97 for you to win,” said Kyungsoo.

“97..got it!” said the excited Seyoon.

‘Babo…97 is too high. Urghh! If only I was on the same team as Baekhyun or Kyungsoo…’ thought Kai.

“I’ll sing ‘Here I Am’ by Mi,” said Seyoon. 

//A/N: Here's the original: 'Here I Am' by Mi. Just think that Seyoon and Mi have the same voice...Hehe//

‘What? That’s a demanding song. Arghh!’ thought Kai.

Seyoon stood in front, confident about the song. She knew this song very well as she heard it many times from her mother’s favorite drama, ‘Secret Garden’. The boys all looked at her. The mic suited her well. She closed her eyes as she listened to the piano accompaniment.

“Here I am yogi Here I am~♪

Here I am, in this place, here I am

Here I am naega yogie yogi itneunde~♪

Here I am, in this place, I’m here”

All of them jaw-dropped as they heard a crystal clear voice that resonate around the room. Kai strucked in awe as Seyoon continued to sing the lyrics. He could feel every word as she sang it. His heart started to beat not because he loves her, but because he could imagine the feeling of being loved through her way of singing. For a moment, they all forgot the competition they had. They just mediated with the song and Seyoon’s voice.

“Moreulgoya ama non Here I am~♪

You may never know but here I am”

They didn’t realized that their eyes were all closed not noticing that the song was already finished. Everyone looked at Seyoon, the new queen of their noraebang event. Seyoon went back to her seat. “So how is it?” Seyoon asked Kai.

Kai couldn’t look at her, feeling guilty for every bad thing he thought before. “It’s…uhh…”

“Daebak!” Chanyeol shouted has he gave Seyoon a thumbs up.

“Wow! We didn’t expect that you can sing,” said Baekhyun.

“Really? Kamsahamnida,” Seyoon said shyly.

Kai was shocked when the Seyoon’s score flashed on the screen. ‘100!?!?!’ “Yes!” he shouted happily without noticing that he was hugging Seyoon tightly. “Uh..sorry,” he said as soon as he realized that their bodies were too close together.

“That’s the first time that I saw a perfect score,” said Kyungsoo.

“That means Kai should get at least 94 for them to have an average score of 97,” said Sehun.

Pressure was all in Kai’s mind right now. For a moment he forgot that the highest score he got so far in noraebang was 90. ‘Please just this moment, please let me win,’ he prayed.

Seyoon looked at him as he walked in front. “Fighting!” she said with the hand gesture.

‘No pressure, no pressure. I can do it,’ Kai thought to himself.

---

“Yah, why are you still smiling? Can’t you see how embarrassing this is?” said Kai as he and Seyoon walked in the street of Hongdae with drawn circles and whatever shapes Chanyeol has put on their faces.

“You looked cute,” teased Seyoon while giving a slight chuckle.

“I looked horrible,” said Kai.

“Cheer up. Nobody would recognize us after this. It is just this moment. Besides, your face with and without markings are different. You’re cuter with drawings,” said Seyoon as she smiled.

‘That smile again. She’s right. I don’t have the right to get mad. Besides, it’s my fault for getting 88 in the noraebang. What can I do? At least, she’s having fun,’ Kai thought. “Let’s walk faster,” he held Seyoon’s hands as they ran through the busy street of Hongdae. “When will you stop smiling?” he asked suddenly.

“Huh?” Seyoon couldn’t hear what he said as the street was filled with too much noise from the people passing by.

~*~

 

‘When will you stop smiling?’ If only Kai knew he shouldn’t have asked that question. Now, he rarely saw her smile like that, the real Seyoon’s genuine smile.

“I’ll just have this,” said Chanyeol.

“What? No! That’s mine. Besides, you’re not even there,” said Kai as he snatched the photos from Chanyeol and put it back between the pages of his Science notebook.

“But…it does not mean anything to you now,” Chanyeol pleaded.

 “No! I will not give it to you. Plus, I could use this to blackmail Seyoon in case of emergency,” said Kai.

“You!” said the angry Chanyeol.

“Stop that! We have a lot of things to do,” said Baekhyun.

‘That picture will always be there,’ Kai thought to himself.