49

Just When I Thought I Was Over You
 

XLIX

 

 

“What happened?” asked Chanyeol.

The rest of them were encircling the bed where Kai was currently resting. The school doctor, Woohyun, was doing the temperature check, blood pressure reading, and heart rate checking.

“His heart rate is stable; blood pressure is normal. However, his body temperature is above the usual. He has flu,” announced the doctor.

“Is it that bad, Dr. Nam?” asked Baekhyun.

“Don’t worry. It isn’t something life-threatening. He may rest at home but he needs occasional cold compress. Make sure that he is hydrated; water and soup would do. Steaming is also advised. Anyway, I’ll give him his prescription medicine that is good for three days,” the doctor continued.

Every word that the doctor was saying were immediately noted into Seyoon’s mind, not leaving any single word away.

---

They were able to bring Kai home with the help of their friends and Sehun’s car. Sehun carried Kai by having him ride on his back. From time to time, they would hear Kai’s shallow breathing. Seyoon immediately opened the door when they reached the floor of their apartment.

Kyungsoo and Baekhyun helped Seyoon to prepare Kai’s bed. Sehun carefully brought Kai down with the help of Chanyeol.

“Are you sure you’ll be alright taking care of Kai alone?” Kyungsoo asked Seyoon.

“It’s alright. I can do it by myself. I’ll take care of him until he gets better,” reassured Seyoon.

“Sorry if we will not be able to go here tomorrow. We really need to attend our weekend band practice and Sehun has to attend his soccer practice,” said Baekhyun.

“Just call us if anything happens. We will run immediately to go here,” said Chanyeol.

“Thank you, guys. Don’t worry. I’ll keep you updated of Kai’s health.

“But please take care of yourself too, Seyoon. Don’t exhaust yourself too much. If Kai is sleeping soundly, have time to sleep too,” said Sehun.

“I will. Thanks again,” she replied with a smile.

The four immediately left to avoid creating noises that could disturb Kai’s sleep.

Seyoon hurried get a basin and fill it with water so she could give Kai a cold compress. She the humidifier as what the doctor had suggested. When she entered Kai’s room, everything turned into silence. She carefully closed the door and found a chair to place beside Kai’s bed. She didn’t want to sit on his bed for her weight might disturb Kai’s sleep.

Kai was sleeping but his eyebrows were brought into furrow and sweat rolled down his temple and neck. He would sometimes flinch or lightly tossed from side to side as if someone was disturbing him in his dreams (or nightmare). Observing Kai made Seyoon sigh in guilt. She knew she was the reason why Kai acquired the flu. If it wasn’t for his help last night, he wouldn’t be in his condition now.

She held his cold hand and brought it closer to her. “Sorry Kai,” she mumbled.

She moved away the strands of hair that was covering half of his face and softly caresses his hair. She wiped away the sweat that was rolling on his temple and softly caresses his burning cheeks. With Seyoon’s soft touches, Kai’s disturbed expression suddenly turned serene.

“It’s okay. I’ll be here,” she said to him. Seyoon was shocked when her hand that was holding Kai’s hand was tightly gripped by him.

“Please don’t leave,” he heard him say with his eyes still closed.

“I won’t Kai.”

Everything turned quiet again and Kai’s gripped of Seyoon’s hand loosened but he was still holding it as if he didn’t want it to let go. His fingers interlaced with hers.

The next words that came out of Kai’s mouth made Seyoon’s eyes grew wide, wider than she could imagine. It was as if her world stopped for a moment and her breathing shortened.

“Saranghae,” he said.

“What?”