24

Just When I Thought I Was Over You
 

XXIV

 

 

~*~

“Kai…”

“What?”

“Kai..?”

“Chanyeol, go back after 10 minutes. Eat breakfast or something,” Kai mumbled lazily as he went back crawling under his sheets.

“Kai..!”

And the next thing Kai felt was a huge and semi-soft (although it felt hard during the impact) pillow punching his face. Kai scowlingly  woke up as he tried to open his hurting eyes caused by the impact earlier.

“Yah Park Chanyeol! How dare you --- Seyoon?”

Seyoon looked at her wide-eyed, probably shocked by Kai’s echoing wail so early in the morning or the fact that she was able to hit the face of her target with her pillow in one shot. It was something that only happened once, not even in the peak of her anger. But she had already done it now.

And there it was, Kai’s red face from the strike and red ears from anger, which eventually subsided seeing that the perpetrator was the least person he expected her to be.

“Sorry,” she tried to sound calm and aloof despite the fact that she knew she had done something weird. “You…you won’t wake up so I had no choice,” she said nervously.

“Ah…no. It’s my fault. Don’t worry. I’ll be ready in an hour.” Seyoon glared at him. “Er, 30 minutes…” Seyoon stayed still with her glare still fixed on him. “Ten?” Seyoon left the room without saying anything which brought Kai to immediately rushed to the washroom and prepare for the day.

When Kai finished, he immediately grabbed his bag and went out, seeing Seyoon standing by the entryway. “Let’s go,” she said in a questioning tone.

“Okay.” Kai wore his school shoes and was about to leave when he noticed Seyoon staring at the piece of clothing he was holding on his one hand. “We are in a hurry so I thought that I’ll just wear it on our way.”

Seyoon grabbed the tie and she suddenly looped it around Kai’s neck, her forearms touching Kai’s shoulder, and her face was intimidatingly close enough for him to feel hot flushes on his cheeks. He stared at the ceiling as Seyoon made loops over and under, adjusted a bit until it was done.

“There,” she said. Kai looked at his neatly done tie. It was the first time that someone did that to him. Not even once that his mother did that to him, nor Krystal, nor Seyoon, well now she did. “Let’s go,” she said again as she left ahead of Kai.

As they walked towards the school, Kai noticed that Seyoon was not walking behind or ahead of him like she used to. Instead, they were walking in the same pace, together, side by side. And instead of feeling uncomfortable, Kai felt candid and calm. He didn’t feel that repelling force between him and Seyoon, which he usually did even if they were still a meter away.

‘Is it because I the other day? I never thought that a joke could make a difference,’ he thought. Indeed, it had made a huge difference, a progress as he would label it. And since they were ‘somehow’ and literally closer now, Kai thought, might not as well asked Seyoon about her and Luhan. This might be the right time for it.

Kai looked at Seyoon walking beside her. He took a deep breath to find the courage to talk. Just then, Seyoon turned her head and met his gaze. “Ah…” he said. As expected, he couldn’t say a word.

“Is there something wrong?” asked Seyoon.

“No…Yes?...No…Well, it is not really something wrong. I’m just curious about something.”

“What is it?”

“About you and,” Kai took another deep breath like it was a matter of now or never. “…Luhan.”

Seyoon flinched a little, unexpectedly hearing that name coming from Kai’s lips. “Ah…What about him?” she asked him, avoiding his eye contact.

“Are you, by any chance…?” Just when Kai was about to ask the ultimate question, he heard someone calling name, calling Seyoon’s name.

He looked to the direction of the voice which was getting nearer to them. And as expected, it was Luhan, who was briskly walking towards them. Seyoon contract her brows upon seeing Luhan’s face. Suddenly, “Let’s go Kai,” she said as she grabbed Kai’s wrist and walked past Luhan as if she didn’t see him.

Kai was too shocked by Seyoon’s abrupt action that he didn’t even noticed that they already walked past Chanyeol, who pouted upon being ignored by his deep-voiced greeting and the fact that he was early than usual. Or neither did Kai notice that they walked past Krystal, who was confused upon seeing the two walking hurriedly towards the school building.

“Ah…” Kai protested a low voice as he felt Seyoon’s grip getting tighter.

“Sorry. I never meant to drag you all the way here,” she said, panting after walking fast to the third floor.

“No. It’s okay,” Kai said to her although he still didn’t know why her reaction was like that upon seeing Luhan. Normally, she would just ignore him nonchalantly or she would just left Luhan and Kai on the entrance gates while she walked aloofly towards her class. But today, she seemed too angry to face Luhan.

“I’ll just see you after class,” she said to him as she entered her room, greeted by Kyungsoo and Sehun.

Kai entered his room and saw Luhan already on his seat, head buried on his desk. Baekhyun greeted Kai which caused Luhan to raise his head upon hearing Kai’s name. Luhan had his eyes fixed on Kai as Kai walked to his desk.

“Enjoy your little escapade there huh?” Luhan said sarcastically.

Kai looked at Baekhyun and at Krystal, wishing that she’s not hearing their conversation even though she’s just sitting beside Luhan. “What do you mean?” he asked casually to Luhan.

“Right. Denying huh? Whatever,” Luhan said as he went to face the board, totally ignoring Kai.

“What’s wrong with him?” Baekhyun mouthed to Kai. Kai just shrugged before returning his gaze to Luhan.

---

Kai noticed that during their classes, Krystal, not even once, had exchanged glances with him or neither did she smile at him or something. He was worried that maybe Krystal saw what happened this morning and that she was probably angry to him. But he also knew that Krystal was not that kind of person to get easily angry. He also knew that she’s willing to listen to any of his explanation which he should be thinking by now as he ascended the stairs toward the music room.

“Kai, where are you going?” someone asked from behind. He looked down to see Chanyeol standing at the foot of the stairs.

“Huh? I’m going to…the music room,” said Kai shyly, not knowing if Chanyeol got what he meant about the music room or what.

“But it’s already lunchtime. Aren’t you having lunch with us? You promised to have lunch with us this week,” Chanyeol said as he grabbed Kai’s wrist. He didn’t need to ascend the stairs to reach it because his arm was too long to grab Kai’s hands. “Let’s go,” he said happily, giving Kai his teeth-shown smile.

Kai and Chanyeol found their way to their usual spot in the cafeteria when Kai noticed that Seyoon was nowhere to be found or Luhan. Just then, he saw Luhan walking with a disappointed face.

“So how it goes?” asked Xiumin.

“Nothing. It didn’t work,” said Luhan as he found his spot beside Sehun.

“We warned you but you never listened,” said Lay.

“You should think of another way then,” said Kyungsoo.

“How about giving her persimmon juice? Seyoon would surely love that,” said Baekhyun.

“What do you think of Seyoon, easily swayed because of a can of juice?” said Chanyeol angrily. Baekhyun pouted as he resumed eating his meal.

“You just need to be sincere. You shouldn’t approach her while shouting her name. You’ll just get everyone’s attention and she’ll be intimidated for sure,” said Sehun.

Kai looked at his friends one by one as they spoke. Since when did they care about Luhan’s relationship with Seyoon? And why do they sound too concerned for Luhan? Questions continued to flood Kai’s mind as their conversation went on. Suddenly, Lay asked him a question for which he didn’t know how to answer or what to answer.

“How about you Kai, what will you suggest? You’re Seyoon’s friend for a long time now, right?” he suddenly asked him. All eyes were on Kai now and he just stared at them, dumbfounded.

---

Kai and Baekhyun were walking towards the soccer field just for the sake of going away from their commitment to Chanyeol. Chanyeol asked them a few days ago to accompany him to go to the dentist for his monthly check-up and maintenance which Kai and Baekhyun usually avoided for the reason that they don’t like going to a dentist clinic. They cringed every time they hear those dentist’s tools making sounds. So they sneaked their way towards the soccer field without Chanyeol noticing it. He’s probably dragging Kyungsoo and Sehun by now, Kai and Baekhyun thought.

Just then, they heard someone singing from one of the bleachers in the stadium. Looking at the direction of the voice, Kai saw Luhan singing to someone. And by the look of it, he knew it was Seyoon.

“Look, he’s doing exactly what you suggested to him,” Baekhyun whispered to Kai. Though, he didn’t really have to whisper because they were meters away from the two.

Kai observed the two. Seyoon was sitting two bleachers up from where Luhan was standing. He couldn’t see her reaction because her back was facing them. But, Luhan seemed too determined to have Seyoon forgive him. Suddenly, he saw Luhan walking up the bleachers as he reached the bleacher where Seyoon was sitting. And then…

“He kissed her?” Kai mumbled in shock, still not believing what he saw. And what’s more surprising was that Seyoon seemed to be alright with it. In fact, she was holding Luhan’s hand now and they seemed already reconciled.  

“Sweet,” he heard Baekhyun said.

“What? What are you saying? Do you see that? Isn’t that weird? Why did he do that to Seyoon? And why Seyoon seems to be okay with it?” he said furiously to Baekhyun.

Baekhyun looked at him with a confused face. “Dude, relax. What are you saying? Don’t tell me you’re jealous?” Baekhyun asked him.

Kai was more confused on how Baekhyun reacted with everything that they’ve witnessed. And he was more shocked by his question. “What are you saying? Why would I be jealous? I already have a girlfriend now. I…don’t care.”

“Huh? Girlfriend? HAHA! Since when did you have a girlfriend?” Baekhyun asked him, although laughing, he seemed to be not joking with his last question.

“You know I have a girlfriend. I’ve been dating Krystal for two years now.”

“What?! HAHA! You’re totally out of your mind. Krystal? I never thought you like her. But dreaming of dating her is way too weird.”

Kai was totally confused now. He didn’t know what Baekhyun was saying. He didn’t know why Baekhyun was denying that he knew Kai was dating Krystal. He didn’t know anything anymore.

“Hey look, the two are already leaving. They’re probably going on a date. Ahh…Isn't that too sad? You’ll be left alone again at your home. I really don’t know how you are able to keep up with your arranged marriage with Seyoon even though you know that she is already dating someone else. Props for you dude,” Baekhyun said to him.

“What are you saying Baek? I don’t understand you. What?” Kai kept asking Baekhyun but Baekhyun didn’t seem to hear him. His questions kept on echoing repeatedly until his surrounding suddenly turned void.

~*~

 

“Kai…”

“Kai..?”

“Kai..!”

“Huh?” Kai opened his eyes. He seemed to be in a very familiar room. Just then, he heard his name being called again. He stood up from where he was lying and he saw Krystal giving him a worried look.

“I think you fell asleep. I am sorry if I’m late. I just returned some books to the library before I went here to the music room. I’m really sorry,” Krystal apologized.

‘It was just a dream? A dream…of course it was. It’s impossible. Seyoon and Luhan…impossible,’ Kai contemplated for a moment before his mind returned completely to reality. “I’m sorry but what time is it?” he asked Krystal.

“Oh, it’s 5 pm. I know it was already late so…”

“I’m sorry but I have to go. I’ll just see you tomorrow. I’m sorry. Don’t worry; I’ll keep it up to you tomorrow. I just need to do something,” he said to Krystal as he ran outside the music room, going downstairs. ‘Just where am I heading?’ he thought as his feet continued to ran and ran.

Just then, he saw a crowd filling the main hall of their school. And right at the middle of it all, he saw a dancing mascot and flushed Seyoon, totally embarrassed as she noticed the people’s attention focused on the two of them. “Seyoon?” Kai mumbled. And then, he saw Luhan removing his head costume as he suddenly started singing just like what Kai saw in his dreams. The only difference is that they were in the middle of the lobby and Luhan was in a silly costume. Seyoon stared at Luhan, surprised to see Luhan behind the costume.

“It was you?” she asked him.

“Yes…it was me. All these years…” Luhan noticed that the students were still surrounding them. “Ah please, can you give us a moment? Just the two of us hopefully,” he said. Everyone seemed to listen to him as they slowly dispersed from the scene leaving the two behind. Kai was standing in a place unseen from the two’s viewpoint.

“Like what I was saying,” Luhan resumed. “I’ve been trying to hide this to you all these years but I guess I have to tell you now. You see, asking you out is not just a sudden decision. I’ve always liked you. And I’ve always wanted to tell you that but…some other factors have had me held my feelings. I just find the courage to tell you when…” Luhan didn’t know if he’ll tell Seyoon about Kai and Krystal. “I realized I couldn't hold it any longer. So will you please forgive me for what I did in the cafeteria a while ago,” he said to her as he handed, for what it seemed, a can of persimmon juice.

Kai didn’t know how Seyoon would react to Luhan’s, for Kai, tacky way of apologizing. But, he suddenly heard Seyoon chuckled. Luhan was also surprised by her reaction. He didn’t know if she was just making fun of him or she totally lost her mind.

“So it was you. I always thought it was someone else. I never thought it was you. Haha…it’s funny because I just remembered calling you ‘friend’ that time,” she said to her. Luhan smiled at her, knowing that she still remembered that one word she said. But her face suddenly turned aloof, “If only I knew,” she said to him.

“Huh? I thought it was…so you never meant it after all,” Luhan said, pouting and crestfallen. A heavy weight seemed to fall upon his shoulder as his fall on his knees.

Seyoon looked at him with a face of guilt and at the same time, annoyance. “I really meant it…to the mascot but never too you,” she said. Luhan buried his head on his palms as people started to look at him and giving Seyoon a what-did-you-do-to-him look. “But,” Luhan suddenly lifted his head and looked at Seyoon, “if you want to, at least, be my friend, just a friend,” she emphasized, “I will give you a chance,” she said without looking at him.

“Really?” Luhan tried to stand up but because of his costume he couldn’t. Seyoon noticed it and let out a deep sigh before she offered her hands to Luhan to lift him up. “Really? Oh you don’t know how happy I am right now. You promised that huh?”

“Whatever.”

“Alright, Sunday, Lotte World. You can bring your friends, as many as you want. I’ll buy the tickets. See you!” he said. And before Seyoon even protested, Luhan was already running far away from the scene.

Kai just stand there, speechless, as he observed Seyoon swaying her head in disbelief. Even he couldn’t believe that Seyoon agreed to give Luhan a chance. But it was too late now. There’s nothing they could do about it. For now, all Seyoon could do was to look forward to her date, (although she didn’t want to admit it), group date with Luhan. And all Kai could do was just stand there because he created this barrier himself, and there’s nothing he could do about it.

 

 

 

 

 


Oh well, Happy April Fools' (Mr Emotional -> Happy Virus/CreepYeol) ^^ Love them both! 

credit: here