59

Just When I Thought I Was Over You
 

LIX

 

 

They could say that it was an unforeseen fire – Kai and Krystal’s relationship. Unforeseen in a sense that no one had expected even at the least that they would end up being together. Even Kai’s circle of friends had a little bit of denial at first because even if he didn’t say it, they had expected him to like another person, not Krystal. But they ended up accepting it especially seeing Kai happy about it.

And of course, Seyoon…

---

“Good morning!”

There had always been good mornings and bad mornings and this day, Seyoon deemed it to be something bad. It’s because she was thinking too much last night of what her parents told her. She couldn’t fail the scholarship or else she would be sent to a business school. But things were messing up her mind right now especially when she knew she had strong competitors. One of them mainly was her close friend, Chanyeol, and the other, Krystal…

“You don’t look alright. Are you okay?” Chanyeol asked her concernedly.

“I’m okay. Why are you here anyway? Isn’t it too early?” she asked Chanyeol and Luhan who knocked on her door early in the morning with their beaming teeth and gleaming round eyes greeting her.

“Have you forgotten? Today is our play presentation and the two of us will also be playing our school hymn for the opening.”

“You’re right. Well, just wait here while I prepare myself. You can eat whatever you want inside the fridge.”

Seyoon left as the two went to the kitchen to rummage the fridge. A few minutes later, Kai’s room door opened.

“What are two doing?” he asked uninterestedly.

“Hi, Kai!” Luhan greeted.

Kai looked at him briefly, thinking what was wrong with the sudden enthusiasm in Luhan’s eyes but pretended that he didn’t notice it. He didn’t have any interest in it either.

“Are you ready for the play, my friend?” Luhan asked him, draping his arm to Kai’s.

Kai eyed him, their faces closing in proximity. “What’s wrong with you?”

“I’m just asking you,” he said, “Especially when you still have problems with the kissing scene,” he muttered, rolling his eyes in mockery.

“What?” Kai grabbed Luhan’s collar.

“He’s just joking. Don’t take him seriously,” Chanyeol apologized as he tried to stop the two while avoiding Kai’s glare at Luhan.

“Sorry, did I take too long to prepare?” Seyoon asked in a very untimely moment when she saw Kai holding Luhan’s collar and Chanyeol’s somehow uneasy expression.

Kai let go of Luhan once he heard Seyoon’s voice while Chanyeol laughed awkwardly, hoping that he would be able to cover up the tension in the air.

“We’re practicing for the play. We’re pretty excited, you see,” Chanyeol excused.

“I see. But you don’t have to have last minute practice because Kris told me that you all did a great job on your final rehearsal,” Seyoon pointed out.

Here we go again with Kris here, Kris there, Kai thought.

‘Speaking of Kris, shouldn’t he be here by now,’ Chanyeol relayed with his mouth. He looked at Luhan. His eyes moved in direction as if telling Luhan some kind of message that only the two of them understood. Luhan shrugged and took a peek on his watch.

A moment later, there was a knock coming from the entrance door.

Must be him, Luhan thought.

Seyoon opened the door and just like what Luhan and Chanyeol thought – or to be more precise, they expected – Kris was standing by the doorway.

“Just in time,” Kris drew his head closer to Seyoon, “Good morning princess,” and ruffled her hair.

Chanyeol rested his hand to his chest. Relax. He is not what you think he was, Chanyeol kept repeating inside his head.

“Please stop messing up my hair,” Seyoon complained.”

“I can’t help it. You have short hair. It’s easier to mess it up,” Kris teased.

Kai looked at them in displeasure. Kris made a brief eye contact in which Kai replied with an unwelcoming rolling of his eyes. His hand curled into a fist before turning his head and went to the fridge to get a glass of water.

After their talk yesterday, Chanyeol’s and Luhan’s senses had been in full alert and they had turned into keen observers of Kai’s behavior.

Confirmed. He’s not liking it, Luhan thought and so was Chanyeol.

Kai lifted his head and didn’t bother to speak up. It was too early for a heated argument. Besides, in his eyes, he could see how Seyoon seemed comfortable in Kris’ company – something that she wasn’t when the two of them were together. Only silence and uncertainties filled the air.

It was better, Kai thought, that Kris was always there for Seyoon. At least, the distance he needed had been fulfilled by Kris. With that distance, he tried to resist what was bothering his mind lately. But mind didn’t work alone because apparently, Kai didn’t notice that something was missing; more precise, something didn’t seem to fit.

Where could have been the uneasiness he was feeling?

---

“Good news,” Kyungsoo greeted Seyoon with eyes filled with excitement upon seeing her going down from Kris’ car. He practically hooked his arms on Seyoon’s as they started walking to the entrance gate. Kris just followed behind.

“What is it?” Seyoon asked in anticipation especially when she saw Kyungsoo’s eyes turned into smiling crescents.

“Well, Sehun and I are in charge of the guests attending the opening ceremony later on and we’ve found out that the three professors from Seoul University of Performing Arts that will come here later are also the same people who will evaluate the scholarship audition.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes were gleaming and waiting for Seyoon’s response but to his dismay, Seyoon was showing a totally different reaction.

“Aren’t you happy? Why do you look disoriented?”

“No. I just…I don’t know. I can feel the pressure now,” she said with anxious expression.

“Oh no. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t—” Kyungsoo looked at Seyoon with a troubled, apologetic expression.

“No. Don’t apologize. I think it’s only natural that I feel like this. Don’t blame yourself. I should be thankful to you for telling me beforehand so I have to be more cautious of my performance.”

Kris rested his hand on Seyoon’s shoulder. Seyoon turned around and so was Kyungsoo.

“You shouldn’t be cautious. If there is anything that you should do, it is to act naturally. Be yourself. Enjoy the performance and do it just the way you and Chanyeol practiced it,” Kris advised coupled with a relieving smile.

“You’re right,” said Seyoon but with words coming out almost empty and eyes traveling far behind Kris to the people approaching them from behind – or maybe farther from it. Because right behind Luhan and Chanyeol, who seemed to get along well recently, were Kai with his crescent smile directed to Krystal as they were talking to each other in a manner not so obvious to the unknowing students passing by but to Seyoon, she knew how deeply meaningful those exchanged of smiles and glances were.

Kris looked behind just because he had heard two familiar voices reaching them with one of them laughing so hard that his deep voice almost cracked midway. As expected, they were Luhan and Chanyeol.

“Did you enjoy your little morning walk?” Kris asked half smiling but with eyes expressing a little annoyance. Chanyeol tried to explain but it seemed like Kris didn’t hear any words coming from his or Luhan’s mouth or how they tried to tell him a little story from that small distance walk they had because apparently, his eyes were also fixed on the couple talking not so far from them.

The two, Kai and Krystal, went past by them almost not noticing their presence near the school’s entrance. Or maybe one of them did because by the time Seyoon was encircled by Chanyeol, Luhan, and Kyungsoo, it was only Kris who saw how Kai turned his head briefly to look at them. But his eyes weren’t greeted with Kai’s usual cold dragging stares. Instead, it was filled with yearning and a shadow of hopelessness. It was unexpected but more than that was Kris’ feeling of uneasiness.

Kris knew what those eyes meant. It was on the verge of acceptance – acceptance of defeat. He had to do what they had planned or else, Kai’s unsaid feelings might stay unsaid forever.

---

It was on the first day of their first year in high school that Kai technically met Krystal but it was only on the third week when he started noticing her. It wasn’t because she was appealing but it was because…

 

 ~*~

Kai couldn’t believe it. He was hoping that until they reached their high school years, Seyoon would be sitting beside him all the way. She was the most convenient and efficient seatmate, he thought, because not only that she would explain things to him when he didn’t understand a part of their lessons or she would help him with assignments and other school activities but also because there was always a pleasant and comforting atmosphere whenever Seyoon was around. He always felt as if there was nothing to worry about whenever she’s beside him.

However, much to his disappointment and Chanyeol’s must-be-his-lucky-year year, and also Sehun’s I-don’t-care-I’ll-do-what-I-want-and-sit-where-I-want attitude, he was stuck in a seat a little too far from Seyoon (though she was only a seat behind him) with a stoned-face friend beside him and some transferee student on the other side. It was a little too inconvenient for him. Though he tried to make it through for the rest of the semester, he still couldn’t help but be irritated or cringe especially when he heard Chanyeol’s a little too exaggerated laughter and Seyoon’s chuckling response whenever they would engage in a conversation that he, sometimes, couldn’t relate to.

“Jellyfish! That’s funny!” Chanyeol was just behind Sehun and yet, his deep loud voice resonated inside the whole room like a giant’s roar.

Jellyfish? What’s funny about jellyfish? Kai glared at Chanyeol but his angry expression turned mellow when he saw Seyoon smiling at Chanyeol’s strange joke. Her smile was something captivating and lenient. He couldn’t help himself but stare at it a little. Little did he notice that Seyoon was already looking at him and talking to him.

“What are you going to eat for lunch?” she asked.

“Huh?” Kai snapped from his own imagination. “Ah…”

“I’ll have kimchi stew! How about you, Seyoon?” Chanyeol interrupted.

She’s not asking you.

“Ah…me? Actually I— Kai!” Seyoon stopped when she saw Kai standing up and was already leaving without waiting for her or her friends.

“I think he’s really hungry,” Chanyeol remarked. Seyoon shrugged as she stood up and ran after Kai.

It was in front of the lockers that she stopped running when she saw Kai putting some of his books inside his locker.

“Kai,” he heard her called his name. He didn’t know but he liked it when she called his name. “Is there something wrong? Why do you act differently today? Are you alright?” Seyoon asked him. Kai could see the concerns in her eyes.

“No, I’m okay. Don’t worry.” He just couldn’t be mad at her no matter how hard he tried.

“Oh, alright. That’s good to hear. By the way, have you recognized your new seatmate?”

“Oh yeah, I really don’t like Sehun to be my seatmate but there’s nothing I could do about it. Besides…” Moreover, you’re sitting beside Chanyeol now. Is there anything I could do about it? He tried to say but he just couldn’t.

“No. I am not talking about Sehun. The other one, the one sitting on you’re right. Do you remember her? Soojung-ssi. She’s the one who played the piano during one of our school events. The one where Chanyeol played his violin.”

Here we go with Chanyeol again. “No. I don’t remember her. But you remember it well. Maybe it was because of Chanyeol.”

“Huh? You were there too, remember? You sat beside me.”

“No. I still couldn’t remember.” Anything that involves Chanyeol, I can’t remember.

“Oh, I just thought that you did. Anyway, I just never thought that she would be in the same class as ours. It is a small world after all.”

Kai nodded but he really didn’t care about whoever Seyoon was talking about. All he cared was to get the seat beside Seyoon in the cafeteria.

“Anyway, uhm…I – ah – I made this,” Seyoon said in a low tone. Kai followed Seyoon’s hands that were somewhat getting something inside her bag. A little later, he saw a lunchbox unveiling from her bag.

Did she really make that for me?

“I just thought of making this. I have a lot of time earlier, you see, and I thought I’ll make lunch for you to…ah…to celebrate our first step to high school…Yeah, i-i-it’s like that,” she stammered. Kai also noticed Seyoon’s cheeks flushed into pink and he thought that maybe she was too shy to show the lunch she made for him and maybe she was embarrassed that he might not accept it which was impossible because anything from Seyoon, he would surely accept.

Kai immediately grab the lunchbox in the fear that Seyoon might change her mind and give it to someone else. He couldn’t let that happen. “Thanks.”

“Ah I-I think we should go to that cafeteria. They might be waiting for us now.” Seyoon turned and started walking a little too hasty, Kai noticed. Before she even walk a little farther, Kai grabbed her wrist which made her to turn around and face him.

“Before we go to the cafeteria, I have to make sure one thing” he asked.

Seyoon looked at him confusedly. “What is it?”

“Promise to sit beside me in our lunch table,” Kai said without hesitation. Seyoon blushed upon hearing those words but Kai didn’t notice it as she turned her head immediately to hide it.

“Al-alright.”

“Well then, let’s go. I’m so hungry,” Kai smiled and grabbed Seyoon’s hand again as they ran to the cafeteria.

Little did they know, someone was actually watching them from afar.

~*~

 

There were rounds of applause that filled the main hall as the principal officially initiated the start of the school festival.

More than anything, Seyoon thought that her job would be done by the time she and Chanyeol went down the stage after their well-received performance. But this day wasn’t going easy on her especially when the afternoon came for their play, the first one to be presented from the line of prepared performances for the whole week.

She was assigned as one of the wardrobe supervisors where she had to make sure that the casts were wearing the required costume for the scenario but at the same time, be able to come up with solutions in case wardrobe malfunctions come unexpectedly. It wasn’t originally her job but her classmate was absent because of flu and here she was, expecting the unexpected.

“What?” Seyoon asked in anxiety as soon as she and another student assigned with her opened the bag of costumes.

“Two of the main lead’s costumes are gone. The school uniform and the gang costume are gone,” the other student said in regret.

“Whose costumes are gone?” she asked with the hope the she could find a replacement for it.

“Hmm…It’s Jongin-ssi’s…”

Seyoon looked at her, surprised. Maybe replacing it wasn’t an easy thing to do.

“By any chance, do you know his size?” she asked, a little hesitant.

---

Kai stood in awe after hearing Seyoon’s voice on the stage. It’s been a while, he recalled, since the last time he heard her sang a full song. It was only the school hymn but she attacked it differently and beautifully. He knew well with that voice that it was uniquely Seyoon’s. It was distinct.

It would be regrettable if Seyoon would not get the scholarship even if he knew how Krystal practically practiced for it every single day without breaks. It was Krystal’s target and practically what she was aiming for since she was young, she told him. But Krystal’s constant mimicry and perfection of Chopin or Rachmaninoff didn’t necessarily create a unique identity for herself. It was stiff and more like a replica. It was perfection but without distinction unlike Seyoon’s distinguished voice. Krystal was a reflection of Chopin but Seyoon was a reflection of herself.

“Seyoon, you’re the best!” Kai heard Luhan, who was sitting beside Kyungsoo, exclaimed. But why was he exactly looking at a video camera held by Kyungsoo and not on Seyoon on the stage? And why was Kyungsoo holding a camera in the first place?

“He’s right, Seyoon. You’re really amazing!” praised Kyungsoo as he filmed himself and waved at the camera with Luhan.

“What are you two doing?” Kai finally asked out of curiosity.

“We’re sending Seyoon complimentary messages,” Luhan replied.

“Ah-huh, what for?”

“Because she deserves it. Come on, why are you so curious? Do you want to send her some message to?” asked Luhan and Kai knew he was teasing him.

Kyungsoo was on the verge of opening the camera once again but Kai stopped him. “No, seriously, why are you sending her compliments when you can say it personally?”

“Let me explain,” Kyungsoo stopped Luhan from attempting again to speak. “The truth is that Kris asked me to film her performance so he can watch it later. He said he didn’t want to miss it.”

Luhan nodded. “You know what, that director really likes Seyoon. It is hard for me to admit this but I guess his admiration for Seyoon is really different. I don’t think I could surpass him no matter what I do. There’s even a rumor that he and Seyoon used to have this ‘mutual understanding’ before she transferred here in Korea.” It wasn’t only Kai who looked surprised but Kyungsoo as well. His eyes resembled that of an owl. “I heard he’s trying to get that postponed relationship back,” Luhan stated.

Kyungsoo looked at him with doubtful eyes. “How do you even know about that? No one knows him personally here, only Seyoon. Who will tell you those things?”

“Have you forgotten that he could actually speak Chinese? In fact, he’s half Chinese. I searched if he has a Chinese blog and he does. If you’ll dig deeper to his past posts, it shows that he really likes Seyoon,” said Luhan in a confident way as if he was stating facts though all that he said were only fabricated words that tended to make Kai react to it expectedly. And expecting the expected, Kai really reacted differently in a way that his eyes showed signs of disbelief and at the same time, acceptance – acceptant to Kris’ words that he was really determined to have Seyoon withdrawn from the marriage.

The question was how far could he go with his plan? Would Seyoon agree with him? And…

How long will I remain quiet? Will I just wait till it finally happens? Isn’t this what I want in the first place – to get out of this arrangement? For Krystal?

If it was Kai months or years ago, maybe the answer was yes. But where was he standing now?

Maybe…

“Kai, are you okay?” Kyungsoo asked his friend as he saw Kai staring blankly somewhere. Kai looked at him and it seemed like he didn’t notice that Kyungsoo was asking him a question since a while ago. “So, do you want to go and meet Seyoon and Chanyeol backstage?”

“Huh…” Kai paused for a moment. “No. I think I’ll go and see Krystal. You’ll go ahead and tell them that they did a great job.”

“Alright,” Kyungsoo replied.

“We’ll go ahead then. Anyway, if you want to see Kris’ blog which I doubt that you’ll be able to read it, I could give you the site. It you want me to translate it for you, I am willing to. Just tell me,” said Luhan with a cunning smile.

“No. Never mind.”

Maybe, he was not afraid for that arranged marriage to end. Maybe he was afraid of something more – or someone, someone that would take Seyoon far from him…with no turning back.

---

Maybe… Life was full of maybes. Seyoon’s mind was full of maybes.

Maybe his costumes were put in another bag? Maybe it was exchanged with someone else’s? Maybe it was left somewhere in the backstage and someone got hold of it? Maybe…maybe…Maybe if only she wasn’t assigned to this then maybe…

Seyoon already checked the backstage or any possible whereabouts of the costumes but she found nothing. She asked the other students and they replied nothing. She checked the bag again and it wasn’t really there.

Seyoon sighed. She had no choice.

---

Kai watched as Seyoon came out from the backstage and walked towards Kris, who just arrived and was giving them one final advice before their actual presentation. Kai wasn’t surprised anymore. Of course, Seyoon’s business on the stage only concerned talking to Kris. But what Kai was surprised of was when Kris nodded to whatever Seyoon told him and she basically walked towards Kai’s direction.

“I already asked Kris and he said that he’s already done so uhm…uh…can you come with me for a while?” she asked in straight face but with trembling voice. But Kai didn’t notice because he himself was deafened by the loud beat coming from his chest.

What is there to be nervous about?

---

“Your grey blazer and one gang outfit are gone. We have to find a replacement at the backstage costume room. I don’t really know your size so I have to ask you to come with me.”

Seyoon stopped her tracks when they reached the costume room. It was a little secluded because it was located at the basement of the theater. Seyoon opened the door with the key given to him by Baekhyun. Kai came not long after, looking around the dark place with a little light  passing through the open door. 

“The switch should be here somewhere,” said Seyoon as her hands roamed around the wall for the switch. “I should have come with Kyungsoo when he went here so I’d know where the switch was,” she muttered.

Kai entered the room and let go of the door which he didn’t know had a door closer attached to the floor. Just seconds after, the door closed automatically, leaving the two in a pitch dark situation.

Kai might not admit it but he hated being in the dark – he hated being in the dark and being alone. But his trembling hand was unexpectedly held by another companion in the room he briefly forgot he had.

“Sorry. I’ll find the switch right away,” reassured Seyoon. Kai couldn’t see it but he imagined Seyoon’s smile accompanying her words of reassurance as he felt her gentle grip of his hand.

“Yo-you don’t have to apologize. It-it’s not as if I’m afraid or what. Besides, I’m the one who let go of the door and—” The light suddenly which briefly blinded Kai. His squinted eyes opened slowly as he scanned the costume-filled room. Seyoon was standing beside him, smiling at him, and their hand still linked.

“You don’t have to explain. Of course, you’re not afraid. I’m not saying that you are.” Seyoon let go of his hand and went to the rows of costume stands with a smile still embedded on her face. Kai knew that smile well. It was implying something.

“What is that smile for?” Kai followed Seyoon to the rows of wardrobes.

“Woah, there are a lot of costumes here,” she said in excitement. “Oh, sorry. Are you asking something?” she asked innocently even though she clearly heard him.

“Never mind.” Kai avoided her eyes and made his way to a wardrobe rack of ‘prince’ costumes. He looked at her again. She was busy scanning a rack full of leather jackets.

“I wonder if leather jackets would work for a gang costume,” he heard her speak to herself. “Maybe not.”

Kai curled his lips in hesitation, wondering if he would say it to her or not because being alone in a room with Seyoon without him talking or saying anything was totally uncomfortable. Nonetheless, he found the words escaping his mouth faster than it should.

“Bythewayyourperformanceearlierwasgreat,” he said in one full sweep.

“Huh, don’t you like leather? Okay, I’ll find another one.”

No, that’s not it. “What I was trying to say is that your performance earlier was good.”

“Good? I thought I heard ‘great’ earlier,” Seyoon kidded, shuffling through the vintage jackets this time. Actually, she really heard and understood what Kai had said earlier but he was speaking too fast. He must still be tensed after the darkness earlier, she thought. She knew about Kai’s fear of darkness and she felt his trembling hand earlier; that was why she was glad to find him in midst of the darkness. Talking to him like this not only released the tension and discomfort between them but she was also trying to let Kai forget about his fear.

“You heard it? I thought you misheard it.”

“I didn’t. I just want to make sure if what I heard is right.” She walked past the racks and walked farther from Kai who was three rows away from him now. “Thank you by the way,” she said with a smile.

Kai found himself stepping back once while his hand played the chains of one of the hung costumes. “I’m serious when I said that you’re great.” His hand travelled on the weird pattern of the costume. “I think you’ll do well on the SUPA audition.” Kai lifted his head to take a glance at Seyoon but the other was way too busy browsing for the replacement costume.

“Really?” she spoke without looking at him. “But if there is someone who will really do well in the audition, I think it’s you. Here.”

Kai looked at Seyoon’s bright smile when she lifted a jacket from the rows of costume – the one with ‘88’ number on it.

“I think this will fit you. Would you like to try it on?”

Kai was suddenly covered with troubled expression. His face turning red as he looked at her. “Do you mean I’ll try it here?” Here? Is she expecting me to change my clothes here?

She nodded nonchalantly. “I think that one there is a fitting room,” she said as she pointed at a cubicle at the farthest corner of the room.

“Yeah, right,” Kai sighed in relief. Why am I thinking too much?

But to his horror, it seemed like that part of the room that Seyoon was pointing at was barely reached by light. Unfortunately, there was only one light source inside the basement and it was right above them – roughly twenty-five feet away from the cubicle – and was flickering once in a while. This would not be great he thought. And it would be more embarrassing if he would change right where he was standing right now – though he wished to suggest it.

“Let’s go,” he suddenly heard Seyoon as she voluntarily walked ahead of Kai. Kai immediately followed her. He moved a little bit closer to Seyoon which he hoped the other wouldn’t notice how cowardice was slowly creeping inside of him.

“I hope that will work,” she continually spoke.

I hope she won’t leave me.

Having Seyoon just outside the cubicle with a curtain separating the two still didn’t relieve Kai’s fear of the dark. And because of that closed curtain, the cubicle was even darker and not even an inch illuminated. Even if he could change clothes with little to no light at all, there was a still a fear in him that Seyoon would leave him without notice.

But his fear momentarily faded when out of the blue, he heard a melodious tune – a humming coming from outside. That calming serenity it brought and the reassurance that she was just there not far, it was his lullaby.

That sounds familiar.

“I mean it when I told you that you’ll do great in SUPA audition. Just remembering the first time I saw you dance, it was extraordinary.”

Kai stopped from putting his costume. Why does he felt as if he’s going to burst not because of his fear of the dark but because of the erratic pulses he had with her words?

“It wasn’t mere steps accompanied with music. It’s your feet and body being lifted by your passion and aspiration to succeed. It is inspirational,”  she continued.

Kai was right. That hum sounds familiar. It was the tune of the song he used when she first saw him dance – the first time he dedicated a dance for someone and probably the last – ‘Baby Don’t Cry’.

“Baby, don’t cry tonight after the darkness passes. Baby, don’t cry tonight. It’ll become as if it never happened,” Seyoon recited the lines in fluid motion. “You know, I fell in love with EXO after hearing that song.”

Kai opened the curtain as Seyoon lifted her head to look at him.

“It looks good on you,” she said with a delicate smile.

It was the first time that Kai noticed, more than the voice and those encouraging words she told him, Seyoon was actually close to him more than how he thought she was. Maybe not just beside him all this time, maybe she was inside him all along – somewhere deeper and unreachable.

Where was Seyoon in his heart all this time?

“Baby, don’t cry, cry. My love will protect you,” in which Kai didn’t realize why he thought of that line; in which Seyoon turned around and looked at him with a surprise expression but later curved into a soft smile on her lips.

“That was the last line of the chorus, right?” she said with innocent gleaming eyes in which Kai wondered why he had said those lines out loud.

---

“I really don’t know why am I doing this but I want to go there right now to take Seyoon away,” Luhan pleaded as he stood up from the couch. The three of them were inside one of the backstage dressing room.

“Stop right there,” he heard a command from behind him. The oldest of the three glared at him without moving his already crossed arms and relaxed crossed legs, one foot swaying leisurely.

“I can’t just sit right here when I know that Seyoon is inside the basement with no one else except Kai. You just don’t know how dark that place is. I helped Kyungsoo carry those costumes there before. The light was flickering once in a while. It’s scary!” Luhan whined continuously.

Kris rolled his eyes as he looked at Chanyeol who was surprisingly sitting beside him without saying anything. But he noticed how the tall boy fidgeted with his fingers continuously and a few times, biting his nails.

“Hey stop that!” Kris commanded as he grabbed Chanyeol’s hand from another potential nail biting. “Everything will be alright, you two. That boy won’t do anything bad to my princess. The only thing that I am afraid of is if those two remained silent while having their time alone in the costume room. Our efforts will just go to waste.”

“That is why we should go there and see if anything is happening. If not, I’ll just knock Kai’s head off and scream to him how much Seyoon likes him.”

“Or maybe I’ll knock your head off and let me tell your fanclub how their ‘Dear Luhan’ leaped to my arms after waking up in the sauna with a spider a foot away from him.”

Luhan tried to stand still with his chest held up high but Kris was towering him and he couldn’t help but shrink back to the couch. “Just to let you know, I am helping you but I still hate you,” he pouted like a kid.

“Kris is right. We have to wait here.” Chanyeol closed his eyes before taking a deep breath to release the anxiety he was feeling. For the sake of Seyoon, he would do anything.

“Those two need more time together – not in a situation when they were in their apartment with really no reason to talk. They need time together in a situation where it is required for them to communicate. I just hope that you two hide Jongin’s costume really well.”

“No worries. I’m sure no one will find it.” Chanyeol raised his thumb up full of confidence.

Not long after, they heard a knock on the door.

“Have you seen Kai?” Kyungsoo came with two familiar costumes hanging on his hand. “Seyoon told me earlier about his missing costumes but I found this on my locker. I must have put them there yesterday and forgot to put it on the bag of costumes.

No one will find it, huh? Kris eyes’ grew wide and directed it to Chanyeol and Luhan who couldn’t even lift their heads to look at him.

Kyungsoo left when Kris told him that Kai wasn’t there. But he never told him that they were in the costume room with a hope that the time the two would spend together would be longer even if it would be just second extension. Nonetheless, Chanyeol and Luhan still received scolding from Kris.

“I really thought Kyungsoo wouldn’t use his locker today. We don’t have classes and…” said Chanyeol embarrassedly.

“Still, of all places, why Kyungsoo’s? Why not Sehun’s or Baekhyun’s?” Luhan seconded.

The two received smacks on their heads. “Why not use your own lockers instead?” Kris scolded them. “And why used a locker in the first place?”

---

“I really thought we will be able to use the costume I coordinate.”

“Sorry for the trouble. I remembered putting the costumes in the bag but I never thought that I left them in my locker.”

Kai walked behind Seyoon and Kyungsoo, watching the two talking from the distance. It was abrupt but Kai thought that Kyungsoo’s arrival was just right on time, right before he melted into a pile of goo and his face flushed into shades of confusion. Why was Seyoon giving him this kind of feeling?

His thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a voice he didn’t expect to hear, not now.

“Where have you been? I’ve been looking for you? Are you excited for the play?” Krystal called him from behind as she flashed a warm smile. No one was there to witness their moments together but Kai still felt uneasy. It wasn’t for the fear that someone might see them together. It was something about the way Krystal smiled at him.

It suddenly felt different.

 

~*~

Kai watched his name being listed beside the new student’s name. It was not only that Seyoon was not his seatmate anymore; they were also put in different days as classroom cleaners. And worse, Chanyeol was also on the same day as hers. It really must be Chanyeol’s lucky year, he thought. Maybe high school was Chanyeol’s lucky level and maybe it was the opposite of Kai’s. But Kai wouldn’t let that happen. He wouldn’t let Chanyeol have everything he wanted by himself. It was only the third week, he must do something.

“Seyoon, there’s something about our assignment that I can’t understand. Will you help me? I’ll treat you for lunch tomorrow,” Kai said with the best pleading eyes he could put on. Never mind the embarrassment and his distorted image. He must take away Seyoon from Chanyeol.

“Uh…Kai…Actually I—”

“We already asked Seyoon to help us with the assignments,” said Baekhyun.

“We? What do you mean?”

“Seyoon! Where should we do our assignment? On the rooftop? Library? Cafeteria? Here?” Chanyeol said happily as he approached them after helping Kyungsoo put the names and the schedule of the cleaners on their announcement board.

Kai gritted his teeth but he still managed to remain calm in front of Seyoon.

“Sorry Kai. They asked me first so I am sorry. But I’ll help you later if you want. I’ll just drop by to your house. Anyway, I have something to return to aunty later,” she said with a smile in which Kai couldn’t complain anymore.

 “Well, since Kai is one of the assigned cleaners today, I think we should not stay here any longer. Let’s just go to the library,” said Baekhyun.

“No! Let’s go to the cafeteria. I’m still hungry. I want to eat something,” said Chanyeol.

“Tsk. Assignment or afterschool food date?” Kai muttered incoherently.

“What?” Chanyeol asked.

“Nothing.”

“I’m really sorry Kai but I’ll make it up to you. I promised.” Seyoon patted Kai’s shoulder before grabbing her bag and left with Baekhyun and Chanyeol.

“Wait, I’ll come with you too,” followed Kyungsoo.

This was his life now and maybe his life for the rests of his high school days. It was just the third week and he did not like high school anymore.

A few seconds later, he heard a faint voice coming from behind.

“Are you one of the assigned cleaners today, too?” the person asked. Kai looked back and saw a girl with long hair standing in front of him. He knew who she was. She was the girl that Seyoon was talking about two weeks ago. She was his seatmate. That girl – Soojung-ssi.

“Jongin, right?” she asked.

“Yes. Just call me Kai. I like it better.”

“Really? I thought it was exclusive to your friends.”

"No, not at all. Everybody calls me that name even my former teachers. Anyway, you are Soojung, right?”

The girl nodded. “Just call me Krystal. I prefer that name too.”

“Oh…” Kai didn’t know why she was using an English name but he didn’t bother to ask her. He wasn’t interested anyway. “I guess we should start now. Hey Sehun, wake up!” he said as he nudged Sehun whose head was dipped on his desk. The boy practically dozed off in their last class but the teacher was too preoccupied to notice Sehun. Kai really didn’t understand why his classmates voted his sloth-like friend to be the class president. There’s nothing responsible-like aura in him.

Kai continued to ruffle Sehun’s hair. “Stop it,” the other whined as he stretched his arms and yawned. Kai pushed him off his chair. Kai grabbed the floor scrubber and tossed it to Sehun. The two started playing with their cleaning tools just like what they always did during their middle school years.

Kai stopped when he realized that they were not the only people in the class. This is not middle school anymore, he said to himself. He turned his head and looked at his other classmate assigned with them. And unexpectedly, the girl was chuckling as they looked at them.

Kai didn’t know but his vision suddenly stopped. It was as if he felt something different all of a sudden. That smile, he thought, it is just like Seyoon’s.

~*~

 

The theater was already full of students and guests. The noise coming from the audiences was just as loud as the noises coming from the backstage. The crews were all focused and ready. Baekhyun was generally panicking because Chanyeol just broke one of the fake wooden props. It was a good thing that Kris was there for his place to scold Chanyeol and Luhan immediately found a replacement. Seyoon was all ready with her wardrobe checklist.

The casts were all given encouragements from their classmates. A chant was lead by Chanyeol. Knowing the excited happy virus that he was with his deep but loud voice, Sehun decided to give the role to him. It was the official signal before the light went out and the stage came to life.

This is it, Kai thought, stealing a glance backstage before going up on the stage with the hope to see his source of courage. Krystal was just beside him but she was not what he was looking for.

“Okay standby,” he heard a cue from Baekhyun, who was assigned to assist the entrance of the actors.

At the far corner, she was there arranging the rows of costumes on the rack. His mind must be sending strong telepathic signals, he thought, because it was only seconds before Baekhyun told him that he was next that Seyoon lifted her head up and by chance, turned her head to his direction. Seyoon must have noticed that he was looking at her because she lifted her fist and mouthed the word, ‘Fighting!’ before giving him a smile enough to cease his stage fright and enough to believe that he could play his role properly.

But it was also seconds after when Chanyeol shouted, “I’ll do my best!” as he waved at Seyoon. Luhan also did the same. Seyoon averted her gaze to them and also sent her ‘fighting’ word of encouragement.

Kai  swayed his head in disappointment.

---

A long roar of applause filled the theater as the casts gave their final bows before exiting to the backstage.

“Ah! That was the greatest ever!” Chanyeol filled the room again with his loud voice which caused everyone to laugh.

Everyone was congratulating each other’s performance. Compliments and gratitude were exchanged everywhere. And Kai noticed how grateful Seyoon was when everything was finally finished. Even her way of showing her gratitude wasn’t left unnoticed by Kai. After all, he wished to receive it too the same way as his other friends had. But to his dismay…

The backstage crews were shaking each others’ hands, giving each other high fives. But what Kai noticed first was when Seyoon and Kyungsoo hugged tightly with Kyungsoo showing his full grin smile. “We did it!” he heard him shouted.

After Kyungsoo was Baekhyun who was first approached by Seyoon. The two exchanged smiles before Baekhyun opened his arms and Seyoon did the same. The two were hugging each other as Seyoon patted Baekhyun’s back. “You did well,” she said to him.

When the casts joined the crews, Kai already expected it – how Chanyeol, after shouting that it was the greatest thing ever, he immediately grinned when he spotted Seyoon clapping for him. Seconds later, she was already trapped between the giant’s long arms, practically squeezing her. Kai didn’t know how Seyoon managed to breathe or how Chanyeol was insensitive and carelessly hugging her tightly like that. But Seyoon was smiling all the way so he thought that Seyoon must be really considerate to Chanyeol.

As expected, the other wouldn’t let himself be left out as Luhan approached Seyoon, who was just released from Chanyeol’s suffocating embrace, turned her around to face him and immediately pulled her into a tight embrace. “My character died just for you!” he cried. Seyoon chuckled upon hearing him.

“No, you died because you have a careless character. Same as you,” Seyoon corrected him as he patted his back before letting Luhan go.

Unexpectedly, Xiumin and Lay also received hugs from her. Sehun came afterwards and also stretched his arms for her in which Seyoon returned with no hesitation.

“Good job, president,” she complimented him.

“Greater job, our vice president.” Both of them giggled before letting each other go.

Kai watched them, observed them, and most of all, envied them, thinking when would be his hopeful turn. Everyone had received a hug from her whether a friend or a classmate or even the juniors who help assisting the play. Everybody were already finished hugging each other and yet she hadn’t turned her head toward his direction. Kai was already complimented by the rests, congratulated and hugged by his friend, but he was waiting there. Everybody was already complimented by Seyoon – everybody but him.

“Kai,” he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned around and felt a soft peck on his cheek. He looked around and it seemed like everybody was busy with their own business to even notice that short public display of affection. “You did great,” Krystal said to him.

Kai couldn’t help but only return it with a smile. He didn’t know how to return a more meaningful congratulatory response other than a sheepish awkward smile, the best he tried to pull off. “You too, you did great,” he said to her with words truly complimenting her but at the same time, words that weren’t really heartfelt.

“Thank you. I’ll see you tomorrow then,” Krystal replied before she was pulled by her friends and left.

It was then when he decided to give up that he felt another tap on his shoulder. Another compliment, he thought. He turned around to see the person he had long been expecting for.

“As expected,” Seyoon gave him a smile before extending her hand – not two but only a hand in which Kai didn’t quite comprehend how a hug would be initiated with just one stretched arm and a hand.

Seyoon looked at him with her hand extending quite longer, hoping that Kai would reach it for a handshake but the latter didn’t seem to like doing that hand gesture with her. She was worried that Kai might felt awkward with a hug that she only extended her hand for a congratulatory handshake.

She gave others a hug and I, a handshake. This is…fine…I guess.

“I won’t say you did great because I bet you’ve heard it a lot of times today but I’ll say that I hope to see you again on a bigger stage someday.”

Kai didn’t know but he felt as if Seyoon’s hand was bigger than what it was. Not by means of size but bigger in terms of the gratitude and compliment she was giving him. He felt as if the simple handshake was greater than those hugs his friends and other people received. It was then that he realized that he didn’t care if it was a hug, a handshake, or even if it was just a simple smile. He didn’t care. It was different. It was one of a kind. It was special mainly because it was Seyoon – as simple as that.

But that special touch didn’t last long, unfortunately for him, because he heard a deep voice coming from behind. No, not the usual deep loud voice he usually hears, but someone else’s. Kai knew that voice well. He hated it.

“Princess, I’ve been looking for you,” said Kris who was not far behind them.

Seyoon let go of Kai’s hand as Kris approached them. Kris looked at Kai. Kai didn’t avert his gaze but locked his eyes at him too. Kris let out a smile, a sly smile to be precise, as he extended his hand to Kai.

A handshake. A not so special handshake.

Kai reached for Kris’ hand. There was nothing wrong with it, he thought. At least, he was trying to be kind to him the same way as what Kris was showing him – not.

“It was unexpected, Jongin-ssi. You acted the role so well. And the last scene, the kissing scene – what word is it – heartfelt. I think you’ve learned how to fake emotions. Or maybe you are inspired. I wonder who it is that inspired you.”

Kai didn’t like how Kris’ lips curled. It may appear like a smile but Kai knew better. He was mocking him. Knowing the two faces that he had, Kris was surely telling lies.

“Anyway, aren’t you going to thank me for helping you with your play?” Kris said to Seyoon.

“Oh, thank you. Without your help, I’m sure we wouldn’t be able to present a presentable presentation. You’re the best director.”

“Pft. What kind of compliment is that?” Suddenly, Kai saw how Kris stretched his arms. “A tight hug will be enough,” he said with his eyes closed and smiling face. If anyone would be there by now, Kai thought that they would have mistaken Kris as a crazy ert.

Well, he is a crazy ert.

Seyoon took a quick glance at Kai, feeling embarrassed of what Kris was demanding from her. She didn’t know if she would do it or not.

“I’m waiting or would you like me to do what I really want? Come on, I’ll give you a chance to hug me now.”

Seyoon sighed as she approached Kris and gave him the hug he demanded. Well, he deserved it anyway for spending his time directing the play for free. Seyoon knew it wasn’t enough but knowing Kris and as her friend for many years, Seyoon knew that a simple hug and a sincere gratitude was enough. Or maybe not.

Kai watched Seyoon as she gave Kris a hug. The taller’s face lightened up once he felt Seyoon’s arms encircling his body. That ert. And to Kai and Seyoon’s surprise, Kris leaned in with a kiss on Seyoon’s forehead.

A forehead kiss versus a simple handshake…one word – unfair. That was what Kai thought as his fist curled into a ball. If only Seyoon wasn’t there, that fist would surely land on someone’s face today. But he had to relax. It might not be a good idea to ruin someone’s face, not now.

“You did well on assisting the wardrobe and making the props. I’m sure Suho will be proud of you.”

“Pft. Those were simple jobs. It is not as extravagant as what the casts did or what you have done. It is nothing to be proud of.”

“No, no. You’re wrong. Without the backstage crews, the play wouldn’t really come to life. You did great. And you should credit me for stitching those patches on the actors’ uniforms. We stayed all night for that.”

“Right, right.”

“Anyway, Kyungsoo said the he wanted to meet you backstage. So, shall we go now?”

“Ah, how about you, Kai? Do you want to come with us?” Seyoon asked,

“Huh? Ahh—”

“No. I think it is better that Jongin-ssi just stay here. Besides, there’s something I want to talk to you in private, if you don’t mind. I’ll tell you as we walk to where Kyungsoo is.” Kris insisted.

Seyoon took one final look at Kai who nodded at her to go with Kris. “I’ll see you then,” she said before Kris placed his arm on her shoulder as they walked together to the dressing room. And Kai was left alone or so he thought.

As soon as Kris and Seyoon left, he felt long arms encircling him, one encircling his chest, the other, his waist.

“What the—”

“Congratulations!”

“What are you doing Chanyeol? Let go of me!”

“Why? I’m giving you a congratulatory hug. You’re the last one who hasn’t received it yet. Don’t you like it?” Chanyeol looked at him with disappointed eyes.

“No! I mean why do you have to hug me that way?”

“But I saw your back facing me and I couldn’t wait to give you a hug of gratitude and I thought of surprising you. But I guess you don’t like it?”

Kai sighed and closed his eyes. How would he say to this giant that he didn’t mean that he didn’t like the hug? How would he say that he liked it but not in an awkward way? He liked it because Chanyeol was his friend.

“Okay, I like it. Thanks for the hug,” Kai surrendered.

Kai thought it was over but another set of arms encircled their way on his waist. “How about this hug?” someone whispered from behind.

“Luhan! Go away!”

Luhan laughed as he let go of Kai. “I just thought that you need some. You look lonely back here. Don’t you have someone with you? Where’s Krystal?”

“Shut up. I’m here because I just talk to someone but she left so…”

“Oh, that’s sad. But don’t worry,” Luhan placed his arm on Kai’s shoulder, “because you’ll be coming with us to enjoy the rest of what the school festival has to offer.”

Chanyeol nodded and clapped excitedly. “I heard there’s a haunted booth, a café, and best of all, a marriage booth outside. If we are early enough, we may be able to experience those booths.”

“What? Do you expect me to go with you? And marriage booth? What the heck?!”

“Why? We’re not the only one going.”

 

~*~

“Soojung-ssi! I-I’m sorry. I thought you are Soojung-ssi.”

“What is that?” Chanyeol asked Seyoon as the two – the three with Kai trailing after them at the back – walked towards the library.

“I think she has mistaken me as Soojung, you know, our new classmate.”

“Oh, I know her. She’s a piano prodigy. She received a scholarship here because she’s great in playing instruments. Oh! Maybe you are mistaken as her because you have the same hair length,” Chanyeol exclaimed with his very obvious rediscovery.

Of course Kai knew that what Chanyeol had said could be one of the reasons why Seyoon was mistaken as Krystal – he preferred to call her Krystal as what she told him to. But as time went by and as his seatmate, Kai knew that there were a lot of possible reasons. Her smile, her soft voice, and her kindness even, they all reminded him of one person, Seyoon. In fact, he didn’t feel as lonely as he was on the first few weeks of their class without Seyoon as his seatmate because as time went by, he felt as if Seyoon was beside her all along, in Krystal’s persona.

Kai shrugged the thought and he knew that no one could possibly be like Seyoon or replace Seyoon because Seyoon was Seyoon and no one else. But as days went by, it seemed like Seyoon was becoming closer to Chanyeol than what Kai had expected. And in those days when Chanyeol and Seyoon would excuse themselves to go to whatever place that they didn’t want to disclose, Kai found himself being left inside their classroom and Krystal was there too.

Days of company turned into weeks. Kai found Krystal’s company a little welcoming and could probably fill up the time as he waited for Seyoon. Kai wouldn’t admit it but it seemed like he was drawn closer to Krystal more than he could imagine.

~*~

 

Kai went out with Chanyeol and Luhan and saw that the school festival had not ended yet. There were still a lot of students even though it was already four in the afternoon. And the hyped and excitement from the two morons didn’t lessen at all.

Baekhyun, Sehun, Xiumin, and Lay were also outside waiting for them.

“Where are the others?” Baekhyun asked them.

“They will come here any minute now. They’re just preparing Seyoon for her punishment.”

Kai looked at Chanyeol with confused look. “What happened to Seyoon? Why does she have to be punished? What’s happening?” he asked anxiously.

“Relax. Remember when I asked you to come with me backstage but you didn’t? Well, we actually had a dare after Seyoon and Chanyeol’s performance and Seyoon accepted it,” explained Luhan.

“What kind of dare?” Kai asked.

“High note competition against Xiumin.” Luhan gave Xiumin a thumb up as the other replied with the same gesture. “Unfortunately, Seyoon lost against Xiumin and she had to do the punishment.”

“What kind of punishment?”

“You’ll see.”

After Luhan’s words, Kai saw a huge grin forming on Chanyeol’s face. The others looked at the opposite direction with their mouth gaping.

“Woah, is that Seyoon?” asked Lay.

“It’s been a long time since I last saw her like that,” said Baekhyun.

Kai didn’t know what they were talking about but he decided to turn his head around and find the reason for such reactions. And there she was, not far away from them with the punishment that didn’t appear as punishment at all in Kai’s opinion, walking with Kyungsoo and Kris.

“Sorry to keep you waiting,” said Kyungsoo.

“Seyoon? It’s you!” Luhan exclaimed.

“Of course it’s me. Who else do you expect it to be? But I admit that wearing this hair extension really feels weird to me. It feels as if I’m not used in having long hair anymore.”

“But you lost to our bet so you have to pay for it,” said Luhan.

Seyoon sighed.

“What are you worrying about? It suits you just like the old days,” said Kris.

“I miss that Seyoon,” Chanyeol dreamily muttered.

“But I’m the same Seyoon that you are all talking about. Anyway, should we go now? I’d like to see the booths.”

“Wait, we are too many to walk together. I think we should split in pairs,” suggested Luhan as he gave Kris and Chanyeol some let’s-get-through-with-this-plan signal.

“So, how do we split into pairs?”

---

“Kai, don’t you want me as your partner?” Luhan teased as he clung his arm on Kai which the latter protested and draw his arm away from Luhan.

“Go away,” he muttered.

“Aren’t you happy that we’re a pair? First, we will go to the café booth, and then maybe we can try the fortune-telling booth, then the photo sticker booth, then—”

“I wonder if Kris is okay with Lay. I mean, Lay is the quiet type, same goes with Kris. I’m afraid they will end up not talking the whole time,” said Seyoon.

“Don’t worry. Both of them speak Chinese. I’m sure they are communicating well now,” said Chanyeol.

She was still thinking of Kris even though she was already partnered with someone else. But more than that, Kai didn’t expect that Seyoon would end up being paired with Chanyeol. He was expecting it to be Kris but the other was paired with Lay. There must be some conspiracy going on. But the odds of Chanyeol getting paired with Seyoon were usually high. It must really be fate, Kai thought.

But he shouldn’t complain now. He was still lucky that even though he wasn’t paired up with Seyoon, at least, Seyoon wasn’t paired up with Kris. And at least, Chanyeol and her still stayed with them.

“Shall we go together?” Luhan asked Chanyeol with a secret wink.

“Ahh, I don’t know,” Chanyeol resisted a bit.

“Yah! It is rare that I am spending the school festival with Seyoon, we should go together. I know Kai wouldn’t mind. Right?” Luhan and Chanyeol both looked at Kai.

“Whatever. I prefer going in fours rather than being left here with this—“ Kai eyed Luhan.

What? This what? You’re lucky I am helping you, Luhan thought.

“I’m not sure. Are you alright with it Seyoon?”

“Hm. I don’t mind at all. I think the more, the merrier.” Seyoon smiled at them. It wasn’t only Kai that felt his heart beat, even Chanyeol and Luhan.

“Okay, let’s go!” said Luhan as he grabbed Seyoon’s hand.

“Hey, she’s my partner. Go away!” protested Chanyeol.

This is more chaotic than I thought, thought Kai.

---

“Why do we have to buy these for them?” Kai complained while holding two bubble teas as what Luhan and Chanyeol requested.

“Where are they?” asked Seyoon when they reached the spot where they left Chanyeol and Luhan earlier. The two promised to stay on that place as they wait for Seyoon and Kai who were assigned to buy snacks for the four. “They don’t expect us to hold these drinks for too long. Those two—”

“Do you want me to give them a call? But—” Seyoon forgot that she was also holding two bubble teas meant for her and Chanyeol.

“No. I’ll guess we’ll just wait here,” which they did for thirty minutes utmost which made Kai irritated and drank his share of his bubble tea, same as Seyoon.

“Do you still think they’ll go back?” asked Seyoon.

“Those two brats must have been enjoying their time now forgetting about us. And worse, maybe they already forgot this spot.” There was a momentary silence. Kai looked at Seyoon, the other glance back but for brief seconds. Kai didn’t know if it was a good idea but he’d rather ask Seyoon than let them stay on their spot while the others were already enjoying the school festival on their own. “Ah Seyoon?”

“Hmm?” Seyoon unknowingly started to take a sip from Chanyeol’s bubble tea.

“Do you want to explore the booths with just the two of us? I mean, you know, we couldn’t just stay he—”

“Sure,” replied Seyoon with a hesitant half smile. She didn’t know if it was a good idea but as what Kai told her, they really couldn’t just stay on the same place for the whole day.

“Besides, I don’t think Chanyeol would like to see that you already started drinking his bubble tea,” Kai teased.

“Oh!” Seyoon exclaimed when she realized that she was already drinking Chanyeol’s. “I always wanted to try this flavor,” she replied embarrassingly.

“I guess Luhan will not mind if I took a sip of his bubble tea,” said Kai as he also started to drink Luhan’s share. “Let’s go,” and without hesitation Kai grabbed Seyoon’s hand.

Let’s just enjoy this moment, our last school festival together.

---

“I can’t believe I’m doing this,” said Chanyeol as he looked, from the window of an empty classroom, at Kai and Seyoon’s retreating figure below, on the spot where he and Luhan promised to wait for them. “I was hoping to spend the school festival with her this time but…”

“You should be happy about it. They’re spending their time together now. I just hope that the boy would realize who he really wants,” said Kris who was leaning on one of the desks.

“Where’s Lay by the way?” asked Luhan.

“I told him that we are going to join Xiumin and Kyungsoo.”

“Kris, why do we have to have Seyoon wear the hair extension again?” asked Chanyeol.

“Because,” Kris stood up and went to the window where Chanyeol was staring at. “Based on the stories you’ve said to me and based on my observation of Krystal, the possibility that Kai and Krystal ended up together is because Krystal and Seyoon have a lot of similarities. In other words Kai doesn’t really like Krystal per se. It is because Kai sees Seyoon in Krystal.”

“Now that you’ve mentioned it, Seyoon with her long hair really looks like Krystal,” said Luhan.

“Maybe if we’ll let that old Seyoon back just for once then maybe Jongin will realize who he really likes,” said Kris.

Maybe it’s better that I don’t tell them the real reason why Seyoon had to let her hair be cut. It’s all in the past now. I just hope that Kai will realize what he has lost these past years. Chanyeol looked at Kris and Luhan. “Shall we go to the fortune-telling booth?” he asked with his huge grin.

---

“Bad luck. No matter how I look at the cards, only one thing comes out – bad luck. Sorry Seyoon,” said Taemin who ran the fortune-telling booth. “But you don’t have to worry about it. If you’ll just buy this lucky charms we have here, it will surely bring you good luck for the rest of the year.”

“No, thanks. Don’t believe him. Since when did you learn to read the fortune of others, Taemin?” Kai complained. He really didn’t want to go to the fortune-telling booth knowing that Taemin was the one handling it but Seyoon insisted since a while ago, saying that there was nothing wrong trying it.

 After all, we are the ones who draw our own destiny, were her exact words to Kai.

“But that’s what the cards are saying. I won’t insist that you believe me if that’s what you want but all I can say is that you have to be careful Seyoon. There are a lot of bad elements out there,” Taemin drew his head closer to Seyoon and whispered, “especially those greedy ones.”

“Ssh – shoo! Don’t listen to him. We’ll go now.”

“How about you, don’t you want your fortune to be told?”

“Like I said, I don’t believe you.”

“Come on, just draw one card for fun, Kai,” Taemin insisted.

Kai looked at Seyoon and she gave a nod at him. He sighed before drawing a card from Taemin.

“Oh!” Taemin gasped. “You got ‘The Chariot’. I won’t go any further but in general this card represents a battle. I can’t say if it’s an inner battle – meaning a battle of your thoughts – or if it’s an outer battle – maybe an upcoming obstacle or problem. One of the key advises that I could give to those who have drawn this card is that you have to have control, Kai – whether it’s emotion, people, circumstances. You have to have motivation to won over what over obstacles that may come to you.”

Seyoon’s head kept on bobbing as she listened to Taemin’s words while Kai just looked at him nonchalantly.

“Okay,” was Kai’s only response after everything that Taemin told him. “Let’s go, Seyoon.”

“Tch, you’re stubborn as always. Just remember what I told you.”

“We will,” Seyoon smiled. “Thanks, Taemin.”

“You’re welcome Seyoon and bye Kai,” Taemin gave Kai a frown before leaving them and went to his other customers.

“That’s interesting,” said Seyoon.

“Right but don’t believe in everything that he has said. It’s not as if he really knows what he is saying.”

“But it’s still good to hear everything that he said.”

“What’s good about that?”

“Let’s just say it serves as a warning to us. From now on, we have to be careful.”

“Don’t worry. It is not as if something bad will happen to us.”

“Really?” Seyoon looked at Kai with a cunning smile.

“Why? Why are you looking at me like that?”

“It’s almost dark and I think there’s still one booth that I wanted to go to.”

“Huh?”

---

“Woah, did you hear that? I think I heard Chanyeol’s voice,” said Kai. The two of them were standing in front of a room which turned into a haunted house.

“I think I heard Kris’ voice too. Oh, is that Luhan?”

“No, it’s just your imagination?” Tsk. Even in her imagination, Kris’ voice is all that she could hear.

“Woah, that’s definitely Chanyeol’s,” they both confirmed.

As the screams got louder and louder, Seyoon could feel Kai’s trembling hand slowly brushing hers. One loud scream and his fingers were already instinctively interlocked with hers. Seyoon could see the fear in Kai’s face. She knew he hated anything dark and scary. But since it was just a once in lifetime experience and their last school festival experience as highschoolers, maybe there was nothing wrong having fun sometimes.

Seyoon smirked before she pushed Kai inside the haunted.

“Just stay beside me,” said Kai, a little manly as if he was the one protecting Seyoon even though the reality was it was the other way around.

“Don’t worry. I will never leave you,” she said to him with smile. And Kai felt as if his world stopped for a second.

---

Although it was an exhilarating experience, Kai promised himself that he wouldn’t – crossed his heart and pinky swore to himself – never ever enter a haunted house in any shape or form, at any location, no matter who he was with, in the future. It is embarrassing, he thought, especially when he screamed like a girl – he tried to cover his mouth but he couldn’t help it – whenever someone unexpected would come out. The worst and most embarrassing moment was when they were already outside and was about to take a commemorative photo when suddenly the confetti machine blasted confetti and he literally jumped behind Seyoon in shock and fear. How he hated any surprises? From then on, he added the confetti on his most hated list.

Seyoon, on the other hand, was covering not because she was stopping herself from screaming but because she was stopping herself from laughing out loud. Kai’s frightened expressions were too much for her enjoyment that she couldn’t help sometimes but to giggle while Kai wasn’t looking. Although she must say that she had to give him props for staying upfront like a brave man. It was the funniest and most enjoyable moment she had with Kai. How she wished that it was not just a onetime moment.

“Are you alright?”

I should be the one asking you that. “Yes I am. Don’t worry about me.”

“Alright, that’s good to hear. Seyoon?”

“Yes?”

“Why is it as if you’re not afraid of the dark? I mean, you still look calm and all.”

“Because if I do, I’ll never survive living alone. Remember that my parents always go on a business trip so most of the time, I stay alone at home. I think that’s when I learn to be brave. Why? Are you afraid that I’d run and leave you there alone?”

“What? Why would I be afraid? No, I’m not. And even if you leave me, I’ll survive that place,” Kai responded. But the truth was there was a fear in him that Seyoon would leave him suddenly out of the blue. It was hard being left alone especially by the person he hoped to stay closer.

Kai wouldn’t admit it but he knew that when if he was in the dark and opened his eyes, the first person he always hoped to see was just one person. How did he not notice it before? Why only realize it now? It is Seyoon.

---

“Seyoon!” Chanyeol called Seyoon as soon as she and Kai reached the school rooftop. “We’ve been waiting for you!”

“Shouldn’t we be the one to say that to you? Where have you been? Telling us to buy those teas and then you’ll just leave without a word,” Kai complained.

“Ey, don’t be angry at me. Luhan just need to go to the restroom and I never thought that he would take longer than expected.”

“What?” said Luhan.

“Anyway, let’s go. The fireworks display will start soon,” said Chanyeol.

All of their friends were already there. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were distributing cans of juice while Xiumin was giving away some steamed buns. Sehun and Kris were busy setting up the camera.

“What is that camera for?” asked Lay.

“To record the fireworks display and to take our pictures later,” Sehun replied.

Seyoon went near the railing with her can of juice. She could see below, even though it was already dark, that there were still a lot of students trying the booths. She didn’t notice that Kai joined her too.

“When was the last time that we spent the school festival together?” Kai suddenly asked her.

Seyoon looked at him, wanting to ask him why he asked that question. He should remember it well. “First year, it was during our first year in high school.”

“You still have your long hair back then.”

“Right.” Seyoon hold her can of juice a little tight.

“You were often mistaken as Krystal.”

Seyoon stayed silent and started drinking the juice.

“In fact, you have lot similarities but the most obvious to everybody was the hair. I just don’t understand it though, why did you have to cut your hair?”

“Don’t you remember?” Seyoon whispered but it seemed like Kai had heard it.

“What?”

“What I meant was don’t you remember it? You already asked me that question a long time ago? And I already told you the answer. I want change, you know, because I always have that length for too long.”

“Oh, I see,” Kai stayed silent as he watched Seyoon gulped the last of her drink.

“Can I remove this hair extension? It’s kind of hot in here,” she asked but without waiting for Kai’s response as she removed it immediately.

“It doesn’t matter,” muttered Kai.

“Huh?”

“It doesn’t matter if you have long or short hair. Both suit you well. Besides, no matter what hairstyle, you’re still the same Seyoon inside. That’s all that matter, right?” Seyoon looked at Kai, his eyes turned into crescents and his smile beaming under the night sky.

I guess it’s better that he doesn’t know the real reason. It’s all in the past anyway. I think it’s better that we stay like this. That I see him smile is enough, Seyoon thought.

“I guess you’re right.”

“Princess,” Kris ruffled Seyoon’s hair. The two didn’t notice his presence a while ago. “You look cute with your long hair but I think I’ll prefer this one. So I can do this,” he said as he ruffled her hair again.

“Stop it, Kris!” Kris ran as Seyoon ran after him. The two played like a child and after a while, Chanyeol joined them too.

Kai watched them, watched her.

Who weigh to her more? Was it him or Kris? He didn’t know the answer now but he would like to find the answer soon especially when he already knew what he really wanted. Just like what Taemin told him, if he would like to win over his struggles, he had to have control over his emotions, his wants, and the circumstances around him. Now he knew what he really wanted, the only thing left was to take actions.

---

It was only a week left before the audition and to certain circumstances, the day of the audition was also the same day as Kai and Krystal would celebrate their second year of being in a relationship.

He didn’t know if it was the right time to say this to her but he knew that it was better to say it now than to wait for them to reach their anniversary. It would hurt her more if he did. Besides, he knew that Krystal would be able overcome it fast so he had to say it earlier. He knew he couldn’t lie to himself and more than anyone, he couldn’t lie to her anymore. He knew perfectly the difference of what he was feeling when he was with Seyoon compared with when he was with Krystal. There was a huge heartfelt difference.

There were things that were meant to end. His relationship with Krystal was one of them.

 

 Kai reached the door of the music room, the place where he and Krystal frequently and secretly meet after school hours; the place where they mostly spent their time together these past two years; the place where he listened to her performances and compliment her afterwards; the place where they used to laugh when he would tell her jokes and stories; the place where she first told him that she already liked him for a long time; the place where she kissed him all of a sudden and he didn’t know what to do then; the place where he came back after days and asked her if it was okay for them to date; the place where they made their relationship official; and the place where it all had to end.

This is it, he thought as he turned the knob with his sweaty palm. Nervousness took its toll on him but he had to face it. No matter what he did, there was only one person that dominated his mind in the past few days and he wouldn’t lie to himself anymore. He wouldn’t avert his thoughts; he wouldn’t deny it. If he wanted to start things with Seyoon, he had to end things with Krystal.

“Krystal,” he called her name but much to his surprise.

“Kai…” There she was sitting in front of her piano. But Kai didn’t expect to see her in such condition – she was crying.

Kai approached her and sat beside her. “What’s wrong?”

“Ka-Kai,” she stuttered, her voice cracked with every tear that fell. “My new music coach—”

“Why? What about him?”

“He—he already found out about us.”

Kai’s eyes grew wide in surprise. This was bad, he knew, Krystal knew. If once they’ve found out about their relationship, there was a big chance that Krystal would be withdrawn from her scholarship. Worse, she would be entitled to pay all of her tuition in the past three years and he knew that her family wasn’t capable of doing that.

“How? But we’ve been very careful about this.”

“Seyoon…”

Maybe it isn’t right time to tell her now. Why Seyoon? Why?

 

~*~

 

“Kai, can I talk to you for a second?” Seyoon said to him and Kai could sense the nervousness in her voice.

“Actually, I also have to tell you something.”

The two stayed inside the classroom after the class had ended. Unexpectedly, Chanyeol didn’t stay and wait for Seyoon like what he always did.

“You go ahead then.”

“No, you go ahead. I’ll just say mine after you,” Seyoon insisted.

“Alright. Seyoon,” Kai looked at her straight in the eyes. Seyoon waited for his words. “I asked Krystal out.” Seyoon froze on her seat. “And she said yes. We’re dating now.”

Kai let go of the words without looking at Seyoon. He couldn’t look at her with reasons he didn’t know. But he should be happy now that he already had a girlfriend, right? He was actually but not fully.

“Oh,” Seyoon stood up with her hair covering her face. It took a while before she lifted her head and looked at him with a smile. “Congratulations then. I – I am happy for you,” she stuttered with her words. “About the thing that I’m supposed to tell you, I just want to tell you that I am going with Chanyeol today to the library. That’s all. I’ll see you then. And you don’t have to wait for me. I’ll go home alone.” With that, Seyoon left without looking at him.

Why was there a bitter after taste when he told his relationship with Krystal to Seyoon? Why did it felt as if there was something out of place?

~*~

 

 What kind of chaos did I put myself into?