48

Just When I Thought I Was Over You
 

XLVIII

 

 

Afternoon came when Seyoon heard a knock on the door of the student council room. She was alone this time because she insisted that if that girl that Chanyeol talked about would come to return the umbrella she lend her, she would like to talk to her one on one. It wasn’t that she’s not afraid, she was. It was just that she wanted to face this problem alone. Besides, she wanted to show that girl that she could face her without the help of her friends.

Seyoon took a deep breath before her hand reached the knob and twisted it, revealing the girl that she met yesterday when the rain starts to pour.

“Hello, please come in,” Seyoon said in a calm voice. She sighed in relief that she didn’t stammer on her words. The girl gladly entered the room with her. “Please take a sit,” she added.

The girl sat on one of the chairs facing a long rectangular table. Seyoon sat on the opposite side and tried to look on the girl’s face. Her face was expressionless, Seyoon thought. Seyoon also noticed that the girl never looked straight to her eyes.

“Ah, I forgot to introduce myself yesterday. I am Se—”

“I know,” the girl started to speak but her head was still lowered and her gaze stuck on the umbrella she was holding. “I – I know you. After all, you are the vice president,” she stammered.

“Right. Well, not all the students are aware that I am the vice president. Their attention is always pinned on Sehun,” Seyoon tried to smile but the girl never did. 

“I – I am…I am Ji Eun, se-second year,” she lifted her head but her gaze shifted to the side.

“I know. I know who you are,” said Seyoon.

The girl looked at her with shock plastered on her face. Seyoon could see her eyes grew wide and her lips quiver minimally.

---

“What are you doing?” Chanyeol asked Kai as the other shoved a spoonful of ddeokbokki to his mouth.

“What else? I’m eating, can’t you see. Why not try some? Here,” Kai offered gladly but Chanyeol just pouted and glared at him.

“How could you eat so peacefully when you know that Seyoon could be in danger right at this moment?!” he shouted, making the others looked at him.

“What do you mean?” Kyungsoo asked. Sehun also looked at him.

Chanyeol swallowed hard and walked behind Baekhyun.

“You’re speaking too loud and now you’re hiding behind me. It’s useless anyway. You’re still taller. Shoo! We’re eating,” said Baekhyun. Chanyeol pouted and grabbed Baekhyun’s blazer.

“What happened to Seyoon?” Sehun asked again. This time, Luhan, Xiumin, and Lay just came from somewhere and joined them.

“Did I just hear Seyoon’s name? What is it about her?” Luhan asked.

---

“Luhan says you’re the kind president of his fan club,” Seyoon smiled at her. The other stayed speechless but her nervousness never faded. Seyoon thought it even doubled.

“Luhan-ssi talked to you about me?” she asked with shocked and anticipation.

Seyoon nodded. “Yes. Luhan talked too much you know. Even if I don’t ask him things, he just talks and talks. Yes, he mentioned something about you.”

“I – I don’t expect that he’ll talk about me to other people,” she mumbled.

“I guess he likes you. He likes how responsible you are as a president. He also likes how understanding you are,” Seyoon emphasized, thinking that her subliminal message would reach the other.

“Sorry…” Ji Eun mumbled.

Seyoon looked at her but decided not to say anything.

“Sunbae, I am sorry. I don’t know if you’ll forgive me but…I…I was the one who wrote that note you found in your locker. I was also the one who destroy your English book. And…and,” tears started to fall from her eyes.

Seyoon stared at her wide-eye. She never expected that Ji Eun would tell her everything without forcing her. The only thing to do now was to find out why she did all those things to her.

“The chairs and the umbrella, it was all my fault. I’m sorry. I’m sorry,” she repeated as she continued to sob. Suddenly, Ji Eun heard Seyoon’s footsteps coming closer to her.

“Here,” Seyoon offered her handkerchief as she sat beside Ji Eun. Ji Eun hesitated to get the handkerchief but Seyoon insisted. “I really don’t know what to do with you, seriously. I never thought that someone would do that to me.”

“Sorry. I – I really like Luhan-ssi ever since I saw him dance in a competition in our school festival. I even tried to transfer to this school during middle school when I found out that they were going to be exchange students here. And I never felt more happy when Luhan-ssi came back to study here again now that we are in high school. But…but I never thought that he already like someone else. I never thought that he’ll like you.”

Seyoon stayed silent for a while. Well, everything came unexpected not only to Ji Eun but also to her. She also never thought that Luhan likes her. And everything else became complicated after his confession.

“And do you think that doing all of those things to me will make Luhan like you back?” Seyoon didn’t want to ask the question but she had to. As someone older to Ji Eun, she wanted Ji Eun to realize that all of the things she had done were wrong. She admitted that she felt sympathy for Ji Eun since she thought that both of them were in a similar situation. Ji Eun likes Luhan but Luhan likes someone else. And Seyoon…she likes Kai but Kai…At least, never did Seyoon thought of hurting Krystal just to have Kai’s affection all to her. She knew that love shouldn’t be something that was forced. It should be given.

“Sorry. I admit that all the things I’ve done are wrong. That day when you called me, I really thought you already found out about what I was doing to you. But when you lend me the umbrella and you smiled to me, I felt the guilt inside. Even though you didn’t know me, you still gave me that umbrella without thinking of the possibility that I’ll return it to you or that your spare umbrella was still there. I realized that moment that Luhan-ssi’s choice was never wrong. You deserve his affection sunbaenim. You…you are the kindest person I’ve ever known,” she said shyly.

Seyoon felt embarrassed by Ji Eun’s remarks. One time they were talking about all the bad things she had done and now she was complimenting her.

“What?! What are you saying? I could be a bad person too,” Seyoon stammered. “I mean it’s not that I am encouraging you to be bad. But I’m not really that kind.”

“You’re cute too,” Ji Eun said, this time she had her eyes on Seyoon and Seyoon could see the smile slowly forming on her face.

“Cute? What are you saying? I may look young but I am—”

“Seriously, you really deserve Luhan-ssi. I just hope that you’ll love him as much as I do,” she said sincerely.

Seyoon didn’t know what to say. Now the situation became harder to her. She couldn’t tell Ji Eun that her affection towards Luhan was only like a friend and nothing else. She couldn’t tell it to Luhan either since the other insisted that he would wait until she reciprocates his love.

“Uh…I really don’t—” Suddenly, Seyoon and Ji Eun gasped when the door to the student council opened.

“I told you not to lean too much on the door. I think the door didn’t take our weight,” Chanyeol bursted. Together with him who fell down on the floor, Luhan, Kyungsoo, and Baekhyun also came in.

Seyoon folded her arms and cleared , getting everyone’s attention as they struggled to stand up. “What did I just told you earlier?” Seyoon said coldly.

“Sorry but…” Chanyeol lowered his head. Kai, Lay, Sehun, and Xiumin also came after them.

“But his mouth is too loud that he announced to everyone what was happening,” said Baekhyun. Chanyeol looked at him with a scowled face.

“What happened? Chanyeol told me that you are talking with Ji Eun. Are you finally getting their permission so we can be official?” Luhan asked.

“What?! What are you saying? Pabo!” Seyoon hit Luhan’s head which caused the other to whine in pain. Seyoon guessed that Chanyeol and Kai didn’t tell Luhan about the incident which was better because she didn’t want to let Luhan be mad at Ji Eun.

“No! She’s just going to return this umbrella to me. Aish! And who told you to listen to our conversation?!”

“Well, I never really heard a thing because this giant is on the way,” said Luhan as he and Chanyeol exchanged glares. Chanyeol gave Seyoon thumbs up when Luhan wasn’t looking.

“Well, that’s it. I really don’t know what you all are doing here but nothing special is happening here so you may go. You too Ji Eun-ssi. Nice to meet you,” said Seyoon as she bowed to Ji Eun which Ji Eun also returned with a full right-angle bow. “I see your holding a lot of books. I wonder if Luhan is gentlemanly enough to bring those books for you,” Seyoon said. Ji Eun shook her head and Seyoon could see the blush on her cheeks but Seyoon just tapped her shoulders.

“I’m okay with that. But Seyoon we will not see each other during the weekend. I wonder if I can, you know, visit you,” Luhan said shyly. Chanyeol was about to go to him when Baekhyun stopped him.

“Whatever. Just help Ji Eun. Aish!”

Luhan, Ji Eun, Lay, and Xiumin left after that. Kyungsoo and Chanyeol immediately went to Seyoon.

“She didn’t hurt you, did she? Or did she hypnotize you or something?” Chanyeol asked as he pressed his hand on Seyoon’s forehead.

“No. I’m alright. Why would she do that?” Seyoon said as she removed Chanyeol’s hand.

“Baekhyun and Kai told us about her. So, she was the one doing those chair accidents. I’m sorry Seyoon. If only we knew,” said Kyungsoo.

“It’s okay. Baekhyun and Chanyeol were secretly helping me anyway. And Kai was also there. It’s okay. You don’t have to worry,” said Seyoon as she gave Kyungsoo a hug.

“So, is it over?” Sehun asked. Seyoon nodded.

“We’ve talked about a lot of things and she apologized so I guess it’s already okay.” Baekhyun heave a sigh of relief. “Thank you guys for helping me. Even though Sehun and Kyungsoo didn’t know anything, they were still there to help me. And of course, Baekhyun, Kai, and Chanyeol helped me a lot.”

“But I’m the real hero here,” Chanyeol pouted. Baekhyun pinched his side.

“Yeah, you really are a great help to me Chanyeol but Baekhyun was also there.” Seyoon approached Baekhyun and gave him a hug. Chanyeol looked at them, frowning.

“How about my hug?” Chanyeol asked.

“How about a group hug instead?” Baekhyun insisted. Chanyeol didn’t like the idea but he also went to join Baekhyun and Seyoon’s hug. Soon after, Sehun and Kyungsoo joined in. The only person they were waiting was Kai but Kai just stared on the floor as if something was wrong with him.

“Kai what are you waiting for?” Chanyeol asked.

When Chanyeol reached out his hand to pull Kai, the other suddenly fell on his arms.

“What’s wrong?” Sehun asked.

“He’s hot,” said Chanyeol.

 “Kai, are you alright?” Seyoon asked him but Kai didn’t answer. ‘This must be due to the rain yesterday,’ she thought.

“Carry him. Let’s go to the clinic,” said Baekhyun.