37

Just When I Thought I Was Over You
 

XXXVII

 

 

“I do,” Kai heard her soft voice from under her white almost translucent veil. Kai couldn’t see Seyoon’s face clearly but hearing her voice made his heart skipped a beat and drew a smile on his face.

Then the officiant turned and faced him. “Do you, Kim Jongin, take Krystal Jung –”

“Huh?” he shockingly asked.

The officiant cleared his throat and looked at him with a frown. “I repeat. Do you, Kim Jongin, take Krystal Jung to be your –”

“Krystal Jung?” he asked again.

The officiant lowered his reading glasses and eyed him with a mixture of confusion and irritation. Kai looked around him and saw his parents looking at him with the same confused face as the officiant. Even his friends were there looking at him.

‘Why are they looking at me like that?’ he asked himself. Even he was confused with all of this. Why was the officiant kept on repeating Krystal’s name? Why wasn’t it Seyoon?

“Seyoon…” Kai mumbled as he looked for her on the audience. Maybe she was somewhere out there. He didn’t hear the officiant continued reading the vow with his eyes still fixed on the crowd, confused and desperate to have a glimpse of the person he was looking for.

But why was he acting like this. Wasn’t he supposed to be happy that the person in front of him was the person he was hoping to marry? Wasn’t he supposed to calm down knowing that he was marrying the person he loved? Or maybe because he knew that the only person he imagined himself to be with in this position was none other than…

---

“Seyoon!” Kai suddenly woke up hearing someone shouting Seyoon’s name. He rubbed his eyes foggily, surprised by his sudden pull from his slumber and he heard that familiar deep voice again. “Seyoon, I’m so excited to see you in your wedding dress,” the deep voice happily exclaimed. As expected, he knew who owned that voice.

“Yah Chanyeol, don’t get too excited. You’re not the groom anyway,” said Baekhyun.

Kai moved his head which hurt for a bit maybe because it was resting on someone’s shoulder for too long. “You’re too noisy,” he said to Chanyeol, who was sitting beside him.

“I’m not saying that I am hoping to be the groom. I am just excited because it is my first time seeing Seyoon in a gown,” Chanyeol replied with a huge smile, totally ignoring Kai beside him.

“Baekhyun is right. There’s nothing to be excited about. It’s not that special anyway. Besides, I really don’t look good in it,” Seyoon said as she lowered her head down.

“It’s alright. I am sure you’ll look good in it,” said Kyungsoo who was sitting beside her.

“In fact, what I think is that Kai will be the one who will ruin the whole look. I don’t think he fits the suit the he chose,” said Chanyeol.

“Yah! What are you saying?” he said coldly to Chanyeol. “It totally fits me. Besides, I asked Sehun and Baekhyun about their own choice and they pointed the same suit that I chose. It looks good,” he defended himself.

“I just point at it to console you,” said Sehun from the back, sitting together with Baekhyun. Chanyeol and Baekhyun chuckled which caused Kai to glare at them.

“We’re here,” said Jongdae as he parked the car in front of the store.

“Why are there a lot of people?” Seyoon asked when he saw a lot of people carrying props, lights, and different clothes hung on a clothing rack.

“My brother is sponsoring a fashion show later. I guess they are preparing for it,” said Jongdae. “But don’t worry. He’ll take care of us first,” he assured.

“Let’s go!” Chanyeol said happily.

---

Kai was waiting in the changing room. He already changed into his white tuxedo that took days of thinking before having his final decision. He didn’t want to admit it to the other boys and neither to Seyoon that he really thought hard for his suit. He didn’t know why he was putting too much effort on this but he wanted to make sure that he looked perfectly well for…everyone, maybe.

He paced inside the room, back and forth, waiting for the curtain on the other side to open.

“I don’t think I look good in this,” he heard Seyoon’s insecurities from behind the curtain.

“No, you look good. Well, not really good, but you look exceptionally beautiful. Now, lift your head up and walk confidently. It’s not only your body proportion that would bring the beauty in that dress. You should be confident wearing it. Smile my dear,” he heard the designer talked.

He saw the curtain being drawn open and he saw the flowing white dress coming out slowly. He moved his gaze up and narrowed on the beauty laid in front of him. He didn’t notice his mouth gaping upon seeing Seyoon stepped out from behind the curtain. He could feel the churn in his stomach. It hurts he knew, but in a good way. He could feel it slowly traveling way up until he felt the rapid pounding of his chest. ‘Why?’ he wanted to ask himself. It was a different feeling that he didn’t feel in his dream a while ago. He knew this was the right feeling he should have in his dreams. But he wasn’t feeling it in front of Krystal – the Krystal in his dreams. He was feeling it right now in front of Seyoon and he knew it was not a dream.

“How…how was it?” Seyoon stutteringly asked him without looking straight into his eyes because she knew she couldn’t. Her face flushed just seeing Kai in his white suit that she eventually averted her gaze on the floor.

“You’re…” Kai knew the word that perfectly described Seyoon right now but it seemed like his throat didn’t cooperate with him well at that moment. He cleared his throat once before he spoke again. “You’re beautiful,” he was able to pull out and looked at her with a smile.

Somehow Kai’s word, including his smile, didn’t travel smoothly to her ears, but it pierced straightly to her heart. She knew it would explode anytime soon if she wouldn’t be able to pull herself from his dreamy voice and the nirvana that those two words ‘You’re beautiful,’ brought her. “What are you saying?” she tried to say but still came out in a cracked voice.

“It’s true,” he said as he walked towards her. Seyoon noticed his elbow angled beside her. She looked at it then to him who was still smiling at her. He nudged her with that elbow prompting her to hook her arm on it. Her trembling hand followed him as she tried to relaxingly put her arm to his; the two of them arm in arm as Heechul opened for the rest of the boys to see.

When the curtain opened, Chanyeol and Baekhyun – who were busy nudging and tugging each other because of a handheld console game – looked at the two, especially at Seyoon, with their mouths gaping while Sehun dropped his cellphone, frozen in place as he saw his two friends.

“Omo~” was the first word heard, escaping from Kyungsoo’s lips as he smiled to both Seyoon and Kyungsoo.

“Perfect, beautifully perfect, perfectly beautiful,” said Baekhyun as he stood up giving Kai and Seyoon two thumbs up. Sehun did the same as well.

Chanyeol stood up and walked towards them. He tried to speak as he opened his mouth but no words came out. He just looked at Seyoon, completely ditching Kai aside, and hugged her tightly. Seyoon chuckled in Chanyeol’s long arms encircling her.

“Yah, yah, yah…stop that. You’re suffocating her,” Kai said as he tried to untangle Chanyeol’s arm.

Chanyeol gave him a death glare before letting Seyoon go. “You!” his finger pointing at Kai, “you take care of her,” he said to Kai. “If this guy do anything to you, don’t hesitate telling us. We’re always here for you,” he said to Seyoon while his huge grin.

Seyoon looked at him and smiled. “Thank you,” she said.

---

As Luhan waited for the clothes he was supposed to wear, he walked inside the shooting venue for his first modeling work, looking at the different displayed clothes – most of which are dresses and gown. Suddenly, he saw someone familiar walking on the hallway.

“Isn’t that Seyoon’s parent’s wedding planner?” he said, curiously lifting his feet and followed him. The man turned left to another hallway with the label ‘VIP’. Still covered in curiosity, Luhan didn’t hesitate to follow him. As he walked on a seemingly narrowed hall, he heard familiar voices talking and laughing, the most distinguished of which was the deep manly voice which he knew only belonged to that person, “Chanyeol?”

He finally reached the furthest room on the hallway and there he was, shocked by a seemingly picturesque scene that shot a pain on his chest. He saw Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, and Sehun happily laughing together with the two people standing in front of them.

“You two looked good together,” said Jongdae.

“What are you saying? Kai looked darker with his white tux,” said Baekhyun and the rest of them began to laugh again.

“Oh my! The bride and the groom matched perfectly. I just can’t wait to show this to your parents. I am sure they will love it!” said Heechul happily.

“The bride and the groom?” someone asked rather loudly which brought everyone’s attention to the unfamiliar, supposedly uninvited voice coming from the doorway.

“Luhan?” asked Seyoon, seeing Luhan’s shocked face. No, she couldn’t describe it well. It was a face covered in shock, disappointment, and non-acceptance.

He wanted to ask them with a lot of question but Luhan just found himself running away from that place. He heard Seyoon constantly calling his name but it stopped. He looked back and he saw her being blocked by four people, one of them he heard her call as her mother. He felt so out of place. He felt…betrayed.