61

Just When I Thought I Was Over You

Drama will be drag on till the next chapter so please, please don't kill me virtually or mentally. 


 

LXI

 

 

~*~

Chanyeol fidgeted with his phone every now and then. Baekhyun could see how the giant would return and then pull out and then return his phone to his pocket. The weirdest thing was when the giant started chewing the cover of his phone.

“Yah, what’s wrong with you?”

Chanyeol stopped, his phone stuck between his lips. “No—thing.”

“Uh-huh.” When Baekhyun thought it was all over, Chanyeol started biting his nails this time. “Hey! Stop that, will you?”

“I’m sorry, okay? I just…I’m excited and nervous and dying here.”

“Why?”

“You’ll see.” Chanyeol beamed, showing his high-class twenty front teeth.

Baekhyun didn’t understand two things though. First, Kai suddenly texted his friends, to meet him at the entrance gate of their school early in the morning. Much to his surprise, when he thought that he would be the one waking Chanyeol up, it was the other way around. He remembered hearing him screamed this morning just with one text. That brought him to the second thing he couldn’t understand. Why was Chanyeol excited, nervous, and dying for this meeting? What was Kai up to anyway?

His questions were answered a few minutes later when he saw Kai walking to their direction with Seyoon following behind. Baekhyun swore he just heard Chanyeol giggled when he saw them from afar.

“So? What is this early get-together all about?” asked Baekhyun nonchalantly, seconded by Sehun’s loud yawn. Chanyeol was standing behind with his hands clasped and Kyungsoo just smiled.

“Well, I have good news for you.”

Chanyeol was moving his head as if he was looking for a sign. They aren’t holding hands. ‘Oh, they must still be shy about their new found relationship. Even though it hurts, I’m happy for Seyoon’, he soothed himself. He was just surprised that he didn’t cry yesterday night knowing that Seyoon had finally confessed to the person she liked.

“What is it?” Chanyeol asked Kai excitedly.

“I already have a girlfriend!” Kai exclaimed.

“Yeah, what?” Baekhyun and Kyungsoo exclaimed. Sehun scanned Kai from head to toe with a hint of surprised on his face.

“Congratulations! I’m so happy for you and—” Chanyeol wasn’t able to finish his words when Kai interrupted.

“I’m dating Krystal.”

Suddenly, Chanyeol’s happiness dropped drastically as if Kai dropped a bomb on him – the news about him and Krystal. He tried to be happy but he couldn’t. His eyes shifted on Seyoon who looked at him…with a smile.

For the first time, Chanyeol didn’t want to see Seyoon smile.

~*~

 

“Back again to regular classes,” said Baekhyun as he slumped his body on the seat next to Kai. The other seemed full of distant thoughts as his gaze never shifted from being fixed on the seat in front of him, Luhan’s seat. “Hey, you alright?” Baekhyun asked when he couldn’t take the silence anymore.

“Oh,” Kai snapped. “I’m alright.”

“Are you waiting for Luhan? It seems like he is hanging out with Chanyeol a lot lately. You should’ve have seen them though. Didn’t they go to your house this morning to fetch Seyoon?”

No, he didn’t. He went to school early. After his confrontation with Seyoon last week, he never talked to her. No matter how many times Seyoon tried to approach him, he tried to avoid her. He just locked himself inside his room to the point that he never joined her to eat. He would just come out of his room when he knew the Seyoon was already inside her room. It hurt him though especially when he would see that Seyoon still prepared his food for him.

But he couldn’t face her. Not after finding out what she did – exposing his relationship with Krystal. He still couldn’t believe it though but the pictures were just evidence of it. And her conversation with Kris, that only increased the suspicion. Just when he thought he already accept the fact that he liked Seyoon more than Krystal, it seemed like the tables were turned upside down once again.

“Good morning!” Luhan greeted upon entering the room.

“Aren’t you too happy for this lethargic morning? Can’t you see that everyone here are sad that the classes already resume?” said Baekhyun with a scowl.

“Relax. Of course, the fact that we are back to normal classes again is sad but I am more excited for the audition this Friday. I already want to see Seyoon’s performance.”

Just hearing Seyoon’s name made Kai uncomfortable on his seat, like something inside of him was slowly heating up.

“Pft. Who says you’re allowed to see the audition? The only people allowed there are the judges, the participants, the teachers, and the student council members. Since you’re neither any of them, you’re not allowed to watch.”

 Just when Luhan thought that his obstacle with Chanyeol was already over, it seemed like Chanyeol’s ing skill was transferred to his best friend, Baekhyun. This talkative brat!

“No! Please let me enter. I promise that I’ll behave and I’ll never do anything. Besides, I’ve been Kai’s coach for a week. At least, I want to see how he would perform for the audition. Am I right, buddy?”

Kai didn’t response at all even when Luhan waved his hand in front of his face. Kai only responded when Baekhyun nudged him slightly. “Hey, are you sure there’s nothing wrong?”

“What? Oh, yeah.”

“Yeah? There’s something wrong, isn’t it?” asked Baekhyun.

“No, I’m alright, seriously alright.” Kai smiled forcedly.

Baekhyun and Luhan looked at each other. Luhan noticed it, too. Seyoon was also spacing out a lot when they fetched her this morning. She wasn’t reacting at all even when he and Chanyeol fought in front of her. This is not just a coincidence, right?

“Hey, are we practicing after class?” Kai kicked Luhan’s chair lightly, getting the attention of the other. Baekhyun was also surprised that Kai was the one initiating his conversation with Luhan.

“Woah, after last week, do you still prefer practicing with me? I’m flattered but no.” Luhan rolled his eyes and turned his head to face the front once again.

“Why? Aren’t you the one enthusiastic to help me?”

This is unusual. He’s really pushing me to practice with him. Luhan’s eyebrows furrowed in doubt and confusion. Even though he wanted to help Kai, he couldn’t. And even though he wanted to tell the truth why he couldn’t help him, he couldn’t. He couldn’t tell Kai that he and Chanyeol had some kind of Seyoon-related meeting after school.

Luhan sighed. “Fine. I’ll help you with your practice later but you have to wait for me. You can go ahead to the practice room.” Luhan let out a half smile before facing the front again. I think Chanyeol will understand. Besides, being this close to Kai, I can monitor his relationship status with Seyoon and Krystal, Luhan assured himself.

“Thanks,” said Kai. This was better, he thought. He’d rather practice endlessly until he exhausted himself. This was also a good way to avoid Seyoon for the mean time until his head cooled down.

---

“Seyoon? Seyoon?”

Kyungsoo’s voice just bounced back when he noticed that Seyoon never moved or looked at him. He looked at Sehun who shrugged back at him. Chanyeol was busy talking with Luhan that they weren’t practically paying attention to Seyoon which was unusual. They even let Kyungsoo and Sehun sit beside Seyoon on their lunch table.

Seyoon lifted her head when she saw a piece of meat being lifted from her plate towards someone else’s mouth. She made eye contact with Sehun who had a guiltless look on his face, yet his mouth was obviously filled with food. Sehun shrugged and took another piece of meat from her plate.

“The food is getting colder,” Sehun managed to say after swallowing the food. “Is there anything wrong with you? Kyungsoo has been calling since a while ago, but you never answered back.”

Seyoon turned her head to Kyungsoo who was looking at him with concern-filled eyes. “I’m okay,” she said, not sounding a little bit off or suspicious.

“The pressure of the audition must have taken its toll on you now. Just don’t think too much about it okay,” Kyungsoo comforted her. Seyoon nodded, not really wanting to tell the real reason of her absentmindedness.

Chanyeol and Luhan noticed their friends consoling Seyoon. There must be really something wrong.

---

“I swear there is really something going on with her. She didn’t even touch her food during lunch. It’s been three days Kris and we’re really worried.”

It’s either she is pressured by the audition or maybe…

Chanyeol and Luhan waited for Kris’ voice to resume over the line but the other seemed to be in deep thought.

“Maybe what?” asked Luhan

Has Seyoon been acting strange lately aside from not eating during your lunchtime?”

“I don’t know,” Luhan denied. “Ask Chanyeol. They’re classmates for most of their subjects.”

“Well, she’s always been focused on class and I don’t think that’s unusual. Oh!”

Luhan looked flustered with Chanyeol’s sudden gasp. He even felt that Kris was also surprised on the other line.

What is it?” Kris asked coldly.

“Well, lately, she refused to practice with us after school for the audition. She always practices alone in the theater. No one really goes there to check her but we know she’s there after school.”

“She must be really pressured then. I’ll just drop by later to their house to see them. And…”

Chanyeol and Luhan drew their heads closer to phone which was turned into speaker mode to accommodate the two of them.

“What’s the news about Jongin? Still no progress?”

“That, we are not sure of. Luhan’s been practicing with him after class but—”

“But he seemed focus on the audition more than anything else. I think he is really determined to get that scholarship. He even asked me to stay for two more hours to practice. He’s really into it,” Luhan added.

They heard Kris sighed on the line. “If I didn’t make any milestone progress here, Suho will surely kill me when I go back.”

“Suho-sunbaenim?” Luhan asked. “Seyoon’s brother?”

“It’s a long story. To make the story short, I only have few days to stay here in Korea. And—”

“You what?!?” the two shouted in unison. Luckily, they were on the school rooftop and no one was there to hear any of their conversation.

“Yeah and don’t pretend as if you’re not happy to see me go. I know you do.”

“No, we’re not. We’re like…bro—”

“Stop it, Chanyeol. Sorry, he’s already sobbing.”

“Aww. You really cared for me now, huh? Try to feel and see what’s been happening to Seyoon. If Kai isn’t making any move, I have no choice.”

“What will you do?” Chanyeol asked as he wiped the remaining tears from his eyes. He didn’t want to admit it but he really saw Kris as a brother-like friend and it really hurt to see him go.

“I’ll talk to Jongin.” There was silence before Kris spoke again. “And, I promise to treat you two before I leave.”

---

Kris suddenly thought of how he pressured Seyoon to take the decision about his plans – his and Suho’s plan to be precise – for her. That was impossible especially when he knew that he was just giving her an option. And it was not as if her decision would affect the people around her that much especially Kai. Whatever was bugging Seyoon lately, he deemed to find out.

Suddenly, Seyoon’s room door opened revealing her with two cups, a tea pot, and the pastries that Kris brought earlier prior to his visit.

Seyoon seemed happy though especially when she opened the door with a smile on her face. She had always been smiling whenever she was with him. Unless that smile was a form of a mask to hide something, Kris did not doubt Seyoon’s sincerity when they were together.

“How are you?”

Seyoon settled the tray on her nightstand and sat beside Kris on her bed. “Why did you ask me that all of a sudden?”

“Nothing. Just curious, your brother I mean.”

“Tell him that I’m fine.” Seyoon looked at Kris without her eyes twitching or a hint of lies in her voice.

“Okay. I’ll tell him that then.”

“So, how’s your preparation?” asked Kris as he watched Seyoon started pouring tea on their cups.

“Preparation for what?”

“The audition.”

It was then that he saw her almost dropped the teapot. If not only for her tight grip on the cup, it might have fell on Kris’ lap and the hot pouring liquid might have burn his thigh.

“I’m doing fine. My friends helped me so I’ll try to do my best for them.” Seyoon smiled but with her eyes avoiding Kris (or maybe because she was focusing on pouring the tea).

“Good then. If you’re chosen for the scholarship then you won’t have any problems anymore. But, don’t be complacent especially when there are a lot who desired for the scholarship.”

---

Kai went home early after Luhan begged him to do so. The doe-eyed boy was exhausted enough and Kai knew that. He felt sorry for dragging Luhan just for him to escape his problems for a while. But he knew that he couldn’t hide anymore and keep avoiding the obstacles ahead of him. He also knew that it wouldn’t take too much time before Luhan would realize that he was facing a big problem. After all, he was occasionally absentminded every time they would have a break during practice.

Kai entered the apartment slowly just to sense if Seyoon was already home. When he heard no noise coming from the living room or the kitchen, he comfortably entered their house and made his way to his room. But it wasn’t minute before he heard voices coming from Seyoon’s room. He closed his door quietly before leaning his head against the wall, just like what he did last time, to listen to whoever Seyoon was talking with.

“But Kris, I already told you that I’ll think about it. What if my parents find out about this? Or Kai’s parents?”

“So what? Seyoon, look, I know that I’m being too pushy about this but it’s for your own good. If your parents don’t support you, I’ll be there for you. If you want me to beg that they should let you go, I will.”

“You don’t have to. I don’t want to drag you into this.”

“Fine, I’ll let you go. Just give your best on your audition. But I’ll leave the files here in case you want to look at them. I know it’s hard for you to process everything but you have to do this. We couldn’t let that girl have her way before us. Think about it.”

Kai withdrew from the wall as he plopped down his bed. “There’s no way Seyoon would do it, would she?” Kai kept questioning himself. No matter how vague their conversation were, he still need the evidence to find if Seyoon and Kris were really into the plan of exposing his relationship with Krystal. He should have his hands on those files that they were talking about. That was the only way for him to stop his suspicion. He admitted that he couldn’t take things anymore; he couldn’t take avoiding Seyoon anymore.

There were still feelings waiting to be said.

---

It was a day before the audition when Seyoon had already made her decision.

Her hands trembled when she reached the student council room. Earlier that day, she managed to ask Kyungsoo for the keys to the file cabinet containing the applications for the audition. It was the student council’s duty to keep the files before the audition and Kyungsoo was the one assigned to it.

She scanned the hallway just to make sure that none of her friends were there. She carefully closed the door before locking it.

She made her way to the files as she scanned for the application she was looking for. It didn’t take long before she pulled one application from the piles of aspiring students who were also betting their luck for the scholarship. She carefully read the well-thought words that filled each section box – the ‘future goals’, ‘reason for applying’, and ‘plans if not accepted’. She took a deep breath.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered in between ripping sounds of papers torn in half.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered when the picture attached to the application was carefully ripped into half. The goals and aspirations coming after, falling pieces reached the floor.

“I’m sorry,” she said as she picked the fallen evidences on the floor before shoving it on the trashcan so no one could see what kind of thing she had done.

“I’m sorry,” was all she could say on the person whose dream was slowly ripped by her.

---

It did take a lot of courage before Kai turned the knob of Seyoon’s room door.

Once the bell rang, he immediately left the classroom, dashing to the corridors without looking back to the voice calling his name from behind. It was Luhan. And even though he wanted to thank him for helping him in the past two weeks of practice, he also needed to be home earlier before Seyoon could even step a foot out of their school gates. He would just thank Luhan tomorrow then.

Kai was taken aback by the scent of lavender wafting inside her room, a sign that he was entering someone’s privacy without permission. He hated how the scent controlled him as if his it was slowly taking the sting out of his aching chest. As if he was already conditioned to mellow down the same way when he first met Seyoon in the school cafeteria. He was accustomed by the scent but he wanted to take his thoughts away from his sense of smell to his sense of sight as he tried to look for the files given by Kris.

It was now or never, he said to himself as he opened each drawer on her desk, but he had seen nothing. He went to the nightstand beside her bed as he pulled the first drawer on the top then the next until he reached the last drawer at the bottom. He didn’t know if it was delight or dismay that conquered him when he saw an envelope lying inside. The suspense was slowly killing him, knowing that he would face the truth any second now.

He slowly removed the string closure before taking a peek inside – a horror that shrouded him in a matter of seconds. The bed dipped as he tried to calm himself, sitting down on the soft mattress. There were things that were too much to handle, more things he couldn’t understand. Why would Kris give Seyoon pictures of him and Krystal together? The photos were different from the photos he saw earlier with Seyoon. So it was true that Seyoon and Kris are into this together?

Kai’s thoughts were disturbed when a heard a click coming from the door. He didn’t move from the bed though. He needed an explanation. Maybe…maybe it was all a coincident. Maybe she has nothing to do with all of it. Maybe it was Kris’ sole plan after all.

“Kai?” Seyoon stared wide-eye on the man sitting on her bed, not hearing the loud thud caused by her bag touching the floor. Dark brown orbs starring at her waiting for an explanation.

Kai stood up, trudging his way to Seyoon. The more Seyoon looked scared, the more he was convinced that she was hiding something from him. And that gradually shattered his heart into pieces. “Seyoon,” he said, trying to sound calm but with a hint of desperation.

Seyoon looked at him; eyes were panic-stricken. She couldn’t hide it anymore especially when her eyes darted on the enveloped in Kai’s hand. There is no way out. Impulse had taken over her, heavy breaths in between movements before her hand stealthily stole away the files from Kai’s hand causing a surprised look from him.

“Why? Why do you have those?!” his voice was now a shift louder than usual.

“You shouldn’t enter someone’s room without permission, Kai,” a soft voice escaped Seyoon which Kai found unusually odd. Was it something she learned from her cold-faced friend slash former lover?

“Then, you shouldn’t enter into someone else’s personal affairs without permission!” That was it. His plan of being calm was gone, now was reality. Kai saw how Seyoon flinched with his loud borderline shouting voice, her chest heaved deeply, before trying to calm herself down.

“It’s—”

“It’s what?! What is it?!” Kai asked desperately. “What is it because I need an explanation now, Seyoon?”

The way her name escaped Kai’s mouth was so sharp, invisibly creating cut on her.

“I’m sorry,” was everything Kai heard from her. None of the long explanation or Kris’ name on the process or at least a denial saying that she had nothing to do with it. “I’m sorry,” she repeated again.

“So, these are yours then. Or shall I say these are you and Kris’ plan.”

Seyoon’s eyes widened. “What are you saying? Kris has nothing to do with this. Don-don’t drag him please,” she said as she averted her gaze to the floor.

Kai’s hand clenched when he heard Seyoon plead. She’s covering Kris now, huh? He couldn’t help himself anymore as he held Seyoon’s shoulders rather tightly. Seyoon held his arms in return, trying to get away from him. “Why? Why are you doing this? Does Kris ask you to do this? Is he threatening you?” Kai asked concernedly.

“No. Let me go,” said Seyoon as she struggled with Kai’s tightening grip. “Kris is doing nothing. Those – those pictures are mine.”

“Why are you covering for him, Seyoon? You don’t have to deny it. I heard your conversation the other day and yesterday. I know he’s making you do something for him, about his plan or something. You don’t have to comply.”

“I said Kris has nothing to do with this!” Seyoon gripped Kai’s hand tighter to remove them from holding her. “And what we have talked about has nothing to do with you.”

“What about those? You’re saying that these are all your idea, exposing our relationship, destroying somebody else’s reputation?” Kai got the chance to retrieve the photos from Seyoon’s hand.

“I’m sorry.”

“Stop apologizing! Is that all you can say? Why can’t you say that you do nothing? Is that hard to say?”

“Please just…just give me back the photos.”

“You know that Krystal is currently in a scholarship in our school. You also know that she’s auditioning for the university scholarship. You’re not greedy enough to take that away from her, are you? Tell me, why are you doing this? Just tell me? You’re not selfish, right?”

“I can’t.”

“What? What is it that you can’t do? You can’t tell me the reason because it’s true, is that it?”

“Just give me back the photos, Kai,” Seyoon said nonchalantly, eyes staring straightly to Kai’s.

Kai felt his anger gradually taking over his mind. He couldn’t let it. He wanted to be calm as much as possible, as rational as possible.

“Just trust me, Kai,” her gaze soften, Kai noticed. “Trust me and give me back the photos.” She reached her hand but before she even had her hands on the photos, Kai took out the photos and ripped it apart.

“Leave us alone. Leave Krystal and me alone. If you want to withdraw from the marriage, you should just do it. Krystal has nothing to do with this,” he said in a monotone voice.

Seyoon watched the photos ripped into pieces just like the application she ripped earlier.

Kai reached the door as Seyoon stared at his back facing her. “And you don’t have to cover for Kris. If you’re tired being dragged into this marriage then just quit. I won’t stop you. I’ll never will,” he said before closing the door. If that’s what makes you happy.

---

Seyoon remained lying on her bed. She didn’t change from her uniform yet as she stared on the blank ceiling. A part of her wanted to explain the truth to Kai but a part of her also wanted to remain silent for the time being, not until everything was settled and in place.

She had to make a decision whether to comply with Kris’ plan or not. She knew that his plan was one of the ways to free herself from the agreement that was binding her, but she was still afraid of the possible consequences. Kai could be the next target of their parents if she did go with Kris’ plan. She wouldn’t let that happen.

She arranged the pictures again, picking the ripped pieces together – the stolen shots of Krystal and Kai together which hurt her deeply each time she saw them – and put it back to an envelope before putting it inside the drawer on the top of the envelope given to her by Kris yesterday. She just wished she didn’t put it there. She just wished she just hid it inside her locker like the rests of the photos that were sent to her.

She couldn’t go to the extent of destroying someone else’s dream. No, she couldn’t.

Let alone her dreams be shattered then.

 

~*~

Seyoon sat beside Kris with the tea cups both in their hands. The aroma of the pastries wafted in the air.

“So, have you thought about the offer I’m giving you?” Kris started the conversation again. “If you don’t pass the audition, at least, you have a back-up plan. Suho and I did our best to look for the best music schools in New York for you. You just have to fill out the application.”

“But Kris, I already told you that I’ll think about it. What if my parents find out about this? Or Kai’s parents?”

“So what? Seyoon, look, I know that I’m being too pushy about this but it’s for your own good. If your parents don’t support you, I’ll be there for you. If you want me to beg that they should let you go, I will.”

“You don’t have to. I don’t want to drag you into this.”

“Fine, I’ll let you go. Just give your best on your audition. But I’ll leave the files here in case you want to look at them. I know it’s hard for you to process everything but you have to do this. We couldn’t let that girl have her way before us. Think about it.”

Seyoon looked at him, pouting. “Fine, just leave the application in my drawer if that what makes you comfortable. Tell my brother ‘thanks’ by the way,” she said shyly as she stared on her tea.

“I knew your heart would soften when you hear your brother’s name. He wouldn’t stop bickering about it you know, that’s why I also won’t stop until I convince you.”

“I know. By the way, why are you referring to Yoona-noona as ‘that girl’? Do you hate her that much?”

“Tsk. She’s really annoying. Every time I visit your parents’ office, she was always there with that smile. I think she likes me.”

Seyoon laughed. “No. I’m sure she was only overwhelmed by your height. Besides, she already knew that you’re uhm—you know.”

“Really? I just thought…whatever. But we have to be fast. Like I said, that girl is on our way. If she already passed the applications that your parents filled out for you to those business schools, there’s a greater possibility that you’ll end up studying business as your course for four years Seyoon, four boring years. Don’t let your parents decide your course for you. I’m sure your brother also wants you to fight for your own desire like what he did.”

“But what if Kai would be the one that they’ll push to study business…”

“Still that guy, huh? Why are you so kind to him?”

“I just don’t want him to give up his passion. He’s meant for it.”

~*~

 

Seyoon closed her eyes as she tried to forget everything that happened today. She didn’t cry, she wouldn’t – not even when she heard her door closed earlier with Kai leaving her without looking at her; not even when it created a sting to her heart that hurt beyond what she could handle. She promised not to cry anymore…not for the man that didn’t love her back.

---

“Good morning, Kai!” Luhan greeted him as soon as he entered their classroom.

“Good morning,” he said monotonously. At least, he still had the energy to greet Luhan even though he was not in the mood to speak to anyone today. All he wanted to do was to focus on the audition later.

“Is Seyoon already there?” Luhan asked, head tilted slightly.

“I don’t know,” he replied though he knew that she was probably inside their classroom now because she was already gone when Kai woke up.

“Good morning!” Chanyeol greeted happily with his loud deep voice. “Hi, Kai! Good thing you’re here. Where’s Seyoon?” Chanyeol asked him.

“Seyoon hasn’t arrived yet?” Luhan asked. Chanyeol swayed his head.

“No. That’s why I’m asking Kai. Kyungsoo brought this tea,” he said as he waved the bottle in front of them. “He said that it’s good for the voice. Seyoon should drink this now so her voice will be ready later for the audition. Have you seen her?” Chanyeol grinned

“No. She already left when I woke up this morning…she should be here.”

“Oh,” Chanyeol could only look at Luhan. “Why don’t we wait for Seyoon outside? Will you come with me Luhan?”

“That’s a great idea,” said Luhan as he stood up and followed Chanyeol outside.

“Maybe Kris knows,” Chanyeol whispered and Luhan nodded.