46

Just When I Thought I Was Over You
 

XLVI

 

 

“Don’t worry. I’m already here…” he whispered softly, like a soft warm wind brushing on Seyoon’s ear. It was comforting, a feeling of protection.

“Kai…I’m sorry,” Seyoon mumbled, almost inaudible, but because of the limited space they were in, Kai could hear every word she said.

Kai didn’t understand why she had to apologize. There was nothing she should apologize for. If there was someone who should apologize, Kai knew that it was him.

“No, please don’t apologize. Just, just let your feelings out. I am here, Seyoon. I am here,” said Kai, his one hand softly caressing Seyoon’s hair while the other still captured her in an embrace.

Seyoon wished right at that moment that the phone booth didn’t exist. That they weren’t under a roof but a heavy pouring rain. Because the moment he heard Kai’s voice and felt his presence encircling her, her tears started to fall. She wished the tears would blend with the droplets of rain.

The tears gently fall on Kai’s arms encircling her. She wished Kai wouldn’t notice it since his blazer was already soaked with rain. She also wished that the rain would pour so hard so Kai wouldn’t hear her soft cries.  

But Kai was not insensitive enough not feel her trembling body, to hear her sobbing sounds, to feel the tears falling on his arms. Kai slowly turned Seyoon to face him. Her head was still lowered, facing the floor, until she found the courage to slowly ascend her gaze. It was only now that she realized how Kai was more drenched in the rain than she was despite the fact that he was holding an umbrella. Seyoon could see Kai’s concerned face, water dripping from his hair. She stopped and narrowed her eyes on his coffee-colored irises.

 “I am sorry,” she heard Kai said. “I am sorry if I am too blind to see what you’ve been going through.”

“What are—”

“Please. Please let me protect you if not forever, just this one time. Please, let me be with you. I don’t like seeing you like this.”

Seyoon’s vision blurred again when the tears started to accumulate, waiting to fall in the brim of her eyes. It was then, and without second thought, that she felt Kai’s soft lips pressed on her forehead. For a moment, it was as if the world stops outside the phone booth. Everything turned into silence. All she could hear was the intense beating of her heart, doubled, tripled, quadrupled, she didn’t know how it quickly paced as if racing for something, something that she could reach, but wouldn’t.

---

Kai and Seyoon went home that day sharing the umbrella that Kai got from the old man on the convenience store. They didn’t talk on their way home but their hands were linked together. Kai made sure that he was holding her securely.

After changing her clothes, Seyoon noticed a crumpled note on the floor which she knew wasn’t there before. When she opened it, she was shocked to see the note that the anonymous sent her.

“Why is it here? It must be…”

Then, she heard a knock on her door. Kai entered with a cup of ramyeon in his hand. “I know you haven’t eaten yet so I made this,” he said as he offered the cup to Seyoon. He didn’t know how to cook but at least, he knew how to prepare ramyeon. It was the best he could do. Suddenly, he noticed that Seyoon was holding the note he crumpled earlier. “That…”

“Have you read this?” Seyoon asked her. Kai didn’t answer but gave her a nod.

“Can you forget about it just for today? You’ve been through a lot today. Can you just…”

“Don’t worry. In fact, I’ll throw this right now and eat that ramyeon that you made,” Seyoon said with a smile, the best she could pull off right now.

Kai watched her as she tossed the paper on the bin beside her desk. Then she sat down and started eating the ramyeon that Kai gave her. Seyoon noticed that Kai never left his spot on the doorway and just stared at her as she ate.

“Aren’t you going to eat something too?” Seyoon asked her with the noodles still hanging on .

Kai chuckled as she observed her eat. “I already finished my ramyeon while you’re changing your clothes.”

“Ah, alright. But, why are you still here in my room?” Seyoon asked.

“Nothing. I’ll just be here,” said Kai as he plopped on the armchair near Seyoon’s bed. “I’ll be here until you fell asleep,” he said, bending sideways as his cheek propped in his palms.

“What?! Why do you have to do that?” Seyoon asked frantically.

“Sshh…just finish that and sleep. I’m sleepy too. You don’t want to be the reason of my lack of sleep, do you?” he teased.

Seyoon frowned at Kai’s command. ‘Why is he like that?’ she thought. Kai suddenly yawned, producing a loud sound.

“Alright. Alright. I’ll sleep now.”

“How about the ramyeon?”

“I already finished it,” said Seyoon, sulking. Kai just observed her as she went to her bed and cover her body with the blanket. She didn’t bother to look at Kai whose eyes were locked on her.

“I’ll turn off the lights,” said Seyoon.

After a while, everything turned silent. Seyoon lifted the blanket and looked at the direction where Kai was sitting. He was already resting on the armchair; his face was well illuminated by the moonlight passing through the window. Seyoon observed it for a moment. Just a while, he was drenched in rain, his hair was dripping wet but as she observed him now, he was sleeping peacefully on the armchair facing her bed.

‘I think I won. Maybe he will not be forever there but at least, he was there when I needed him the most,’ she thought as she observed Kai’s facial features. She stood up and grabbed another blanket from her closet. She blanketed Kai carefully before placing a kiss on his forehead.

“Thank you…”

---

As soon as the door to their apartment opened, Luhan, who was still half asleep, suddenly had his eyes wide open.

“Kai? You’re here…” Luhan smiled with a trace of shock.

“Yeah…Wait here. Seyoon’s almost ready,” Kai told him as Kai went back inside.

‘Why is he here?’ Luhan asked.

The three walked together with an awkwardly. As usual, Luhan was still talking about his project with Myungsoo and how Myungsoo finished everything all by himself yesterday. Seyoon’s eyes were on him but her mind was travelling to Kai’s presence behind them.

Kai was just silently walking beside them which made Seyoon somehow felt guilty that she wasn’t able to talk to Kai at all. He must be distancing himself because of Luhan’s presence.

When they reached the entrance, they saw Baekhyun and Chanyeol coming together.

“Hello!” Baekhyun greeted. Chanyeol just trailed after him but he was avoiding having eye contact to any of them.

“Hi!” Seyoon greeted.

Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun and it seemed like with just an exchange of glances, Baekhyun suddenly thought of something. “Ah I forgot to ask, Seyoon…” Seyoon looked at Baekhyun. “Are you able to go home safely yesterday? Sorry if I wasn’t able to walk with you to the school.”

“No. You don’t have to apologize. I’m okay,” she replied, trying to act like everything was okay yesterday. Well, it was really okay but that only happened when Kai came for her.

“Well, that’s great.” Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol who seemed to heave a sigh of relief silently behind him.

“Let’s go!” said Luhan as he dragged Seyoon inside.

---

Before joining the boys for lunch, Seyoon decided to return some of her books to her locker since she couldn’t carry the load anymore every day. A few meters away from her locker, she saw a familiar girl standing in front of it. She was fidgeting and looking back and forth to her locker as if she wanted to do something.

“She must be shy to return the umbrella I lend her,” she thought. She smiled and was about to approach the girl when someone’s hand grabbed her and brought her to a dark corner. Before she could even speak, a large hand cupped .

“Sshh…” she heard a familiar deep baritone voice. The hand let go of but the other still held her wrist tightly.

“Chanyeol?” she mumbled when she glanced back to the person standing behind her.