62 - 1

Just When I Thought I Was Over You
 

LXII - 1

 

 

Some people were willing to do things for their own good without caring too much if they already hurt someone else. Greed is a sin, that’s the fact.

There were also some who were too oblivious that they were already hurting someone else’s feelings and yet they still went on with their lives without looking back. If only ignorance was a crime…

---

Lunch break came without any word from neither Seyoon nor Kris. The panic stirred among their friends of course especially Luhan and Chanyeol who excused themselves from lunch to go to the rooftop with hopes that Kris could finally answer his phone. Forty-five minutes already passed of their one hour break and they still couldn’t reach the older or Seyoon. It was only before the audition that Chanyeol received two messages and neither of each was pleasant to read.

From Kris:

|1:00 pm|

I’ll try to talk to her.

Kris’ ambiguous message only left Chanyeol hanging and when he was about to send him another message, he received another but not from Kris.

From Seyoon:

|1:09 pm|

Promise me that you’ll get the scholarship, Chanyeol. You deserve it.

Neither Kris nor Seyoon ever replied after those messages from them for the whole day even though Chanyeol bombarded them with countless questions of their whereabouts.

Where are you Seyoon? Why aren’t you here?

---

Kai remembered hearing noises the morning Seyoon left their house. He lied when he said that Seyoon already left when he woke up. The truth was he wasn’t able to sleep that night after talking with Seyoon. Never mind the pictures; he just couldn’t accept the fact that he turned his back on her when she even pleaded him to trust her. Trust. He always trusted her but he just couldn’t understand why Seyoon couldn’t explain to him anything. Instead, she just apologized as if admitting that she was the one who took those pictures and gave it to Henry.

If she was concealing something, what was it or who was it?

He was awake that time but he decided to stay lying on his bed when he heard the door of his room slowly opening. He shut his eyes tightly as he mentally cursed himself for forgetting to cover his body with a blanket. He heard light steps approaching him. He knew that Seyoon was near him as he could hear her soft breathing. Although he wanted to open his eyes, he couldn’t.

He felt his bed dipped just near his head and he knew that Seyoon was sitting beside him. It wasn’t long before a shadow casted over him. Without opening his eyes, he knew that Seyoon concealed the blanket over him, warming his body. But none of it was warmer than the touch of her fingers slowly brushing off the hair that was covering his eyes. It was tender and warm that Kai almost wanted to open his eyes and take her hands with him. But, he stayed firm and pretended to be asleep.

He wished he could’ve apologized to her to whatever he did last night but he didn’t.

It was already late when he felt her weight lifted from his bed side. He could only hear a light ruckus as if there was something being put on the top of his nightstand.

When he heard his door being closed (as well as the main entrance door being closed), he immediately pulled himself up. It was too early for Seyoon to leave, he thought. But what caught his attention were a small note and a pair of white shoelaces at the top of his nightstand.

“Sehun said that these shoelaces are lucky to you. I hope they’ll bring you luck for the audition. Do what you always do – dance with you heart. I believe you can do it!”

Kai felt the wave of guilt crushing him. Maybe there was nothing wrong believing her. He should have believed in her the way she believed in him.

Or it’s too late to apologize now…

---

“Chanyeol!”

Chanyeol heard his name being called before bumping into someone as the two weights fell on the floor. Unfortunately, it wasn’t a soft landing and a loud thud was heard across the hall.

“Ah…” Chanyeol whined in pain. “Why do you look like you’re in a rush, Luhan?” he asked as Luhan, who already got up from the floor, lend him a hand.

“Sorry but I need you to come with me,” the other boy asked with panic-filled eyes.

“Actually, I also have something to tell you but the audition is already starting. I can’t leave.”

“Oh, you don’t have to worry about that. The audition for the music course will start later. The dance audition will be up first.”

“How do you know?” Chanyeol’s brows creased.

“Because….Oh, no need for an explanation. Let’s go!” said Luhan as he tugged Chanyeol to run with him.

“Hey, where exactly are you taking me?!”

Luhan didn’t look back but answered, “To the student council room.”

---

“Hey, are you ready?”

“Sehun?”

Putting back the note and the shoelaces that Seyoon gave him this morning inside his bag, Kai spun around to see Sehun leaning against the door of the waiting room, arms crossed in front of him.

“I…I’m fine,” Kai stammered while trying to pull a smile but couldn’t hide the fact that it was broken.

Sehun sighed before entering the room as closed the door behind him. “You don’t look alright at all. Well, not as well as the Kai I knew five years ago. No offense to Krystal—”

Huh? Why is Sehun mentioning Krystal’s name all of sudden? If Kai was right, he remembered not hearing Sehun mentioning or inserting Krystal in their conversation ever. In fact, Sehun never really talked to him or asked him about his personal relationship. He always thought that Sehun didn’t like Krystal for some reason.

“—But I think that the Kai five years ago was better and looked well in my eyes. That Kai has the right to say that he’s well and fine. Unlike now…” Sehun narrowed his gaze at Kai with his unwavering eyes.

Damn, Kai cursed. He looks deadpan serious. “What do you mean?”

“Don’t mind me. All I’m saying is that you don’t have to pretend that you’re okay in front of me. We’ve known each other since we are young.”

“But…I’m fine.”

Sehun looked at him lazily. “Right. If you insist that you’re fine then fine. I’ll leave it as it is. By the way,” Kai saw Sehun’s gaze traveled down on the lace and the note on the table. “You’ve received the shoelaces from Seyoon?”

“How did you—“ Suddenly, Kai remembered that Seyoon mentioned Sehun on the note. “Ah, yes. Did you tell her about it?”

Sehun swayed his head. “No. She asked me about it a week ago, you know the things we usually do before entering a competition and I told her about the laces. They always bring us luck. Anyway, I have to go I—“

“But, what do you mean when you talked about that ‘Kai of five years ago’? And what does it have to do with Krystal?”

Sehun sighed again. This time his eyes looked at Kai coldly as if he was tired answering the question even if he hadn’t said a single word.

“I don’t know.” He shrugged. “Just think about it, Kai. What significant thing happened five years ago that you left two years ago? I think it’s one way for you to find your real self again. Nonetheless, I still believe you can do great in the audition. Good luck Kkamjong.”

With that Sehun hugged him as he tapped his back before pulling as he smiled at Kai. He was about to turn the knob when he turned around. “Oh,” he stopped and looked at Kai, “Kyungsoo and I found something in the student council room today. Something being thrown on the trash. You can drop by later to find what it is. You shouldn’t let important things go, Kai. It may not come back for real,” and Sehun closed the door before Kai even uttered a word of question.

“What does he mean by that? And what’s with name Kkamjong?!”

---

“What is it that you want to show me?” Chanyeol asked once he entered the student council room. Kyungsoo and Baekhyun were also there and it seemed like the two were staring blankly on some torn papers on the table. “What is that?” Chanyeol asked.

Baekhyun turned his head to look at his friend but said nothing. On the other hand, Chanyeol shifted his gaze at Kyungsoo who was busy putting the torn papers back together with a tape.

“I shouldn’t have given her the key of the file cabinet, I never saw this coming. Why did she do this?” Chanyeol heard Kyungsoo whimpered.

“Just like what Sehun said a while ago, it’s not your fault Kyung. None of us knows why she did this,” said Baekhyun as he rubbed Kyungsoo’s back.

Chanyeol felt a hand on his shoulder as he turned his head and looked at Luhan. “They saw Seyoon’s application torn and was thrown away on the trashcan. Kyungsoo said that Seyoon borrowed the key of the file cabinet and she was also the last person who got hold of the applications yesterday.”

“But…” Chanyeol approached the table and saw the application which clearly belonged to Seyoon. Her handwriting and her picture clearly showed that it was hers. “Why would she…she promised me, us. We even practiced together. I don’t understand.”

Luhan just stood there as he watched Chanyeol almost broke onto the verge of crying. Baekhyun stood up and rubbed Chanyeol’s back to console him.

“Maybe that’s why she’s not here right now. Maybe she already planned not to audition today,” said Luhan.

“And that explains her message to me,” Chanyeol mumbled.

“What message?”

“Just a while ago, I received a message from her saying that I should do my best to get the scholarship. But we promised to each other that the two of us will aim for it no matter what the results are. I don’t understand. Why would she back out all of a sudden?”

“Do you think we should call her?” Luhan asked.

“I already tried that but I think she turned off her phone.”

“I’m sure there’s a reason why she did this,” said Kyungsoo.

“If there’s a reason then what is it? We all helped her. You were there Baekhyun and Kyungsoo. We did everything to help her. She was ready. She seemed enthusiastic about it. What could’ve been the reason for her to suddenly back out?” Chanyeol whined.

“Don’t you think she’s hiding something from us just like when Luhan’s fanclub president tried to bully her?” asked Baekhyun but he suddenly covered his mouth with his hand when he realized what he had just said. Kyungsoo and Chanyeol looked at him. Even Luhan, who was trying to process what Baekhyun had said, suddenly looked at him in disbelief.

“Wait! Say what? Ji Eun bullied Seyoon? When was that? I don’t…even know that. Why didn’t she say anything to me?” Luhan looked at Chanyeol, quite desperate for an answer.

Baekhyun forgot that Luhan was the only one who wasn’t informed of that incident since it was what Seyoon wanted, not to inform him anything about it.

“Ahh, it happened a few weeks back but that was over so—”

“Over? Ji Eun tried to harm Seyoon but it seemed like it was nothing to you? I didn’t even have a chance to help.”

“Sorry Luhan. It’s Seyoon’s decision not to say anything to you. She’s afraid that you might change the way you treat Ji Eun. Besides, Ji Eun already apologized for everything that she did. In fact, they are okay now,” said Baekhyun, putting his hand on Luhan’s shoulder for assurance.

“But what if she has something to do with this again? I need to talk to her.”

Before Luhan even made a move, Chanyeol already blocked the door with his long extending hands. Luhan knew that he couldn’t let himself out if Chanyeol was there. He was way too huge compared to him.

“What are you doing?” asked Luhan with an annoyed expression.

“Stopping you, what else?” Chanyeol sternly replied.

“You don’t have to confront her Luhan. It will appear as if you are accusing her for the things we don’t even know if she has done it,” said Kyungsoo.

“And what if she’s the reason for all of this?”

“But you can’t just go there and confront her for it. Besides, the classes are still on going.”

Luhan’s tensed expression suddenly turned mellow as he slumped on the long couch. Chanyeol heaved a deep sigh before plopping next to Luhan, burying his head on his hands.

“What do we do now?” he asked with words being muffled with his hands.

“What else? The best thing we could do right now is to do what Seyoon told you to do – do your best for the competition,” said Baekhyun.

Chanyeol lifted his head when he felt Luhan tapping his back and nodding his head as Baekhyun rested his hand on his shoulder with a reassuring smile.

“You can do it,” said Luhan.

---

Kai tied his laces just right because he knew he was the one next in line to audition. Surprisingly, he wasn’t feeling that nervous as what he used to be every time he used to dance on the stage. The stage fright that used to contribute to his nervousness seemed to tone down. Maybe it has something to do with laces? Or maybe it has something to do with what Sehun said to him earlier.

“What significant thing happened four years ago that you left two years ago?”

“Kai of four years ago…what does it have to do with things that happened two years ago?” he mumbled.

“Still thinking of what I said to you?”

Kai gasped as he was taken aback when Sehun suddenly appeared backstage behind him.

“Don’t scare me like that!”

“You look scarier when you’re talking by yourself like that.” Kai stared at him with a grimaced look but Sehun just smirked and turned to his list. “You’re up next by the way according to this list. Just concentrate on your performance.”

“Concentrate? You’re saying things that I don’t even understand and you want me to concentrate? You’re unbelievable,” Kai fumed. 

But Sehun remained with an apathetic expression and Kai didn’t like it at all. “How did I even befriend someone as obtuse as you? Tsk.” Sehun peeked at the stage to see if the prior auditions were still there, and they were. Then, he pulled Kai to a more secluded space backstage. “Look,” he whispered that only he and Kai would hear. “I’ve wanted to tell you this since a long time ago.”

“What is it?”

“Sshh, just listen to everything I’ll say.”

Kai nodded before motioning his head closer to Sehun.

“You. Are. An,” Kai just nodded in every word that Sehun was telling him. “Idiot,” Sehun whispered softly to Kai’s ears.

“Right…Wait, what?!”

“Just concentrate on your performance. Luhan helped you, right? I’m sure you’ll do fine. Remember when we compete against his group five years ago? You said that you’re not dancing for the competition. You said that you’re dancing because someone believes in what you can do – someone believes in you. Oh well, I guess you’re next. Good luck!” Without any warning, Sehun shoved Kai towards the stage. He motioned his hand for Kai to go on.

If it was already five years since I compete with Luhan then it also means that it was already five years since I met— Kai looked back at Sehun who was giving him what now look Kai five years ago was the Kai who first met Seyoon and the Kai two years ago was the Kai who…let go of Seyoon for someone else. I am really an idiot.

“Ok, next. Name?”

“I am Kim Jongin.”

“You’ll be performing—”

“Into Your World”

“Okay, let’s see your performance.”

Dance with my heart for Seyoon.

---

When Chanyeol and Baekhyun left to go to the theater hall, Luhan was left with Kyungsoo in the student council room. None of them still seemed to feel at ease despite their effort to have Chanyeol audition without Seyoon. They knew that it was hard for their friend to enter the competition knowing that he entered it with Seyoon. But he couldn’t just quit so Luhan, Baekhyun, and Kyungsoo made a lot of convincing before Chanyeol pulled himself up half motivated. Baekhyun went after him to help him conceal the puffiness of his eyes due to crying.

Kyungsoo remained in the room to put Seyoon’s torn application back although he knew that it already had no use while Luhan was still contemplating whether he would talk to Ji Eun or not.

“By the way, does Kai know that Seyoon is not here?” Kyungsoo asked Luhan.

Luhan swayed his head. “I don’t think so. Well, he went to school without Seyoon and he said the Seyoon already left earlier. After that, we never had the chance to talk so I think he still doesn’t know.”

Kyungsoo just nodded before going back to what he was doing. “To be honest, I am kind of pissed off with Kai lately. Well, not that I am angry at him to an extent. I just don’t like the way he was neglecting his friends. You know—”

Luhan bemusedly looked at Kyungsoo whose back was facing him. It was the first time that he heard Kyungsoo talking about his friends, moreover, talking about Kai. Well, it was not as if he was able to talk to Kyungsoo that much. Besides, there was something about Kyungsoo’s owl-liked eyes that he found scary. It was as if the boy was always thinking of something else.

“I never really like Krystal.”

And he’s pretty straightforward too, Luhan thought. “What?”

Kyungsoo turned around with a pout on his face. “I said I don’t like Krystal at all.” He already finished taping Seyoon’s application so he went to Luhan and sat beside him. “There’s something really unlikable about her.”

“Wait, why are saying that to me? I—”

“I’m telling you this because I can see that you’re also a good friend to Seyoon. Well, to be honest, I thought at first that you’re just a conceited annoying diva who will do anything to get what he wants.”

Luhan pouted because seriously, Kyungsoo’s words were hurting him. Way too straightforward.

“But then I saw how you tried to pursue Seyoon slowly without forcing her to go out with you. And I can see how you really cared for her so—”

“You’re a great friend too,” Luhan interrupted with a smile. Kyungsoo just looked at him with his forever shocked-looking eyes but it turned into crescents when he smiled back.

“Well, finding a great friend like Seyoon is rare. I know how much he likes Kai.”

Even he knows that Seyoon likes Kai. “Yeah but Kai is too ignorant to know.”

“Nah. He’s not. He’s just too distracted by his teenage hormone that’s why. I saw it with my two eyes—”

Correction, two big eyes.

“—How his relationship with Krystal started. At first, we were shocked when he said that to us. I just didn’t expect that he would fall for her way too fast and early. It’s obvious that Kai also liked Seyoon that time yet he was distracted by his hormones and teenage necessities. It just happened that Seyoon was hanging out with Chanyeol often for some reason and then Krystal came and…Argh!”

Wow, he’s also short-tempered.

“Kai is also my friend so I didn’t say anything against his new found relationship but that girl, that – ah!”

“Sshh,” Luhan rubbed Kyungsoo’s back. Somehow, he feared for his life more than anything. It seemed like the boy beside him had a lot of frustrations he kept with him through the years and Luhan was afraid that Kyungsoo would burst soon. He might die in a very untimely death.

“I don’t know if it’s right to you this but I’ll tell you anyway. Two years ago, Seyoon actually withdrawn herself from us.”

“Withdrawn? What do you mean?”

“It is not only that Seyoon stopped talking to Kai but also to us. And it hurts to see her alone like that and Kai doesn’t even know what he had done.”

Luhan noticed how Kyungsoo’s hand which resting on his knees, turned into ball of fists in frustration.

“Why? Was it because Kai started dating Krystal?”

“Of course not!” Luhan was surprised when Kyungsoo’s voice suddenly increased but Kyungsoo realized that he almost shouted so he bowed his head slightly and toned down his voice. “No…Seyoon is not like that. She even tried to be happy for Kai even though we knew what she really felt inside. Her smile has also changed since then. It doesn’t reach her eyes anymore. Worse, she rarely smiled back then.”

“Kyungsoo?”

“Hm?”

“May I know the reason why Seyoon stopped hanging out with you? What exactly did Kai do?”

Kyungsoo looked at Luhan, lips pursed as if he was hesitating to tell something but Luhan looked back with pleading eyes. He knew that he got Kyungsoo when the other deeply sighed. “Fine. Besides, this secret couldn’t be kept forever.”

Luhan celebrated inwardly.

“Like what I said, Seyoon was trying her best to accept Krystal and Kai’s relationship. In fact, there was once a time when Kai invited Krystal to have lunch with us and it went well at least. Even though I really hate that girl.”

He’s really consistent, Luhan thought.

“Anyway, our freshman days went by without us even knowing and so we decided that we will have our vacation together. We stayed in one of Sehun’s villas.”

“One of? Is that kid that rich?”

“Filthy. Anyway, during our last night together some of the boys, Sehun and Baekhyun to be exact, brought something that isn’t allowed.”

“Let me guess. It was alcohol, isn’t it?”

Kyungsoo nodded before continuing. “I remember scolding Sehun and Baekhyun after that incident,” he mumbled.

It was official, Luhan mentally noted, never to mess up with Kyungsoo – never!

“Kai got drunk and the next thing we knew…”

 

~*~

“Krystal?”

Seyoon went downstairs to get a glass of water. Somehow, the cold weather was not helping her to get some sleep. She found the light of the veranda still meaning the boys were still out there. When she reached the kitchen, to her surprise, someone called her name. Without turning around, she already knew the owner of that voice.

“Krystal?” he repeatedly called.

“Kai, what are you doing here? Are the rests still out there?” Seyoon asked when she saw Kai standing behind her, hand holding on the kitchen island to propped himself up.

“Krystal I—” Kai reached up for her and Seyoon noticed that Kai was moving unsteadily. The reek of alcohol permeated in the air.

“Wait, do I smell alcohol? Did you drink?”

Kai just smiled at her as he approached closer. Seyoon found herself stepping back before her back touched the fridge. Before she could even escape, Kai already pinned his arms beside her head, his head drawing closer. In a matter of seconds, she just felt his lips into hers. She was sure, she definitely smelt alcohol.

“Kai, what—” Kai tried to steal another kiss but with one strong push, Seyoon was able to push Kai away from her. “What are you doing?!”

~*~

 

“We heard Seyoon screamed from the kitchen so we rushed to go inside the house and—”

“And?” Luhan was now holding Kyungsoo’s shoulder. He didn’t know that he was squeezing his arms tightly because he was desperate to know what Kai did to Seyoon.

“You’re holding me tightly,” Kyungsoo glared.

“Sorry,” Luhan let go.

“We found Kai on the floor and Seyoon leaning against the fridge. She looked surprised and afraid but we don’t know what happened. The next thing I heard was Kai chuckling on the floor. It sounded scary and pitiful laugh. And then…”

 

~*~

Kai stumbled on the floor as Seyoon stared at him wide-eyed. After a minute, must have been because of her voice, her friends rushed into the kitchen to see what was happening. No one had said a thing until Kai just started chuckling on the floor.

“What happened? Seyoon, what happened?” Chanyeol reached for Seyoon while Sehun and Baekhyun tried to reach out for Kai but Kai swatted their hands away.

“He’s drunk,” said Baekhyun.

“Seyoon? Oh, I thought it was Krystal. Her back was facing me and I thought she was Krystal so I— Never mind. I’m sorry.” Kai tried to stand up, feet wobbling with his every attempt. Sehun tried to help him again but Kai was too stubborn to grab for help. “Maybe if you’re a little more different than Krystal then maybe—”

“What are you saying? You’re drunk,” Baekhyun tried to stop Kai but he never listened.

“Maybe you should cut your hair you know.”

 “Don’t listen to her Seyoon. I never thought he’d get drunk after two mug-full chugs. It’s our fault,” said Chanyeol.

“Maybe if you don’t look like Krystal maybe—” Seconds after, they just heard a loud snapped echoing inside the kitchen. Kyungsoo’s hand found their way on Kai’s face.

Slapped!

And in a matter of seconds or maybe Kyungsoo’s strong hand, Kai was already on the floor, knocked out.

Seyoon found her face buried in Chanyeol’s shirt. Chanyeol found his chest feeling wet with Seyoon’s trembling head pressed on him. Sehun and Baekhyun found themselves shocked with what happened. And Kyungsoo somehow felt relieved after days of wanting to do something to Kai for having a girlfriend he didn’t approve of.

And somehow their night ended like that, bitter and unresolved.

But no one really knew about Kai’s frustration that time. No one really knew how the alcohol somehow made him feel stupid and oblivious but he felt so good – because somehow he was able to tell what he really felt inside. And no one knew what should really come out from his mouth if only Kyungsoo didn’t stop him from slapping his face so hard.

“Maybe if you don’t look like Krystal then maybe, I’ll never see you in her. Maybe, I’ll never be confused like this.”

~*~

 

Somehow, Luhan understood now why Kyungsoo was mad at Kai and he couldn’t stop himself from being angry too. Although he wasn’t there at that time, he felt like he wanted to punch Kai right now.

“Kai didn’t really remember anything the next morning so Seyoon asked us to just let what happened go, be forgotten.”

“Why would she want that? I don’t understand.”

“The same way as she tried to hide about what Ji Eun did to her. She wanted to maintain the friendship between you and Ji Eun, between her and Kai but…She wasn’t able to. We were just shocked when we entered second year and her hair was already cut short. The first few days she still managed to talk to Kai although it’s really hard to see her painstakingly going through with their relationship. I knew she wasn’t able to go on when few weeks after and she already stopped talking to Kai. She avoided him in every way. But what hurts the most is that she also started avoiding us. If only Chanyeol wasn’t the persistent one, we might have lost contact of her.”

Luhan sunk back on the couch wishing that the couch would swallow him whole. He didn’t realize that Seyoon had been through all of that because of Kai. And Kai, that if-only-I-could-curse boy.

“Thank you,”

“Huh? What for?”

“For slapping Kai.”

“Yeah, that felt good actually. But of course, Kai is also my friend. I know that he never meant anything he had said. If ever, that girl might have instilled bad aura in him.”

Luhan laughed with Kyungsoo’s words especially when he pouted whenever he mentioned Krystal. For a moment the two of them found themselves laughing loudly inside the room.

“You just don’t know but I celebrated inwardly when I found out about their arranged marriage. Although it is forced, somehow it helped the two of them to interact with each other again. But of course, Kai is still committed to a relationship and I don’t think he still feel the same way towards Seyoon like before.”

“Oh, I’m sure Kai likes Seyoon until now,” Luhan guaranteed.

“What? Really? Is it just because he felt responsible for Seyoon and their agreement?”

Luhan swayed his finger. “No, no. You see, my friend, I’ve witness a lot lately and I’m sure that Kai still likes Seyoon.”

“But Seyoon, she doesn’t seem to like Kai anymore. She’s close with the director of our play, Kris—”

“Oh no. You’ve just mistaken something. They’re close because they are best friends but nothing more than that. If only you knew—”

“Only knew what?”

“Nothing. Anyway, maybe we should get going. I would really like to talk to Ji Eun. And I promise I will never get mad at her or anything.”

“Fine. But I’ll go with you.”

“Okay.” The two stood up and was about to leave the room. “Ah, Kyungsoo?” Luhan suddenly asked.

“Hmm?” Kyungsoo looked at him with his usual wide eyes.

“Will you punch Kai for me if he still doesn’t get his feelings right?”

Kyungsoo looked at him, a little surprised but then he smiled. “Sure. I might need something to release my stress about school works lately. Maybe that’s a good excuse.”

---

Kai felt lighter after the audition. Dancing with his heart out surely released some heavy feelings he was keeping inside. But there was still something he wanted to settle once and for all. If Seyoon believed in her then he had to believe in her too.

Kai traveled down the hallway towards the waiting room for the other students who would audition. He tried to look for Seyoon among the crowd but he didn’t seem to see her. He hoped that he could at least see his other friend, the giant one, because the one was always with Seyoon for sure but Chanyeol wasn’t also there.

“I wonder where they are.”

He turned to another corner when he saw Krystal talking with his music coach, Mr. Lau. Kai thought for a while but maybe giving Krystal some word of good luck wouldn’t bring harm so he tried to approach them. The two didn’t seem to notice his presence at all. Kai decided that he would just wait until the two were finished with their conversation but Henry’s words caught Kai to listen to them.

“I don’t see Seyoon anywhere,” he heard Henry said.

“Well, I heard that she’s also not here this morning. She might have believed in everything you have said to her.”

Kai felt his stomach churned. He never saw that look on Krystal before, wicked and devious. She was even smiling as if she was happy that Seyoon wasn’t there.

“At least you don’t have to worry for any competitions anymore. The scholarship is surely yours and—”

“Kai, what are you doing here?” Baekhyun suddenly came from nowhere.

Both Henry and Krystal turned their heads towards Kai’s direction with Krystal staring wide-eyed at Kai.

“I just thought of visiting someone but I guess it doesn’t matter anymore. I have to go.”

“Oh,” was all Baekhyun’s reply and he didn’t understand why Krystal looked as if she had seen a ghost.

“Kai!” Krystal called his name repeatedly but he didn’t turn back. Instead, he went to the other side of the backstage.

“Hey, what are you doing here? You’re already done. You did great anyway—” Sehun stopped when he saw Kai sweating profusely as if he just ran from somewhere far. “What happened to you?”

“Seyoon, she—” He tried to catch his breath before talking. “Was she here this morning or not?” he asked.

Sehun looked at him with a scowl. “So, you only noticed now. Tsk. You’re really slow.”

“She’s not here?”

“No.”

Kai clenched his fists and his teeth gritted in anger. “Did you bring your car here?”

“Huh? What about my car?”

“Is it downstairs?”

“Yes. The driver is also there but why are you— Hey! Where are you going?” Sehun shouted when Kai already started running towards the exit door.

“I’ll just borrow your car and your driver for a while!”

“Huh? What?! Kai!”

Kai could only hear Sehun’s voice fainted when he closed the door. He ran to the main hall to get to the exit when he stumbled upon Kyungsoo and Luhan.

“Hey, where are you going?” Luhan asked.

“Somewhere. Do you happen to know where is Seyoon right now?” he looked at Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo looked at Luhan then back at Kai. “She’s not here.”

“I know but do you know where she is right now?”

Kyungsoo swayed his head. “I don’t think she’ll be here Kai she—”

“I’ll just look for her then.” Kai started walking again to the exit.

“Wait. What? You don’t even know where she is!” Luhan shouted.

“That’s why I’ll look for her!” he replied. And I’ll make sure to bring her to place where she should be right now.

“Maybe you don’t need to punch him anymore,” Luhan muttered to Kyungsoo.

“Maybe I will if I don’t see him with Seyoon here later.”

---

“Seyoon? What are you doing here?”