52

Just When I Thought I Was Over You

Please take note: Grey lines are lines that were spoken in English. ^^


 

LII

 

 

Things didn’t change at all when they were at home. Seyoon went back with her minimal talks and averted gazes. Even though she didn’t want to avoid Kai again, especially when the past few days drew them closer together, but this was the only way for her to suppress her feelings for Kai.

She didn’t want to commit another mistake anymore. She didn’t want to cry in front of him. She didn’t want to show her true feelings to him. Not now, and probably not forever – especially when she knew how much Kai loved Krystal that he only agreed to their marriage because Krystal told him so.

There was no way she could replace that kind of love. Kai loved Krystal more than anymore, more than her.

---

“Is it true? Are you applying for that SUPA scholarship grant? If that’s the case then it’s already a hundred percent that you’ll get it,” Luhan assured Seyoon.

Again, she was back with the talkative brat every morning. But she would rather choose to see Luhan knocking at their door every morning than the deafening silence between her and Kai.

“How did you even know that I’m applying for the scholarship? I’ve only said it to Chanyeol and Kai so far.”

“Xiumin told me, who heard it from his PE classmate, who heard it from his science classmate, who heard it from Baekhyun.”

“What? Am I even worth to be the topic of your conversation? And why did they have to pass that information. It is not as if I knew Xiumin’s PE classmate or their science classmate.”

“Of course you knew them. Xiumin’s PE classmate was Lay. And Lay’s science classmate was Kyungsoo. They’re all your friends. I just made the story longer so it would be interesting.”

Seyoon looked at Luhan. “No, you didn’t make it interesting. Instead, you just wasted your time, my time, and your saliva. When will you lessen your talkativeness?”

“I am just being talkative because I noticed how quiet you were in the past three days. Is there something wrong? I am your friend now, remember?”

“Hm,” Seyoon stopped walking for a while. “No, never mind,” and started walking again.

“What? At least say something to me if you have a problem or anything. I could give pretty decent advice too, you know.” Luhan scowled when Seyoon continued walking without talking.

It was only when they were across the street from the entrance gate that Seyoon stopped and looked at Luhan.

“Luhan…” He looked at Seyoon whose eyes were fixed on the swarming school population at the entrance gate. “How are you able to move on to the fact that there is no possible way that I’ll like you back? I mean, how did you accept it?”

Luhan knew exactly what that question was all about. It was a disguise to seek for answers to her problem. Luhan knew that it was about Kai. And when Kai walked towards the entrance gate and was greeted by Krystal casually, Luhan could see the change in Seyoon’s eyes.

“Hm, let’s just say that I haven’t moved on yet,” he answered. Seyoon looked at him as he continued. “Although you’ve said it to me and I could clearly see that you really like someone else, there will always be this one percent—”

“One percent?”

“One-percent of hope that I left for myself to hang onto. At least on that one-percent, I don’t have to bang my head on the wall or sob in the corner.” Though the truth was he really cried the whole night after finding out that Seyoon liked Kai.

“That one-percent could at least make me the enthusiastic person that I am now. I am not saying that I’m fooling myself to believe that you’ll still like me but it’s more of a hope. And whether or not it will come true, at least, I didn’t close my mind of the possibilities.”

“Hm,” Seyoon was taken aback a bit by Luhan’s words. “I never knew that once in a while something brilliant would come out from the mouth of yours.”

“Of course or else I won’t be labeled as Mr. Romantic for no reason.”

“Mr—” Seyoon started chuckling. “Mr. Romantic? What?” Seyoon continued to laugh in which Luhan find it gratifying to watch.

Maybe it was better that they became friends like this. He found their distance becoming closer and more comfortable. But Luhan was still hurt and he didn’t want Seyoon to know that because he knew she had been going through the same situation as him. If only Luhan could hit Kai’s head for him to realize what he had been losing, he would. But Luhan wasn’t that capable of doing that especially when he knew that Kai was committed to someone else. All he had to do was to stay beside Seyoon to give her company.

---

“So, you’re applying for the SUPA scholarship?” Xiumin asked Chanyeol in which Chanyeol affirmed enthusiastically.

“Yes. Seyoon and I will both apply for the scholarship.”

“That’s great. I heard that the audition will be a month from now. You should prepare hard for it,” added Xiumin.

“I don’t think so,” said Sehun as he, Kyungsoo, Baekhyun, and Seyoon just came back from being called to the principal’s office.

“Where have you been?” asked Luhan.

“To the student council meeting. And like Sehun said, we may not be able to prepare for the audition that well,” said Seyoon.

“Why?” asked Chanyeol.

“The school festival will be held two weeks from now and our section and Luhan’s section are asked to produce a play as the final presentation,” said Kyungsoo.

“We will be combined with Luhan’s section? That’s…”

“What?” Luhan asked Chanyeol.

“Don’t forget that Kai and I were on the same section as Luhan,” said Baekhyun.

“What I’m supposed to say is that it’s interesting,” Chanyeol continued.

“It is because they’re hoping for a huge production since it will also be the school’s 25th foundation anniversary.”

“They’ve even asking us to hire a professional to direct the play. I mean, how are we able to do that? We’re merely students. We can’t afford to hire one,” said Baekhyun.

“Don’t worry. We’ll find a solution for that,” said Sehun.

“They’re really into it. If I remember correctly, the last time I joined a play was when I was still in elementary school,” said Xiumin.

“Well, speaking of plays, I am a so-called veteran. I’ve played all sorts of roles like Romeo, Hamlet, Tony (West Side Story), and Juliet,” boasted Luhan.

Upon hearing ‘Juliet,’ Seyoon chuckled a little.

“You played a female role?” Chanyeol asked while trying to restrain his laughter.

“Why? I just did it be-because of my looks. But I will forever be manly than yours Park!”

“I could just imagine Luhan wearing a gown,” said Chanyeol and the rest started laughing including Sehun and Lau who only started smiling but couldn’t contain their laughter eventually.

“Why? At least I have some theater experience. I am sure you weren’t able to play that much role in your life Chanyeol. When was the last time you were casted on a play? Well, I don’t think you were casted for the main role ever,” Luhan scoffed.

Everyone stopped laughing except Xiumin and Lay. They only noticed seconds after that everyone of Chanyeol’s side became quiet.

“Chanyeol was casted for the main role before,” Baekhyun started. Chanyeol looked at him as he was hiding his cheeks tinted light pink. Luhan noticed it and the way Chanyeol started acting awkward and uneasy.

“Why are you acting like that?” Luhan asked him. “Is it because it was a female role or is it because you ruined the play because of your awkward acting?”

“If I were you, you wouldn’t dare to know. You’ll just regret asking,” said Sehun.

Luhan looked at him, confused. “Why? Is it worth beating my achievements?”

“Chanyeol was casted as a prince in the play we presented during the last year of middle school,” said Kyungsoo.

“And he acted brilliantly especially that kissing scene which I think was Chanyeol’s first,” said Baekhyun in which he received an elbow attack near his ribcage that caused Baekhyun to wince in pain.

“What are you saying? It’s not true Seyoon. Don’t believe him.”

Luhan looked more confused as ever. “Why do you have to say that to Seyoon? As if she cares if it was your first or not,” he said to Chanyeol, snorting.

“Of course she would becau—” This time, Chanyeol tried to shove a whole kimbap roll to his mouth and forced him to eat it all.

“Why?” Luhan looked at Seyoon.

Seyoon was supposed to answer when Baekhyun started talking again after swallowing the the kimbap. “Because she played to role of the princess,” he said.

If that was the case then…

“Chanyeol had already kissed Seyoon?” Luhan asked rather loudly.

---

“How did it happen? Was it gentle or rough? Did you practice it beforehand? If yes, how many times? How many kissing scenes do you have?”

Seyoon was on her way to put back some things in her locker and Luhan volunteered to come with her. If only she knew that he would ask endless questions to her about their kissing scene, she shouldn’t agree to him in the first place. He sounded as if he was his brother or something.

Seyoon slammed the locker door which startled Luhan and had him stopped talking.

“Look. It was just a simple one-time kiss. Besides, the audiences were mostly middle schoolers or younger so it was pretty wholesome. So if I were you, stop asking me about it.”

“One more question,” Luhan raised his hand as if participating in a class recitation.

Seyoon looked at him with a frown. “What?”

“Was it your first kiss?”

Luhan saw how Seyoon’s eyes stretched wider and she shifted her head so Luhan wouldn’t see her face.

“It’s none of your business, Luhan.” Seyoon walked briskly away from Luhan.

“You’re avoiding it so it means that it’s true,” Luhan trailed after her. “Seyoon~” he whined.

---

Luhan went back to their classroom scowling without getting the answer to his question.

“Sehun warned you,” Baekhyun said to him. “You should’ve just stopped teasing Chanyeol but you never did. Look at you now.”

Luhan glared at him. “It’s not my fault. Besides, who would’ve thought that that elfish giraffe and Seyoon—”

“Why? What about Seyoon and Chanyeol?” Kai asked Baekhyun because he couldn’t help not to hear their conversation.

“Remember that play we had in middle school, the one where Chanyeol got the main role? Apparently, Luhan was too curious who was the princess kissed by Chanyeol. Now, I believe you regret that you asked for it,” Baekhyun said to Luhan.

“Well, I don’t really care not until I found out that Park Chanyeol was Seyoon’s first kiss and—”

“What? Who told you that?” Kai asked wide-eyed.

“No one. I just assumed. Besides, she never answered when I asked her.”

“You asked her about her first kiss? That’s too personal. You should’ve just shut your mouth. Whether it was Seyoon’s first or not, you don’t have to dig deeper to her personal life,” said Baekhyun.

Luhan pouted and went back to face the board. Meanwhile, Baekhyun just shrugged and went to arrange his books under his desks and as for Kai, he was staring blankly with his mind wandering somewhere.

 

~*~

“I heard that Jinri of Class 2 will play the role of Snow White,” said Kyungsoo.

“Woah. It’s not surprising especially when we all know that she has porcelain skin that everyone envies of,” said Seyoon.

“But I really thought it would be Sehun. His skin is fairer and—”

 “Stop it Baekhyun. There’s no way that I’ll play a female role.”

They were having their lunch in the cafeteria when Kai noticed that Chanyeol was poking Seyoon’s cheek.

“What are you doing?” Kai asked him with a frown.

“Nothing. I just thought that Seyoon could play the role too. Her skin is fair and soft too. Look,” Chanyeol began poking Seyoon’s cheek again.

“Stop it Chanyeol. There’s no way I’ll get that role. Jinri is taller, more beautiful, and more experienced when it comes to theater plays compare to me. She’s the president of the drama club. Besides, I might twist my tongue while saying some lines.”

“But your Hangul is better now unlike Sehun’s lisp—”

“What did you say?”

Baekhyun received a threatening glare from Sehun and he knew how scary Sehun’s angry mode was. He immediately apologized and went back to his plate.

“Hey! Hey! Look what we have here. My favorite students!”

All of them lifted their heads to see their English teacher slash Drama club adviser, Mr. Kim. The so-called ‘hot’ teacher for one, he was the youngest teacher; two, he possessed that body that they could only see on some fashion magazine or fashion models; three, he was so funky that every student was almost close to him. Of course, everyone liked him except Chanyeol who thought that the teacher’s presence was too distracting and that all girls in his class (except Seyoon) tried to get their teacher’s attention to teach them English. Chanyeol always wanted to ask him for help but he never had the chance.

“Jaejoong-hyung…”

“I told you Sehun not to call me by my name when we are in school.”

But Chanyeol couldn’t tell anybody of how he hated Mr. Kim especially because he was Sehun’s cousin.

“Anyway, I just dropped by to tell you that we’ve already chosen who will play the prince? Do you want to guess it?” All of them shook their heads. “Alright, it’s none other than Mr. Park!” Jaejoong clapped all by himself while the rest were just jaw-dropped.

“What? Why? I auditioned for the role of the henchman. I didn’t—”

“Well, you see Chanyeol, we need someone taller to play the role of the prince. If we will get someone like, let’s say, Mr. Do here…” Kyungsoo looked at him with his wide glaring eyes. “Or Mr. Byun…” Baekhyun just shrugged his shoulder. “Then the others who will play the role of the dwarfs will be just the same height as the prince.”

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo just held their fists under the table.

“Don’t mind him,” Sehun whispered.

“So, am I only casted because of my height?”

“Well, it’s ninety-percent true but I also like the depth of your voice, that’s why. And other thing,” Mr. Kim looked at Seyoon and smiled in which she just stare confusedly.

“Ms. Jin, you will play the role of Snow White if you don’t mind.” Everyone stared at him wide-eyed especially Chanyeol and Kai whose mouths were gaping. “Jinri from Class 2 is suffering from sore throat and I don’t think she could make it to the practice and—”

“But why me? I didn’t even audition for the role.”

“Well, it’s because I heard that you can sing. There will be some musical parts in the play and we want someone whose voice will touch the hearts of the audience.” Mr. Kim was saying it dramatically as if he was immersed in his own theatrical world.

“And Baekhyun and Kyungsoo, you two will be part of the seven dwarfs. I’ll still look for the other five so ciao! And no protests!”

With that, Mr. Kim trailed off leaving the rests in the table speechless.

“I think I just officially add Mr. Kim to my hate list,” said Baekhyun. Kyungsoo sympathized with him.

As for Chanyeol, ‘Maybe there’s a good side to Mr. Kim after all,’ he thought while happily digging his food.

---

It’s been a week since they started practicing but Seyoon and Chanyeol still couldn’t go on with the scene where Chanyeol needed to kiss the princess to wake her up.

They had been staying overtime just to practice and Kai made sure that he was there to wait for Seyoon. He never wanted something bad to happen to her again if she would go home all by herself.

“So how was it?”

“We’re progressing except for the kissing scene. I don’t think we can do it,” Seyoon said to Kai.

Chanyeol thought so too. Even though there was something on the scene that he anticipated for but he also thought that he couldn’t go on with it. Each time she looked at Seyoon, his heart fluttered rapidly and with that, he couldn’t look at her in the eyes (even though the scene required her to close her eyes).

“Is it really that awkward? You’re friends anyway. I don’t see anything hard about that,” said Kai.

Seyoon and Chanyeol glared at him. If only Kai knew how hard it was and if only he was put into the same shoes as they were then maybe he would realize that it’s not easy at all.

“Don’t you know how extremely awkward it was? Even though I closed my eyes, my face automatically cringed with the thought that Chanyeol’s lips is getting nearer. Even though we’re friends, it still feels a little awkward.”

Chanyeol nodded at Seyoon’s remark. “You’ll never understand Kai because you’re not in the same place as we are.”

“Then do you want to quit? I’ll take over your role,” Kai teased Chanyeol.

“What? No way! I-I’ll do my best. Besides, you’re not as tall I am,” Chanyeol snorted.

“Okay. I just thought that maybe I’ll do a better job,” said Kai in which Seyoon felt her heart beating rapidly in an instant.

‘What is he saying?’ she thought.

---

“Still getting that hang of it?” Kai asked Seyoon.

The two decided to stroll along the flower field by themselves while their parents prepare their lunch. It had been a month since the last time that their family decided to have a weekend getaway together.

“Yes, still getting the hang of it. I’ve never acted to any plays before. This is really something new. Have you been to one?”

“Me? Of course especially because I have some background in ballet and jazz, I almost got the role of jester or knight. If I remember when I was young, I used to play the role of a ballerina.”

“You mean a female role?” Seyoon began to chuckle as she lied on the field surrounded with golden flowers. The weather is fine to their senses and the sun gave just enough to warm. Kai sat beside her.

“What’s so funny about it? I looked pretty when I was a kid, that’s why. Besides, like I told Chanyeol, if I will play the role of the prince, I think I’ll do better than him,” he said.

Seyoon looked at Kai. She could only see a bit of his face but the rests appeared like a silhouette to her because the sun was only illuminating his back.

“Really? How about recite some lines? Chanyeol is pretty good in memorizing. And his deep voice matched his lines.”

“Alright.”

“Snow White they say

Is purer than an evening star

Her smile warms all from near and far

Hair so black and lips so red”

Seyoon look at Kai, astonished. The words flowing freely from his lips. His eyes closed, feeling every piece of it. He was indeed great, Seyoon thought. This was a side of Kai she had never seen before.

“And there she was in clearing light

Her smile shown, her eyes were bright

As pure as pure as a gentle stream

No hint of bad, no of mean.”

“How did you—” Seyoon was supposed to ask her how did he knew all of it but Kai silenced her.

“Ssh...How about closing your eyes so you could feel it?” He said to her in which Seyoon complied. Maybe she could feel it better when her eyes were closed though he just wanted to look at Kai’s face, kissed by the sun.

“And years they passed until one day

She’d be twenty-one or so…all say

And on that day, a prince so bold

Who heard the tale that many told

And rode his horse into the clear

And lifted the glass then pressed her near”

Seyoon could sense Kai’s voice getting louder or nearer…

“For he was great and magic, too

And in his heart he always knew

That he would find her on that day

And kissed the lips

Swept death away…”

After that, Seyoon knew how first kiss tasted like – it was all honey and succulently sweet, scents of flowers, light as golden flair of the sun, and soft…Because when she opened her eyes, she was met with closed crescents of Kai’s. Their faces so closed together. And their lips interlocked.

It was only seconds after (though for Seyoon it happened slowly and gently and as if it was minutes or hours) when Kai opened his eyes and immediately pulled from the kiss.

Seyoon got herself up from lying down, sitting beside Kai, wide-eyed.

“Sorry…I – I just got carried away. I’m really sorry.”

“Wha-what?” Seyoon asked.

“Just think of it as a rehearsal for the kissing scene you’ll have. And you don’t have to be anxious when Chanyeol kisses you. Just, just think of it as a friendly kiss. Like – like right now,” said Kai, his voice cracking in every word.

“A friendly kiss?”

Kai nodded. “Right. Oh, I think my I just heard my stomach grumble. I’ll go ahead. I’m hungry.” Kai stood up immediately and ran.

“What? Wait for me, Kai,” she ran after him. “Wait! Don’t leave me here walking while you take the bike.”

Kai turned around and smiled at her.

“I won’t leave you, my princess,” he teased.

He rode the bike but Seyoon was frozen in place. She didn’t know how he would hold to Kai while riding the bike because now her pulsing beat was so visible. She only hoped that it won’t bring red tint on her cheeks.

‘A friendly kiss. It’s just a friendly kiss, Seyoon. Don’t think much about it,’ she thought.

But it was her first kiss...

~*~

 

“It’s not a big deal okay,” Baekhyun said to Luhan for the umpteenth time. He still couldn’t let go of thinking about Chanyeol and Seyoon’s kissing scene. And he felt like the one-percent he had chosen to hold onto was further broken in half.

“But…”

“It’s your fault Baekhyun. You shouldn’t tell him about it in the first place,” Kyungsoo told him.

“Stop it guys. It’s a friendly kiss okay. And it’s a play, just a play. A role, just a role that we need to fulfill,” said Seyoon. Chanyeol nodded while walking behind her.

“Move on Luhan,” Xiumin tapped him from behind.

“So, what’s the play that we’re going to present?” Lay asked Sehun.

“It’s ‘Seoul Beat,’ the unrated high school slash Korean modern adaptation of Romeo and Juliet. And it will be more like a musical slash dance play,” said Kyungsoo.

“You should audition for the main role Lay since you’re a good dancer,” said Seyoon.

“I am a good dancer too. I’ll audition for the main role if Seyoon will audition for the female lead,” said Luhan.

Seyoon and Sehun swayed their hands. “Unfortunately, student council members are not part of the casts since we’re assigned for the production and we’re also busy managing the other years’ presentations and booths. So it’s unfortunate for you Luhan,” said Baekhyun.

When they reached the entrance gate, they noticed some the female students swarming around a black car parked in front of their school. All of them were whispering something to each other, the others were giggling. And some were taking pictures.

“Is there a celebrity here or something?” asked Xiumin.

“Looked, that’s your fanclub president. I think she already ditched you,” said Chanyeol when he saw Jieun from the crowd.

“What?” Luhan extended her neck. “No way. Who could beat someone as good-looking and as talented as I do?”

“Don’t be cocky Luhan,” Baekhyun said to him.

When they went out to see what the commotion was all about, there was a guy waiting in front of the car as he looked at his phone. He just nodded modestly to the girls talking to him but his face seemed scarily emotionless. He looked at his watch before he lifted his head. His emotion eventually changed upon seeing the person he was looking for.

Princess!” his voice sounded deep but loud enough to be heard by the person he was talking to.

Princess?” Seyoon knew that voice perfectly well. She turned around to see a figure walking towards her, his eyebrows furrowed permanently but there was a smile tugged on his face.

Long time no see princess,” he said to Seyoon in which her friends were all taken aback.

“Look he’s taller than Chanyeol,” said Xiumin.

“And definitely more good-looking than Luhan,” said Chanyeol.

“Shut up Park!”

The tall guy looked at them briefly before going back to Seyoon. “I’m looking for you.

“Did he just speak English?” asked Baekhyun.

What are you doing here, Kris?

---

Kai never thought that the images of his first kiss would come to him. It was that moment that he would never forget especially when he could still feel it and the images in his mind was vivid, almost tangible to his senses.

He didn't also know why did he do that - why did he kiss Seyoon who was innocently lying on the ground beside him. But he knew how beautiful she looked like especially when she closed her eyes, the sunlight illuminating her fair alabaster skin. She really looked like the 'Snow White' that he was talking about, only that time, she was real, she was Seyoon.

And as Kai recited the lines, his head were obliviously enticed by her, slowly drawing him closer. Maybe it was because of her looks, or the serenity of the scene where she was encircled by the golden flowers. She was beautiful that time, Kai thought. And he never regretted kissing Seyoon that time.

Never regretted having her as his first kiss.

And when Kai was in front of the apartment building, still thinking of that memory, he never thought that he would see Seyoon. But this time, she was in the arms of someone unknown, and their heads leaning closer to each other as if they were...

"Kissing?"

 

 

 

 

 


Poem not mine. (cr. here)