28

Just When I Thought I Was Over You
 

XXVIII

 

 

Seyoon entered the park with a smile plastered on her face. It was a smile that Luhan had never seen before. It was a smile similar to that of an innocent child but hers was more vibrant and genuine, Luhan thought.

“Was it your first time here?” he asked her.

Seyoon shook her head. “No. I already came here many times but that was a long long time ago.” Suddenly Luhan noticed that the smile in Seyoon’s face faded. “My grandpa would always bring me here when I used to visit Korea when I was young.”

“He must be too old now to bring you here,” Luhan joked, trying to bring back the smile on her face again.

“Actually, he already passed away just this year,” Seyoon replied with a despondent face.

“Oh…I’m sorry. I thought he was still…” Luhan apologized. If only he could turn back what he had said, he would.

“No need to apologize,” a smile re her face. “It’s been a while anyway since I talked about my grandpa. Anyway, no matter how many times I’ve been here, I don’t think I could still ride those kiddie rides anymore.”

“Well then, we should create a new memory of your visit here like it is your first time. And let’s start with ah…” Luhan’s fingers continued to tap his lips as he tried to look for their first ride. But his eyes grew wide in anxiety and started biting his lips. He had forgotten something when he asked Seyoon to go out with him. Because of too much excitement, he forgot the fact that one of the things he feared the most was located in amusement parks, the thrill rides. He hated it so much.

---

“This is weird.”

“What?”

“It’s the first time that you’re bringing me out on a date. I mean, this far. You only promised me that we will have a meal after my performance. I never thought you’ll bring me here.”

“Don’t you like it?”

“Of course I like it. Let’s go,” she said as she clung on his arm.

Kai didn’t know what he was thinking when he suddenly asked Krystal to go with him. But it’s too late to go back now because they were already inside the amusement park. His mind was too preoccupied of Luhan and Seyoon’s date that he suddenly asked Krystal to go with him to the amusement park. And Krystal was right – it was the first time they were having a date outside the vicinity of the school. Well, they’ve been out a lot of times but only on places near their school. It was their first official outside date if they could call it a date. Because by the time Kai entered the park, all he thought was where Seyoon was at the moment.

---

“What are you doing here? I thought you are with Luhan right now,” Chanyeol anxiously asked as he saw Lay and Xiumin in their dorm cafeteria.

“Ahh…we are the one who should ask you that. Luhan said that you’re coming with Seyoon. Why are you here?” replied Xiumin. He was hoping that Baekhyun and Chanyeol didn’t notice that they were only playing online games on Lay’s laptop. He tapped Lay’s hand as Lay immediately put down the cover of his laptop.

“We have an emergency. And we need to solve it before the day ends,” said Baekhyun. “What about you?”

“Ahh…” Xiumin’s gaze traveled across the cafeteria, looking for an excuse.

“We are doing our project. The deadline is tomorrow. We need to finish it now,” Lay replied. Xiumin sighed. Good thing Lay was always there.

“So it means Seyoon is going with that brat only. Ahh…it’s our fault,” Chanyeol buried his head on his palms.

“It’s okay buddy. Luhan is a great friend. Besides, I think they are enjoying the rides right now,” said the smiling Xiumin as he patted Chanyeol’s back. What Baekhyun and Chanyeol didn’t know was the fact that Lay and Xiumin only made an excuse not to come with Luhan. Their true purpose was to let Seyoon see how scaredy-cat Luhan was when it comes to amusement park rides. Just imagining Luhan’s scared face would create a huge grin on their faces.

---

“Yah, you’re holding my hand too tight. What’s wrong with you?” Seyoon said to Luhan. She could feel how Luhan’s grip tightened as they walked towards the Viking ride.

“Shall we eat first or something? I mean, I--- I am quite hungry you know,” Luhan stuttered.

“Why are you talking like that? Ahh…are you, by any chance, afraid of…?”

“No! Afraid of rides? No way! Luhan? Not me,” Luhan said with a forced confident tone, trying to convince Seyoon that he was brave enough to ride the rides.

“Well, what are we waiting for? Let’s go!” Seyoon started to walk again to the direction of the Viking ride but Luhan’s grip got tighter and tighter. And she felt as if no blood was flowing on her veins anymore.

“Can we go to the restroom first? I have to…”

“Are we going or not? Well, let me tell you. If you don’t ride the amusement park rides with me, I am not telling a single thing about myself to you. And neither will I listen to anything that you’ll say to me. So, I’ll let you choose. Are we riding the Viking or are we calling this a day?”

“You mean…we’re…going home?”

Seyoon nodded at him. “It’s your choice.”

Luhan took a deep breath. He had to face his fears or else Seyoon would leave him and everything would go to waste. “Let…let’s go.” Luhan gulped all his fears for that last time.

“It seems like today is your unlucky day,” Seyoon said with a huge grin on his face. And it was indeed because Luhan didn’t know that Seyoon’s most favorite thing to do when she like to have fun and forget her problems was to ride thrill rides. It’s been a while since she ride thrill rides and she’d make sure that she’d ride all of them today. She reached out her hand to grab Luhan’s hand as they walked to the ride together.

---

“Are you bored?” Krystal asked Kai. Krystal could see Kai’s averting gaze as if he was looking for something. Other than that, he was also walking ahead of her like he forgot that she was with him. “Are you looking for something?”

Suddenly Kai noticed that Krystal was holding his hand to stop him from walking. “Sorry. Ahh…I am just looking for a good ride,” he excused.

“Oh, why don’t we start with the Viking ride?” she said smiling at him.

After seeing her smile, Kai felt guilty that he brought Krystal here and yet his mind was too preoccupied with other things. Maybe it was good that he forgot about Seyoon and her whereabouts. She’s old enough anyway to handle her own affairs. Besides, there was nothing he could do anyway even if Luhan and Seyoon’s relationship got better. He had his own things to think of now. Maybe it was better that he focused on his date, Krystal, and no one else.

“Sure,” he replied to her, forcing a smile.

---

Seyoon hands were on the grip as the Viking ship swung back and forth. She made sure that they were riding at the uppermost end of the ship so she and Luhan could experience the real thrill.

“My full name is Jin Seyoon! What’s your full name?!” she shouted to Luhan.

‘Huh? What is she talking about? Why is she shouting her name?’ Luhan thought. His eyes were shut closely and didn’t want to open it. If only Seyoon let them sit at the middle, he wouldn’t feel his stomach grumble and his body parts rolled inside.

“I told you earlier that I’ll tell you something about me when we got on the rides! We are here now so I am starting to introduce myself! Let me repeat, what’s your full name?!” Seyoon asked again. She was enjoying this too much. And there were no other ways to enjoy it more than to see Luhan’s frightened and panicking face. Maybe letting him did the self-introduction while riding the Viking was a great idea. And his mind might focus on it rather than his fear of rides, she thought.

“My name is…AHHH! Why are we doing this?” Luhan pleaded. But no matter how much he shouted, Seyoon was still smiling beside him. Finally, he found the courage when he opened his eyes and looked at Seyoon’s smiling face. He liked his smile the most. “I am Lu Han! I am 19 years old (Korean age)! I came from China but I studied in Korea from primary school to middle school! How about you?!”

“I am also 19 years old. I am Korean but I was born in America! I started living here when I transferred during the second year of middle school!”

‘What? Isn’t that the year that I met her? So she just came from America back then,’ Luhan thought. “What’s your favorite color? Mine is White!” Luhan shouted.

“White? Is that even a color?” Seyoon looked at her pouting. Luhan laughed at her. She looked cute when she did that, Luhan thought. “Mine was apple green!” And questions went on and on until the ride stopped.

Maybe the other people beside them thought there were two crazy teenagers riding the ship with them. But they didn’t care because now, Seyoon was having fun doing this with Luhan. In fact, she learned a lot of things from him within that small period of time like how he liked the sports soccer or how liked to play Rubik’s cube when he’s bored. And Luhan didn’t care at all because now, at least, he started to know Seyoon a little at a time like it was the first time that he found out that she had a brother and that she also came from another country like him.

“Where do we go next? Ahh! How about the roller coaster?” she said with excitement glinted in her eyes.

“Ahh…how about we eat first?”

“Eyy, here you go again. Are you still afraid?”

“No! I promise, really, after we eat we’ll ride the roller coaster. It’s just that, I forget to eat lunch when I left home. I am just too hungry,” Luhan pouted. Seyoon didn’t like that look like he was doing a cute pleading face. It didn’t affect her at all but there was nothing she could do. Maybe he was really hungry, she thought.

“Alright. But you promised and I’ll never forget that,” she threatened.

While they were walking and looking for a place to eat, Luhan found the opportunity to ask Seyoon more about her. “Seyoon, can I ask you something? I hope you don’t mind,” he said to her. Seyoon looked at his puffed face. She laughed upon seeing it.

“Don’t do that face again. You won’t look cute no matter how hard you try.”

“What face?” Luhan asked curiously. He really didn’t know what she was talking about. And the cute face? He thought maybe he was naturally making a cute face. And maybe Seyoon liked it but didn’t want to admit it, he thought. “I know I am cute. But that’s not what I want to talk about. I am just curious. How did you become close to Kai?”

Suddenly, Luhan noticed the change in Seyoon’s face. She wasn’t showing anger or anything but her face suddenly turned emotionless. He thought maybe it was wrong to ask her about that or anything that was related to Kai. He was supposed to say something when Seyoon suddenly faced him and spoke.

“His father was my father’s best friend. In fact, they’re more like brothers. My grandpa even considered Uncle Kim as his own son. Our families are close. Close enough that I almost see Kai every day. I really didn’t know him even when I visited Korea a lot of times before. We only knew each other in middle school. It was a weird first meeting,” Seyoon continued. Luhan could see her face turned lighter as she reminisced. But there was a sad hint on her eyes.

“Actually her mom asked him to look for me at school that’s why we became friends. And eventually I met his friends and became my closest friends too. He is like a my guardian in school,” she stopped. “Why are you asking about him anyway? Don’t tell me you are more interested on him.”

“What?!” Luhan chuckled. “No. I am just curious that’s all. I mean, when we first met you were like inseparable twins. If only you didn’t tell me you were his fan, I would think you were his girlfriend,” he said to him in a joking tone.

“What?! Never! We were never in a relationship that you think it was. He was more like a brother. And I was more like…a sister to him,” she said with the last words uttered in low tone. Luhan was about to apologize for asking such stupid questions when Seyoon suddenly spoke. “Ahh! Why am I saying this to you?! Whatever it is between me and Kai, it’s nothing. You said you are hungry. Let’s go find a restaurant faster. I want to ride the roller coaster soon,” she said angrily to him.

Luhan just chuckled at her pouting face. Whether she was smiling or angry, Luhan liked the multitude of expressions he had seen from her today. Maybe he really liked her. Maybe this was what true love was all about, he thought.

---

Kai rode the Viking ride as Krystal suggested. For a moment, he enjoyed that moment with her as he held her hands during the whole fun ride. Maybe he should bring her here once in a while. It was an experience he never experienced before. And he was happier because he saw the happiness on Krystal’s face.

But that didn’t take long because while they were walking to the next ride, he saw two familiar figures he should have forgot. And he and Krystal were walking towards their direction. He didn’t know if he would turn directions or not. But it was too late now because Luhan had his eye on their direction and Kai could see a grin forming on the other man’s face.