4

Just When I Thought I Was Over You

 

IV

 

 

Immediately after buying drinks from the vending machine, Kai headed back to their classroom. Until then, he couldn’t stop thinking about the girl he had met earlier. Maybe she was a freshman, he thought, since he hadn’t seen her before. As he entered the classroom, he saw a silhouette of a girl sitting beside his sit.

“But, is it really okay if I sit here?” she asked the boys.

“Don’t worry. Besides, that’s an empty seat anyway,” said Baekhyun who was sitting in front.

“What if my seatmate gets mad?”

“It’s alright. Although Kai is a jerk, he will never get mad at girls especially to a girl with a long beautiful hair like you,” said Chanyeol.

“Who is that jerk you are talking about? And for the record, not all long-haired girls are attractive.” Kai entered the room.

“Oh, there you are. What took you so long?” asked Baekhyun.

“After buying you some drink, you still call me a jerk.” Just when he was about to sit on his seat, the girl beside him turned her head towards his direction. “Oh! Persimmon juice?”

“Oh!” she exclaimed.

“Persimmon juice?” asked Kyungsoo.

Just when he was about to tell the story, the homeroom teacher had already entered the room.

“Ok, I know you are all excited to tell your friends about your vacation stories but we have to start the class now. All of you back to your seats.” The teacher scanned the classroom and stopped towards the new girl’s direction. “Oh…look what we have here, a new student. You’re the transferee from America, right? Please stand here and introduce yourself.”

That must have been the reason why her accent was weird, he thought. Even though, he had known her since this morning, she still had not introduced herself yet. Since she came from America, Kai thought that she must have had foreign name…Jessica, Tiffany, Sunny…Maybe Suzy or Gina?

“Good morning. I am Jin Seyoon. First of all, I would like to apologize if my Korean isn’t that good. I am still learning how to speak the language. Anyway, I hope that I could be friends with all of you. Nice to meet you all,” she smiled and went back to her seat.

“Jin Seyoon, what a lovely name,” said Chanyeol as Seyoon passed by him.

“Thanks,” she said shyly.

“By the way, Seyoon-shi? You said you’re surname was Jin. So you must have known Suho, Jin Suho?”

“He’s my older brother.”

“Oh…Well, he was last year’s class valedictorian. No pressure but I also expect something good from you.”

Kai looked at her as she smiled confidently to our teacher. ‘Jin? What…so she must have been the one that my mom was talking about this morning.’

---

“Do you know that starting today; your Uncle Jin’s daughter will be transferring to your school? In case you see her, don’t forget to treat her well and take care of her. Oh and bring her today at our house. We will have a dinner with their family.”

---

‘Treat her well and take care of her!? Now, I became her babysitter of this American-born Korean girl, Kai thought. He wondered if they could get along well. She suddenly turned her head and smiled at him. He thought that she must have noticed that he was staring at her. He just gave her a forced smile before he turned his gaze to somewhere else. She always smiled to everyone she saw. He admitted her smile was something that could calm a man with an angry temper. It was so lenient, so genuine.

After class, the four of boys had headed home. Well of course, they brought Seyoon with them since Kyungsoo suggested that they tour her around the school.

“Ah. So that was what the persimmon juice was all about and the reason why it took you so long to buy the juice,” said Baekhyun.

“Haha! You’re such a cute girl,” Chanyeol poked her cheek.

“So you were waiting for too long. I don’t know. I am sorry.” She said as she gave that poor-little-thing, I-am-sorry, please-forgive-me cute face.

“Oh no! I am not mad. I am happy that I was able to help you,” Kai replied while giving her another of his forced smile.

“So, you were the dongsaeng of Suho-sunbaenim. No wonder why you also smile a lot. He just smiles at everyone who passed by him,” said Kyungsoo.

“Well, I guess we’re very much alike.”

“Oh Seyoon, look! Our favorite hangout place, the ddeokbokki stall!” exclaimed Baekhyun as he ran happily towards the store grabbing Chanyeol’s hand. “Oh, why are you here?”

“I don’t know. You’re the one who dragged me here.”

“I thought I grabbed Seyoon’s hand. Aish!” He gave Chanyeol a headlock as they playfully fight in front of the stall.

“Hey, what are you two doing?” said Kyungsoo as he ran towards them. Kai looked at Seyoon as she laughed at their crazy antics. He and Sehun just smiled at them.

“Seyoon come here. I’ll treat you a cup of ddeokkbokki as your welcome gift,” said Baekhyun as he handed her the cup of ddeokbokki.

“Ddeokbokki!” she ate a handful of ddeokbokki and shouted, ”It tastes so good! I’ve seen some of this in New York but they never tasted as authentic as this.”

‘Ah…she seemed to get excited over some trivial things. What a noob’ Kai said to himself.

“I want some too,” he said as he reached the stall.

“Here, have a bite,” Seyoon offered him a stick of ddeokbokki from her cup.

“You want me to eat from there?”

“Oh, come on Kai. She’s feeding you. Just accept it!” said Baekhyun as he wrapped his arms around Kai’s head.

“Don’t you dare give me a headlock!” Kai glared at him.

“You must have been sensitive about sharing,” she said sadly as she slowly put back the ddeokbokki to her cup. But before that, Kai quickly grabbed her hand and ate the ddeokbokki on the stick.

“As expected, this tastes so good,” he said to her. Looking pleased, she smiled to him. She looked at Sehun and whispered something to Baekhyun.

“Is Sehun speech-impaired?” They all burst into laughter by what she said.

“Did I say something wrong? I haven’t heard him speak a word since this morning. It was even Kyungsoo who told me his name and the one who shouted ‘present!’ during the class attendance.” They were all forcing to hide their laughter but they really couldn’t while Sehun just lowered his head down out of embarrassment.

“No, Sehun is just the quiet type and he’s probably shy because it is our first time to hang out with a girl,” Chanyeol explained to her.

“Don’t worry. He is someone who could listen to you no matter how many problems or anger you throw at him. He’s the best listener among us,” Kai said to her.

“Ahjumma, a….a cup of….ddeokbokki…for me,” Sehun spoke shyly. Seyoon just smiled at him.

“Your voice sounds cool,” she said. Kai could see a slight blush on Sehun’s face.

“Come on Sehun, did you hear that? She said your voice sounds cool. From now on, be a little more expressive,” Baekhyun said to Sehun.

“Okay! Our next stop is our dorm!” shouted Chanyeol.

“Dorm? You live in a dorm?” asked Seyoon.

“Well, unlike Kai and Sehun, the three of us are not actually natives of Seoul. So we live in a dorm designated for the students of our school,” explained Kyungsoo.

“Oh…So we’re going to hang out on your dorm. Sounds fun! Let’s go!” Seyoon said excitedly.

“Oh no…wait!” Kai grabbed her bag preventing her to move. “No, you can’t go.”

Seyoon looked at his hand which firmly held her bag and then she looked at him, “Why?” she asked.

“Yeah, why don’t you let her go?” said Baekhyun who’s pouting at Kai.

“Oh no. Your cute faces won’t affect me. First of all, it is not just an ordinary dorm. It is an all-boys dormitory.”

“But we allow female visitors until seven PM.”

“Shhshh…Secondly, they’ll just make you play Godori with them. And if you got hooked on the game, they’ll start betting whether it’s food, personal belongings, and worst of all, money. So it’s either you become the victim or not.”

“Oh come one, Kai. Don’t spoil the fun. Plus, I know Seyoon wants to learn how to play Godori.” Seyoon nodded at Chanyeol and looked at Kai.

“No. I am not falling for that look. And, we should go now. Our family will have a special dinner with your family so just wave them goodbye.”

Seyoon just waved at them while walking backwards because Kai was dragging her by grabbing her bag as he walked towards the bus stop.

“We’ll bring you to our dorm next time!” Chanyeol shouted as the four of them waved goodbye.

“Are we taking the bus?” she asked Kai. She looked excited as ever.

“Our car is not available right now so we’re taking the bus. Why, is it your first time taking the bus?”

“No. We also have school bus in America. But it is my first time riding a public bus,” she just smiled as they waited for the bus to arrive.

“Aren’t you mad at me that I stopped you from hanging out with them?”

“Oh no. You said that there will be a family dinner, right? Well, that’s more important. And, I could still hang out with them next time.” Here she was again, he thought, with that innocent beautiful smile. Kai stopped staring at her when the bus arrived. Since it was already the afternoon rush hour, the bus was crowded with students from different school.

Kai grabbed her hand as they squeezed their way towards the empty seat at the back. Unfortunately, there was only one seat left. He offered her the seat as he grabbed the railing above me. The bus moved unsteadily and the humps caused Kai to lose my grip and became unbalance. Before he even fell down, Seyoon quickly grabbed his left hand.

“You grip on the rail with your right hand while I’ll hold your left hand so you won’t fall in case you lose balance,” she said to him as she gripped his hand tightly. They held hands for the entire trip. That warm and soft grip, for some reason, gave him a sense of safety as they waited for the bus to arrive at their destination.

~*~