44

Just When I Thought I Was Over You
 

XLIV

 

 

“What’s wrong?” Seyoon asked as soon as she entered their classroom. Luckily, only her, Kyungsoo and Sehun were there.

“Sehun’s chair was smeared with black ink,” said Kyungsoo.

Seyoon looked at it and clearly enough, the black ink created a mess on Sehun’s desk. If their teachers would see it, Sehun would surely be punished for destroying school property.

“We have to exchange it with a cleaner desk,” said Seyoon.

“Who could have done this?” asked Sehun.

Kyungsoo didn’t know the answer. But Seyoon…

“Maybe a student accidentally spilled the ink and tried to remove it but couldn’t. Don’t think too much about it. Let me help you,” said Seyoon as she and Sehun carried his desk to the empty classroom and exchanged it with another.

“What happened to Sehun’s chair?” asked Chanyeol as soon as he entered their room, only seeing Kyungsoo and Sehun’s empty spot.

“It’s tainted with black ink. We don’t know if it was an accident or a prank.”

“Oh,” Chanyeol uttered and sat on his desk.

Kyungsoo wanted to ask Chanyeol about the way he acted in the past few days but he couldn’t seem to disturb Chanyeol who was staring blankly on Seyoon’s chair, his chin propped in his palm.

---

“By the way Seyoon, are available tomorrow after school so we could finish our project?” asked Lay as he looked at Seyoon who was taking her first bite for lunch.

“It’s okay. Where do you want to work?” she asked.

“If it’s convenient with you, I prefer to work in our dorm. I mean…” Lay’s eyes moved to Luhan as the other boy’s face beamed and smiled back at him. “I mean, if we need more materials, we could just buy in the supply store near our dorm. Besides, the lobby is big enough for us to work,” he continued.

Luhan nodded happily and nudged Seyoon. “He’s right. And then I will be there and if you need help, just call me and I’ll come.”

“We don’t need your help,” she replied coldly. Luhan pouted and went back to his food. “It’s okay. I guess working in your dorm is not bad. I mean, I’ve been there countless of times before when…” Seyoon looked at Chanyeol. Coincidentally, the man was also looking at her but he immediately averted his eyes. “On Thursday then…” she said to Lay.

“Ahh, you’re lucky. Kyungsoo and I haven’t started anything yet,” said Xiumin.

“I found out that Xiumin also likes cooking so we always ended up talking about food whenever we planned to start our project,” said Kyungsoo. “How about you Chanyeol? How’s your project with Sehun?”

“We’re…” Chanyeol looked at Sehun and stole a glance at Seyoon before he returned to Kyungsoo. “I think Sehun is the best project partner I have,” he said with a face one couldn’t clearly read. But surely, Kyungsoo and Sehun knew that he wasn’t telling the truth.

Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol and then at Seyoon who lowered her head as if Chanyeol’s words really got into her. ‘Why are you acting like this idiot?’ he whispered at the back of his mind.

“Yah! Are you saying that I’m not a good project partner to you,” said Baekhyun who tried to livened up the atmosphere.

“I’m…I don’t know!” The two started teasing.

Seyoon couldn’t help but chuckle in the corner. It was the first time in few days that she had seen Chanyeol like this again. But she was disturbed by the vibration she felt in her pocket. When she opened it, she saw another disturbing message.

“It’s good to have some friends around you to laugh with. But, how about to cry with, who will still be there for you? Do you want to test it? J

You don’t deserve him…”

“Seyoon? Seyoon…” she suddenly heard Luhan.

“Hmm?”

“Is there anything wrong? I am asking you if you want me to buy you a can of juice but you’re not answering. Are you okay?” asked Luhan. Suddenly all of the boys, who seemed to hear Luhan, looked at her.

“It’s okay. I’m okay.”

“Luhan is right. You look pale,” said Kyungsoo.

Chanyeol looked at Seyoon. Concern filled his eyes. He wanted to speak but he decided not to. He just stared at Seyoon who kept on repeating that she was alright. His eyes suddenly turned to Baekhyun, who was also looking at him as if he wanted to say something. Chanyeol just lowered his head and remained silent.

Seyoon didn't bother to look anywhere. If she received the message, it meant that the one doing terrible things to her was also in the cafeteria. She didn't know if she wanted to see the person's face or not. Would she?

---

At home, Kai noticed that Seyoon never left her room since she came back from school.

He knocked twice or thrice and only on the fourth knock that heard Seyoon’s voice from the inside.

“Yes?” she asked softly.

“Hmm…ahh,” somehow, words couldn’t escape Kai’s lips.

The door to Seyoon’s room suddenly opened. “Sorry. Are you already hungry? Don’t worry. I’ll cook right away,” she said as walk past Kai and into the kitchen counter. But even on the kitchen counter, she just stared at the sink absent-mindedly.

Kai found this opportunity to . He didn’t know if this was the best thing to do, but still he’d done it. He drew his face closer to Seyoon, lowered his head a bit, facing upward so he could face Seyoon. ‘Three, two, on—’

“What are you doing?!” Seyoon asked frantically as she moved backwards.

“It is I who should ask you. Is our sink that beautiful for you to stare on it? I believe my face is more worth staring at,” he said mischievously.

“What?!” Seyoon asked, chuckling awkwardly. “I’m not staring at the sink. And, the way you talk, you sounded just like Luhan,” she said to him.

“What? Luhan? You compared me to Luhan? Daebak!” Kai expressed sarcastically.

“Why? Your face is worth staring at? What a narcissistic ‘Luhanic’ comment!” she laughed.

“Aish!” Kai stared at Seyoon’s laughing face. “Now you’re laughing,” he said as he sat on one of the stools facing the counter.

Seyoon stopped laughing and looked at Kai. “What do you mean?”

“Even if you won’t say anything, obviously there’s something wrong with you. Do you even realize that you stayed in your room for almost three hours? And you’re staring blankly at the sink. Seyoon, do you have any problem that you’re not telling me?”

But, how about to cry with, who will still be there for you?

“Kai…” Seyoon stared at Kai’s eyes. He always had those concerned eyes for her, she could see it. ‘But those were nothing but responsibility, right?’ she asked herself. Kai was only concerned for her because he felt responsible for her and her parents trusted her to him. But more than that…there was nothing.

“Nothing. I don’t have any problem. What are you talking about?” she said, trying to laugh but she knew how it sounded so awkward.

Kai also sensed it but didn’t ask any further. If Seyoon didn’t want to tell him then it was his job to find out.

---

The weather forecasted in an app in Kai’s phone showed that there was a great chance it would rain today. So before he left, he stuck a note to one of the umbrellas in the basket.

“Smile as bright as the sun. But if you can’t help it, at least find a place to shelter yourself. There’s nothing wrong finding a friend to shelter you on your darkest and rainiest days, the umbrella” Seyoon read. She found the umbrella hanging on the door knob just when she was about to leave their house.

Maybe there was nothing wrong believing that there would be someone for her to laugh with and to cry with. She hoped there would be, if not her friends, she hoped it would be him.

Seyoon grabbed the umbrella and stuck the note where it should and always belong.

“Let’s hope it won’t rain today,” she told herself as she opened her door. Luhan was already waiting for her downstairs. She smiled.

‘If there is someone who could really make me smile, it is always you Kai…’

 

 

 

 

 


Btw, I only found out now that you can see those who upvoted your story. I'm such a . Well, upvoting feature wasn't even here when I had my first account in AFF, that was three years ago. But I had to delete it for personal reasons. Anyway, thanks to those who upvoted this story.

Kai, look at you trolling around...^____^

(cr: tumblr, rightful owner)