43

Just When I Thought I Was Over You
 

XLIII

 

 

Before Seyoon went home, she made sure that her locker was empty as she brought all of her books with her. It was a weighty load but she had no choice. She didn’t want to be punished again. Like what her teacher told her, she was supposed to be a good role model. She didn’t want to ruin her reputation especially as the Vice President of the student council. Aside from that, she didn’t want to end up borrowing all of Kai’s books. Borrowing once was enough.

She thought that she totally lost Kai after not seeing him every morning. But she found out that he was still there for her no matter what. And she felt happy that Kai really ran after her just to let her borrow his book. What was more surprising was the fact that he never forgot what he promised to her during their middle school days. The sad thing was that most of what they envisioned that time never really happened. They didn’t end up being classmates just when they were already in their last year of high school.

---

The next day, just when Seyoon thought that things wouldn’t get worse, it did.

“Seyoon!” Kyungsoo suddenly called her. She was still in the middle of the hallway when Kyungsoo grabbed her hand.

“What are you? Chanyeol no. 2?” Luhan asked. But Kyungsoo didn’t seem to hear him as he continued dragging Seyoon with him. “Whatever. I’ll just see you later Seyoon,” Luhan shouted before going to the opposite direction where his homeroom was.

“Did something happen?” Seyoon asked Kyungsoo.

The two entered as the rest of the class had their eyes on Seyoon. Seyoon didn’t know why everyone was looking at her like that until she looked at the direction of her desk.

“It’s gone…” she mumbled. Her desk which was besides Lay’s was nowhere to be found.

“Didn’t the classroom cleaners clean the desks yesterday?” one of their classmate asked.

“Yes, we did. But I swear, we returned each desk,” one of the cleaners yesterday defended.

“Are you sure?” Sehun asked.

“Well…” the boy stayed silent for a while. “Actually, I left earlier because I still have to practice for our soccer game. But Chanyeol said that he’d return the remaining desks by himself,” he pleaded.

“Chanyeol?” Sehun asked.

Suddenly they heard Xiumin’s voice. “Look, your desk is down there!”

Seyoon looked at the window and found the desk lying on the bushes. The chair was not far behind. When she turned around to get it, Chanyeol suddenly entered their room. All of their eyes were fixed on him but he just continued walking and sat on his desk.

Sehun was about to ask him when Seyoon gave him a signal saying not to continue anymore.

“I’ll help you carry it,” Sehun volunteered as he stood up and accompanied Seyoon downstairs. Kyungsoo just looked at Chanyeol who didn’t seem to care of what was happening. But he saw how Chanyeol’s gaze was fixed on the spot where Seyoon’s desk was supposed to be.

---

“You don’t think Chanyeol has something to do with—” Sehun looked at Seyoon.

“What are you saying? He’s our friend. He wouldn’t do such thing,” she said.

“I know. I’m sorry. It’s just that he’s acting weird lately.”

‘Even Sehun notices it,’ Seyoon thought. “Well, maybe he has a problem that he doesn’t want to tell us. You know Chanyeol very well. Not even once that we heard him say his personal problems to us. Maybe, he really has a problem and he didn’t want us to worry about him.”

“Uhm, I guess you’re partly right. But Seyoon…” Both stopped right in front of the desk. Seyoon went to carry the chair while Sehun carried the desk.

“What are you about to say?” Seyoon asked Sehun.

“Chanyeol only acts weird…never mind.”

“Huh? Say it. What is it?”

“He only acts weird when it comes to you.”

Seyoon stopped walking. “What do you mean?”

“We actually ate in their dorm yesterday and Chanyeol was pretty much the noisy virus spreader that he used to be. I don’t know why he’s acting different in front of you,” said Sehun.

---

Exactly when Seyoon and Sehun returned with her desk, Lay just arrived and was about to sit on his seat when he noticed something wrong.

“This desk is moving,” he said.

“What do you mean?” Xiumin asked and sat on the chair. After seconds of moving and creaking sounds, the chair collapsed, leaving Xiumin on the floor while holding his hurting bottom.

Everyone in their class started laughing.

“Are you an idiot? You know that it’s already unstable and yet you still moved your and waited until it collapsed,” said Lay as he reached out his hand and help Xiumin stood up.

“Check your desk Seyoon. It might be broken as Lay’s chair,” said Kyungsoo.

“Don’t worry. It’s fine. But what happened to your chair?” Seyoon asked Lay.

“I don’t know. It was perfectly fine yesterday. I guess Xiumin’s weight made it worst.”

“What? I am the one who is hurt here,” said Xiumin as he puffed his face.

“Okay, stop that. I’m pretty sure that Lay’s chair was just an accident. As for Seyoon, we will try to find the person responsible for it. For now, go back to your seats and I hope that the teachers won’t find anything about this before we find an evidence that someone really intended to hurt Lay or pull a prank on Seyoon,” said Sehun.

“Wow, he’s really our president,” Xiumin whispered to Kyungsoo.

“I think there’s a spare desk in the empty classroom at the end of the hallway. Just exchange your chair,” Sehun said to Lay.

Seyoon stared at Lay’s broken chair and then at the chair that she and Sehun just picked up downstairs. She didn’t know if it was just a coincidence or both we’re done by the same person. What was that person trying to prove to her? Who was the ‘him’ that the person was talking about? And if that same person was also the one who tried to break Lay’s chair, does that mean that he/she was also targeting her friends? All of these questions flooded Seyoon’s mind. She wished she could at least have a hint that would lead her to the perpetrator. She had to find that person now before any of her friends would get hurt.

---

Their lunch still remained the same except for the fact that it was quieter than yesterday. And Chanyeol left just a few minutes after finishing his meal. That gave Sehun a chance to ask Baekhyun about Chanyeol’s peculiarity.

“Nope. I don’t think he’s acting strange lately. I mean, I’ve known him for too long and he’s pretty much the same. Why?” Baekhyun asked as he continued eating his lunch.

“Well, didn’t you notice how quiet he was? Just like now. And he immediately left. Isn’t that weird?” asked Kyungsoo.

“Hmm? How will I say this?” Baekhyun thought for a while. “Chanyeol’s silence could only mean one thing.”

“What’s that?” Kyungsoo, Sehun, and Seyoon looked at him. Xiumin, Lay, and Luhan were also there but they were busy watching a Chinese movie from Xiumin’s tablet.

“That he’s keeping a huge secret.” The three looked at each other with their confused faces. “The last time that I saw him like that was when he surprised me during my birthday,” Baekhyun was holding his chin and nodded.

“That’s it?” Sehun asked.

“Yes. Unless he’s trying to be a hero or something,” Baekhyun replied.

“What do you mean?” asked Seyoon.

“Nothing. I just thought of it. Never mind. Just believe me. He’s pretty much the same. After a week, he’d probably let it out and he’s noisy again,” said Baekhyun, his face was calm as still water and Sehun and Kyungsoo looked at him and shrugged. If there was anyone they could ask for advice regarding Chanyeol, Baekhyun was the perfect one. But it seemed like their friend didn’t give them enough insight.

“Let’s just listen to Baekhyun,” said Sehun. Kyungsoo and Seyoon nodded to him.

“What are you talking about?” asked Luhan.

“Nothing,” Seyoon replied to him.

“By the way Seyoon, Kai told me that he will put the book in your locker. Hmpf! Why didn’t you borrow mine?” Luhan pouted.

“Why would I? Your Chinese notes will just hurt my eyes.”

“Why? You also have to learn how to speak Mandarin someday. It’s your unavoidable fate. Besides, I am not writing notes so it’s as clean as a brand new book” said Luhan with a grin on his face.

“What are you trying to imply huh?” The two continued to tease each other which made their whole lunch noisy for the first time.

---

Seyoon went to her locker as what Luhan told her. She was still hesitant to open her locker as if the whole incident conditioned her mind that opening her locking would result into something not really good. But to her surprise, she found the book that Kai lend her inside.

“Oh Seyoon!” she heard someone called her.

“Kai? Thank you for this,” she said as she held the book to show Kai.

“Huh? But…” Kai looked at the book and the book in his hand. Seyoon saw it too. “I was just supposed to put it there.”

“But if that was your book. Then whose book is this?”

‘Maybe that’s Luhan’s book. Tsk. Whatever. If he wanted to help then let him be,’ Kai thought.

“I have to find the owner so I could return this. The problem is that it doesn’t have a name,” said Seyoon.

“No. Just use it. I think the owner really wants to help you. You don’t want to turn down a grace coming directly to you.”

“But, what if—”

“Just accept it. It doesn’t have any notes or anything, does it?”

Seyoon scanned the pages and found a clean, brand new like book. “None.”

“Maybe he just doesn’t want to inform you about his identity. Just receive it,” Kai said to her, smiling.

“Alright. But I really have to find the owner of this book and thank him,” she said.

“Sure. Well, I guess you’ll not need mine anymore. I’ll just put this in my locker. But if you change your mind and can’t take to use Mr. Anonymous’ book, then just open my locker,” Kai said. He left after putting the book in his locker while Seyoon just examined her book closely.

“Is this Luhan’s?” she asked herself.

---

Seyoon went to school the next day and found a desk smeared with blank ink.